Will Nintendo sell 20 million Switches this fiscal year?

• Yeah, easily!

Votes: 495 31.6%
  • Yeah, but just barely.

Votes: 506 32.3%
  • No, they'll just miss it.

Votes: 393 25.1%
  • Not even close!

Votes: 143 9.1%
  • Some otter outcome

Votes: 30 1.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Two hardware bundles for two highly anticipated games, 2D Mario, NES games, a boatload of RPGs, and Mario Party from here until the end of January...if they squeeze in Fire Emblem, Daemons, and Yoshi before the end of March then I'd be surprised if they didn't.

We'll see what happens but at least this is a far cry from all the damn "Switch library is dire" and "they'll never hit their target" threads we were getting after E3. That was a load of nonsense

No, they won't sell more than 19 million. They've wasted the first 6 months of the financial year with basically no significant releases. They will have an insanely successful Nov/Dec, but it won't be enough to make up for all that lost time.

I'm having a hard time believing their lineup from now until March is good enough to get them to 19 million, but not 20 million.

Last edited:

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
No, they won't sell more than 19 million. They've wasted the first 6 months of the financial year with basically no significant releases. They will have an insanely successful Nov/Dec, but it won't be enough to make up for all that lost time.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's guaranteed to hit 20m. Funny how this poll has shifted dramatically from the last one. Most people believe now.

I don't think it's guaranteed to do 20m.
A lot is riding on Pokemon LGP/LGE and that game is a wildcard.
Early report also says the preorder is not great, but the game is also very casual oriented much more than regular mainline Pokemon, which is unbelievable lol.
There is a chance it might get sales spike at release, but currently it doesn't look hot.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they will, and not just because of the holiday lineup but because people will also buy the console since 2019 looks epic and they'll want to be ready for the titles releasing in Q4 and Q1.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people who will buy Let's Go aren't that informed about the game and I think they will also enjoy it despite the criticism it gets from "hardcore fans" (whatever this means).
It's Pokémon, HD Pokémon you can also play on the TV. They will buy it.

Pokémon remakes sell less than new gens, thats a fact.

Then I know many of my Friends are skipping the Game (but thats also on me informing them about no wild battles, only the first 151 and showing then the LT Surge gym picture. The only onedoned interested are the Pokémon go players, but they arent buying a console to play this when they can play go on their phone.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's guaranteed to do 20m.
A lot is riding on Pokemon LGP/LGE and that game is a wildcard.
Early report also says the preorder is not great, but the game is also very casual oriented much more than regular mainline Pokemon, which is unbelievable lol.
There is a chance it might get sales spike at release, but currently it doesn't look hot.
I don't think Pokemon ever has big preorders because like you said, it's casual oriented. Casuals do not preorder games. Because it is casual oriented it will sell a ton and actually have a bigger impact on hardware sales than if this were a core game. New audience. Huge hardware sales. 20m guaranteed

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping my prediction of 17-19M units. And I'm still skeptical about Labo which, by the way, is the main reason for the sales falling short the forecast, imo

Jan 2, 2018
Pokémon remakes sell less than new gens, thats a fact.

Then I know many of my Friends are skipping the Game (but thats also on me informing them about no wild battles, only the first 151 and showing then the LT Surge gym picture. The only onedoned interested are the Pokémon go players, but they arent buying a console to play this when they can play go on their phone.

It's not a strict remake, it's the first HD and the first mainline home console Pokémon. It's not just a remake.

Such anecdotals are useless. I know many people that are excited and even buying a Switch for the game, but that isn't indicative of the potential success (or in your case: failure) of the game.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
19m is possible but not 20m?

Posts like these make no sense. In this scenario they can just add a big game release in Q4 or do some high value bundle and they've met their goals.

Yeah aren't they down yoy or just at even? I don't think they can do 20M. I think they can in a year or two.

Q3 and Q4 sale number are on a whole other level than Q1 and Q2. Q3 in particular will be on a whole other level than last FY, which was both supply constrained and only had Odyssey as really big release.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction:

Nintendo will ship 22M units, with the expectation that what's left on the shelf will be sold shortly after the FY is over. Essentially, over ship to give themselves a buffer and say they technically sold 20M units even if a couple mil doesn't end up in consumers hands yet

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised so many seem to think they have it in the bag. It's a very big ask. It is possible, and I'm not ruling it out, but I tend to think they won't at the moment. I think Smash will be very successful. It looks to be a title that fans of that franchise will go nuts about. But Let's Go does not impress me. It doesn't look like a good game, and my anecdotal evidence (I know) suggests Pokemon fans aren't going to flock to it. My young nieces and nephews, who love Pokemon and were excited for US/UM pre-release either haven't heard of Let's Go or aren't interested. They're definitely not asking for their parents to get them a Switch to play it. The adult Pokemon fans I've spoken to are unimpressed and plan to skip it until the next mainline entry. But it could pick up steam with the casual market.

