OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I turned on my PS5 after the update and launched Ghost of Tsushima with the Miles Morales disc in the drive, I heard it spin only during the initial startup of the console, and then nothing for over an hour. I was working so I could've missed it if it was indeed quiet, but if it was as loud as it was before the patch then I would have definitely heard it. 100% an improvement. Probably won't hear it during gameplay unless it happens during a very quiet moment.
Yup, as i thought. This basically what you hear when you put your ear next to it and mute all audio

This was recorded with my phone 10cm in front of the disk drive

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Played for several hours last night, didn't hear it at all. So even if it does a short spin, it's inaudible now.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played for several hours last night, didn't hear it at all. So even if it does a short spin, it's inaudible now.
Same. I played Yakuza 7 on disk for hours last night and didn't hear a thing.

I'm gonna test to see if it still spins like crazy during a new game install tho.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Did you just update the controller firmware? That happens to me whenever the controller updates until the next time I turn the console on.
Can the controller get updated via Bluetooth, or do I need to connect it via USB?

I'm also wondering why it's listed as "Wireless Controller" on PS5 and not "DualSense"; DS4 is listed as "DualShock 4" for instance.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So it's better? I can't tell because era can be weird sometimes because of the Coil whine thread. Guess I'll just have to try myself
Can the controller get updated via Bluetooth, or do I need to connect it via USB?

I'm also wondering why it's listed as "Wireless Controller" on PS5 and not "DualSense"; DS4 is listed as "DualShock 4" for instance.
have to plug it in to update

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
So it's better? I can't tell because era can be weird sometimes because of the Coil whine thread. Guess I'll just have to try myself
Infinitely better. Before, every hour I could hear it slowly spin up to a sustained noticeable volume, for about 10 seconds total. I use fairly low evening game volume, and largely read subtitles for dialog, so it was clearly noticeable, even if brief. Last night I played about 3 hours, so should have heard it at least twice and did not hear a single thing. So even if it does spin up now as some mention, it's either much much lower volume, or much much shorter in that it gets lost in the normal game sound. A half second or a second is not really enough to notice and distract if that's what we're getting, and I didn't even notice that.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Infinitely better. Before, every hour I could hear it slowly spin up to a sustained noticeable volume, for about 10 seconds total. I use fairly low evening game volume, and largely read subtitles for dialog, so it was clearly noticeable, even if brief. Last night I played about 3 hours, so should have heard it at least twice and did not hear a single thing. So even if it does spin up now as some mention, it's either much much lower volume, or much much shorter in that it gets lost in the normal game sound. A half second or a second is not really enough to notice and distract if that's what we're getting, and I didn't even notice that.
nice. i stop playing disc games because of the disc spin especially when i wasn't even playing the game.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
haven't heard a peep since yesterday mine wasn't overtly loud when it would spin up but haven't heard anything since the update?