• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
6.1534 is out, for now US only.
Benefits and Improvements
Adds features to enhance PlayStation®5 (PS5™) performance:
Improves the HDR feature
Adds support for Auto Genre Picture Mode
Adds support for the Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) feature
Improves general performance of the TV
I hope it soon comes to the EU XH90 models
🙂

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Improves the HDR feature
🙂
I updated. But I PS5 doesn't have VRR yet so I'll wait to enable that setting.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Improves the HDR feature
🙂

edit: my bad it's a new VRR version.

Local dimming still off when VRR active... yeah sony another failed...

edit 2: The problem still on any other model, seem software, still waiting...

the new update seems to have fixed my issues with my sonos bar and the TV. Super happy with this update.

Nice mean earc problem is solved ?

Last edited:
V6.1534 FW Links

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
I picked up a 950H last year second hand for a really great price, but at the time felt like I may have made a mistake missing out on the gaming features of the 900H. Have to say it feels like I made the right choice given the implementation of gaming features over the year. The 950 on the other hand has been great. Excellent HDR and decent enough as a gaming TV

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
The android 10 update introduced lag to my TV, now after installing this newest update the lag is gone :)

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
This is a different update than the first VRR update a few weeks ago? Does it fix the frame stutter issue when playing 24fps content through non built in apps?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will fix the issue where I need to switch HDMI ports for Switch every time I try to play it. PS5/Series S seem to work just fine.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Have you attempted using a different HDMI cord for your Switch? And do you have it set to auto power on your TV when you turn it on?

I'll have to check the auto power function. I switched HDMI cords, I even moved it to a different tv and nothing reproduces the issue. It's very random and strange. Never happened before the update.

I have this Tv, a ps5, and switch and have 0 issues when turning any of them on.

A few people in here have said they don't have the issue. I'm just the lucky winner I guess.

Jul 24, 2018
Glad to see this is finally rolling out, hopefully there aren't any issues after the fact. Just need Sony to release the VRR patch for PS5 now

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I'll have to check the auto power function. I switched HDMI cords, I even moved it to a different tv and nothing reproduces the issue. It's very random and strange. Never happened before the update.

A few people in here have said they don't have the issue. I'm just the lucky winner I guess.

Make sure tv and switch have the correct settings and detect them on the tv.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I don't know man. Used VRR on this TV with my Series X and it wasn't pretty. Went back to 4k 120hz mode instead.

Yeah, VRR isn't remotely worth losing local dimming. Seems like most/all current FALD TVs either disable local dimming or greatly reduce the number of dimming zones when VRR is on.

I'm thinking VRR will be something I use next gen and on my next TV at this point.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
VRR works great on PC thanks to Nvidia control panel allowing very fine tuning especially brightness and contrast. I honestly barely notice local dimming being gone.

The only annoying thing is having to tweak NVCP settings for each game differently.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
VRR works great on PC thanks to Nvidia control panel allowing very fine tuning especially brightness and contrast. I honestly barely notice local dimming being gone.

The only annoying thing is having to tweak NVCP settings for each game differently.
Local dimming really only makes a big difference when you're watching content in HDR.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed with how all the updates turned out for this TV for futureproofing (honestly not that worried about VRR or 120hz for current gen consoles), but for the $1200 I got the TV for I still feel like it was a solid buy. My gaming PC is in the basement and I use a 1440p/144hz monitor on that, while this TV is used primarily for console gaming/media streaming where 4K60 feels fine, and 120hz is always at a price for console gaming anyways.

For a future basement TV or TV I'd use often with a high-end PC, I'd definitely not plan on counting on updates like this in the future, and would want to get a display that is KNOWN to work well out of the box (LG OLED most notably).

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
I am now confused on the PS5 settings because 2 of Vincent videos are contradictory.

In the video, which he links at the end of this video, for adjusting the HDR settings on PS5, he said that we should do the first 2 steps one click higher than when the icon is barely visible, so in the end it is not visible at all. But now on this video he says it should be 15 clicks from the bottom, but when I do it like this on the first step the icon is still very much visible. The second step it is different and almost fully invisible.

So not sure which method to use in order to get the most out of the HDR picture when gaming on this TV.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
So I installed that A90J update that was talked about here a couple months ago to fix some of the issues I was having (with 720p content for example) and my version number is too high now (6.36) to roll back to the newest X90H update (6.15.)

I'm thinking I probably shouldn't stay on the A90J firmware and just wait until I can switch again, but is there a way to just go back to 6.15 *now*?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
How do you even activate VRR? A tickable box is greyed out on Series X. I'm not sure how to set it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I am now confused on the PS5 settings because 2 of Vincent videos are contradictory.

In the video, which he links at the end of this video, for adjusting the HDR settings on PS5, he said that we should do the first 2 steps one click higher than when the icon is barely visible, so in the end it is not visible at all. But now on this video he says it should be 15 clicks from the bottom, but when I do it like this on the first step the icon is still very much visible. The second step it is different and almost fully invisible.

So not sure which method to use in order to get the most out of the HDR picture when gaming on this TV.
Do it as he says or watch the other video that gives more details. You're supposed to see the icon with those settings because it depends on your tonemapping setting. Just have it set to gradiation preferred and then 15, 15, 0.

