• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, it's down for me too. Lots of people begins hoarding up stuff I guess.
Sony:

keikaku.jpg

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
I finally switched my 80GB PS3 hard drive to a 500GB one I had laying around, went through installing and all, and am now redownloading all my games. I backed up my saves to a USB stick.

Good god the PS3 PS Store UI is AWFUL now.

It's also annoying there's no "download all" button and you have to go click each game individually, and then wait almost a minute to have each one background download.

At least this way I won't lose my chance to play the Digital Devil Saga and Raidou games though.

Use this instead: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/home/games?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp
with this extension: https://repod.github.io/psdle/

It'll help you filter all of your purchases so that you can select what you want to download saving you time and the headache of using the PS3's storefront.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
There's a "downloads" section on the PS store where you can easily find your purchases though.

True but you still have to scroll through purchases for every console. With that extension you can filter out demos, add-ons, and games for other systems. Just thought I'd offer an easier way to find your stuff.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Funny enough, I was actually about to buy a PS3 game on the store yesterday, but this news instead made me buy the physical copy. I'd rather not deal with any hassle in the future with digital versions for these old systems if the support is being ripped out. I'll just try to stick with physical, since if digital is lost those prices are going to get unreasonable.

I'm mostly worried about my Vita library though, that's about 95% digital and I only have a 4GB card. I do have a PSTV that I've set up with SD2VITA but I'm a bit too afraid to connect my actual PSN account to it so it's been a bit of a paperweight. I still remember how nuclear Sony were with PS3 CFW and your PSN account.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Dumb question #387: how the hell do you pick a 256GB micro sd card for sd2vita? Theres always multiple similar ones under the same brand.

Sony sure knows how to make me blow money on shit I never even considered before. Seriously hope there is some good news when they announce this officially.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, I was actually about to buy a PS3 game on the store yesterday, but this news instead made me buy the physical copy. I'd rather not deal with any hassle in the future with digital versions for these old systems if the support is being ripped out. I'll just try to stick with physical, since if digital is lost those prices are going to get unreasonable.

I'm mostly worried about my Vita library though, that's about 95% digital and I only have a 4GB card. I do have a PSTV that I've set up with SD2VITA but I'm a bit too afraid to connect my actual PSN account to it so it's been a bit of a paperweight. I still remember how nuclear Sony were with PS3 CFW and your PSN account.
I use SD2VITA and download games off the store no issues.

As long as you don't pirate, you have nothing to worry about.

tris20

Aug 25, 2020
well, this was exppected.
but i dont mind if i can redownload what i own.

ooorrrr

psnow will have all these games and if you bought it you can stream it.
i have read somewhere. (long ago) that sony wants to. when you buy one game on disc you can have it as download and for streaming.
cant find the pic sorry guys

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
will have all these games and if you bought it you can stream it.
i have read somewhere. (long ago) that sony wants to. when you buy one game on disc you can have it as download and for streaming.
cant find the pic sorry guys

I mean some PS3 games are already available on PS Now but even if all the games, dlc etc were magically transferred to PSNOW, Sony still has to actually launch PSNOW out of the 15 or so countries that it is in currently to the rest of the world.

tris20

Aug 25, 2020
I mean some PS3 games are already available on PS Now but even if all the games, dlc etc were magically transferred to PSNOW, Sony still has to actually launch PSNOW out of the 15 or so countries that it is in currently to the rest of the world.
then its time for sony to do it now.

its takes to long in mine opinion.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
man, Sony news right now feels like that Simpsons cursed frozen Yogurt bit. for every piece of good news theres bad news to follow.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Shit. Do we have a thread on PS3 exclusives that didn't make it to PS4?

I've been waiting for a sale on Tokyo Jungle for ages, didn't realize Sony had blocked devs from doing discounts.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
There's a "downloads" section on the PS store where you can easily find your purchases though.
The download list on the consoles / old web store only show downloads listed by purchase date. That extension let's you filter by platform, PS+ titles, dlc items, avatars, etc. It also has a text search if you are looking for something specific.

Essential if you have hundreds or thousands of items and lets you filter out any PSP/Vita Stuff.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Lol... oh Sony. Always disappointing everyone. Used to be my childhood heroes. Never again. Backwards draconian company with shitty plans for the digital future.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Holy Crap I can't believe that CMOS battery preventing you from playing games is real

This is probably not in the spirit of this thread, but this is why I like the digital future (at least the digital future as it should be). Hardware will fail, disks will scratch, formats will change. Digital gives the opportunity to keep old games relevant on new systems. I will happily keep updating my hardware if I can download all my old games on to it. Problem is PS doesn't let me do that like Xbox does.

