In what capacity will future installments of Call of Duty be on Playstation?

• None, Microsoft will buy out/pay penalties to remove all instances of CoD on Playstation that they c

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • Limited, MS will honor existing contracts. Nothing more.

Votes: 279 22.3%
  • Partial, MS will honor existing contracts and then only release Warzone after obligations are met

Votes: 636 50.8%
  • Mostly, MS will honor all contracts and keep the CoD franchise on Playstation but with

Votes: 128 10.2%
  • Full, MS will honor all contracts and Cod will release on PlayStation day and date at parity.

Votes: 126 10.1%
  • Complete, MS will treat Activision Blizzard as a 3rd party release all Activision Blizzard games on

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • Gamepass, CoD will be the Trojan Horse MS uses to try to get Gamepass on PlayStation

Votes: 48 3.8%

• Total voters

AshenOne

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Warzone is 100% coming to PS. No way it won't for a big franchise like CoD however that and the CoD games releasing in 2023 on PS will be the end of it unfortunately for PS only owners.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just Warzone + existing contracts, unless Sony has some version of Gamepass on Playstation.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I doubt that MS will prevent the mainline COD from releasing on PS consoles. The majority of the player base and sales are on that platform. So it will significantly reduce the overall sales of the game if that happens. Other games might grow to take its place. I think just adding COD to game pass is already a big win for MS. That will give their platform a big advantage without gutting the franchise reach. But for other AB IP, it will be a different story. I think those will become exclusive on MS consoles or platforms.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Sony will lose their marketing deal after 2023, when it supposedly ends. All of those perks and benefits will be exclusive to Xbox. Mainline COD games will continue to release (bi-annual hopefully) on Playstation at retail price, but day one on Game Pass. Expect GPU COD specific perks for seasonal boosts and other things that Sony didn't have access to during their marketing period.

Warzone will also remain multiplatorm. Warzone 2.0, if it ever happens, will be multiplatform as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how they wouldn't win by keeping it on PS.

I'm not sure 70bil in the gamble that everyone will suddenly throw their playstations in the trash to buy xboxes for call of duty makes sense either. That's not what is going to happen in the short term, and is questionable in the long term. I think they're playing a different game with this deal than Bethesda where it was obviously to fold the IP in. This would allow them to essentially farm money and deals from Sony which is probably a better benefit for their market plans- this is a giant expansion deal and I don't think they're looking at it as solely "we're now just going to take our new IP and go home".

Smaller IP though? Yeah, totally exclusive.

Completely agree.

COD isn't the same as any other IP that MS have acquired. Nothing involved in the Bethesda deal is remotely the same (no, not even Starfield).

There's going to be a negotiating table with the COD money on it and a seat for both MS and Sony. Maybe it ends with Sony paying a huge premium or allowing GamePass on PS5, but there's a deal to be made. And I think it's in mutual interest that one gets done.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
For some reason I doubt that MS will prevent the mainline COD from releasing on PS consoles. The majority of the player base and sales are on that platform. So it will significantly reduce the overall sales of the game if that happens.
Couldn't the same be said for previous gen owners compared to current gen owners? At some point, franchises make the decision to leave massive userbases behind for smaller userbases to move the game into the current generation. I don't think Xbox will have a problem leaving the massive PlayStation userbase behind knowing it will be building out its new userbase going forward with curious Gamepass users and PlayStation -> Xbox converts due to some people wanting to play COD no matter what the console is.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Sony will lose their marketing deal after 2023, when it supposedly ends. All of those perks and benefits will be exclusive to Xbox. Mainline COD games will continue to release (bi-annual hopefully) on Playstation at retail price, but day one on Game Pass. Expect GPU COD specific perks for seasonal boosts and other things that Sony didn't have access to during their marketing period.

Warzone will also remain multiplatorm. Warzone 2.0, if it ever happens, will be multiplatform as well.
So Microsoft paid $70 billion for a marketing deal and day 1 on game pass 😅

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Sony had a CoD marketing deal, which depending on the details of it could keep it on the platform for a few years after MS takes over.

