• Dust Traps

Votes: 515 14.6%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 744 21.1%

• Total voters

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
3 questions/comments:
- the stand seems overly complicted. why do you need a scewdriver to change positions
- the swapping of the faceplates seems cool (if this is correct)
- i didnt watch the full video, was the mystery of the nut solved

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Me to this thread :
2meo8i.jpg

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Why is it so big? I'm actually shocked how big it is considering Sony is a Japanese company, and electronic media devices being this big usually doesn't fly too well with their home market. They need a slim revision ASAP. Like within the next 2-3 years.

I don't think Sony is concerned with the region all that much anymore. They've given up trying to compete with Nintendo on the handheld/mobile market that dominates Japan and Xbox will never be a significant brand there so if any Japanese company is going to develop a home console only title for the market, it will be PS by default.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think the main problem is people.

If the console is vertical, it HAS to have the standoff for airflow (at least, all the vids of airflow lead me to believe this)

If you make it optional, people are going to brick their consoles.

4-Reasons-the-Xbox-Series-X-is-better-than-the-PS5-Airflow.png.webp
so basically if you make sure your console wobbles/is not safe without a stand, you make sure people attach it and dont brick their consoles

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
With face plates removal being that easy, I think some people may anticipate and just paint them black. There are quite a few means of painting plastic, with tons of Youtube instructions.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The entire back side of the console is exhaust. I wouldn't call that "small" by any measure.

That definitely wouldn't help, you'd just be ruining the intake.

I assumed that the back of the system was intake and the top is exhaust. Is that reversed?

There's some really strange design choices here.

edit: The console was really designed to lay flat.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like many people are going to be too afraid to add additional SSD storage and will just buy a new PS5 when a new model with additional storage comes out in 2-3 years. I recall quite a few people that were afraid to open the HDD compartment on PS3/PS4.

The huge advantage here is that upgrading the internal storage doesn't necessitate reinstalling the console OS like those other consoles did. If the plates come off that easily and there's again decent instructions I don't think it'll be too bad at all.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Don't listen to the people telling you to install a mesh cover or pop off a cover. Lowering the air velocity through the heat sinks will decrease the convective flux vector.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that even with the stand it looks like the PS5 was designed to be able to do both. Keeping the stand attached to the Series X just makes it look like someone's decided to put it on it's side for convenience rather than it being an aesthetic choice.
Agreed.

That said we still don't know 100% whether or not the stand will be removable on the final retail version of the XSX. And if it's not and enough people complain you can bet they'll be a quick revision where it can be.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main problem is people.

If the console is vertical, it HAS to have the standoff for airflow (at least, all the vids of airflow lead me to believe this)

If you make it optional, people are going to brick their consoles.

4-Reasons-the-Xbox-Series-X-is-better-than-the-PS5-Airflow.png.webp

It can't be the only airflow. Videos have shown lots of vents on the rear bottom of the case opposite the drive slot, and the stand it a few mm thick covering most of the base. There will be barely any airflow coming in the bottom - most will come in the rear. I bet you could remove the stand, put it vertically blocking the bottom vents and it'd make almost no difference.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced by the cooling design, blowers are usually a bad idea and really noisy.
The problems with blowers in GPU is how inefficient the airflow is from them. The main goal of an air cooler is to push as much air as possible through as much fins as possible, and have it exit before it reaches equilibrium temperature with the fins, and thus cannot absorb any more heat.

The PS5 does not look like it will have the problems blower GPUs have:
Screenshot_20201007-100405_Samsung_Notes.jpg

Quick sketch, top is your standard GPU bottom is PS5. Most blower GPUs have a really long fin stack, anda blower thats choked on two sides trying to push across. The fins are short meaning the air has to get as far across them as possible, while getting all the way to the other side absorbing heat in a way that they are not saturated by the time they reach the end of the fin stack. If the fins are 60 degrees, and the air reaches 60 degrees at the halfway point, the entre second half of the fin stack would do nothing. So to compensate for this, the fan has to spin faster to push the air through the fin stack faster. Couple this with blowers usually being short fans and they basically have to go fucking nuts to cool a GPU.

The PS5 on the other hand, has a much taller fan, allowing it to move more air at lower RPMs, and the fin stacks surround it much more, allowing its energy to be far less wasted and the air its moving to be far more used for actual cooling.

