Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
If Series X is $399 I'll eat a crow.
And I buy you and me one ;)

fuck YES! I shall PM you my shipping address!

To be fair, a $399 asking price for Xbox Series X is a bit of a stretch. But when you lay down all the cards, it would make sense if Microsoft is really aiming to hit hard with market penetration at launch and compete with Sony @ a $399 PS5. It may be worth the loss in hardware for higher attach rates with Gamepass subs.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017

To be fair, a $399 asking price for Xbox Series X is a bit of a stretch. But when you lay down all the cards, it would make sense if Microsoft is really aiming to hit hard with market penetration at launch and compete with Sony @ a $399 PS5. It may be worth the $$ lost in hardware for higher attach rates with Gamepass subs.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Good point on the historical cost, accounting for inflation.

A $399 would be the cheapest hardware sony has EVER released, and there's not a good reason to believe their base is particularly price sensitive given that the 6+ year old ps4 is STILL selling tremendously well at $299.

On $599 i disagree. I think $599 is a psychological barrier, and calls up comparisons to the ps3 that Sony would rather avoid.

It'll be $499.
I still think the price of 499 is not impossible but quite optimistic. My bet is on either 549 or 599. I don't think 599 will be a problem if the value is there especially considering we buy new consoles once every what 5,7 years. The launch price may be affected by projected reduction in manufacturing cost but to bet on that and sell at a loss initially is a big risk and I don't think either companies will be willing to take it. Its much safer to wait and reduce the selling price once manufacturing cost does go down.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If we're still arguing what the real name is in a enthusiasts forum, maybe it wasn't that clear in the first place.

Things will get better when they explai what's going on with the Lockhart, will it launch 2020 as well? What will it be called?

Will help with the message, imo.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Good point on the historical cost, accounting for inflation.

A $399 would be the cheapest hardware sony has EVER released, and there's not a good reason to believe their base is particularly price sensitive given that the 6+ year old ps4 is STILL selling tremendously well at $299.

On $599 i disagree. I think $599 is a psychological barrier, and calls up comparisons to the ps3 that Sony would rather avoid.

It'll be $499.

I don't think some people notice how pricing has change this gen.
The days of permanent price drops is steps done .
They will do bundles and temp price drops for price sensitive people but keep the price as high as long as possible.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Snatched the mike out of Lisa's hands.

Phil: " Imma let you finish"
9515192dW.jpg

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation is a global brand with name power, Xbox is more so UK and US among other areas.

That could change with a good forward thinking consumer friendly, competition aggressive strategy with high quality first party titles for the Xbox brand but that has to be a constant push for an entire generation and can't be changed over night.

Also Sony would have to screw up and be less aggressive on top of that.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I think an underrated thing to consider for this next gen of consoles is just how different the console landscape was in 2013 compared to 2020.

In 2013 - It's hard to remember, but there was a lot of doom and gloom talk about the future of consoles. I think both Microsoft and PlayStation played it "safe" from a power standpoint and were not as willing to take on initial losses per unit sold. PlayStation took the risk of more power and cheaper price and it paid off tenfold.

Contrast that to 2020 - PSN and Xbox Live profits have increased exponentially and are a driver of record profits. Digital distribution, the increased acceptance of recurring subscriptions and perpetual monetization (just pointing out a reality, not that this is good for consumers) and just the overall "health" of the industry is in a different world than in 2013. The assumption is that there is MASSIVE money to be made in the console gaming arena in the near future.

All this is to say that it is IMPERATIVE to attempt to lock down users in a consoles ecosystem. Losing money on the initial hardware sale, especially on a "hardcore" buyer considering purchasing a console at launch, will almost assuredly be a great "bet" to make if you factor in the likely years of subscription costs and the likely substantial amount of purchases they'll make via their consoles ecosystem over multiple years.

The early years of the Xbox One were plagued for many reasons, but I think chief among them was the Xbox being dragged at basically every multi-platform release from a power differential. I just don't see either Xbox or PlayStation putting themselves in such a position this time around. The recent "leaked" differential between the PS5 and Series X I just don't buy for a myriad of reasons. Chief among them, PS5 "playing it safe" by going for a less powerful and likely less loss per unit sold would be, in my opinion, extremely risky. That would be playing the short game rather than the long game.