I guess what I'm confused is the difference between these two

Limited, MS will honor existing contracts. Nothing more
Partial, MS will honor existing contracts and then only release Warzone after obligations are met

Because isn't Warzone already on PS4/5 ?

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
100% Partial option. Warzone and existing contracts.

After that it will be pushing everyone onto Gamepass and with something like COD, that will actually hit the mainstream big time.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I guess what I'm confused is the difference between these two

Because isn't Warzone already on PS4/5 ?
I think the difference is that Warzone would continue even on PS6 if that were to happen.

So Microsoft paid $70 billion for a marketing deal and day 1 on game pass 😅
They get tons of IPs, tons of studios (many of which are going to be working on exclusives), tons of successful mobile developers.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
I know Activision made it seem otherwise the last year or so but they have a ton of other games than Call of Duty
I think the difference is that Warzone would continue even on PS6 if that were to happen.

They get tons of IPs, tons of studios (many of which are going to be working on exclusives), tons of successful mobile developers.
No, they spent $70 billion dollars for Activision Blizzard and all that it includes. Which isn't just Call of Duty, which makes the majority of it's money from MTX across all platforms.
The vast majority of their value comes from King and Call of Duty and Microsoft will obviously leverage COD to increase their game pass numbers in the console space.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I read the Spencer tweet as if it's mostly. They'll keep CoD on Playstation, honor existing contracts, but then keep exclusive content and perks on Xbox, once the contractual agreements run out.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I'd say partial. Existing contracts will obviously be honored, like Bethesda, even if that means timed moneyhat exclusive DLC. Then Warzone which makes billions off of microtransactions will be the trojan horse that makes people who want the full CoD experience jump into the Xbox ecosystem.

I expect CoD Xbox Series S bundles on 2024 which are going to fly off shelves like nothing we've seen before for a pack-in bundle.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
The vast majority of their value comes from King and Call of Duty and Microsoft will obviously leverage COD to increase their game pass numbers in the console space.

Sure, but I don't believe they will, and I say that as someone who doesn't own a Playstation, nor care to. There are ways to incentivize people to come to Game Pass for COD in the same way the marketing deals incentivized a huge audience to abandon Xbox for Playstation to begin with. Even content creators like XclusiveAce, who believe it will always remain multiplatform, are now buying Xboxes for the benefits that will inevitably come with it.

Maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll see eventually.

OP
OP
Governergrimm

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Hold up, what does this mean? For future PS consoles? What obligations?
It's a bit of my own word salad adding ambiguity to cover deals we don't know about. We don't know all deals or time frames of the deals involved. I don't believe they have any contracts through 2030 but I don't know all of Activision's financials.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Warzone will stay on PS, maybe other MP modes, too. They make a lot of money off them and PlayStation is what? More than 1/3 of the Userbase?
Xbox players will get advantages though. Free cosmetics, ingame currency, exclusives modes. Maybe the single-player campaigns will release exclusively on Xbox.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Warzone will continue on, boxed retail releases will be exclusive once whatever the marketing deal is up.

I don't think MS will sweat the large PS playerbase too much when this kind of deal seems to be thinking about the next decades rather than immediately trying to recoup the 70 billy spent as fast as possible.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Existing contracts obviously, and afterwards I'd guess PlayStation releases half a year after Xbox.

Perhaps they'll go fully exclusive but that's a pretty big market they'd be missing out on, given CoDs sales numbers.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017

Not a chance in hell, sorry

This is people going through the Bethesda stages of grief all over again. Telling themselves ES6 and Starfield will still be coming to PlayStation.

Thankfully it seems the poll is much more reflective of the overwhelming likely reality at this point, Warzone remains and current contractual obligations that can't be negated, or would reflect poorly on Microsoft for terminating, are honored, everything beyond that will require GamePass adoption or Microsoft hardware/Windows.