The biggest thing that makes me curious about the PS5 design is the valley in the lower portion, with the fin stacks oriented on the skinny part so that its angled and actually blocking the fan. I believe they are using turbulence to push air through the bottom section and into the lowest portion of the fin stacks more efficiently, though im not sure why this would be better than if they just had the fins lined directly with the fan. I would love to see an airflow imaging of this cooler like what Gamers Nexus has, but that would be incredibly hard to pull off.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Panel covering PS4 drive could just slide away and be easily removed (something I JUST discovered a couple months ago about my launch day PS4) but I have never seen custom replacements, at least certainly not official ones. Did they specifically mention they'd come ? couldn't watch yet.

(man it is huge. He's probably a small guy, but it's hilariously big : D i don't mind tbh)

I have an official bloodborne replacement ps4 panel I got from the sony online shop. I don't have a PS4 it fits on anymore (it was only for the OG) but they were out there.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
3 questions/comments:
- the stand seems overly complicted. why do you need a scewdriver to change positions
- you can use a coin I think lol. And it's only needed to lock for vertical position I think.
- no more mystery nut that I can see haha

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Its similar to PS3 and PS4. You remove the HDD panel/slit (remove or slide off the underside PS5 panel), unscrew the drive from the bay (unscrew the cover of the expansion slot), insert HDD into the bay and screw it in (insert M.2, screw it in, screw the cover back on) slide drive back in and plug the panel/slit back in (slide panel back into place).
This time its just a MUCH LARGER slit ;)
I use an external USB HDD for my PS4 lol. I'll probably fuck it up somehow trying to do this for the PS5. *sigh*

Oct 27, 2017
Panel covering PS4 drive could just slide away and be easily removed (something I JUST discovered a couple months ago about my launch day PS4) but I have never seen custom replacements, at least certainly not official ones. Did they specifically mention they'd come ? couldn't watch yet.

(man it is huge. He's probably a small guy, but it's hilariously big : D i don't mind tbh)
www.playstation.com

404 - This page doesn't exist.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
3 questions/comments:
Screw only when it's erect.
Removable yes, it's just waiting for aftermarket plates, or Sony designed ones
Nut not solved

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
All white removeable plastic shell...

The gundam model painter in me just got an erection. Char's Red Comet Colored PS5 coming in a month~

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the PS4 pro heat sink in comparison
youtu.be

PlayStation 4 Pro Teardown | PS4 Pro

http://www.playstation.com/ps4-proPS4 Pro is PlayStation’s most powerful console yet. But what does it look like on the inside? Find out in PlayStation.Blog'...

Should be time stamped, 8 minute Mark.
even that heat sink seems big for how poor the end result was.

Althought it never overheated the fan was clearly rubbish. At least they've made the fan much bigger now.

oYxJzFe.png

Nov 29, 2018
Fuck is it ever a chonker lol
But, as someone with a PS4PRO that is so loud it actually stops me from turning it on at times because it's so ridiculously loud, I could fucking care less if it was as big my home theater receiver.
I am satisfied with their focus on cooling in the design. (Watch some of them be loud regardless lol)

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I assumed that the back of the system was intake and the top is exhaust. Is that reversed?

There's some really strange design choices here.

Yes, it's reversed. It's a blower fan, they rely on air pressure, so they push the airflow through the heatsink and out.

Just get the black paint spray and do it yourself

Yup, it's likely ABS, trivial to sand, prime and paint away. If you have an airbrush available, model acrylics do a GREAT job with ABS.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
That heatsink though.

EjumAkkU0AEenUg

6oiSGqH.png

Three sets of fins stacks. Two are set right up against the rear exhaust area. The slanted set is right next to an intake for the PSU to receive some airflow. Keep in mind the PS4 Pro heatsink was only about the size of the slanted area and was placed in *front* of the PSU (to cool it as well) instead of directly near an exhaust vent.

Cool info about the cooling.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The fan geometry is twice the height as the PS4 Pro blower, and 25% bigger diameter, Napkin math gives 3x more airflow at the same RPM, higher static pressure, but the tip velocity only increased by 12% at the same RPM.

There is a very nice airflow to the SSD cavity and sufficient height.

Dust Traps are a great addition, so are the holes specifically made to use a vaccum to clean them. It's not described as air filters so I think the idea could be to created a trap in a lower flow area which is not restrictive. Air filters however are restrictive by design and can cause hissing sound and inefficiency.

Liquid metal is adding to the cost, but using heatpipes allows a lower price than VC for the same cooling capacity, and it allows spreading the outlet over a much larger surface area across the entire back. A VC of that size would have been cost-prohibitive.

A lot more surface area of heatsink fins means both the outlet air and the conducted heat to the case will be much cooler than the XSX. So does the cool air cavity created by the side panels clearance, which isolate the surface even more from the heatsink.

TL;DR
Low turbulence, low RPM, massive heatsink surface area, groundbreaking thermal interface. I like.

Last edited: