hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Got my wife into it during college. Out of seemingly nowhere my 5yo is suddenly a Sailor Moon fan (og and crystal in equal measure) to where she's got a lot of merch, it was her birthday party theme back in September and she went trick or treating as SM.

She's kind of watched some Precure via the Netflix Glitter Force dub. I plan on showing her Cardcaptor Sakura soonish because I know she'd like it.

Getting her generation off to an early start, that I am.

OP
OP
Reyes
I watched the OG movie trilogy but I felt overwhelmed by all the old TV seasons that follow it that I just never got into it. I want to watch Turn A specifically, that looks really cool.
Ahh no worries, if you feel like your overwhelmed looking into Gundam more noticeably the UC.

AU's like Turn A and others are a good start as they don't require prior series and are entirely standalone.

Some other AU's that I would recommend:

Gundam Seed: the biggest non UC Gundam series and in Japan with a new movie soon that will wrap it up the entire AU, Seed is only 50 episodes and has a sequel series called Seed Destiny that is also 50 episodes if you like JP-Drama you would like it though its a very 2000's anime and I think Princess Bubblegum (who watched it recently if I remember) would say the same I think.

Gundam 00: First HD Gundam series, heavily inspired by the War in Iraq and the War on Terror following a group willling to change the world, split into two seasons each of 25 episodes and one movie.

Gundam Witch from Mercury: the newest series in Gundam that just finished up: A Shakespearean inspired Gundam Tale, a story of Love, Betrayal & Revenge, Classes and Curses only 25 episodes.

Gundam Wing: My first Gundam series, its dated as a 90's anime but I do think it has alot of charm and what it means to be a fighter and what it means to fight.

Mekanos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 17, 2018
I have to wonder
Does pokemon not count as anime for some people?
Like surely, the vast majority of US kids were already watching the pokemon anime 25 years ago
Is it an exception? What about stuff like Yu-gi-oh, Digimon or Beyblade? They're kinda all in the same category of anime in my mind
Hobbyist anime was varying degrees of popular in America. Pokemon was massive, YGO and Digimon were pretty popular, and Beyblade was kinda niche from what I remember. During the anime boom of the late 90s/early 00s, I'd say the most popular anime in the US were Pokemon, DBZ, and Sailor Moon. There were definitely a couple of anime series that were "acceptable" to like in that time period (depending on your age group), but as we got into the mid/late 2000s anime became a bit more niche again, with a nerdy stigma. Not unpopular, per se, but still seen as offbeat and an acquired taste. Naruto was popular during this time period but I still feel like it was seen as a dorky show for kids who like to pretend to be ninjas, not something that was generally acceptable in the mainstream. Ironically I think Naruto kids growing into adults and probably watching it with their kids has made it more socially acceptable to like Naruto than ever before.

It wasn't really until the 2010s that anime got another explosion of popularity in the US, and streaming making anime so accessible increased that multifold. Now the teenagers I teach all love anime, even older shows like Sailor Moon.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I think I stopped watching anime back in the mid 2000s because at least in my country, it was a fucking pain in the ass to get ahold of new series. Either torrenting or MIRC was the only way, or getting bootleg DVD's.

Now kids can just start the Netflix app and start watching anything they want, I really envy them and I'm glad they don't go around so many hoops nowadays.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I started out watching stuff like Voltron, Fist of the North Star, Vampire Hunter D, and Wicked City in the late 80s. However, my anime watching started dwindling in the mid-to-late 2000s and series started getting too long for me to follow.

But JoJo brought me back into watching anime again last decade, and I just recently signed back up for CR to get on board with titles like JJK or Chainsaw Man so I'm hoping to watch more. My only problem is that I'm far too nostalgic about my anime and I always prefer to watch the older stuff I grew up with.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipâ„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
YALL, IM BEGGING, SUB TO HIDIVE 😭

They have a top 3 show almost every season and at least one AOTY contender every year.

