Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they patch this soonish, it's nice have a silent console again and it sucks when every now and again it loudly reads a disc for no reason lol.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Same here. It's also very loud in general when reading disks, like its trying to take off the runway :P. Even playing non-related games or media, it will randomly spin up and since its so loud, it is super annoying. Especially when compared to XSX which does non of that non-sense and even when reading disks is very quiet.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the disc drive is MUCH louder than I was expecting. When I was installing Demon's Souls I thought my system was faulty. The random spin ups are annoying but I expect Sony will address them. If it's a hardware thing, then I'll chalk it up to a risk of early adoption.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
It does it with PS4 Discs as well. How long are your sessions? I notice it spinning up after an hour or so.
Hours. I installed No Man's Sky from disc and played it for a good while to just to confirm that it wasn't (noticeably) happening for me. I've also left a disc inside while streaming shows or while the console was idling for hours without ever noticing it spin up.

Of course, now that I've said this, the disc drive started making a lot of noise while it was automatically reinstalling NMS after I deleted it. Shouldn't have pushed my luck. 😅

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It seens like this thread and the one on reddit got some media attention

www.vg247.com

PS5 bug causes disc to spin every hour for seemingly no reason

The PlayStation 5 appears to have a strange bug that causes the disc in the drive to spin periodically.

PS5 disc spinning at random times: How to fix the loud disc drive noise on PlayStation 5

There seems to be a bug where a disk in a PS5 spins at random occurrences..

wccftech.com

New PlayStation 5 Bug Causes Disc to Spin Seemingly At Random

Some PlayStation 5 users are being plagued with a frustrating issue that causes discs to spin at random even while not in use.

Some seems to say that some people factory resetted their ps5 and it was gone but that seems to be BS from what im seeing.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah mine will happen when I launch the console and at random periods when playing.

It's the only time the console is audible over the TV volume.

Otherwise I can hear the fans when the TV is muted and I'm sat about 7 feet away from the console in the TV stand.

Kinda disappointed with the noise when compared to the series X, which is dead silent.

But it's hard to be too upset after going through Tlou2 on a PS4 Pro during the summer 😂

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Still no news about what's causing this? Any solution on how to fix it? Is it a software bug?

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
This is definitely happening to me. Kinda makes me regret buying the physical disc version. Can hear the disc spinning up a good 6-8 feet and it's super loud.

Just spins up randomly even when I'm playing a digital game or watching Netflix.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to keep annoying you until you go all digital. All according to keikaku.

Seriously though it's weird and Sony needs it patch that out.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
of all the stuff people have been seeing, i think mine has been doing this

haven't had a single crash or loud coil noise or anything else

edit: ahh very glad it's just a bug. we need stability! give my son the stability!

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
This is definitely happening to me. Kinda makes me regret buying the physical disc version. Can hear the disc spinning up a good 6-8 feet and it's super loud.

Just spins up randomly even when I'm playing a digital game or watching Netflix.

You can literally only hear it for like 15 seconds, yeah it's not optimal but some of you are being a bit dramatic.

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a security thing that they won't disable then they need to at least slow down the disc speed. It sounds terrible and can even be heard downstairs in my house due to vibration.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Thi slowly eroding my sanity. Maybe I should eject the disk before I do something crazy lol.

Lagras

Banned
Nov 17, 2020
Mine sometimes with MK11 ps4 disk goes full crazy and starts spinning the dick all the time. The only solution is to close the game and remove and reinsert the disk, then it will only spin for like 15 seconds and from time to time, for short seconds

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020

Only goes for about 10 seconds doesn't it?

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
It happens to mine, and I don't think its a bug... hope they change the behavior though

I've been playing digital games mostly with no disc inserted, and definitely happier

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Still no news about what's causing this? Any solution on how to fix it? Is it a software bug?
Nope still unknown what causes it, and yea its a software bug bc its also doing it when watching youtube and netflix when a disk is inside.

If it's a security thing that they won't disable then they need to at least slow down the disc speed. It sounds terrible and can even be heard downstairs in my house due to vibration.
Its not, if it where a security thing they would do it when watching netflix or youtube.

It happens to mine, and I don't think its a bug... hope they change the behavior though

I've been playing digital games mostly with no disc inserted, and definitely happier
What do you think it is then? i dont think its a security thing. There is 0 benefit to know if my spiderman disk is inside the system when watching netflix or youtube.

And why would they need to check every hour? you cant eject a disk from the system without the software hardclosing.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Even less.

I don't care at all, just few seconds and complete silence after that. If Sony address it fine, but there's more important things to care about.
sure there are more problems than that, luckily i havent had one problem since launch. But still in a quiet game like assassins creed or in the future resident evil 8 it could get really annoying in quiet moments in the game. The problem is not that it spins persé, although i dont see a need for it to spin every hour. Biut more that its goes in max overdrive when doing so, if its really a new verification system on ps5 than please do it at the lowest speed possible.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Mine does this too....i just resorted to removing the game disc when i'm not playing.

Annoying and i hope there is a fix in the works

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mine does it too. Really hope this is something Sony can fix because it's really annoying!

krg

Oct 27, 2017
this and coil whine reports are keeping me away from getting it. Come on Sony...fix it already.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Sorry for the bump, its just that this is still the most annoying about the PS5. I get no other issues like coil whine etc but having the discs randomly sound like it will take of for 15 seconds every hour.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone noticed the disc spinning up when they actually start the game that's in the drive?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So has anyone noticed the disc spinning up when they actually start the game that's in the drive?
They've always done that. In fact, that's when it's supposed to check the disc, to verify that you "own" the game you're about to play. It's pretty much every other time it spins up that's sick and wrong and needs to be patched.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. But it's a small amount of time.
Sorry for the bump, its just that this is still the most annoying about the PS5. I get no other issues like coil whine etc but having the discs randomly sound like it will take of for 15 seconds every hour.
It seems like it is by design. I don't know anyone who doesn't have this happen.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
They've always done that. In fact, that's when it's supposed to check the disc, to verify that you "own" the game you're about to play. It's pretty much every other time it spins up that's sick and wrong and needs to be patched.
I was asking because I didn't notice it the last time I started No Man's Sky, which is the disc in my system.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It's super annoying. My guess is there's a "license check" every hour when playing a disk based game and they programmed it poorly and as a result it checks every hour, even if you are not playing a disk based game.

Oct 28, 2017
This is annoyingly real, and really annoying.

OP is right, I will be streaming Netflix, and the game will start spinning. I have noticed when I am not playing anything, start to watch TV, waiting for the PS5 to go into rest mode, i will hear the disc start spinning. This wouldn't normally be a big deal, but the disc drive is loud/noisy. Probably just a cheap drive.

HOWEVER, when I watch UHD Movies, it spins up in the beginning and is kinda loud for like 30seconds to a minute, just loading the disc menu and stuff. But by the time I start the movie, the disc drive is pretty quiet throughout the entire movie. I never hear it. So I would argue that when you have a UHD Disc in, it isn't doing these disc checks at all (which it shouldn't be really) and that UHD movies are quieter than game discs just when spinning up in general.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
No problem. The bump is appreciated tbh.

Lets hope sony sees this and fixes this. No need for varification after you started a game, and completely useless when watching netflix.

If only it was at a lower rpm it wouldnt stick out as much, but thats only applicable if its indeed some sort of DRM.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
My guess is that this is an intentional security check since it happens with every console. I doubt Sony will change this behavior - and if they do so it will only be for when the game is actually running.