DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I truly don't think he cares. He's confident being the lesser evil than Trump is all he needs to win. That enough people will put aside their hatred of him. Or he's hoping the youth won't be energized by these recent events to vote.
Lot of miscalculation here (by the Democratic Party). November is going to be awful. The years after will be worse…

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
Biden has to do something, like none of these students are ever voting democrat again.
I truly hope Biden isn't irrational enough to play chicken with the American people this November. To wager he can support Israel's genocide and still win the election that will likely decide the future of American democracy is insane. Does he not realize that Trump will likely try to have him killed if he gets back into office and installs himself as a dictator?

More to the point, I lived in Portland when the protests were happening during the Trump regime. If Biden, and all other forms of leadership, can't resolve this, the police will gladly return to tactics that they used in Portland. It's guaranteed that police will escalate, so we need to keep them away from these encampments.

OP
OP
Tony72495

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
I truly hope Biden isn't irrational enough to play chicken with the American people this November. To wager he can support Israel's genocide and still win the election that will likely decide the future of American democracy is insane. Does he not realize that Trump will likely try to have him killed if he gets back into office and installs himself as a dictator?

More to the point, I lived in Portland when the protests were happening during the Trump regime. If Biden, and all other forms of leadership, can't resolve this, the police will gladly return to tactics that they used in Portland. It's guaranteed that police will escalate, so we need to keep them away from these encampments.

I really don't know, it could go either way. And given the Project 2025's plans, that's particularly worrying.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Biden has to do something, like none of these students are ever voting democrat again.
Yea I have to imagine many of these students voted blue all the way down the ballot in the past. But with the fascist boot of the police on their neck it's really hard to argue it'd be worse under the other guy. I cannot fault anyone for drawing the line here, where their elected officials stand idly by.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

This is such a level headed take that I struggle to think of any reasonable person that would take issue with it. The unreasonable ones will, just like the Iraq War before it, pull an "idontknowher.gif" when their opinions inevitably age like milk on a radiator in direct sunlight.

There needs to be more of this aimed at liberals that can be persuaded.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Chris Hayes did well, though I wish he put his co-workers and peers on notice for perpetuating absolute bullshit against a group of college students.

Cartwynd

Shinra Employee
Sep 14, 2023
The reason for a protest is the most important aspect of a protest. I despise these distractions that always comes up about tactics like where to sit or how loud to be. It doesn't fucking matter from an outsider's perspective. You either support the cause or you don't. Let the people doing the work figure it out. If you want to have a say then go join in or save the critique for after.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Chris Hayes did well, though I wish he put his co-workers and peers on notice for perpetuating absolute bullshit against a group of college students.
He's not going to stick his neck out on the line more than he already is. And if he looked like Mehdi Hasan while doing this, he'd be getting his pink slip in the mail for not toeing the company line just as he did.

Props to Hayes for making any kind of stand here. It's about the best we can expect out of MSNBC on this issue.

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
LAPD is gearing up to sweep the UCLA encampment. They're staged on campus right now.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Why doesn
Yea I have to imagine many of these students voted blue all the way down the ballot in the past. But with the fascist boot of the police on their neck it's really hard to argue it'd be worse under the other guy. I cannot fault anyone for drawing the line here, where their elected officials stand idly by.
Well according to democrats and some people on era, if Biden lose to Trump it will be the kids, palestenians, (and all other minorities) fault for not voting Biden and is a single issue voter.

Cause we leanred that saying the other guy is worse is a winning strategy.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

View: https://youtu.be/MJU8h6s7kxA?si=DGlELe588-nnj6Du

FD Signifier put out a short video commending the bravery of students to do this in the surveillance age, laws to restrict protests, RICO charges on cop city protesters, and cop cities being built to stamp down resistance. Solidarity with the protesters against fascism. Hope the divestment fights continue to be successful.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
He should be using his rhetoric to forcefully condemn this bullshit (he won't) Beyond rhetoric as far as I know the only lever he has to pull would be deploying the National Guard, and there is a nearly zero percent change that would go well. Someone else let me know if there's some other plausible action I'm missing here.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
He should be using his rhetoric to forcefully condemn this bullshit (he won't) Beyond rhetoric as far as I know the only lever he has to pull would be deploying the National Guard, and there is a nearly zero percent change that would go well. Someone else let me know if there's some other plausible action I'm missing here.
Recognize the students 1st amendment right to gather and protest, and denounce college admin, police action against the protestors?

Or...call them all antisemitic

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Recognize the students 1st amendment right to gather and protest, and denounce college admin, police action against the protestors?

