Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I get you OP. Maybe it's that my ears are weird but electronic sounds like beeps always sound way louder and annoying to me than equivalent more natural sounds. Computer or PS4 fan going? Annoys me, can't sleep. Wind rustling through the trees, dog barking a few yards over, whatever. Doesn't even bother me.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I think you have other issues to worry about if you are that sensitive to noise. It is not loud at all.

Now an 80's IBM startup That shits loud.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya because I play God of War with headphones?

There's some genuinely baffling design decisions with the PS4 hardware that I consistently see defended, and it's so confusing. I get brand loyalty, but it's not a great piece of hardware, the OS isn't ideal, the way PSN accounts are handled is a mess, etc. It's all genuinely annoying, and it's fair to address these things and not just give Sony a pass.
Ps4 is a clunky hunk of junk to use with myriad problems yes

But this is ridiculously petty for a sound that is no louder than a person just walking around

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's not that that it's particularly loud (in decibels), it's that the frequency is high enough to carry for miles.
Yeah, if you think you can sneak downstairs for a bit of 3am Spider-Man and get away with it, then you better leave your PS4 powered on before you go to bed. That said, if the beep doesn't wake up your other half, the fans and coil whine certainly will.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy a PS3 Super-slim, OP. Same beep but 5 times louder. Wish it was optional too on the PS4 and it has actually during some nights driven my engagement to Xbox One instead since I don't want to wake people up.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
lmao it's like the same volume as an iphone alert if your phone isnt on vibrate. somebody is making a mountain out of a molehill

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 is a clunky hunk of junk to use with myriad problems yes

But this is ridiculously petty for a sound that is no louder than a person just walking around

It's a sharp beep. If my partner was as light a sleeper as I am, I'd never be able to use my PS4 at night because I live in a tiny studio.

Like it's not the biggest issue, but it's certainly an option they should have a toggle for.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't care about the beep, I don't see why people would be against the option to switch it off.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
That beep is anti consumer. If you hold the power button down it beeps 3 more times waking up the neighbours.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm a light sleeper and live in a flat. The beep is low on my list of things that bother me. If one beep is waking anyone then the sounds of the buttons being pressed and the fan kicking in is too. Or a cough as you play. Possibly the sweary muttering after you die on a boss you thought you had.

Now the fridge and boiler making a clicking every so often through the night. That shit is annoying.

Oh and the sound of cats fighting outside. Always sounds like one is getting smashed up bad.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I feel like OP is

1) Pissed off that their parents wake up when they want to play the PS4 after their time is up.

2) Brought their PS4 to work and uses their Vita to remote play at their desk.

Feb 1, 2018
It's for diagnostic purposes, lots of PC's do it too. I like it tbh, very industrial sounding and uniquely Playstation since they've been doing it since PS2.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
People complaining that video games wake up their partner in their bedroom should really, you know, consider not playing video games when somebody else is sleeping in their bed. I can't imagine it is pleasant to listen to that PS4 fan.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It is very stupid and should be optional but it isn't that loud. I think they can't remove the option for debug and troubleshooting purposes

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have to imagine those who are super sensitive to the beep live in quiet, remote locations. I live right smack in the middle of Manhattan, so I constantly put up with/sleep through car horns and sirens at night. Needless to say, the beep doesn't even register.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 stopped beeping years ago. It's nice but I'm getting a pro soon lol

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
When someone wakes up because of that short beep, this person is going to have way more problems than the PS4 booting.

Optional fan noise, for example, would be great. That shit is definitely going to wake up someone. /s

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Should be optional but I can't imagine a situation where I don't want anyone to know I turned on the console.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If a less than a second beep bother's someone who is a light sleeper than noises from using the controller would be far more likely to wake them.

Last edited:

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Of all of the things to complain about the beep the ps4 makes when it starts has to be one of the last things on the list.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Ya because I play God of War with headphones?

There's some genuinely baffling design decisions with the PS4 hardware that I consistently see defended, and it's so confusing. I get brand loyalty, but it's not a great piece of hardware, the OS isn't ideal, the way PSN accounts are handled is a mess, etc. It's all genuinely annoying, and it's fair to address these things and not just give Sony a pass.
It has nothing to do with "giving Sony a pass" and everything to do with it being a tiny beep that's undeserving of huffing and puffing about.

If it annoys you, that's fine. But calling out people who think complaining about it is a little silly by basically saying "gosh Sony defense force!" is the beep x100.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
If that tiny beep is seriously waking people up and bugging them then the PS4 isn't the one with the problem.

Seriously, this is nothing. Bizarre.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Good to hear when the TV turns it on by mistake? I've had it happen. Or you hit the button to power it on and not know it.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Isn't it like the PC POST beep? You know, for diagnostics. One beep is good. Multiple bad, listen to the pattern and amount for how bad. It's very handy when you know the beep codes fo your PC, so I'd imagine the PS4 has its own set of patterns to say what's wrong.

Not only that, but the classic PC POST beep is louder than the PS4 beep.

OP do you have your PS4 up against something that's highly reflective and maybe inadvertently amplifying the beep? Because the beep is normally very quiet.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
It's basic feedback to let you know you've pressed it. Dunno how you're waking people up with such a short, insignificant sound. Never turn it off I guess.