• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
I hope an official Sony approved plates seller shows up eventually, I don't expect it right away though. Probably down the line once we've gotten used to the look.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Honest question, what's the difference between this and buying after market bumper covers for your car? I'm not talking body kits but exact replicas but just cheaper?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is so dumb. Very soon the ability for anybody to 3D print there own will be out there and they won't be able to fight that. If they wanted to sell them on their own terms than they shouldn't have made it just out of plastic.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, what's the difference between this and buying after market bumper covers for your car? I'm not talking body kits but exact replicas but just cheaper?

Probably just because this is happening pre-launch and Sony likely has their own custom faceplates in the works, or officially licensed companies to make them on their behalf. Give it a year or so and I bet Sony won't care about third party faceplate makers anymore when PS5 has been out for long enough.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Shame for them, but futile for Sony. In like a month anyone who really wants one will be able to get one or even make their own, as they should be able to

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Par for the course. Didn't microsoft let 3rd party companies sell the 360 faceplate?

I'd be really surprised if there weren't licensing agreements there.

It seems here, the problem is two fold, in that the name is incredibly close to PlayStation, and the product wasn't licensed in any manner. The race to be the first ones to make these available may have bit them in the ass.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
One of the people who got a PS5 for review (I don't remember who it was but it was one of those podcast people like Kinda Funny Games or whatever) had a PS5 with gray faceplates, how did he get those??

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
In principle I think Sony should allow people to sell third-party plates, especially if Sony themselves don't intend to enter that market. But if you couldn't see that this company was a fly-by-night business that was sketchy at best (how on earth do they know how to make the plates when they don't even have access to a PlayStation 5?) and chose a name that was guaranteed to attract a lawsuit, I don't know what to say.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
A bit of context. Worth a watch.

So why did he title his video like that? Is it for Youtube algorithms? Good job on his research though.

I did the thing when the PS5's plates were shown to he removable... went straight to Alibaba to see if anyone started anything.

Aug 9, 2018
Of course Sony can't really stop all unofficial aftermarket plate/panel sales but in this case it was easy to go after this particular company since they themselves made it easy for Sony to go after them.

Also after watching the video posted by Iwao the company seems shady. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just saying that they are the ones manufacturing the custom plates while really they will just be getting it from Alibaba (once it starts selling them) and repackage those with their brand.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Of course Sony can't really stop all unofficial aftermarket plate/panel sales but in this case it was easy to go after this particular company since they themselves made it easy for Sony to go after them.

Also after watching the video posted by Iwao the company seems shady. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just saying that they are the ones manufacturing the custom plates while really they will just be getting it from Alibaba (once it starts selling them) and repackage those with their brand.
After watching that video I'm not going to be ordering anything from them when they do have their stuff back up.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
did sony ever send c&d to ps4 custom plates manufacturers?
i'm sure ps4 has custom plates too no?

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One of the people who got a PS5 for review (I don't remember who it was but it was one of those podcast people like Kinda Funny Games or whatever) had a PS5 with gray faceplates, how did he get those??
It was skins glued to the original white plates. Not 3rd party new color plates. The interior of those plates was still white.

Lol, when something looks shady, it probably is.

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Sony needs to wring every dollar they can out of people. The reason for the plates being so easy to remove and customize is so they can sell "Limited Edition" ones down the line

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sony needs to wring every dollar they can out of people. The reason for the plates being so easy to remove and customize is so they can sell "Limited Edition" ones down the line
Is that a bad thing now? Would be better if you only had the option to buy a Limited Edition console if you wanted a new look other than skins?

plain

Oct 27, 2017
This is so dumb. Very soon the ability for anybody to 3D print there own will be out there and they won't be able to fight that. If they wanted to sell them on their own terms than they shouldn't have made it just out of plastic.

Is Sony against 3d printing for personal use or against SELLING unlicensed faceplates that may or may not affect air flow?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The exact design is protected by patent, including materials, logos, etc. As long as they aren't making shells that are designed to look exactly like the original PS5 shell and stamping the PS logo on them, there is nothing legally wrong with selling aftermarket parts. People mod hardware all the time; this is not illegal.
Sorry that is not how patent infringement works. There are things like intent etc. You can't just change one tiny thing to not be infringing anymore.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
After watching that video, it appears they were shut down for good reason. Good riddance.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that is not how patent infringement works. There are things like intent etc. You can't just change one tiny thing to not be infringing anymore.