Or...call them all antisemitic
Right, that's the forceful rhetoric I was referring to. Just wondering if he had any other policy levers I was forgetting. AFAIK he can't do anything to stop the schools from calling cops unless he was do deploy the National Guard.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont watch hasan often, who is he shit talking? destiny?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Right, that's the forceful rhetoric I was referring to. Just wondering if he had any other policy levers I was forgetting. AFAIK he can't do anything to stop the schools from calling cops unless he was do deploy the National Guard.

Rhetoric can't be understated. It's probably the most important thing imo. So if he just did that it would be very impactful but he's not done that and UCLA is probably getting swept tonight and I don't think it will go as well as Columbia did. What is happening is a big deal and Biden doesn't seem very engaged with it.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I truly don't think he cares. He's confident being the lesser evil than Trump is all he needs to win. That enough people will put aside their hatred of him. Or he's hoping the youth won't be energized by these recent events to vote.
It didn't work for Hillary and it won't work for Joe. He was a challenger going against Trump's record 4 years ago but that's not the case this time

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Rhetoric can't be understated. It's probably the most important thing imo. So if he just did that it would be very impactful but he's not done that and UCLA is probably getting swept tonight and I don't think it will go as well as Columbia did. What is happening is a big deal and Biden doesn't seem very engaged with it.
I agree.

I can't believe I'm saying this about a cable news talking head, but Chris Hayes is spot on in the clip you posted above. Thank you for sharing that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I agree.

I can't believe I'm saying this about a cable news talking head, but Chris Hayes is spot on in the clip you posted above. Thank you for sharing that.

I laughed at a tweet where someone called what Hayes was doing "lib whispering" lol. They liked it though it's seemingly getting a lot of traction.

Oct 28, 2017

Four UCLA student journalists attacked by pro-Israel counterprotesters on campus

www.latimes.com

Four UCLA student journalists attacked by pro-Israel counterprotesters on campus

Four student journalists were attacked by Pro-Israel counterprotesters early Wednesday morning.
Four student journalists who work for the UCLA Daily Bruin were attacked shortly before 3:30 a.m. Wednesday by Pro-Israel counterprotesters during a campus demonstration that turned violent.

Daily Bruin news editor Catherine Hamilton, 21, told The Times she recognized one of the counterprotesters as someone who had previously verbally harassed her and taken pictures of her press badge. The individual instructed the group to encircle the student journalists, she said, before they sprayed the four with mace or pepper spray, flashed lights in their faces and chanted Hamilton's name.

As she tried to break free, Hamilton said, she was punched repeatedly in the chest and upper abdomen; another student journalist was pushed to the ground and beaten and kicked for nearly a minute. The attack was first reported in the Daily Bruin.

"We expected to be harassed by counterprotesters," Hamilton said in an interview Wednesday, adding that every Daily Bruin reporter was instructed to use a buddy system, to report from outside the encampment and to leave the area if it became unsafe. "I truly did not expect to be directly assaulted."

One of the other student reporters who was attacked, Shaanth Kodialam, said they watched their friend get pummeled to the ground and begged for the counterprotesters to stop.

"It's not easy to do that job. It's not easy to cover this event," Kodialam, 21, said Wednesday, recalling how their eyes burned from the spray. "At the end of the day, we're all trying our best to serve our campus community and make sure our students, our faculty, our staff get the information they need."

The incident lasted about five minutes. The group of four made their way to the Daily Bruin newsroom before Hamilton went to the hospital, accompanied by her editor in chief, when the bruising made it difficult for her to stand and breathe. She has since been released.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Chris Hayes did a fine job and should be commended for being one of the few mainstream figures who apparently has any sense of empathy and doesn't seem to care about his overlords, but it makes it even more dismaying that he's being so widely lauded for that short clip, including by me.

It's just so… obvious. He isn't saying anything anyone with any sense doesn't understand. So it's just kind of sad to me that someone on a major network finally just put the obvious out there and that it took this long, but that it's still so rare.

He's absolutely right that the focus on college students is a cowardly evasion by the press; it's low-hanging, easy to get to, easy to attack. Going at the source of the conflict, oof, that's a toughie, for these highly-paid "journalists." Let's gripe about the college kids and get paid just the same.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

www.latimes.com

Four student journalists were attacked by Pro-Israel counterprotesters early Wednesday morning.

there's been tons of violent attacks like that recorded, including freaking fireworks thrown into a crowd of students being peaceful (these could seriously injure people, it's not just pretty colors), and yet you barely see any coverage of it, and cops did nothing even though they were right there

the freaking irony of it all, ugh...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
really good and effective stuff from hayes. someone standing up and speaking actual truth to power just shines a bad light on many in the mainstream western media who seek to perpetuate the police state

Oct 27, 2017
there's been tons of violent attacks like that recorded, including freaking fireworks thrown into a crowd of students being peaceful (these could seriously injure people, it's not just pretty colors), and yet you barely see any coverage of it, and cops did nothing even though they were right there

the freaking irony of it all, ugh...

