• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the best human squadmate?

• Ashley

Votes: 93 6.9%
  • Kaiden

Votes: 80 5.9%
  • Jacob

Votes: 46 3.4%
  • Miranda

Votes: 549 40.6%
  • Jack

Votes: 370 27.4%
  • Zaeed

Votes: 82 6.1%
  • Kasumi

Votes: 132 9.8%

• Total voters

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I actually really liked Vega. There's nothing extraordinary about him but Freddie Prinze gives one of the better performances in the series and it adds a lot to his presence. I understand not having any strong feelings about him whatsoever since they don't really do a lot with him (there was potential for some professional jealousy or animosity between him and Shepard over his history with the Collectors) but it's always felt like the people who hate him simply wrote him off the second they saw his physique.

Jack grew on me over time, so it's probably her overall. Also, despite her not being my favourite, shoutout to Ashley for being the most interesting squadmate in ME1. She's the only companion in the first game who feels thoroughly explored, everyone else is either a terminal of information for their species or... uh, Kaidan.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Liara acted like a freshman with a crush on her professor. Her sudden obsession with Shepard was downright creepy. Maybe it's different in the third game (I never finished that one) but her romance in the first one is just wish fulfillment for people who want a nerdy awkward naive young girl who only has eyes for them.
I picked Ashley as the romance option in 1, Miranda in 2, and decided to stay with Miranda in 3, but based on some of the writing towards the end of 3, it seems extremely obvious the writers heavily favor Liara as the "correct" choice.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked Ashley as the romance option in 1, Miranda in 2, and decided to stay with Miranda in 3, but based on some of the writing towards the end of 3, it seems extremely obvious the writers heavily favor Liara as the "correct" choice.
she's also one of the few party members you can't get rid of. it was really irritating how she kept getting pushed on the player. that spoiled shadow broker for me

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I remember that thread and it's still not wrong.

Liara acted like a freshman with a crush on her professor. Her sudden obsession with Shepard was downright creepy. Maybe it's different in the third game (I never finished that one) but her romance in the first one is just wish fulfillment for people who want a nerdy awkward naive young girl who only has eyes for them.

Liara ages like 50 years mentally from 1 to 2. She goes from being this naive young girl to being a conniving, cynical cut throat who will brutally extinguish anyone in her way.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Also, I must add something;

WHAT THEY DID WITH MIRANDA IN ME3 WAS CRIMINAL.

The fact taht she did not have a single interaction with TIM is absurd. At the very least she should have been in the Cerberus' HQ raid instead of EDI, at least as an option.
Yeah, she barely plays any role in the story in ME3. Makes me mad. What was even her reason not to join your group?
Actually, did anyone in ME3 had a really good reason not to join your team (except for those characters who die before they can join)?

Oct 28, 2017
Miranda. I always liked Zaeed and Jack too though. Kaiden, Jacob and James are ok - but I never liked Ashley. Edit, forgot Kasumi - I really liked her.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny, none of my favorite squad mates in the games are humans. That speaks to the skill of BioWare in making believable worlds and species.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Close call between Miranda and Jack. Miranda was more interesting to me because of the Cerberus angle and being tenuous allies. I wish Kasumi was fleshed out more.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Funny thing to me is that the game goes on and on and on and on about how Miranda is supposed to be "genetically perfect in every way" but her face looks like someone forced Yvonne Strahovski to do the Fusion Dance with a potato. She looks so fucking weird and the ENDLESS prattle about how perfect she is is ruined by the fact that the BioWare engine just can't handle faces.

The thing I always found really funny about Miranda is that her sister is supposed to be a genetic duplicate of her -- but she has "generic NPC female face" instead of, y'know, Miranda's face.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kaidan and Jacob at the bottom was to be expected. It's like there's a rule in Bioware to pair you with one boring goody two shoes human-male companion who even makes vanilla look spicy.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had sex with Jacob, because he's gorgeous, and then cheated on him with Thane. Which tells you everything you need to know about Jacob. He's hot, but that's the only good thing there is about him.

I forgot Vega even existed, as do many, so you could, convincingly, argue that he's the worst, but I've never really considered Vega a character as much as I've considered him to be a ship decoration. Like a houseplant, or something. Best when quiet and avoided.

Kaiden is unmatched in his ability to put you to sleep. I never visit him when he's in the hospital.

Ashley is on the lowest floor, and it is never worth sitting through a loading screen just to talk to her. Needles to say, I never visit her when she's in the hospital, either.

Jack makes me want to take a shower.

Miranda is mostly stable and mostly interesting and the appeal of that shouldn't be underestimated.

EDI post Mass Effect 2 was a mistake. And, also, not a person. She's an AI and that's all she'll ever be.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Also, fuck people calling Ashley a racist when the person winning the poll was second-in-command of a human supremacist terrorist group for fuck's sake.

Miranda doesn't espouse racist views, she basically just joins Cerberus because they trick her, like you, that they are helping humanity and are willing to use all her skillsets.

Ashley drops racist shit every second she opens her mouth, "I can't tell the aliens from the animals."

That's the difference.

The thing I always found really funny about Miranda is that her sister is supposed to be a genetic duplicate of her -- but she has "generic NPC female face" instead of, y'know, Miranda's face.