This is truth. It's sometimes even frustrating.

Plus it feels like they get more LGTBQ content.

Watch the first five episodes of To Your Eternity

I still need to finish that, but it was so heartbreaking.

I honestly feel bully culture from the 80/90s did a number on people. They still can't understand that anime is mainstream.

This still persists even with Zoomers. My kid will wear an anime shirt to school and people will start screaming. "Hey are there any lolis in that hentai? This dude wants to have sex with anime kids."

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of my core memories in elementary school was when the teacher allowed us to bring a movie to class so we can watch one day. I brought a DBZ VHS with a couple episodes on it. My teacher took a look at the cover and was like, "Hmmm let's watch something else."

It's hilarious to me now because nobody else watched DBZ at the time, and I had just brought in a couple random episodes from the Android Saga. Nobody would have liked my VHS I'm sure haha.

Anyway, it's nice to see anime going mainstream! It's super interesting to think about for me.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Going from watching Lady Oscar, Cobra, Robotech in the late 80's, then Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Ranma, Dragon Ball, Ninja Scroll, Genocyber, Urotsukidoji among so many others, to watch something like Belle on IMAX and, of course, all the anime available through streaming services is like a dream to me. Always an animu fan, always will be.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Good.

It was so hard to watch anime for much of my life and things like Toonami and Adult Swim (and Pokemon and the Saturday morning stuff) did blow the doors open, but access to anime like what we have today is ridiculous and i'm so glad the medium is thriving

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
Gen z is still pretty young and most are still in the prime demo for anime so I'd be curious to see if this changes substantially as they age. I feel like I remember a lot more millenials liking anime when I was younger and then dropping it once they left young adulthood (often weirdly to only pick up or cling on to other stuff they also consumed like Harry Potter or superhero movies)

San

Nov 18, 2022
Definitely glad the weird stigma from the early 2000s are gone now. I pingpong from anime, manga (or manwha) and light novels. Manwha /webtoons is really popular recently, and there was a pretty large surge of light novel translations back in 2017.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be really into anime, but these days I only keep up with Lupin the 3rd.

It's just hard to find the good stuff and the only shows anyone talks about are shonen and isekai.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I used to like anime a lot and I think most people who do watch anime go through the same thing: the illusion wears off and most of it is garbage or the same thing so they only watch the good stuff which is rare IE once every 3 years or so.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
All these people watching anime and yet the AOTY voting thread is struggling to breach a page in length. What's Era just Boomers and Gen X? Vote people! Frieren needs your help. (Though Insomniacs After School is the read winner)

Oct 27, 2017
Watch the first five episodes of To Your Eternity
I was gonna agree that anime is, by far, too melodramatic to make me cry most of the time.

But then your comment reminded me that I definitely teared up watching the first 5 episodes of To Your Eternity.

Also watch Gundam folks.
Nice try.

I'll just rewatch 86: Eighty Six

But honestly, the only recent Gundam series (not movie/OVA) I found interesting is Witch From Mercury because its heavily queer-coded

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I watched the OG movie trilogy but I felt overwhelmed by all the old TV seasons that follow it that I just never got into it. I want to watch Turn A specifically, that looks really cool.
The UC aka main timeline in Gundam is a mess, especially as it is always getting expanded in some way. Also the main creative is a crummy storyteller, to be honest.

As others have said, Turn A is for all intents and purposes standalone.
Gundam Seed: the biggest non UC Gundam series and in Japan with a new movie soon that will wrap it up the entire AU, Seed is only 50 episodes and has a sequel series called Seed Destiny that is also 50 episodes if you like JP-Drama you would like it though its a very 2000's anime and I think Princess Bubblegum (who watched it recently if I remember) would say the same I think.
Yeah, I can vouch for SEED (just not Destiny unless one really wants to go whole hog or really, really loves the mechanical designs).
You telling me jeff Gerstmann lied to me! I knew I should have gotten that Apology...

