• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that a lot of people have always wanted a version of Pokémon that basically looks like Dragon Quest XI. Sword and Shield are close. Honestly I think the 3DS games were a significant step in that direction.

I don't think they'll ever step back from turn-based though. It makes the game more accessible in Japan, and at this point the basic rule set is pretty much an esport.

OP
OP
Revolsin

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lighting is worse, texture detail is worse, resolution is 1/4 of Sword and Shield. Shall I continue?

Found a screenshot and this is WFF on Vita? Shit looks really clean and nice honestly
victory_pose_fix.jpg

Really surprising given how much weaker a Vita is than a Switch

Oct 25, 2017
Literally none of them build upon what the op is talking about. They aren't improving the rpg and making changes to that.

One is a fighting game, two are glorified supergameboys for their respective consoles, a camera game they haven't touched since 64, etc.

Nothing the op said was too obtuse for you to not get that, holy shit.
Eh Pokémon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are probably the closest things to what some people mean when it comes to a larger budget Pokemon RPG. Snap is the closest thing to the anime as well.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I wouldn't use Sun and Moon as examples of expanding the series. The changes in those games primarily limit player choice. It is unreasonable to compare the most linear games in the series with the idea of a big open world pokemon game.
Sun and Moon has far more player choice than pretty every Pokemon game pre X/Y and especially more choice than Let's Go.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
On topic. I only like the multiplayer to this series, pls cut out the bullshit already.

Get rid of ivs, they are trash. They add nothing of value, becauese regardless of what you want to build, you would naturally want the perfect iv version of that pokemon. You gain nothing as a player if they have modest ivs.

Give me the entire roster of moves a pokemon can learn as tms n hms. Stop the egg hatching bullshit. There is nothing fun about making my two pokemon fuck. So I can get a move transferred. That is so much more time consuming and adds nothing to the game than filler bullshit.

I can't remember if TMs are infinite and if Hm slaves are still a thing (I stopped at y), but for the love of god fix this. Holy shit.

Make improving n resetting evs quicker, evs can stay since they actually allow for different builds for certain pokemon. But speed that process up. Again less work, more fun.

The mp is satisfying because of the strategy, and nothing about the work adds to that. So gut it pls. Additionally the theory that youngins would be housed by competitive types, um they still are going to have that happen to them anyway? Nature of multiplayer.

Single player wise, I can tolerate that shit for what it is. Not for me, but the quicker I can form a team after I'm done with solo stuff, the better.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Eh Pokémon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are probably the closest things to what some people mean when it comes to a larger budget Pokemon RPG. Snap is the closest thing to the anime as well.
So games that don't have even a fraction of the normal scope of a mainline Pokémon game are considered the closest thing to what people want in terms of budget? LOL
Go replay those games, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
So games that don't have even a fraction of the normal scope of a mainline Pokémon game are considered the closest thing to what people want in terms of budget? LOL
Go replay those games, you have no idea what you're talking about.
That's the arguement though. To get that kind of budget and production values, those games had to be scaled down in terms of scope. Seeing Pokemon live and breath in Snap is great and all but it was still just an hour long on-rails photography game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
For everyone complaining about Sword and Shield not looking like DQXI: stop.

There are over 800 Pokemon, a huge graphical update would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Sword and Shield are using the same Pokemon models from the 3DS games for a reason, and Gamefreak clearly made those models with the intent of reusing them for the foreseeable future. We aren't getting any significant graphical changes until GF decides to retire the 3DS models, and who knows when that'll be.
I can't remember if TMs are infinite and if Hm slaves are still a thing (I stopped at y), but for the love of god fix this. Holy shit.
TMs became infinite in Gen 5. HMs were gotten rid of in Gen 7

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
isn't colosseum just pokemon stadium?

Fair point on gale of darkness tho, but didn't that game have tons of features missing from regular ass pokemon?

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017

There are over 800 Pokemon, a huge graphical update would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Sword and Shield are using the same Pokemon models from the 3DS games for a reason, and Gamefreak clearly made those models with the intent of reusing them for the foreseeable future. We aren't getting any significant graphical changes until GF decided to retire the 3DS models, and who knows when that'll be.

TMs became infinite in Gen 5. HMs were gotten rid of in Gen 7
Y was gen 6? It's why I did the qualifier on the tms. I felt like I remember being able to use the same tm multiple times no issue, but remember I definitely had a fly slave.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect had the most wasted potential and thats a fact. By the third novel it began to suck. With Cerial Killer Kai Leng, poor story points/new characters/ending of the third game and of course we all know about Andromeda.

It could have been the next Halo, but it died almost as quick as Emily Wong on Twitter.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

There are over 800 Pokemon, a huge graphical update would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Sword and Shield are using the same Pokemon models from the 3DS games for a reason, and Gamefreak clearly made those models with the intent of reusing them for the foreseeable future. We aren't getting any significant graphical changes until GF decided to retire the 3DS models, and who knows when that'll be.

Eh, the Pokemon models themselves barely come up in this thread though. The weird low res texture on the trainer's outfit for example is a much more baffling sight.

isn't colosseum just pokemon stadium?

Fair point on gale of darkness tho, but didn't that game have tons of features missing from regular ass pokemon?

Colosseum was an RPG too. But, yes, both were very limited compared to the portable titles. There was no actual world traversal, or rather routes connecting the locations, you just chose points from a map. No wild Pokemon battles at all in Colosseum and very limited ones in XD, so you mostly got Pokemon by stealing specific "Shadow" Pokemon from enemy trainers and purifying them. The whole experience was very limiting (likely deriberately so in order to avoid stepping on the toes of the main series, in spite of all their talk about it being a portable game incompatible with home consoles).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to add in my opinion to every thing I say, what kind of person does that? It's already implied.
The thing is people act like it's a fact and if you try to say otherwise you're labelled as an overly defensive fanboy, and it gets tiring. We see 2 minutes of gameplay for SWSH, a huge map of the region that shows potential non-linearity, an increase in the sense of scale, better graphics, and absolutely no idea of what gameplay innovations there will be yet, and all people can do is dump on the game. It's crazy to me.

IzzyRX