Will Final Fantasy XVI be announced tomorrow?

• Yes, the dream is real!

• LMAO no. C'mon...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
I'm voting yes since Square loves announcing projects 5-10 years before they are actually able to release them. So why not tomorrow?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Doubt it. Even if it is, I wouldn't expect more than some character renders and a logo.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Come on SE! Give me a nice birthday present and announce it you cowards!

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Please announce it and have it in a high-fantasy setting. We've had our fill with sci-fi and modern 'fantasy-based-on-reality' settings... time for some actual fantasy please!

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
I think 2021 is too early given SE announced their games would be cross gen for a couple of years.
Why would that matter one way or antother?
I do think they'll announce it today - but it will be a tech demo which may or may not resemble the final product. Either that or we'll get a tech demo of a scene from FFVII - but again with no promise it's actually from VIIR-2.
If we would have two big stages like PS5 Reveal conference + E3 conference, then sure you first reveal the tech demo, then you reveal the game. But with the way things are and this potentially being the biggest stage of the year it is in their interest to show the game.

Actually come to think of it, a demo showing off Nibelheim flashback would be a really good tech showcase.
To be honest at this point I don't think it is a good idea to have a direct comparison to previous gen games since they already look so good and it wouldn't have the same effect as previous ones.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I voted yes (lol) but I say don't get your hopes up. That way you can have your socks pulled up and ready to be blown off.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted yes, because I think it's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off until next year. That being said I'm surprised so many people think it's straight up impossible, if it's the FFXIV division's AAA project then it's probably had more time in the oven pre-announcement than any mainline FF since X.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I said this in another thread but I feel like Final Fantasy and new console generations go hand-in-hand and they're always linked in my mind. I really hope we get to see something today about XVI even if it's just a teaser.

Please announce it and have it in a high-fantasy setting. We've had our fill with sci-fi and modern 'fantasy-based-on-reality' settings... time for some actual fantasy please!

Also yes this. IX spiritual successor would be perfect.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Voted yes but most likely some other FF news, 13 remaster trilogy or XI rerelease on consoles using the mobile game as a base. Something to that effect where it's FF but not specifically the next Numbered entry. Dream would be Mobius getting a console port somehow XD

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about this when I was going to sleep last night in what I want for the next XVI. Wasn't sure where to post it, but wanted to see if others thought I was crazy. I want FF + RDR2. I want it old school as in very limited technology. I want it to be less in scope, have the bad buy be like a governor or something. The world doesn't have to be near ending every time. Basically, like XV but actually good.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Don't overanalyze Jason tweets again please. Poor guy can't tweet anything lol

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
speak for yourself please

it's most likely going to be medieval but I vastly prefer sci-fi or modern
Obviously everyone speaks for themselves, calm down.
I like sci/fi and modern too, but we haven't had a classical fantasy FF since 9 back in 2000. And with FF7R we're guaranteed to have a FF with sci/fi setting for many years to come so a change in the setting would be welcome for 16.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SE will definitely be there, and I am sure they will show a tech demo at the very least. But I don't think we will see FFXVI just yet. FF is never early to the gen.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Nomura is involved with the next mainline game, I'll be more bummed out than if they just didn't announce it at all.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have we ever had a new PlayStation console reveal (not initial reveal, just a big reveal before console launch) that didn't also have a new Final Fantasy announced for it?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
If XVI is in the event, then I'm genuinely surprised we haven't gotten any leaks or anything tbh.

We have gotten some "teases" about it not being as far away as we might think, but yeah, we don't know anything with certainty.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Have SQEX even acknowledged that there is an FFXVI in production? There must be, but we have no idea which business division is owning it and thus have no way of estimating how long it's been in production.

That said, I cannot imagine that they have nothing; given the structure of the company and the length of time since the last mainline release, it seems implausible to me that there is nothing to show. Now whether they want to show it is a different matter...

If they do show something, I hope it includes actual gameplay and not just cutscenes or vague concepts.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Have SQEX even acknowledged that there is an FFXVI in production? There must be, but we have no idea which business division is owning it and thus have no way of estimating how long it's been in production.

That said, I cannot imagine that they have nothing; given the structure of the company and the length of time since the last mainline release, it seems implausible to me that there is nothing to show. Now whether they want to show it is a different matter...

If they do show something, I hope it includes actual gameplay and not just cutscenes or vague concepts.

Has SE ever really acknowledged an FF title prior to its formal announcement?

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
A brief history of mainline/major FF announcements in the 2000s:

- IX, X and XI: These three games were famously all announced at the same time at Square's Millennium Event in early 2000. They were released in a relatively timely manner in 2000, 2001 and 2002, respectively.

- XII: This is a bit of an odd one. Sakaguchi had been openly talking about XII being a single-player game led by Matsuno and Ito since at least 2001, and in 2002 they ran a two-page magazine ad for the game featuring Kamikokuryo's Archades key art and introducing some of the developers. The first actual showing for the game was at a dedicated event in late 2003.

- XIII and Versus XIII: Announced at E3 2006 during Sony's press conference, two months after FFXII had released in Japan.

- XIV: Announced at E3 2009, during Sony's press conference, before XIII had released.

- XV: Announced at E3 2013, during Sony's press conference, before XIV2.0 had released.

- VIIR: Announced at E3 2015, during Sony's press conference, before FFXV had released.

I mean, whether or not XVI gets announced today, it's not like the thought of it happening is as outlandish some here make it out to be. It's certainly not too early by any means. I don't think anyone is expecting a major showing for the game, but a small trailer with logo and some characters shouldn't be too unreasonable.

Last edited:

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly no, but it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility for SE to announce a major project 5+ years in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.