wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Weiss @ [WashingtonPost]

0EbBWRl.jpg

Selections:
His music — one of the shallowest bastardizations of rap to date, and I don't say that lightly — has the creative tension of associates at a downtown law firm complaining that $150,000 a year just doesn't cut it. He looks like he got clubbed over the head by a cartoon peacock. He just turned 23.
Post Malone's music is dead-eyed and ignorant, astonishingly dull in its materialism, an abandoned lot of creativity with absolutely no evidence of traffic in his cerebral cortex — and there's also a negative side. Even if his intention is sincere homage, the bludgeoning witless imitation can't help but feel like minstrelsy. White people will inevitably appropriate the most culturally relevant music genre, one that's become almost intrinsically bound to the modern conception of pop, but it's not asking too much to attempt modest synthesis or the incorporation of a single new idea, or at least to not be so grotesquely desolate. We went from Eminem to Cheddar Bob. If Post Malone were black, he wouldn't have sold half; he simply wouldn't exist.
What followed sounded like Bon Iver cosplaying as Bon Scott right before he tried to drink himself to death. What Post Malone is selling is the chill-bro relatability of the third-most-sensitive member of a frat house, softly crooning acoustic guitar rap covers to seduce Gammas after a pledge paddling. He is the dynamite hack — the platonic playlist substitute at the Duke University coffee shop so the vice president doesn't fire you for playing Young Dolph.

What's most damning is Post Malone's bloodless abyss of soul and funk. His attempts at being emotional feel like hollow gestures. When he tries to be turned up, it feels inert and airless. His songs completely lack volatility and swing, leaving him as a little boy trying on oversized sequin suits and Versace loafers alternately trying to be a fake musty Elvis, a swaggering baller, a redneck backcountry rebel, but flailing somewhere in the doughy middle. It can't help but bring me back to his quote given late last year to a Polish interviewer, where Malone said if you're looking for lyrics that make you want to cry or think about life, you shouldn't listen to hip-hop.
Post Malone's problem isn't that he's a bad person or even completely untalented. It's that he stands for nothing at all. He can afford to feign the swagger and cool of hip-hop when it's convenient and opt out when it's time to see who's riding for the cause. It's always been a fairly straightforward compact when it comes to hip-hop: If you're a white person eating off what has historically been black culture, you have a certain obligation to repay that creative debt. Eminem continues to attack the hypocrisies and contradictions that allowed him to leapfrog equally gifted artists. Macklemore may have lacked subtlety or a rudimentary understanding of when to share text messages, but there was no questioning his dedication to confront his white privilege. Even G-Eazy — repeat, even G-Eazy — dropped out of that racist H&M advertising campaign.

There's plenty more in the article.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
"an abandoned lot of creativity with absolutely no evidence of traffic in his cerebral cortex"

well dam

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
saw this article earlier and even hesitated to post it here.. absolutely savage

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not done reading yet but I just want to share my favorite part so far.

Post Malone took the stage to deafening cheers, scorching jet flames and billowing clouds of smoke like a Groupon version of a Kiss concert from 1975.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'd like to report a murder.

Oct 27, 2017
I have literally never even heard a Post Malone song but god damn I enjoy some fucking savagery once in a while.

Also his quoted line about hip-hop doesn't have lyrics that make you cry or think about life...man fuck you.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering whether this got a thread or not.

Also, Post just got destroyed.

Also also, Post's dad called the author of this article a "cuck" so I'm glad to see the Post males are quality people.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
He's a turd and if anyone ever lent some credence to the whole "popular music sux" attitude, it's Post Malone.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Give me some Post Malone songs aside from White Iverson. I want to put music to the content of the article.

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of post Malone, I learned the other day he was initially in the metal core scene. He auditioned for lead guitarist of Crown the Empire. Didn't make the cut since his strings broke. I wonder where he would be if he didn't go to rap

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
What's up with the fad in hip hop/rap of getting the dumbass face tattoos? He seems to be a perfect, rare example of judging a book by its cover and being spot on.

All face tattoos are dumbass face tattoos.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Read this and posted about it in the Hip Hop hangout, I have no idea why people are so vitriolic about him like... wow

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Without reading anything, I would describe Post's music as superficial.

Edit: Half way through, this is savage... but he's not wrong.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
H3 has already sent their hordes to defend Malone's honor. As usual, H3 continues to prove they cannot take critiques of their personal friends:

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Just 2 things about Post Malone. Dude looks haggard as fuck for 23.

2nd thing, all these rappers with all these face tattoos are going to regret that shit in a few years.