Good luck proving intent when they were obviously not trying to pass off the shells as official. Hardware modding is not illegal. Sony doesn't get to dictate who makes what when it comes to aftermarket sales. Apple tried to shut down 3rd party repair parts/shops and lost. Sony would lose here.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck proving intent when they were obviously not trying to pass off the shells as official. Hardware modding is not illegal. Sony doesn't get to dictate who makes what when it comes to aftermarket sales. Apple tried to shut down 3rd party repair parts/shops and lost. Sony would lose here.
There is absolutely intent to produce plates that are almost indistinguishable from the original. They used Photoshops of official ps5 renders. Apple vs 3rd party repair shop is a different case altogether. Sony would definitely not lose here.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Sony can't be losing any money here. They gotta hit you for that $500 console, $70 game, $70 controller, $60 online subscription and the NEW customizable faceplates you can only buy from them for another $50! But don't worry, they're "for the players" /s

They might have agreements with companies to sell officially licensed ones

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is absolutely intent to produce plates that are almost indistinguishable from the original. They used Photoshops of official ps5 renders. Apple vs 3rd party repair shop is a different case altogether. Sony would definitely not lose here.

Yes, they would. Even the most litigious of the big 3 - Nintendo - doesn't go after hardware mods. It's dumb and it's dumb to defend this.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they would. Even the most litigious of the big 3 - Nintendo - doesn't go after hardware mods. It's dumb and it's dumb to defend this.
Hardware mods is different from things that are a 1:1 match to original parts. I work in patent litigation. For biotech, but still. This is how things work. In European patent law, at least

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardware mods is different from things that are a 1:1 match to original parts. I work in patent litigation. For biotech, but still. This is how things work. In European patent law, at least

It wasn't a 1:1 match and it wasn't being sold as official or licensed. You guys are just saying things in defense of this action.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
With Sony (and many other companies, I'm sure), winning isn't the intent. Sony isn't above throwing lawsuits at companies with the intention of putting them out of business as a result of smaller companies not being able to afford to continue defending themselves against lawsuits. Sony's done it before. It happened with Bleem! and Lik Sang.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't a 1:1 match and it wasn't being sold as official or licensed. You guys are just saying things in defense of this action.
Im saying things in how intellectual property protection works. It was a 1:0.99 match then, still infringing, you can't add/leave out 1 little detail to circumvent patents. Its not how IP protection works.

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Sony is sourcing the same legal team that handle patents that Nintendo use

They didn't do shit with PS4s faceplate and I expect the same this gen so I don't get why they get all fussy about it

Fake edit: then again if your website was called Platestation 5 then you fucked up lol

Aug 9, 2018
You could argue that the way they initially named the brand was so close to PlayStation 5 branding that it might be mistaken as an officially licensed product by Sony. I agree that they cannot really dictate who makes what, and they can't really go after every unofficial after market plates but like I said this particular company didn't do themselves any favor with their initial branding.

Also, with their recent actions it makes me doubt that they are even manufacturing the plates that they were selling. Like I said earlier, maybe they intended to just buy those plates from Alibaba once it is available and just repackage them with their branding.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
They just need to sell covers that can attach to the existing face plates to circumvent this one, I think. Doesn't change the form of the existing plate, but allows for changing its look.

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm just wondering, based on how some posters here are arguing, how big is a company allowed to get before defending their patents/ip suddenly becomes "anti-consumer"?

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Ah...I see.

So their plan was to resell a product from Alibaba. It's not a bad hustle tbh, but sometimes there's a fine line between a hustle and a scam and they crossed over into scam territory. I doubt that they had engineers, or the dimensions as claimed. They were simply going to receive their Alibaba shipment, make sure the thing actually fits, mark it up around 600% and then ship it to you.

Surely not the spirited small company people had in mind when they say things like Sony is crushing the little guys.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
Two options here, I think.

Either Sony are planning on selling their own replacement shells and this would be in direct competition with them, ooooor...

Sony can't guarantee that someone won't.make a shell that somehow impedes airflow, preventing the system from being cooled properly and doesn't want to deal with the claims in relation to that.

Or bonus third option, lawyers gonna lawyer.
First option - There'd be a huge market for people wanting to customize the console look. I would be surprised if they didn't create their own faceplates.
Second option - that's a really good point
Third option - damn straight they gonna