You don't spend 70 billion on a company to just alter a marketing deal and get their flagship game on Gamepass day and date. And the rest of their portfolio isn't worth that asking price either.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Copout answer: nobody knows.
Real answer: nobody knows(not even MS)
I don't think we can assume that MS has the long term strategy for any of these acquisitions set in stone. Obviously if Xbox sales and Gamepass subscriptions soar, then they may happily drop multiplat for everything. If not, they may still play the long game and grow them both at a steady pace while still getting the nice COD revenue from PS. Sure, they have deep pockets to take on any short term loss but they're still a business

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Depends on how Microsoft feels like punching the numbers, and just how long term their long term plans are.

But also, I can't help but feel like the existing contracts are going to be the biggest sticking point for the status of COD, because if the marketing agreement lasts for a couple years AND says that a Game Pass launch isn't allowed, I can most definitely see the Xbox team negotiating with Sony to allow COD on Game Pass day one. I can't see Microsoft not doing everything in their power to get COD day one on Game Pass once they own it.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I think CoD is like Minecraft in that it's too big to contain on one console and PC. But I could very well be completely wrong on this.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Copout answer: nobody knows.
Real answer: nobody knows(not even MS)
I don't think we can assume that MS has the long term strategy for any of these acquisitions set in stone. Obviously if Xbox sales and Gamepass subscriptions soar, then they may happily drop multiplat for everything. If not, they may still play the long game and grow them both at a steady pace while still getting the nice COD revenue from PS. Sure, they have deep pockets to take on any short term loss but they're still a business
I very much, truly, honestly doubt that Microsoft was just flying that blind with this acquisition.

I guarantee there was/is a team of economists, accountants, financial forecasters comprising the acquisition team, all going over every revenue document and forecasting every type of future strategy to determine whether the purchase makes financial and business sense for Microsoft, and what the company's value should be and why.

They might not have every detail set in stone , but I would be shocked if they don't already have a near and longer-term strategy in mind with how they plan to leverage this acquisition to build their brand and generate revenue.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Not a chance in hell, sorry

This is people going through the Bethesda stages of grief all over again. Telling themselves ES6 and Starfield will still be coming to PlayStation.

What grief? I don't own a Playstation lol. I play on Xbox and PC. Have for years. Keep telling me about my feelings and grief though, it's fascinating insight into my own mind and emotions lol.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft needs exclusive content.

Sony is close to rebooting PSNow as a competitor to Gamepass. They're working on ps1, ps2, and PS3 BC. Rumors were going around last year about them teaming up with Netflix.

Long term, keeping CoD on PlayStation would probably be a bad move. Sony will be leveraging all of their existing games, IP, and industry partnerships to bolster their exclusive ecosystem. Microsoft will be looking to do the same.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Depends on how Microsoft feels like punching the numbers, and just how long term their long term plans are.

But also, I can't help but feel like the existing contracts are going to be the biggest sticking point for the status of COD, because if the marketing agreement lasts for a couple years AND says that a Game Pass launch isn't allowed, I can most definitely see the Xbox team negotiating with Sony to allow COD on Game Pass day one. I can't see Microsoft not doing everything in their power to get COD day one on Game Pass once they own it.
One thing I don't think we can assume is that these marketing agreements are completely ironclad from a Sony perspective either.

I am guessing there are probably at least some out classes and voidable components if Microsoft so chooses. It's not like Activision would have come to such negotiations from a position of weakness, it was Sony trying to smooth talk and deliver some moneyhats to gain competitive advantage. Reasons to believe Activision likely got a friendly deal from their perspective.

It would be quite the oversight if they spent 70 billion dollars on a company that's flagship title would be locked out from their flagship service for three years….but they'd still have to spend money to maintain the brand and product at the highest level to retain its value.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They'll honor existing contracts and continue supporting already released games l, just like they honored Bethesda's existing contracts (Deathloop & Ghostwire) and just like how they continued supporting Bethesda's already released GaaS games (Elder Scrolls Online & Fallout 76).

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I very much, truly, honestly doubt that Microsoft was just flying that blind with this acquisition.

I guarantee there was/is a team of economists, accountants, financial forecasters comprising the acquisition team, all going over every revenue document and forecasting every type of future strategy to determine whether the purchase makes financial and business sense for Microsoft, and what the company's value should be and why.