Could go either way really, but I'm tending to think Nintendo will miss the mark. Which, really, it doesn't need to hit to be very successful.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
switch%20-%20pikachu_docked.jpg
Lol we done here.
Yes, they will.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a strict remake, it's the first HD and the first mainline home console Pokémon. It's not just a remake.

Such anecdotals are useless. I know many people that are excited and even buying a Switch for the game, but that isn't indicative of the potential success (or in your case: failure) of the game.
But it's mainline just by name

It's plays completely different to the other games and has a simplified battle system.

They can Say it's mainline yo sell, but most people arent recognizing it as mainoine, Even people interested.

Aug 29, 2018
Yes they will, and not just because of the holiday lineup but because people will also buy the console since 2019 looks epic and they'll want to be ready for the titles releasing in Q4 and Q1.

2019 looks amazing across all boards in....still, so far for 2019 on Switch we haven't actually seen the titles people are most anticipating in a relevant way, so don't think that'll translate to sales this year

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But isn't the switch tracking slightly behind its first year? I know the lion share of sales is during the holidays but I still think it will end obout on par with last year...which is still a awesome number btw...

As others have pointed out even if it's lagging behind that's mainly attributed to Splatoon 2, it's by far the biggest Switch game and still a major hardware seller. You gotta remember that Splatoon 2 was the top selling game in July, August and September on the Switch - with an attach rate >50% during those months.
This year we had Octopath which Square didn't even ship 200K for and faced major shortages as the biggest game during the Obon Festival. Simply put Nintendo and 3rd Parties didn't provide anything that could compete with what we saw last year aka Splatoon 2 on the Switch and DQXI on the 3DS/PS4 - so July/August were down across the board. Things will change during September and October:

Code:
Switch HW Sales(Sep 3 - Oct 28, 2017):

Week 36 - 45.439(-9%)
Week 37 - 44.052(-3%)
Week 38 - 43.426(-1%)
Week 39 - 73.231(+69%)
Week 40 - 38.204(-48%)
Week 41 - 40.803(+7%)
Week 42 - 31.092(-24%)
Week 43 - 126.701(+308%)

TOTAL: 442.948
Av. per Week: 55.368

Top 5 Games(Sep 3 - Oct 28, 2017):
1) Super Mario Odyssey - 462.038
2) Splatoon 2 - 214.951
3) Pokken Tournament DX - 106.947
4) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 99.845
5) Fire Emblem Warriors - 53.531

Just looking ahead in September and October you basically had Super Mario Odyssey and Pokken as the only two games that broke 100K sales. FIFA 18 & DBX2 eventually surpassed 100K but it took them months to do so. In comparison this year you have a much more varied line-up during the same period even without a blockbuster title like Super Mario Odyssey launching, so I think that Switch wont fall below 40K at any time during the next 7 weeks, while I can see Nintendo having big weeks in store to end the quarter week with Dragon Ball FighterZ, Musou Orochi 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4 & FIFA 19 all launching. Than in the following week you have Super Mario Party which is going to end up >1M in Japan in it's lifetime and finally Dark Souls Remastered launches two weeks after. So even without matching Week 43 I think that Switch will be flat or slightly up during the same period which leads into Pokemon Lets Go, Smash, Yo-Kai Watch 4, Dragon Quest Builders 2, NSMB Deluxe and probably a bunch of other games before the end of March.
Once again I will repeat last year outside of Super Mario Odyssey & Kirby, there is not a single game that launched between October and March that ended up selling >500K, this year I'm seeing at least 5 games that might hit 1M lifetime, 3 of which could potentially hit 2M lifetime. There is no way to have such a stacked line-up and not see significant gains in hardware sales.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Pokemon ever has big preorders because like you said, it's casual oriented. Casuals do not preorder games. Because it is casual oriented it will sell a ton and actually have a bigger impact on hardware sales than if this were a core game. New audience. Huge hardware sales. 20m guaranteed

Pokemon LGP/LGE has less preorder than normal mainline Pokemon though.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I see it: their Wii U re-releases did a good deal to help them, and their lineup for hardcore gamers looks strong even without the new Direct. The underlying concept is also a lot easier for a customer to understand compared to the Wii U. Why wouldn't Nintendo get 20M out the door is the more interesting question.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how the market will react to this Pokemon entry on the Switch. I'm comparatively thinking about how underwhelming the two GameCube Pokemon RPGs turned out. I really think that they needed another first-party catalyst like NSMB (this Fall) or a Rhythm Tengoku. Maybe they are hoping Labo 03 (and Labo 04 this Dec?) turn out to be the x factors that help catapult the system.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying for a long time that they won't hit their targets without a price drop and I'm sticking with that prediction. Both Q1 and Q2 are going to end up flat or slightly down. People don't seem to understand that switch will have to have a record breaking 3rd quarter to hit their targets.

Full price smash and Pokémon bundles are going to barely move the needle. Now if they dropped the price of those to 300 and the base model sold for 200-250 for Black Friday.... maybe.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will be close.