View: https://youtu.be/nwfyzG59qsc?si=A4q3u9G7Q5Z2RJnn

Nah, it still applies for people that watch and defend shit like Jobless Reincarnation.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
one of the most powerful tools in making anime mainstream has been streaming platforms presenting it on the same "level" as their other shows. they're not some weird niche product anymore, they're just another thing to watch

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yup anime is pretty mainstream these days, everyday I see cars loaded with anime stickers on windows. When I got my oil changed a few months ago, I got into a casual conversation with an employee about the upcoming Gear Five One Piece episode.

It is kind of weird though how anime is the gateway to manga worldwide when in reality the reverse is true in its home country. I kind of wish that was the case in America, even though manga does exceptionally well for the most part, it doesn't have the breadth and reach that is afforded it in Japan(or even Europe)

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
What do anime fans evolve into watching? After cartoons? Like what kind of programming and fiction do they crave? From the types of anime that is super popular, I honestly don't know what the path is.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It really sucks how all of the top steamers for anime have pretty bitstarved 1080p encodes. I think Netflix at least has a higher or better encoding for 1080p content with Dolby Vision/HDR.

Oct 27, 2017
What do anime fans evolve into watching? After cartoons? Like what kind of programming and fiction do they crave? From the types of anime that is super popular, I honestly don't know what the path is.
???

They watch cartoons.... just aimed at adults.

Anime isn't a genre, its a medium. You can tell any story you want in it; Horror, Drama, Thriller, Comedy, Action etc etc.

Yes, the most popular/ubiquitous genre is shonen junk-food, but then you look at the movie industry over the past decade and how a MASSIVE mind-share of it was boilerplate MCU/cape-movies, it's a pretty natural phenomenon.

And as anime becomes more mainstream, we're starting to see a resurgence of very popular adult animation, from Western countries (hello, Blue Eye Samurai). There's a market for people, who want to watch cartoons but about things they care about, as they get older. Hollywood/the entertainment industry is just only now catching up.

Feb 24, 2018
As some others have pointed out, it's odd their was no gender breakdown here but given we've had stats before, it's usually been a 50/50 split or higher depending on the genre and programming (the idea for example that women don't watch/read Shonen for example is BS (to justify sexism) for example, that was never an audience problem, that's always been an issue with sexist editors, lack of women being hired and men who can't write women problem)

Amused by the Gen X figures given so many of the "western" animated cartoons of the 80s were done by Toei Animation or were re-dubbed anime like Robotech and Voltron.

This threads reminded me just how far behind I am on anime. I still need to watch Yuri on Ice and Spy X Family and I'm still trying to get Through PreCure, YGO 5Ds (I've just read the "bad era" of the show) and I'm in Love with the Villainess.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

You don't evolve past it, because anime isn't just Saturday morning cartoons

You might stop altogether as you burn out, like most things it doesn't take long to realise that a huge chunk of it isn't great but there's always a show, OVA or a movie that comes a long every few years that is super solid. And not just solid for anime but for media in general.

Mekanos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 17, 2018
All these people watching anime and yet the AOTY voting thread is struggling to breach a page in length. What's Era just Boomers and Gen X? Vote people! Frieren needs your help. (Though Insomniacs After School is the read winner)
In fairness I don't participate in GOTY threads either for the same reason: I only watch a few new anime a year, a lot of times I'm watching old stuff or I stick to specific series.

I'm in my 30s and honestly I watch more anime now than I did as a kid and teenager. Why would I "evolve" past it?

Archaic

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Amused by the Gen X figures given so many of the "western" animated cartoons of the 80s were done by Toei Animation or were re-dubbed anime like Robotech and Voltron.
They weren't even subtle about it. I remember catching an episode of The Smurfs on breakfast TV during the 90s, right around when my primary school was starting to have Japanese language classes, and realizing that the "magic writing" on Para Smurf's blackboard in that episode was just hiragana.