I realise that the Pre-PS4 era is difficult for Sony because of the Cell, but there's no reason why we couldn't have PS1 classics by now, and to be honest PSP as well. This is something Sony needs to sort because its frankly embarassing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What are you trying to buy PS3 games with? Some said PSN cards work I believe.

I haven't tried that in a long time, but I don't really prefer to since that leaves extra money for no reason on my account. Idk. I guess since I do still use PS5 that that money will get used eventually.

It still works on the desktop site more easily anyway. Finally got it to work. I don't know why sometimes it won't lead and says forbidden or whatever.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Has MGS IV been removed from PS Now? I swear it was on the service before. Great, won't even be available there soon then :/

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Aaand that is why some of us have been sounding the warning bells about DLC and patches for the last decade. If you think it is bad on PS3, the 360 can't even store patches forever like the PS3 does - if Microsoft ever killed off the 360 servers (thankfully unlikely with them now embracing BC) all your DLC and saves relying on DLC would be dead, because the patches are stored in a small inaccessible partition on the hard drive that is regularly purged.

Wait hold up, where are you getting this info? I have had my 360 for a very long time and not once have I had to redownload a patch even going a long time between playing some games.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What are the chances that at some point in the future on PS5 or PS6 we'll be able to access PS3/Vita games that were tied to our PSN accounts if they ever offer another solution to playing these?

I know that sounds really un Sony like, but you never know

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
What are the chances that at some point in the future on PS5 or PS6 we'll be able to access PS3/Vita games that were tied to our PSN accounts if they ever offer another solution to playing these?

The chances of sony doing it are low but its 100% possible to emulate those on ps5.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If they keep records of your purchases, technically possible. There may be some legal/licensing restrictions, however.

My gut tells me purchases on the legacy store are locked to that store, even if Sony develops some sort of BC solution you will probably need to rebuy your games - I'm not sure they will import those purchases to the new infrastructure and any store closure would be them drawing a line in the sand in that regard.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably not in the spirit of this thread, but this is why I like the digital future (at least the digital future as it should be). Hardware will fail, disks will scratch, formats will change. Digital gives the opportunity to keep old games relevant on new systems. I will happily keep updating my hardware if I can download all my old games on to it. Problem is PS doesn't let me do that like Xbox does.

I realise that the Pre-PS4 era is difficult for Sony because of the Cell, but there's no reason why we couldn't have PS1 classics by now, and to be honest PSP as well. This is something Sony needs to sort because its frankly embarassing.

I'm not sure you're ever going to see that digital future truly realised while buying games within a closed console platform. Xbox is undoubtedly leading the way in bringing your library forward, but I don't think they even got close to 50% BC compatibility with 360 games and they haven't added any new ones for almost 2 years now. There is going to come a time when the OG 360 is cut off from accessing the Xbox network too.

I think supporting open platforms like the PC with DRM-free releases is the only way that future happens.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The chances of sony doing it are low but its 100% possible to emulate those on ps5.

Yeah I know they can emulate, I was just wondering if Sony will have a log somewhere of older games tied to each PSN account, and if they would be able to pair this with a new listing of these games should they reinstate them (or a way to play them) on newer Sony systems

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Holy Crap I can't believe that CMOS battery preventing you from playing games is real

I feel for the folks in here who have said they were buying physical PS4 games to avoid digital lock out only to find themselves in the same situation.

Might have to look at replacing the cmos battery on my PS4 Pro in a few years while services are still up to maximise its life in storage.

edit: and my PS3! Guess that's a future weekend project lined up.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah I know they can emulate, I was just wondering if Sony will have a log somewhere of older games tied to each PSN account, and if they would be able to pair this with a new listing of these games should they reinstate them (or a way to play them) on newer Sony systems
The things im about to say are completely out of my ass but i think they are definitely going to keep a log. I dont even think they are gonna close the download servers. As for a new way for playing them.....sony will just resell them to us as simple ports/remasters. If we are lucky, if xbox does well i feel like they are gonna tackle bc more.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure you're ever going to see that digital future truly realised while buying games within a closed console platform. Xbox is undoubtedly leading the way in bringing your library forward, but I don't think they even got close to 50% BC compatibility with 360 games and they haven't added any new ones for almost 2 years now. There is going to come a time when the OG 360 is cut off from accessing the Xbox network too.

