• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the best human squadmate?

• Ashley

Votes: 93 6.9%
  • Kaiden

Votes: 80 5.9%
  • Jacob

Votes: 46 3.4%
  • Miranda

Votes: 549 40.6%
  • Jack

Votes: 370 27.4%
  • Zaeed

Votes: 82 6.1%
  • Kasumi

Votes: 132 9.8%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think Kaiden and Carth are that similar. Carth is a vindictive prick who's extra pissed off about everything, where as Kaidan is mostly just...boring. He's the melba toast of the party's Chex Mix.

Like I know Raph Sbarge doesn't have a ton of vocal range but the two characters are pretty different.

I hadn't played KOTOR when I played ME1, but after I did I found them similar. The reason is because both are very private, professional people. They don't like to talk about their personal lives so trying to converse with them is like pulling teeth and what they do have to say isn't that interesting.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I liked Jack personally. She had some good depth to her and a fighters spirit. I liked her back story as well, It fleshed out her history and gave her personality a complexity I dug. She just clicked with me.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I made sure Jack died at the end. Didn't really care too much about the others. Zaeed was the best complement to my Renegade Shepard, but I remember he backtalked one of my decisions, so I think I shot him and left him to die somewhere.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Jack or Kasumi are probably there.

Funnily enough, Vega was probably bottom tier for me until my most recent replay. Hes actually pretty solid

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I legit though I was going to be the only one voting for Miranda. Glad I'm not insane. She is by far the most fleshed out, and well realized human character, if not overall character, in the entire series.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I only cared and liked Miranda and Jack,my favorite was Jack,didn't liked her in the beginning but she grown on me,Zaeed I didn't played the content with him,the others all suck.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Jacob made Kaiden come off as interesting in comparison which says a lot about Jacob.

I guess we at least got the 'But the Prize...' meme from Jacob.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Miranda is a cool character, i just wish she wasnt so objectified, it makes mass effect 2 feel very dated. But its between her and jacob, i think they are both fantastic, miranda has a cool arc what with her father, jacobs familial issues are interesting too.

best female romance option though is liara, without a doubt, for male its garrus. I always end up going with liara, even when i try to romance someone else.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
454e21ccbfd260f7736b9796c11a0db3.jpg

id play a miranda spin off where you can play as her.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miranda is a cool character, i just wish she wasnt so objectified, it makes mass effect 2 feel very dated. But its between her and jacob, i think they are both fantastic, miranda has a cool arc what with her father, jacobs familial issues are interesting too.

best female romance option though is liara, without a doubt, for male its garrus. I always end up going with liara, even when i try to romance someone else.

I actually didn't romance anyone on M.E.2 because of that.
<3 Liara <3

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So many people I know felt this way, but Ashley being a shitty space racist was a much worse crime in my mind than having a similar voice to a jerk from a decade ago.
Kaiden felt like the same awful character as Carth, even beyond the voice. I haven't played KotOR in ages but I remember both of them as insufferable wet blankets.

I just kept the space racist out of my party.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Garrus's more human than any of them.

Between those, I dunno, they all suck.

Probably Miranda. Or Ash I dunno.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Kaidan. Don't know why he gets all the hate he does, he's chill and a good love interest. Biggest flaw with him is that he isn't a same-sex romance until the goddamn third game.

Honorable mention to Kasumi. I remember her being fun, but... very little on the specifics.

Miranda would be better if the game's camera didn't treat her as if she were a sentient ass. The objectification there for the benefit of the straight male audience was just embarrassing.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
As an actual party member in combat I'd pick Kasumi. Too bad she's tacked on with DLC and doesn't really mean anything to the story.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Jack is the most interesting. Miranda got a bit better when she opened up a bit, but I'm still not a fan.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
The hell's all this Miranda love coming from? Did a repressed high school take over? She's not a bad character by any means (design aside), but she's basically a big ol bowl of porridge next to Jack and Kasumi.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me realize that I only used human crew mates when I was forced to. Otherwise, aliens all day.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I knew he wouldn't be a popular choice, but I voted for Kaidan. He was kind of boring, for sure, but hearing how he suffered from headaches, as someone with occasional migraines myself, endeared him to me early on. I also enjoyed that 'human' romance element between him and Shep through all the space drama.