I'm curious to see the actual public reaction to Pokemon LGP/LGE. I talked to one of my friends who just got a Switch and is more of a casual fan of Nintendo (he mostly just replays all of the Zelda games over and over), he said he was interested in Pokemon LGP/LGE and definitely getting it at launch. I explained to him that it wasn't a typical Pokemon game and he was just like "Yeah, I know. It plays like GO and you can connect with your GO account, that's awesome!". It was the first time I had heard any positive feedback on the game. I'll be interested to see if the general public has his reaction to it.

Smash will be huge, I think it will be bigger than Pokemon.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I've been saying for a long time that they won't hit their targets without a price drop and I'm sticking with that prediction. Both Q1 and Q2 are going to end up flat or slightly down. People don't seem to understand that switch will have to have a record breaking 3rd quarter to hit their targets.

Full price smash and Pokémon bundles are going to barely move the needle. Now if they dropped the price of those to 300 and the base model sold for 200-250 for Black Friday.... maybe.

You are undermining 2018 christmas. Many economists predicts this will be the biggest q4 in a long time. The number of americans working is pretty big and the inflation is returning. Europe seems to be improving too.

Unless nintendo is counting with big sales on latin america, which they are not, they will achieve this 20 million sales.

Im pretty confident they will sell something like 20,1 or 20,2 million switches.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
You are undermining 2018 christmas. Many economists predicts this will be the biggest q4 in a long time. The number of americans working is pretty big and the inflation is returning. Europe seems to be improving too.

Unless nintendo is counting with big sales on latin america, which they are not, they will achieve this 20 million sales.

Im pretty confident they will sell something like 20,1 or 20,2 million switches.

If the economy was to give Nintendo a boost it would be giving them a boost right now.... but it's not. There's absolutely no way that the booming economy is going to magically make them sell an extra 5 million in quarter 3 from last year (with no sales that is).

That said I do think Nintendo will do better than last holiday season but the gains won't be anywhere close enough to get to their target.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Is there any reliable info on this? All I've seen so far is people analyzing Amazon pre-order charts and that's frankly worth nothing.
Here:
Yeah I just dont know what to think of it yet. Early buzz is so low for it by Pokemon standards but at the same time it's the kind of game I could see blowing up and being huge if a more casual demographic picks up on it. I'm not sure how to read the game yet

Smash is going to outright slay though

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think the two bundles sealed it for me. It's still gonna be close but I think they'll get there.

Unless they do a price drop or temporary price cut around black Friday, then it will probably be pretty easy.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be a broken record, Let's Go is definitely a wild card. it has many things for it (first pokemon on the system, GO push, (even more) casual appeal), but also has many things against it (remake, 151 poke, anti-competitive, casuals may not take to dropping $300)

and on top of that, the bundle is priced rather high. $400 is really steep for a game aimed at the GO crowd, who might not be so quick on dropping even $300 on a switch when they can play GO for free on a device they already own.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
This second half of the year will have a massive blowout of 10M+ seller franchises: Mario Party
Lol, no.

They sold 15 mil first year with just Super Mario Odyssey during the final 6 months of the FY... and I guess major updates for Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild.
Now they have the full 2017 library, Smash, Pokemon Lets Go, Super Mario Party, Yo-Kai Watch 4, Dragon Quest Builders 2, NSMB Deluxe and Yoshi I mean just those 7 titles will ensure at least >2M more sales in Japan during October
In the fiscal year 2017-2018, they had Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April, Splatoon 2 in July and Super Mario Odyssey in October. In 2018-2019, Pokémon Let's Go in November and Super Smash Bros. in December.

I know November and December are the most important months of the year, but I think it won't be enough. Smash will be available too late.

I don't think they will, 12-14 million. Then in 2019 there will be a Switch XL or a Switch Pro.
Switch Light.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Iirc the info came from Benji in one of the NPD thread.

Thanks! It's gonna be interesting to see how Let's Go pans out, then. Can't say I'd be very disappointed if it underpeforms, since its concept strikes me as somewhat misguided. Trying to find synergies between the more traditional Pokemon games and Pokemon Go is a good idea, but the way Let's Go handles it feels like it's trying to solve a problem that might not actually exist.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
A good deal in the holidays would 100% seal it. Without one it's 60/40 in favour of reaching/surpassing 20M.

Oct 25, 2017
I have always said they would. Still think they will get close. Really hoping that Yoshi is a Q1 2019 title and not April or May. Usually the "spring" title they are talking up now is an early spring title (Kirby last year).

Having the deal where you buy a switch and get a select first party game (Mario, Zelda, MK8, Splat) for $330 would be good I think. Console not coming with a game might scare parents but getting a game with it for cheaper would be nice. I'm pretty sure they recently ran a deal like this (not sure of exact games) but doing it again closer to BF would be good. Between that and the pokemon/smash bundles, plus whatever news and announcements for games between now and the end of the FY, I think they do it.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I mean they could, but I don't think they'll quite make it. I see them coming close though.
The line-up is pretty good all things considered - but they do have intense competition.

Daygon

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Console sales that can be tricky, especially with Black Friday and Christmas on the way. I think at their lowest, they'll get around 17 million and at their highest, 21 million.

So a win-win either way.