This always bothered me.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Miranda in a bubble is a bit ehhh. Here's a attractive super spy lady working for the bad guy but is loyal to you and whose main plot hook is scientifically engineered genetics! It's.. cheesy, but Mass Effect leans into Sci-Fi cheesy, so it works. And there's no denying she's got a story.

Jack is marginally better, because ME3 throws her character into quite a unexpected direction and by golly it works. It's nice. It's neat. It's downright wholesome.

Ashley and Kaiden are, hmm. Kaiden's Canadian, no? That's what gives him the edge. Space Canadian!

James "Beefsteak-Butch-Deadlift-Vanderhuge" Vega is such a goddamn upgrade from the prior two. He's the charmingly dumbass boots-on-the-ground soldier with a surprisingly subdued side that makes cowboyin' around in the galaxy so much more fun. If he was around from the start people would stick with the man through thick and thin.

I feel like Jacob had wasted potential? I dunno what to tell you

Kasumi and Big-Dick-Zaeed are actually really fun, but suffer from being products of DLC.

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of gameplay, Miranda is far and away the best with her combination of skills and passive abilities.

In terms of character? Hmm. For me, I'd pick Jack. Just because her arc has a very happy end.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miranda and the choice is obvious.

BTW- I killed Ashley in my first playthrough of ME1

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Miranda doesn't espouse racist views, she basically just joins Cerberus because they trick her, like you, that they are helping humanity and are willing to use all her skillsets.

Ashley drops racist shit every second she opens her mouth, "I can't tell the aliens from the animals."

That's the difference.
I like Miranda, but you don't get to be pretty much the right-hand of the head of Cerberus without being aware of the type of people she's dealing with. Jacob, at least, is naive. The Shadow Broker's files even state that the death of Miranda could possibly cripple Cerberus because of how much influence she had.

...Or she's an idiot with blinders on.

There's even a mod for it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I like Miranda, but you don't get to be pretty much the right-hand of the head of Cerberus without being aware of the type of people she's dealing with. Jacob, at least, is naive. The Shadow Broker's files even state that the death of Miranda could possibly cripple Cerberus because of how much influence she had.

They basically retconned that with ME3 though, apparently she wasn't his #2 and rarely saw him face-to-face. Him devoting so much time, personally, to the Lazarus Project was an anomaly so she never really got a full read on him.

So yeah, "retcon" even though one could say that the Shadow Broker's information was simply incorrect. But we all know ME2 was selling her as TIM's right-hand.

Dec 20, 2017
Ashley for sure. I like that she starts prejudiced a bit against aliens and you can help her get over it. I like that she stands up to you in ME2 and I honestly can't remember all that much in 3 if I'm being honest.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They basically retconned that with ME3 though, apparently she wasn't his #2 and rarely saw him face-to-face. Him devoting so much time, personally, to the Lazarus Project was an anomaly so she never really got a full read on him.

So yeah, "retcon" even though one could say that the Shadow Broker's information was simply incorrect. But we all know ME2 was selling her as TIM's right-hand.
"He's very clear about our goals: protect humanity and serve its advancement."

I feel Miranda's a tough nut to crack, and one line in particular told me exactly why she's with Cerberus. "Cerberus doesn't tell me something is impossible. They give me the resources and tell me to do it." I feel like she knew they were just as awful as everyone else told them they were, but she got results and didn't want to give it up until after the events of ME2. "Too many join Cerberus out of fully xenophobic reasons, not the right ones."

So, in short, her view is that Cerberus isn't racist, but it's #1 with racists.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020

Yea Liara's seems like she's the canon romance option, but a kinda boring character. Her final goodbye scene is touching tho.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This angle is the best squadmate.

b89.png
We all know this the reason Miranda is winning the poll anyway.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I guess Jack but in general the human ones are the weakest so it's not that much of a competition.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
On a good day I can name two human companions. The alien squad mates across all 3 games were always waaay more interesting then any of the humans lol.

I liked Tali so much more before they started treating her like a potential romantic partner. Once they made her romanceable the whole thing started to skew into this weird Western version of the waifu trope and it made me extremely uncomfortable.

Garrus and Wrex are my bros though. Always. And Mordin was fun but weird. I dunno, maybe BioWare is just really bad at writing women.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to humans, it's usually Ashely's who's in my squad. That's probably just because she was such a tank in the first game so I found her the most useful.
I guess because of that I was just used to keeping her around throughout the series.

Sucks she doesn't have a chainsaw for a hand and a double-barreled shotgun though...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He basically was Carth.

I hated Ashley but at least the racist has a character arc.

I honestly don't think Kaiden and Carth are that similar. Carth is a vindictive prick who's extra pissed off about everything, where as Kaidan is mostly just...boring. He's the melba toast of the party's Chex Mix.

Like I know Raph Sbarge doesn't have a ton of vocal range but the two characters are pretty different.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Miranda is probably my favorite but I agree with the camera angles criticism here, Jack was pretty cool too and I liked her backstory even though it was tragic.
Kaiden is always my choice over Ashley, I remember being very disappointed with Ashley in ME2 when I first met her in that game and saw a reaction completely opposite to what I was expecting, she was a bitch :/

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Jack and Kasumi. Kaiden was the absolute most boring motherfucker and I never left anyone to die so fast.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is reminding me of how exciting it will be to play through these again in the inevitable remaster just to make the exact same decisions because I fear change.