Yeah, the double standards are staggering. Politicians and media seem to have been tripping over themselves to tar the peaceful student protesters as violent and hateful (implicitly justifying the police brutality towards them) and we get crickets when we see the pro-israel people actually being violent and hateful.

Oct 28, 2017

UCLA campus tense as large force of police deploy in riot gear

It might look peaceful but it is pretty tense.

The police have arrived in force on the campus here.

About two hours ago, campus authorities broadcast a message to the student protesters inside the Gaza solidarity camp telling them that they were in an illegal encampment and they had to leave and disperse immediately or face arrest.

I'm standing outside the camp. What we see here are students and members of the community, and others who are in support of the pro-Gaza solidarity campers inside. But this is outside the camp.

Further over, where the camp is, we have seen lines of police, armed police, from various jurisdictions here in Los Angeles – sheriffs, LAPD, etcetera – manoeuvring and moving in large numbers from one part of the campus to another. They are dressed in riot gear. They have batons, their wooden clubs, and they are apparently, by all signs, ready to clear this camp and arrest anyone who doesn't leave.

This of course come less than 24 hours after a violent, pro-Zionist, pro-Israel mob was allowed to rampage for three hours without any police intervention, attacking the encampment of peacefully protesting students and beating them, throwing objects at them, firing incendiary devices and all sorts of violence that went on for, as I said, for three hours without the police doing anything.

Finally, the police showed up and let the attackers go without arresting anybody.

Now, tonight, it looks like the police are going to start arresting the students who haven't actually committed any violent acts whatsoever.
www.aljazeera.com

Israel War on Gaza | Live updates | Today's latest from Al Jazeera

UN says Israeli authorities interfered with 37 percent of attempts to deliver aid to Gaza’s starving north in April.

noodlesoup

Feb 21, 2018
Chicago, IL
Spokespeople for our SJP chapter just finished their talk with the Deans of Students at our Student Government meet tonight. Yeah, we seem to have the odds stacked against us. Fucking thumb has no interest in heeding our demands for disclosure/divestment nor did he try to classify the vague wording for what's considered an illegal "structure" on campus grounds (in regards to our tents according to campus policy). Moreover, he was just casually chatting up Zionists and conservatives that were falsely accusing us of antisemitic comments while ignoring us the entire time. It just sucks because we don't have the numbers right now to go all-in and bro is just itching to arrest/suspend us.

When it comes to the faculty, we've seen a lot of support from them which has been greatly appreciated. But there have been reports of the administration threatening them with suspensions if they dare aid us with supplies, food, etc.

Shit's making me so angry. Goddamn.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the White House's statement to a question specifically asked about the violent counter-protesters:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

No denouncements of violence but if there was violence, they would denounce it. Incredible.

About the legitimacy of the protests themselves, if what is driving them is genuine, and their view on the nature of the protests:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

imo it is pretty clear they don't have a problem with the police crackdowns.

There's really no daylight between Biden and Trump on this. Fucking fascist.

People can spare me the bullshit about "its up to the city / college" etc. His tone and statements are tacit approval of the violence against the students. A leader who actually gave a shit about his country would have stopped being Israels yes-man months ago and forcefully spoke against violence against peaceful protesting.

You can't make this up. The LA Times updated their title to be more vague after saying it was the pro-Israel counterprotestors who incited the chaos at UCLA last night.

View: https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1785775541590831400?t=SGrKE-Gm52_QztSrPS6elg&s=19

LA Times previously barred reporters who signed an open letter that criticized the Israeli actions from covering Gaza for 3 months last year. This, like the NYT and other institutions, are absolute dogshit when it comes to Palestine.

CNN, with the Dana Bash segment posted earlier and when they had on a student supporting the mob violence against peaceful protesters earlier, and the rest of American media is fucking cooked. They're unsalvageable filth.

www.theguardian.com

UCLA chancellor condemns ‘instigators’ who attacked pro-Palestinian camp on campus

Los Angeles mayor calls late-night attack by counter-demonstrators ‘abhorrent’ as footage shows people wielding sticks

www.theguardian.com

UCLA students describe violent attack on Gaza protest encampment: ‘It was terrifying’

Slow response from authorities left students shocked as people wearing white masks attacked pro-Palestine protesters

www.latimes.com

'Unacceptable': Why it took hours for police to quell attack at UCLA pro-Palestinian camp

Many on campus and outside UCLA are criticizing the university for not handling the violent counterprotest better.

