• Total voters

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
"The white panels on both sides could be removed by the users themselves"
rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

Only to found out that without those faceplates, PS5 was just like without any skins. 😄

*SIGH* Maybe future revision have sleeker designs, I hope...

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
That is a thicc fan, huge heat sink and mother board too.

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Very interesting. I'm still not convinced by the form factor, I'm sure they could have come up with a smaller solution (the psu and heatsink alone are massive) but the important thing is PS5 users are gonna get a great console by the looks of things. I like the little disclaimer at the end saying the dust catchers don't guarantee the console won't get clogged by dust.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Big takeaways:
  • the size of the whole enchilada
  • the thickness of that fan, holy shit
  • the size of the heat sink
  • liquid metal!

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
In love with that heatsink.
The SSD expansion bay is a win. Great solution.

Exceptionally well engineered console.
Yeah, it does look like they've put a lot of effort to the cooling system. Essentially, 70% of the total volume is devoted to it.

It also looks fairly expensive. Liquid metal, gigantic heatsink and a big fan probably aren't cheap.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
PS5 slim will be tiny solely because that huge heat sink is going away. That thing is absolutely massive.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
  • More than two USB ports
  • Swappable stand
  • Removable panels
  • Dust traps
  • Easy expansion installation
  • Chunky fan
  • Huge heatsink
  • Liquid metal
  • Vibration dampeners
Bravo, Sony.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit at the fan and the heatsink. It will definitely be quieter than the PS4/PS4 Pro at their most jet-enginest.

I noticed that there wasn't a way to swap out the SSD; the hard drive slot was built into the motherboard (which is normal for SSD drives even on PC's). The side effect with that is it's very easy to damage/have ESD on SSD drives. I can't tell you how many times I or another tech has had to contact a manufacturer for a replacement SSD after the device failed to recognize it. One of the first things I did with my PS4 Pro was get a bigger hard drive. So I guess I'll be using/getting an external hard drive too.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty impressive. I'm surprised by how clean yet complex the internals are.

Fitting the SSD seems pretty easy as well

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
The heat sink is just gargantuan.

It's way better.
Look at Gamer Nexus' Bechmarks

Liquid Metal vs. Thermal Paste Benchmarks: Intel’s Thermal Problem, Pt1 | GamersNexus

stub There are many reasons that Intel may have opted for TIM with their CPUs, and given that the company hasn’t offered a statement of substance, we really have no exact idea of why different materials are selected. Using TIM could be a matter of cost – as seems to be the default assumption –...

That is great to hear. Finally a silent console :D

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Watching this the PS5 seems bigger than I expected, while the XSX looked smaller after watching all the YouTube previews. Two very different engineering approaches. One thing is sure, this amount of computing power needs serious cooling. Can't wait to have them side by side.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
With that massive fan, massive heatsink, liquid metal and 350W PSU I think the variable clock "concern" is going to prove to be very, very unfounded.

It's not going to be throttling thermally that's for sure.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
That cooling solution is fucking insane.
Liquid metal, that fan is as deep as the console pretty much and that beautiful ass copper heat sink my goodness.
And the nvme looks easy to install and I was right they have a Soldered the SSD to the board.
It's not copper. Looks like Aluminium heatsink and a copper alloy for the backplate and heatpipe.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly find the Xbox Series X a way more elegant design. That looks bulky and chunky and the heatsink is fucking massive.

The M2 storage expansion sounds nice, but looking how he removed the side panels it looked like they could break easily lol

I mean ITX builds are elegant and nice to look at as well.
But the trade off is thermals.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
They have patented a capsule to ensure it doesn't spill in any scenario.

Liquid metal cooling should give it practically 'endless lifespan' compared to thermal paste, not least much more effective cooling.
That's great to hear. Dodgy thermal paste application being a big cause of noisy PS4 Pros and the early Xbox One X failures.

Oct 27, 2017
I can appreciate the design a little bit better now I've seen what's inside.
I still feel it's a bit too big for a console though.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
iFixit : 9/10
I'm only concerned about the internal storage : no way to replace it.
As any SSD with limited write/read, is it something to need to worry ?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
yikes, i would much rather but a ssd card from the outside like xbox than have to open it up and put a ssd that hopefully works there
How often you gonna swap your drive?! It's a one and done thing. Just pop the cover off, unscrew metal cover, put M2 drive in and you are done.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sadly no mention of what exactly the requirements forr PCIe 4.0 is, was hoping it would be a discussion point when showing the odd slot. That heatsink though, it big. I will fear taking the sides off just like I did with the PS4, when I eventually get one. I always feared breaking the damn plastic when I needed to clean or change internal on PS4.