I think supporting open platforms like the PC with DRM-free releases is the only way that future happens.

360 wont be cut from the xbox network any time soon with games being bc and the "less than 50%" figure is when you consider a whole bunch of micro titles from live arcade days which just is disingenuous, its like saying pc lost 20% of their library as well when all shitty flash indie games from sites you never heard of stopped being compatible and werent saved by that big flash dump someone made.

And pc would be the best one in this regard if people actually used GOG instead, but no, everyone uses steam and they still have their DRM and "infinitely small chance which is not even worth discussing but since you're mentioning it for others" chance of cutting you off from your digital purchases

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I hope Sony address this closer to the systems end of life

Can Sony not disable the need for this check on their end?

If not, then I guess we put our faith in hackers
Yes, this is what I would like to know as well. Is it hypothetically possible for them to put out an update to disable this cmos check in thing once they're ready to shut it all down? I always figured the store (and even the ability to redownload stuff) would eventually be shut down, but I mean, making it so you can't even play the stuff on your Console (or even physical games in the case of PS4) just seems.... Sadistic? Like, why would they even do this? Can they not fix it?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The things im about to say are completely out of my ass but i think they are definitely going to keep a log. I dont even think they are gonna close the download servers. As for a new way for playing them.....sony will just resell them to us as simple ports/remasters. If we are lucky, if xbox does well i feel like they are gonna tackle bc more.

Yeah I'm hoping Xbox buying studios and publishers and pushing BC gives them a massive collection of games and Sony starts to panic

An easy way for Sony to bolster the number of games they are offering is to go back to BC, which is cheaper than making acquisitions

Even if they just dumped as many PS1/PS2 games as possible onto PSN that would be seen as a massive plus

I know they have streaming options but I want to be able to download games at least, even if they're on a Game Pass like service

If the PS6 launches with just PS4 and PS5 games being BC, and the Series X2 launches with games spanning generations dating from 2001 - 2027, then I may just go all in on Xbox and have a PS6 as a companion console (so the opposite of what I'm doing this gen)

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, this is what I would like to know as well. Is it hypothetically possible for them to put out an update to disable this cmos check in thing once they're ready to shut it all down? I always figured the store (and even the ability to redownload stuff) would eventually be shut down, but I mean, making it so you can't even play the stuff on your Console (or even physical games in the case of PS4) just seems.... Sadistic? Like, why would they even do this? Can they not fix it?

Does it invalidate the end user agreement? The licence you buy when you pay for the game doesn't say the owner can terminate access at their discretion does it? If the licence doesn't end then legally you can still access the software right?

Also if they release an update as you suggest, then any reformatted or new PS4, or an older system that wasn't fully updated when the servers went down, would still be locked out I think, unless there was a way to download the update from another site and update your PS4 via USB (I think you could do this with PS3, but I'm not sure if you can do this with PS4)

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Wait hold up, where are you getting this info? I have had my 360 for a very long time and not once have I had to redownload a patch even going a long time between playing some games.
Depends how many games and how large the patches were, from what I recall small ones are stored in cache and larger ones as title updates with the former being the problem. Back in the day I tried to get the patches for all of my games onto the hard drive at once before a house move where I'd be without internet for a while, and by the time I had reached double digits if I put the first game back in the patch would need to be downloaded again. Nothing I could do would let me keep all the patches because they weren't accessible, so I had to resort to putting some of the patches onto a 64mb memory card instead (remember those things?)

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I installed a CFW on my PS3 thanks to this news. I have zero faith in Sony allowing me to re-download PSN games and patches. Now to backup my games for posterity.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Treat your discs better. All games I bought first hand are still pristine when it comes to scratches.
Okay well, disks will rot then. The point is your disks will not work forever, your hardware will not last forever. Game manufacturers could be offering us a digital solution where those aren't a concern. But they largely aren't.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
So is there any reliable way to check which games are on the European Vita store? The Japanese store lets you sort games by publisher and it works beautifully. The European store on the other hand doesn't even show certain games in the appropriate category, for instance Castlevania Chronicles shows up if you search for it but it's not listed under PSP games "A-C" which completely defeats the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.