Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
yeah really wish this could be turned off, when your whole family is asleep and the house is completly quite and you trying to quietly play some games, its super loud and distracting. Why indeed.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusted by the replies in this thread. It is evidently and issue for some and there is no justifiable reason for it being mandatory. It's fine not being bothered by it but no reason to mock and belittle people. Fucking gaming community.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Want to play a quick game when you should be working? No can do.
Want to log in to your PS4 using your Vita to stealthily grab your log-in bonus? Nope, Sony has to make sure everyone is made aware.

What's the point?
They want to make sure that people are aware that people are playing a PS4. Then they can join in on the fun. Its good marketing. It also works as a detection tool for parents, to make sure that their kids doest sneak up late in the night to play ;)

Seriously though, i dont know. Its the same thing with older PCs, beeping on startup. I guess its just a way to let you know that it worked fine turning it on.

Ya because I play God of War with headphones?

There's some genuinely baffling design decisions with the PS4 hardware that I consistently see defended, and it's so confusing. I get brand loyalty, but it's not a great piece of hardware, the OS isn't ideal, the way PSN accounts are handled is a mess, etc. It's all genuinely annoying, and it's fair to address these things and not just give Sony a pass.
Which decisions are baffling to you?

I think the point here is that this is hardly a big deal at all. Its fair enough if people want an option to turn it off, but maybe someone makes it sound like a big issue, perhaps unintentionally (things in written form might sound more serious than intended).

Absolutely disgusted by the replies in this thread. It is evidently and issue for some and there is no justifiable reason for it being mandatory. It's fine not being bothered by it but no reason to mock and belittle people. Fucking gaming community.
Just wondering, can you show the replies where people belittle the OP?

Oct 27, 2017

This seems like quite the strong counter-reaction though to some harmless fart joking though...

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I think it's good to have a definitive indicator of startup independent of display. Helps troubleshoot issues. I expect that's why it's there

lingpanda

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never paid much attention to it. I like it cause it advises me I turned on the PS4 without looking at it. An option, sure why not.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How does everyone think this is so loud? Like holy cow.

Also its there because its used to troubleshoot the PS4. The number and length of the beeps actually provides a lot of feedback into the state of the console. For instance booting into safe mode the system quickly beeps twice.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Whenever OP turns on the PS4

xrhmHkk.gif

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Absolutely. Not disgusted but slightly annoyed at the army of beep defenders rushing out of the woodworks to defend their precious beep here.

It would be awesome if I could turn on my PS4 in our tiny studio apartment while my wife is sleeping without waking her up. Not a big thing but there's no darn reason it shouldn't be optional.

Hashtag Not My Beep

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
it is literally impossible to turn on the PS4 without alarming everyone

I mean, in all honesty, it's not that loud. And, surely they're used to that sound by now and what it means? I agree it shouldn't be mandatory. But personally I have found it useful as occasionally I've brushed on the power button by accident. And that's alerted me to the fact that it's been turned on.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
It has the lights though.

The lights are active in rest mode and powering up and down as well, the beep is only for startup.

I'm speculating, but I'm pretty sure every pc motherboard I've used also has a startup tone and I assume it's an industry standard thing for signifying boot. Dunno for sure tho, I might look into it as it's interesting

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought it was loud, but that's probably because I live with myself. I could see how it could be an issue. I'm a light sleeper too and the slightest noise can wake me up if I don't drown it out with a tv show or music or something playing while I go to sleep.
They totally should allow people to turn it off.

Thread reminds me of a gif I made for a thread about the same thing at "the old place."
UGACAsE.gif

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I refuse to believe this is a real thread.
This. It's barely noticeable. I'm a very light sleeper and I don't sleep at night because I have trouble falling asleep, so I usually sleep during the morning. And even though I'm a light sleeper, the sound of cars going by, or children who go to school don't wake me up most of the time. This tiny beep? If you really wake up from this you're a worse sleeper than I am, and I don't even fall asleep when I'm on sleep medication...

Of course, options are always welcome and I don't see why something like this can't be disabled in the system settings. But I have a feeling people are exaggerating in this thread. Like other people already mentioned; the fan is way louder than the beep, for example. If the beep wakes people up, surely pressing the buttons of the controller or putting your glass back on the table when you take a sip of water would wake them up too.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
It's a small thing but I was so disappointed when I got my PS4 and it made the same generic beep as the PS3. It's such an annoying sound.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
The worst was having a PS4 with the disc-spitting problem. There were times it would beep randomly in the night at like 3am and scare the bejesus out of me.This isn't a single "hey i'm on" beep either. it would go 5-6 beeps at times.

It came to a point where I ended up turning the PS4 "off" and it minutes later it still beeped me and creeped me out.

Afterwards I unplugged the damn thing, then 5 minutes later it beeped again and scared the bejesus out me again. lol

anyways i'm glad i upgraded my ps4 to a pro lol

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I can't belive that the bep sound is a bigger issue then the sound of the fan.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely agree that it should be an option to turn off, but I personally don't think it's that loud and especially not disruptive. It just makes one beep sound for a second and that's it.

...When it gets ready for takeoff though....that i can very much understand...

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It let's you know it's working? The system lighting up or displaying anything on screen isn't context enough? You shouldn't down play it especially when the op even explained in context why it is annoying.
I have an HDMI switch and I don't normally start on the channel I have set to my PS4. The beep isn't annoying and those "problems" in the OP are hardly worth calling problems, especially playing games while working.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
The worst was having a PS4 with the disc-spitting problem. There were times it would beep randomly in the night at like 3am and scare the bejesus out of me.This isn't a single "hey i'm on" beep either. it would go 5-6 beeps at times.

It came to a point where I ended up turning the PS4 "off" and it minutes later it still beeped me and creeped me out.

Afterwards I unplugged the damn thing, then 5 minutes later it beeped again and scared the bejesus out me again. lol

anyways i'm glad i upgraded my ps4 to a pro lol
lmao I had the same thing happening before going all digital and eventually upgrading to Pro. Thought my damn PS4 was haunted.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Agree it should be optional, not for the reasons stated in the OP, but because it is a harmless option to have and I'd keep it on anyway.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Whenever I start my ps4 I got the feeling a portal opens to another world where no one is ranting about every little shit.

Then I open Resetera and get proven the opposite..

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Since the PS3 this has always made me think of the sound a microwave makes when it's done cooking. I don't like it when my cool console sounds like a cheap kitchen appliance... I wish I could mute it because of that (plus it's totally useless unless it's for an error message).

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
This. It's barely noticeable.

Of course, options are always welcome and I don't see why something like this can't be disabled in the system settings. But I have a feeling people are exaggerating in this thread. Like other people already mentioned; the fan is way louder than the beep, for example. If the beep wakes people up, surely pressing the buttons of the controller or putting your glass back on the table when you take a sip of water would wake them up too.
I mean...people have given specific examples of contexts where it is especially noticeable in this thread. Try living in a 400 sq. foot studio where your entertainment center, kitchen, and bed are all within 20 feet of each other, but ya'll feel free to continue denying others' experiences I guess?

Me and my gf sleep downstairs where i have a PS4 Pro within a 1m from my sleeping gf. Sometimes even my 3yo daughter sleeps in the same room and i had never seen them waking up to less than a second beep.

Well i can imagine im partially responsible for their "deafness" to beeps and loud PS4 fans as i can remember playing Hearts Of Stone on my launch PS4 loud as f**** when putting my baby to sleep when she was only couple weeks old :D
I

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
A way bigger problem is that headsets don't connect until you long in to an account. Even if I turn headset on first, that TV volume needs to be low if it's late at night