Ashley suuuucks, Miranda and Kasumi were good squad mates (Kasumi's loyalty mission was a highpoint in the series for me), and Zaeed had a rough-neck crotchedly asshole thing going on that I enjoyed. Jacob and Jack also suck (but not as much as Ashley).

The REAL best human though? Dr. Karin Chakwas. I would share a bottle of brandy with her anytime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This poll is the equivalent to the cinematic Aunt Mays ranking thread from the other day.
At least Aunt May is usually helping charities and not, you know, xenophobic human extremists. Not to my knowledge.

I admit, I am surprised at Miranda's popularity. I thought she'd be my romance in ME2... until I got to know her.

Oct 25, 2017
Aloof, intense brunettes make me weak in the knees, so it has to be Miranda. Glad to see people here have good taste.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Miranda was great, but I'd be lying if I picked anyone other than Jack.

I loved her and her storylines. Also taking her along on missions was fantastic.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is reminding me of how exciting it will be to play through these again in the inevitable remaster just to make the exact same decisions because I fear change.

I can't wait to replay all three games and ignore all the human squadmates like I always do lmao

Like, I have zero desire to use any of them over Garrus/Wrex/Tali/Mordin/Thane/Liara/etc. They're all infinitely more interesting.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The poll is best human character, not most moral character. Miranda is winning because she's a extremely fleshed out and and interesting character. I think Ashley is a FAR better character than Kaidan, but I also think she's a racist fuck. Her views and personality make her interesting compared to boring, good guy Kaiden.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
Surprised about Miranda being so far ahead here. I personally didn't like her that much. I think the human companions are always the weakest but I actually found Kaidan to be relatively compelling as a character development in Mass Effect 3. Jack is also really interesting and probably my favorite human character arc. Kasumi and Zaeed are a lot of fun but suffer from being DLC characters who lack the fleshed out storylines of the main squadmates. And I know a lot of people really hate on Andromeda, but I thought Cora was cool although I wish they'd leaned more into a rivalry with her early on after being snuffed for Pathfinder.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all about the Holy Human Biotic Booty Trinity of Miranda, Kaidan, and Jack. (I love Zaeed and Kasumi, and they are two of my most used party members in ME2, but we didn't get as much character interaction with them in comparison to the rest of the party.)

I voted for Kaidan in the poll because the poll itself and half the users in thread can't spell his name right, lol. Poor guy. In a cast of eccentric characters in both the ME trilogy and the Dragon Age games, Kaidan's grounded and sensible normalcy is refreshing. I wasn't the biggest fan of either Kaidan or Liara in ME1 (their romances felt incredibly creepy forced), but come ME3 and putting the whole trilogy into context, they felt like two of the most realistic characters and relationships. Kaidan had a huge glow up in combat by ME3, too, becoming tanky as hell along with having great abilities.

Nov 8, 2017
They all make me snooze with their personalities but Miranda was functionally extremely useful as a squadmate on higher difficulties, so she gets the nod.

Dec 20, 2017
TBH I feel like the human squadmates have to be split into two camps, with Kaiden, Ashley, Jacob, and Vega on one side and Miranda, Jack, Zaeed, and Kasumi on the other side. The first group are human squadmates who are supposed to be "everyman" type characters, and the second group are supposed to be more outlandish and sci-fi. Like the first group of characters were designed as human specifically because they were supposed to appear "normal," and the concepts that define the second group of characters would have worked on any species. Of the "everyman" type characters I think Vega is by far the most likable, and of the more outlandish characters I prefer Jack.