Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the top of the 5 extends behind the P's z-plane gives me anxiety.
Legend.

When a bunch of insiders drop by the thread but don't share anything, I always get excited some info is about to drop.
preach
So there might be a Switch Pro on the way. For all the talk about how Jimmy's grandma is going to fuck up and get him the wrong Xbox or get so frustrated trying to figure it out she says fuck it and takes his Christmas money to bingo....how has Jimmy's grandma waded through all the different Nintendo models over the years?
grandma 🐐

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Their console their rules, i see what you mean but in practice it seems like it the same if lockhart is also gonna be called a series s, but thanks for actually pointing out what they mean
I hope it's not Series S. XSS isn't the best idea to use over here. Series D, please (Digital, if disc-less of course that is).

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I've posted this before, but figure I'll throw it out there again after reading your post.

I do not see any potential form factor that supports a $399 price tag. Look at their pricing model over the years.

1995 - $299 PS ($504.63 today)
2000 - $299 PS2 ($446.60 today)
2006 - $499/$599 PS3 ($636.64/$764.22 today)
2013 - $399 PS4 ($440.54 today)
2016 - $399 PS4 Pro ($427.60 today)
2020 - ???? PS5

I believe this thing is going to be $499, minimum, especially considering they've never once in their history not gone with a -99 price tag for a mainline console release.

I'm very much in the camp that it will be $599, based on all of the tech we already know is in the BOM. If it's less than that because they decide to operate at a loss initially it's a win for all of us, IMO.
Personally I think neither Sony or MS will touch 599 US DOLLARS again, I'm guessing they'll go $549 at the most but more likely $499 or lower depending on how aggressive they want to be. It'll be fun to watch who dares to go first. And when it'll happen. I'm sure they'll be watching each other very closely.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I've posted this before, but figure I'll throw it out there again after reading your post.

I do not see any potential form factor that supports a $399 price tag. Look at their pricing model over the years.

2020 - ???? PS5

I believe this thing is going to be $499, minimum, especially considering they've never once in their history not gone with a -99 price tag for a mainline console release.

I'm very much in the camp that it will be $599, based on all of the tech we already know is in the BOM. If it's less than that because they decide to operate at a loss initially it's a win for all of us, IMO.
I think 599$ is just too much.My bet is 449$ or 499$.
599$ is definitely too risky since they have to try to keep all those 35 million active ps4 users.

499$ is doable for 9tf machine

250$ gpu/cpu
90$ 16gb gddr6
80$ ssd

+ maybe 50-100$ loss per console in first year

That leaves them 150-200$ for other stuff in console like cooling, controller etc.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Developer = Microsoft, Brand = Xbox
Model = Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox ONE, Xbox ONE X, Xbox ONE S, Xbox ONE S All Digital, Xbox Series X, ...

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I just want to give a shout out to the big 3!

A year and a half ago I was resigned to 9-10TF GCN with an HDD and now I'm salivating at 12TF NAVI, 8 core Zen 2, and unprecedented consumer SSD speeds. Nintendo continues to innovate in the handheld space and devs in every single part of the world are working hard to crank out games of all sizes.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Not confusing for me, but I can tell many casual shoppers or people shopping for their gaming kids or what ever will be confused by this naming scheme. I mean they are trying to brand it like the iphone basically.

Which is fine, but thing is unless they are 100% getting rid of xbox one s, xbox one x at launch of the new series x, it's going to cause issues.

Which Is why I said I hope they explain this better at the full unveiling. Going by a tweet someone said does not get to everyone.

And the fact that even developers are saying xbox series x instead of just xbox is weird.

Do you think the iPhone names confuses the casuals? How the consoles are communicated to the masses is ultimately up to their marketing. Regardless, I just see most people going in and asking for the new Xbox, something they probably did with the 360 and the One in the past.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds simple, but there might be some like myself who'll be rocking our current X so long as Microsoft keeps supporting it.

So when people say "I'm buying this on my X!" in the year 2021 no one's going to know if they mean Xbox Series X or Xbox One X.

I just think the name could've been better.

It is a little but of a clusterfuck trying to explain it to non-enthusiasts, ha.

Na it wont be bad man.

You'll call yours a 1X,
This will be causually called a 2X or NewX or something.

Just like when the Xbox One was announced People are over thinking and over reacting to the idea of potential confusion.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Developer = Microsoft, Brand = Xbox
Model = Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox ONE, Xbox ONE X, Xbox ONE S, Xbox ONE S All Digital, Xbox Series X, ...

Make = Xbox (rebranded as Original Xbox)
Model = n/a

Make = Xbox 360
Model = Core/Arcade, Premium/Pro, Elite, S, E

Make = Xbox One
Model = Original, S/S All Digital, X

Make = Xbox (fourth generation)
Model = Series X, ...

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
This gen is about services, subs and digital. You want the lowest possible entry point in exchange for power to get consoles in hands.

Think of it this way, what have been the most profitable and valuable games this gen:

Minecraft: Can run on most toasters.
Fortnite: See above.
GTa5: Released for the prior gen
FUT: Care more about new releases of cards than graphics
COD: Like graphics but essentially will continue to buy based on MP
Pokémon

The five most profitable franchises for platform holders have been despite power not because. You want people playing those games on your platform. The best way to do that is make it cheap for them to do so.

So do you think an aggressive $449 or even $399 PS5 could happen to get even the casual buyers on board ASAP?

I definitely thought this possible at the rumored 9.2TF but I'm not so sure if it ends up at 12/13TF.

You know you're getting old when you get excited for the business strategy...Though I (hope) think this will change when I see next-gen games in action.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox is the name going forward and you will now get X2, X3 and so on. It's not really hard to follow

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

2020 - ???? PS5

Good point on the historical cost, accounting for inflation.

A $399 would be the cheapest hardware sony has EVER released, and there's not a good reason to believe their base is particularly price sensitive given that the 6+ year old ps4 is STILL selling tremendously well at $299.

On $599 i disagree. I think $599 is a psychological barrier, and calls up comparisons to the ps3 that Sony would rather avoid.

It'll be $499.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is the name going forward and you will now get X2, X3 and so on. It's not really hard to follow
I don't think so.

I think there will simply be marketed as "The New Xbox: Series _" and be known as "Xbox: Series _ ( ___ generation)" in technical documentation.

I think they're going the Apple route of naming their products.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
So who is hopping on the #Team399 train with me?
48339345632_4e50dfbd31_b.jpg

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the PS5, but the Series X will definitely be $499.

Everything about the product and marketing so far screams premium.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Relatively sure Spencer will be at AMD confirming that the XSX is 12 TF RDNA so hopefully the concern surrounding that will be put to rest

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Just a random thought that just popped up in my head...
How did Microsoft come to the conclusion that Xbox Series X is 4 times as powerful as Xbox One X???

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One sales are going to be super low this year, and even lower next year. There's nothing to gain from the brand. It will be massively beneficial for MS to just let the XB1 fade this year.
I'd take an avatar bet that 1X gets phased out of the market with Series X launch as it's effectively made irrelevant the moment that goes on market.
1S, or possibly just the 1SAD will have their niche in sub 199 bracket that could keep going for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.