ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
We need to shut anime down until we figure out why most anime fans haven't seen Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this means we can finally get a good fucking Gundam live action from a streaming service (poke poke Netflix)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting those numbers are people who report as watching it weekly, so people who binge a show once or twice a month wouldn't be counted there even if they watch a lot of anime

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I blame millennials for raising weebs (I am a millennial and plan to raise a weeb).
Hopefully this means we can finally get a good fucking Gundam live action from a streaming service (poke poke Netflix)
I hope so. The director attached has high reverence for the source material a la Matt Owens. Now, will he handle it as well as Matt Owens did One Piece? Idk, but maybe?

Last edited:

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm old enough to remember when being into anime got you bullied harder than being short.

Yeah, that was always my experience. I still feel uncomfortable sometimes due to the intense amount of bullying I received. I'm really happy that youth can enjoy it though. There's also some great new anime to watch and I suspect there always will be.

Extra Data on Anime Viewership on Netflix
OP
OP
Reyes
www.animenewsnetwork.com

The Most Popular Anime Series According to Netflix's Data Drop

We crunched the numbers from the streaming service's unprecedented data drop to find what anime are most popular, from Vinland Saga to Cyberpunk Edgerunners!

One Piece as a franchise is just as much of a juggernaut as you would expect, with a whopping 238,600,000 total hours viewed across the entire franchise and an average of 5,680,952 hours viewed across the entire franchise. (I tried to make a chart for this, but there is no way it would work for such a massive franchise!)

Pokémon acquits itself admirably as a franchise with a total of 260,700,000 hours viewed across the entire franchise and an average of 8,989,655 hours viewed across the entire franchise. Incredible for a franchise where not everything is available to view worldwide on Netflix.

Other high-performing franchises are:

• Slam Dunk with a total of 23,900,000 hours viewed across the entire franchise and an average of 2,987,500 hours viewed across the entire franchise.
  • Sailor Moon with a total of 7,700,000 hours viewed across the entire franchise and 855,556 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise. Not too bad for a franchise with only Sailor Moon Eternal being available worldwide on Netflix.
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with 64,700,000 total hours viewed in total across the entire franchise and 10,783,333 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise. That is incredible, considering how much JoJo's is available worldwide on Netflix.
  • Detective Conan with 18,200,000 hours viewed total across the entire franchise and 2,275,000 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise.
  • Crayon Shin-chan with 23,500,000 hours viewed in total across the entire franchise and 783,333 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise.
  • Doraemon with 29,600,000 hours viewed in total across the entire franchise and 758,974 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise.
  • My Hero Academia with 45,100,000 hours viewed in total across the entire franchise and 5,101,111 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise.
  • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba with 186,800,000 hours viewed in total across the entire franchise and 37,360,000 hours viewed on average across the entire franchise.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
As someone born in the states in 89, it is insane how normalized anime is now. It went from this kinda underground thing that a couple people knew about to this thing that like the majority of kids knew about but still had a huge stigma to this thing where the biggest musicians and actors have anime tattoos.

And then people I know who have NEVER talked about anime are posting Jujutsu Kaisen edits on their story.

I guess everyone's experiences are different but youre not that much older than me. When I was in school everyone loved Dragon Ball, Gundam Wing and Naruto. Yugioh as well.

Anime wasnt underground at all, in the sense that no one batted an eyelid at certain anime. Maybe if you talked about an obscure anime that no one watched, sure. But its like that with anything.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are boomer anime fans filming videos on their phone while driving and wearing sunglasses arguing over who would win in a duel between Seto Kaiba and Zuwijo zir Velgear?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Forum shows its age when some make fun of anime unironically honestly. Can you be more outta touch?

Same with manga.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
The 3% Boomers are way more impressive than the 12% Gen X. Anime is solidly within the Gen X generation but they largely shunned it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only anime I get into lately are the new versions of shows I liked as a kid.

Can't really get into original properties much.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Its pretty surreal and amazing, yeah. Back in high school, I only knew two people willing to cosplay Bleach for Halloween and now I see people rocking Akatsuki jackets and little kids dressing up as Kimestu no Yaiba characters like its nothing.
Shout outs to the 3% of Boomers that are watching anime.

Wonder which shows they prefer~
My late father actually loved anime as a kid and used to share a lot of his old shows with me and my brothers when we were kids. We used to watch DVDs and VHS tapes of Gigantor, Astro Boy and Tobor the 8th Man with him.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm a late millennial. Started watching anime with Dragon Ball Z when it aired on YTV in Canada. Once they got Inuyasha it was over for me.

Around 2011-2012 is when I kinda fell off and gaming became more of a priority for me. I've been trying to make an effort to get back into it, mostly by reading manga, but I also have a huge backlog of shows I want to watch. It's great to see how accessible anime and manga is now.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I remember pre-ordering DBZ VHS tapes from Suncoast. 😭
I miss Suncoast. My mom bought me a Macross Plus DVD because I rented Robotech: Battlecry from Blockbuster and wanted to watch the show "for real."

I thought it would be just robots fighting. It was like the fifth DVD in the collection and opened with a beach episode. She promptly returned it to the store.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I mean I don't doubt that anime is bigger than ever, but those results are basically saying younger people watch anime more frequently than older people? Wasn't that always the case.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Any other rickety millenials remember the magazines you would get for purchasing anime tapes by mail?

The ones with the "adult" section that would be sealed with tape so that parents could remove it before handing the zine over to the kids?

Good times.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its been coincidence you seen Usher, Dua, Arianna, Megan, and other artists poaching from it the past few years. Its an easy way to market to younger audiences. Doing some Naruto and your socials light up.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
Kabamaru set me on the path. Me and my brother watched that soo many times growing up.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Surprised crunchyroll isn't higher because it seems to me anyway their catalogue is much bigger than the rest.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I wish i was born a bit later honestly, i'm from 88, and while we had a ton of anime on TV in europe when i was a kid, when i reached teenager years, people stopped watching those, same for playing videogames aside stuff like FIFA and GTA... It was super rare for me to meet someone who shared my interests...

Now every teens and young adults are into it, i'm sure i would had a much easier time making friends at school instead of being alone most of the time if were born later...
Even now when it's more normalised even for millenials, it's still rare for me to meet these people

I'm often the oldest in the small discord communities i'm in, it's usual people in their 20s, averaging 25...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give up Birdie there won't be a new Tenchi Muyo unless it is isekai
Brief period of time when I was an impressionable 5th grader and watched that show on Toonami, I was the type to talk about nerdy shit to people and it weirded everyone out.

I had no friends due to anime.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
q7.png

This surprises me. Not so much Netflix on top, but Crunchyroll not right behind it especially pushing same-day simulcasts.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
65% find anime more emotionally compelling than other media is crazy to me. I don't see that at all. I don't think I've even teared up watching an anime before.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Brief period of time when I was an impressionable 5th grader and watched that show on Toonami, I was the type to talk about nerdy shit to people and it weirded everyone out.

I had no friends due to anime.
Now you can make friends with card game cards

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch much Anime. Hardly any of it hits. But I get the hankering to watch DBZ pretty often.

< Millenial

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've found anime moving but I haven't cried at any except some of the Pokémon movies as a kid when Pikachu or Celebi died.