It absolutely reads like the university admin wanted to rough up the students before calling the police.

spineduke

On Break
Oct 25, 2017

GOP leaders this week announced plans for new oversight investigations of elite universities where — in the words of House Republican Whip Tom Emmer (Minn.) — "pro-terrorist anti-Semites [are] taking over." And on Wednesday, they passed the Antisemitism Awareness Act, which its advocates said would empower the federal government to crack down on anti-Israel protests on campuses by codifying a definition of antisemitism that encompasses not just threats against Jews, but also certain criticisms of Israel itself.

Lawler's bill — with 61 co-sponsors, including 15 Democrats — would create "a clear definition of antisemitism" in U.S. law that the Education Department could then use to cut off funding to academic institutions found to tolerate such behaviors. The definition, however, has drawn fierce opposition from First Amendment advocates such as the American Civil Liberties Union and liberal Democrats, who say it veers sharply into the realm of restricting political views.

Several Republicans said opposing Zionism — the political movement to create, and now to preserve, a state for Jews in their biblical homeland — would qualify as antisemitism under the law. Some suggested that even holding a prolonged protest would constitute antisemitism. "The erection of encampments on college campuses isn't an expression of speech," Rep. Marcus J. Molinaro (R-N.Y.) said on the House floor Wednesday. "It is a direct threat to Jewish students on college campuses."

The bill now is headed to the Senate for a vote. Under such a law, antizionism would be considered as antisemitism. What better way to crush any dissent on American soil?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

The bill now is headed to the Senate for a vote. Under such a law, antizionism would be considered as antisemitism. What better way to crush any dissent on American soil?

It's such a slap in the face that nothing that actually benefits Americans ever gets done in Congress, or if it does, it's rare and heavily pared down. Yet stuff like this gets passed very quickly with bipartisan support.

Obviously everyone should be against legitimate anti-semitism. But this is just a way of stopping people from criticizing Israel. Absolutely ridiculous that the bill is vague enough that criticizing or protesting a foreign government would label one in such a manner.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Do these people not recognize that there are plenty of Jewish folks also involved in the protests or something?

What, are they considered as self-hating Jews in the eyes of these people? Fucking shitheads.

Karew

Jul 5, 2022
Yeah, this is pretty deliberately designed to crush dissent and criticism of Israel by using the problematic definition by the IHRA.

A far better, more scholarly definition is this: https://jerusalemdeclaration.org/, but of course it's highly inconvenient to the American project.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm genuinely experiencing a shocked disbelief at how aggressively this is being fought against by government and news media institutions.

Not that this is the first or the last time that American institutions have done this, but man the pain of this particular instance feels really heavy and awful to me and that's really driving the disbelief. It's so incredibly hardline in the face of incredible atrocity.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Do these people not recognize that there are plenty of Jewish folks also involved in the protests or something?

What, are they considered as self-hating Jews in the eyes of these people? Fucking shitheads.

they know, it just doesn't fit their narrative! We see tons of jewish students participating in these, even having shabbat meal in the camps with other protesters! Nobody attacks them and they want to be there to protest a genocide

But nope, we gotta feature the one jewish student who supposedly doesn't feel safe, and showing nothing that would prove that... oh yeah they've shown someone screeming "kill the jews"... without saying of course that it was a pro-israel agitator who said that

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely experiencing a shocked disbelief at how aggressively this is being fought against by government and news media institutions.

Not that this is the first or the last time that American institutions have done this, but man the pain of this particular instance feels really heavy and awful to me and that's really driving the disbelief. It's so incredibly hardline in the face of incredible atrocity.
It's not just you. I'm also aware this isn't the first time it's happened but the sheer disconnect between reality and the message being broadcast is just...baffling. a genocide is happening and this is what we're doing?

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
The reason for a protest is the most important aspect of a protest. I despise these distractions that always comes up about tactics like where to sit or how loud to be. It doesn't fucking matter from an outsider's perspective. You either support the cause or you don't. Let the people doing the work figure it out. If you want to have a say then go join in or save the critique for after.
What's infuriating is that this never happens with rightwing protests. Anytime conservatives do anything, no matter if they're threatening people, resisting arrest, or destroying property, we always have to take their concerns seriously and try to figure out why they're so angry. Meanwhile, when anyone on the left protests, it's a sign of moral decay and needs to be stopped as quickly and violently as possible.