To sum it all up - I think Xbox and PlayStation are going to be wayyy more willing to take a loss on initial console sales and will offer much more powerful consoles this time around. I totally see them both being 12+ TF's and less than $500. The rumored "slight" power differential of 10-15% sounds about right to me as well.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Do you think the iPhone names confuses the casuals? How the consoles are communicated to the masses is ultimately up to their marketing. Regardless, I just see most people going in and asking for the new Xbox, something they probably did with the 360 and the One in the past.

iPhone has always been iPhone. Xbox has been all over the place

True, but I would also argue iphone has always been iphone while xbox has had weird branding and sub models most of it's life. And also iphone being more brand relevant fo it's section has alot to do with people not having issue with it's naming scheme. XBox has been on the down most of this gen, with things like it's services, and focus on gamepass with cross-PC pollination being the highlights.

I think just calling it Xbox would have been fine for introducing it first. Then at launch they could have done model X, Model S(D- for digtial) or whatever. It just comes off as confusing for people outside these forums and such.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I mean if we're still arguing what the real name is in a enthusiasts forum, the message wasn't that clear in the first place.

I think they should also make clear what's going on with the Lockhart, will it launch 2020 as well? What will it be called?

Would help clarify the message, imo.
Its pretty bad if you ask me. Xbox 5 would had been better imo. But what do i know

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

To be fair, a $399 asking price for Xbox Series X is a bit of a stretch. But when you lay down all the cards, it would make sense if Microsoft is really aiming to hit hard with market penetration at launch and compete with Sony @ a $399 PS5. It may be worth the loss in hardware for higher attach rates with Gamepass subs.
TBH I find 399 PS5 even a stretch.

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
TBH I find 399 PS5 even a stretch.

Ultimately, I see PS5 and Xbox Series X to be launching at the same price. I would find it incredibly odd if they both are truly close in performance and power, to have one priced $100 over the other. Either $399 or $499 make sense, particularly when you factor in the ongoing subscriptions both parties have planned for next year. I'd expect tiered subs with varying feature set are imminent.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I really do not like the way that MS names its consoles - it's very, very confusing. What if they just have decided to make numerous iterations of it like a PC? That would be different. Series X has these features, while the Series Y has a bigger SSD, and more memory ...

And Apple has gotten confusing as well. That's a direct result of Jobs death, IMO

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really do not like the way that MS names its consoles - it's very, very confusing. What if they just have decided to make numerous iterations of it like a PC? That would be different. Series X has these features, while the Series Y has a bigger SSD, and more memory ...

And Apple has gotten confusing as well. That's a direct result of Jobs death, IMO

I'm under the impression that's what they are doing. It's an xbox, but the version shown is the "series X". Lockhart will probably be "series S" when announced.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
If we're still arguing what the real name is in a enthusiasts forum, maybe it wasn't that clear in the first place.

Things will get better when they explai what's going on with the Lockhart, will it launch 2020 as well? What will it be called?

While their messaging may well be fucked (we'll have to wait and see) the confusion in this thread shouldn't be any indication of that. Usually intelligent posters can get very obtuse in order to prove a point and it's not relegated to this topic alone. It happens with all platforms, cell phones, etc.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Let's be honest, no one here is truly confused on the names.

iPhone has always been iPhone. Xbox has been all over the place

True, but I would also argue iphone has always been iphone while xbox has had weird branding and sub models most of it's life. And also iphone being more brand relevant fo it's section has alot to do with people not having issue with it's naming scheme. XBox has been on the down most of this gen, with things like it's services, and focus on gamepass with cross-PC pollination being the highlights.

I think just calling it Xbox would have been fine for introducing it first. Then at launch they could have done model X, Model S(D- for digtial) or whatever. It just comes off as confusing for people outside these forums and such.

For the casuals that would be confused by a name, they'd be confused regardless. That's why they refer to these systems as the Nintendo, Xbox, or playstation, no matter what the name really is. So for many of these people, it might as well always been called Xbox because that's the name they've always recognized. For example, my mom has never referred to the 360 as the Xbox 360, it's always just been Xbox, same with the Playstation or Nintendo systems I've owned.

I don't think leaving the series X out of the announcement would have done them any favors. The casual audience will be confused regardless, leaving out the Series X would have had some of us scratching our heads though. Getting the full name and version out there is the best way to increase awareness of your product.

Oct 25, 2017
I think all the naming and # of console confusion concerns are totally overblown. This type of stuff is researched and focus tested to death by companies. We see so many products in the consumer electronics space with multiple skus and it is rarely an issue.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Lmao. Why would you block a person who is very likely to have real information ? On a speculation thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.