They might not have every detail set in stone , but I would be shocked if they don't already have a near and longer-term strategy in mind with how they plan to leverage this acquisition to build their brand and generate revenue.
I didn't imply there was no long term strategy in the acquisition. I only mean that the strategy could be flexible enough to take into account where the market goes the next few years.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft needs exclusive content.

Sony is close to rebooting PSNow as a competitor to Gamepass. They're working on ps1, ps2, and PS3 BC. Rumors were going around last year about them teaming up with Netflix.

Long term, keeping CoD on PlayStation would probably be a bad move. Sony will be leveraging all of their existing games, IP, and industry partnerships to bolster their exclusive ecosystem. Microsoft will be looking to do the same.
This is also important.

There's a world where maybe Sony and Microsoft could come to a positive sum agreement where both set aside tit for tat competition and embrace a shared space initiative, where maybe Microsoft allows and ports CoD and Halo to Sony 6 months after release, and Sony agrees to, idk, port Horizon and TLOU3 over 6 months after release, but Sony has largely doubled down on the walled garden approach to marketing their brand, outside of multi-year later PC releases, and while that doesn't mean Microsoft must be a reactionary to that, there is little incentive for them to be spending additional money to help bolster a competitor's brand power of it means eliminating your own brand differentiating strengths at a cost to you.

It is difficult to imagine a world where Microsoft, goes, "yep, let's spend X millions of dollars to develop a port of the newest CoD to PS5 knowing full well it cuts into the value proposition of our Xbox strategy and Sony is actively attempting to adjacently market against us for our lack of blockbuster exclusives."

Last edited:

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Existing contracts and Warzone are a given, not sure how they handle it from there. Maybe they consider it a Minecraft type brand and Playstation still gets yearly releases, but the Xbox/PC versions have exclusive content/modes. It's entirely possible and even likely that they just pull it from Playstation after a certain point, but I don't feel 100% certain.

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Whatever MS thinks will benefit gamepass. Or it could be bigger than gamepass, and at the same time benefit gamepass. For right now keeping everything on gamepass,PC, and xbox would be a good guess.

Activision should be worth more than 70 billion, which is likely why they were bought out, since MS are getting good value for their money. How they move forward with the company will tell the bigger picture. Right now Activision is worth 50-70 billion because of COD, COD is right now the best selling game every year. But maybe MS has a different better strategy moving forward for them, we know it will involve gamepass, and that for them is huge, as it will bring in many subscribers.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
They would have to break the whole deal or also put it on Spartacus day one, there's no way Sony will spend probably north of 100 million marketing a CoD to have it be on Game Pass day one.
I mean, if their choices are keep CoD multiplat for the whole gen if it comes day one to GP and earn their 30% cut on games and MTX or lose CoD after 2023 or whenever the contract is up, I think they'd allow it to come to Game Pass. They aren't the one in the bargaining position here.

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Elder Scrolls and Fallout offer the example here. Platform/GAAS version continues to be multiplatform. Main entries become exclusive.

Anything could happen though, maybe they see COD more like Minecraft Dungeons and for whatever reason it fits into their strategy to have it be multiplatform. Maybe they'll wait to see how console sales move over the next two years before making a decision.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Existing contracts and that's it.

Do you think Sony would be putting CoD on Xbox if they bought the ip? Hell no!

May 15, 2019
They'll keep supporting Warzone and that's it, similar to how they've dealt with previous acquisitions. I entirely believe Phil's comments are just him being legally (or just as a smart businessman) bound to not interfere with Activision's business by making remarks about COD's future until the deal is through. He can't go setting up this year's Call of Duty to fail on PlayStation.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the annual games will still be multiplatform based on that Spencer tweet. Maybe it's timed exclusive or Xbox gets extra bonuses but that's the impression It gave off, not sure why else he would say all that unprompted.

I would have assumed just Warzone after marketing deal ran out before the tweet.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
For people insisting that Warzone will continue to be on PlayStation through the next iteration - how do you envision that happening? Specifically, is Xbox really going to be developing the experience with the PS5 in mind? Do they outsource that development to a third party? Do they partner with Sony to figure out the crossplay implementation and to have the engine developed for both ... but then just not develop the mainline game for PS5?