P.S. Oops, double posted.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So I installed that A90J update that was talked about here a couple months ago to fix some of the issues I was having (with 720p content for example) and my version number is too high now (6.36) to roll back to the newest X90H update (6.15.)

I'm thinking I probably shouldn't stay on the A90J firmware and just wait until I can switch again, but is there a way to just go back to 6.15 *now*?
Pretty sure there's no way to downgrade. That was the risk you ran with installing a firmware for a different model unfortunately...

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
After lots of troubleshooting and testing it looks like there's a compatibility issue with this tv and the switch oled dock.

The oled dock works fine on my other tv and the old switch dock works fine with oled switch on this tv.

But the oled dock and this tv only seem to "connect" one out of every 10 times.

And this wasn't an issue before the update.

Weird and frustrating. Anyone else with the oled dock specifically having this problem?

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
After lots of troubleshooting and testing it looks like there's a compatibility issue with this tv and the switch oled dock.

The oled dock works fine on my other tv and the old switch dock works fine with oled switch on this tv.

But the oled dock and this tv only seem to "connect" one out of every 10 times.

And this wasn't an issue before the update.

Weird and frustrating. Anyone else with the oled dock specifically having this problem?

no OLED dock issues for me. Try a different HDMI cable? Are you using the new OLED cable or the OG switch dock cable? I believe the OG switch dock cable was 1.4 whereas the OLED cable is 2.0.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you are set to Enhanced (VRR) on the HDMI input where your XSX is plugged in.
Hmmm. All I see is Dolby Vision mode which doesn't automatically do VRR. Still really bad (155ms) input delay on XSX with Dolby Vision on. Not sure if VRR would fix this, but at least I'd like to see the option available to select in the XSX menus...

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
I have been dismissing the update notifications on my x90h (Canada) for a while now, Should I go ahead and update it ooor? I got a PS5.

Jun 10, 2018
Hmmm. All I see is Dolby Vision mode which doesn't automatically do VRR. Still really bad (155ms) input delay on XSX with Dolby Vision on. Not sure if VRR would fix this, but at least I'd like to see the option available to select in the XSX menus...
VRR mode doesn't have Dolby Vision as it has 4K @ 120hz (though not really as VRR only outputs at 60hz). But VRR increases input lag quite a bit on this TV for some reason, it's 26ms with VRR vs 15ms at 60hz and 6.7ms at 120hz. VRR is not something I'd even recommend using with this TV, it's basically broken.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
VRR mode doesn't have Dolby Vision as it has 4K @ 120hz (though not really as VRR only outputs at 60hz). But VRR increases input lag quite a bit on this TV for some reason, it's 26ms with VRR vs 15ms at 60hz and 6.7ms at 120hz. VRR is not something I'd even recommend using with this TV, it's basically broken.
Joy... hoping I can use Dolby Vision gaming mode on my Series X with this TV someday.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
no OLED dock issues for me. Try a different HDMI cable? Are you using the new OLED cable or the OG switch dock cable? I believe the OG switch dock cable was 1.4 whereas the OLED cable is 2.0.

Yeah I've tried every combination I could think of but it's always comes down to the oled dock and the tv not working.

I'm gonna try again tomorrow to see if I'm overlooking something.

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
I asked Vincent from HDTVTest on his latest video about the 2 different methods of setting up PS5 HDR, why the 2 videos use different settings and which should we use for our XH90/X900H and this is what he answered.

Thanks again to Vincent, people like him make our lives easier and better :)

zZzYL9E.png

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
I asked Vincent from HDTVTest on his latest video about the 2 different methods of setting up PS5 HDR, why the 2 videos use different settings and which should we use for our XH90/X900H and this is what he answered.

Thanks again to Vincent, people like him make our lives easier and better :)

zZzYL9E.png

The video refuses to play for me so I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Does this mean to press dpad down until you hit the limit, then press up 15 times for the first two screens, and then leave the third screen at the default (or on the third screen press down until you hit the limit and leave it there)?

arnes91

Oct 1, 2021
The video refuses to play for me so I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Does this mean to press dpad down until you hit the limit, then press up 15 times for the first two screens, and then leave the third screen at the default (or on the third screen press down until you hit the limit and leave it there)?
You are partly correct. For the first 2 steps go down until the limit and then up 15 times, for the last/third step go all the way down until you hit the limit and let it stay there for best blacks.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So I just checked some other TV with this media tek chip and all have 120HZ resolution reduction and VRR backlight issues(TCL,Philips, Panasonic). So don't expect anything for x900h. The only option is to get LG OLED at the moment as Samsung high-end tv also don't handle VRR with all bells and whistles and don't have DV

ACH1LL3US

Aug 6, 2020
So I just checked some other TV with this media tek chip and all have 120HZ resolution reduction and VRR backlight issues(TCL,Philips, Panasonic). So don't expect anything for x900h. The only option is to get LG OLED at the moment as Samsung high-end tv also don't handle VRR with all bells and whistles and don't have DV

100% , I feel the only option to still get 120hz 4k , VRR with good blacks for gaming will require an LG oled right now. Hopefully Sony and Samsung bring their A game in 2022….