Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think that removing wild battles might be the best idea they've had in years.

Traveling was always a chore thanks to fighting nonsense battles with no real tension or challenge. It just amplified the level of attrition you have to deal with over the whole game. Constant 6v1 battles never served to make it more challenging in an interesting way. It just made it more of a grind with more item usage or center trips. Especially if you were just hunting a specific mon to catch.

If they actually adjust the game to have tougher trainer battles in order to balance the change, I think it would be a great direction.

I don't really have confidence they have thought it out that far, but I can hope...

I've never seen a worse opinion about a series. Thank god you don't work at GF and thank god 2019 is coming and for sure not abandoning a series basic.

I Love Persona games but removing the Persona battles would be great. just let me effortlessly catch demons. great idea.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Let's Go. You said that everything isn't for everyone in regards to Let's Go, when they clearly stated they want this to be for everyone.
Nothing is for everyone.

Let's Go is obviously for the new generation of Pokemon fans, mostly comprised of Pokemon Go fans. It's the reason they knew to say that the core RPG is also coming next year, even though they didn't have a single shred of information to speak about or show.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nothing is for everyone.

Let's Go is obviously for the new generation of Pokemon fans, mostly comprised of Pokemon Go fans. It's the reason they knew to say that the core RPG is also coming next year, even though they didn't have a single shred of information to speak about or show.
Why is the go-to assumption that these people are dumb?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I needed a break from Pokemon anyway. I hope the game next year will be a substantial evolution over the older games. Otherwise Pokemon might be dead for me for good.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
The defense force for this game is willing to outright pervert the narrative to discredit criticism at this point.

Yeah its a propaganda conspiracy. Im making fun of the idea of people expecting Game Freak to cater to hardcore Pokemon fans in this game, they dont even cater to us in the real games lol

They said "we are targeting casual and younger audience that dont usually play video games". Some of you guys are basically expecting the game to be something it clearly isn't, and are rationalizing anger or criticism based on some presumed promise to do these things which doesn't exist. Literally WrenchNinja said Game Freak is lying to people.

This game isnt meant for us. A lot of whats in the mainline games isnt even meant for us...These people made X and Y. Why is it crazy exactly that they think we would enjoy this casual thing for kids that dont even play games?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah its a propaganda conspiracy. Im making fun of the idea of people expecting Game Freak to cater to hardcore Pokemon fans in this game, they dont even cater to us in the real games lol

They said "we are targeting casual and younger audience that dont usually play video games". Some of you guys are basically expecting the game to be something it clearly isn't, and are rationalizing anger or criticism based on some presumed promise to do these things which don't exist. Literally WrenchNinja said Game Freak is lying to people.

This game isnt meant for us. A lot of whats in the mainline games isnt even meant for us...These people made X and Y. Why is it crazy exactly that they think we would enjoy this casual thing for kids that dont even play games?
Nobody is saying the game needs to cater to the hardcore. Literally nobody. We just don't want to be shunned outright while still being expected to purchase the game.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

They said "we are targeting casual and younger audience that dont usually play video games". Some of you guys are basically expecting the game to be something it clearly isn't, and are rationalizing anger or criticism based on some presumed promise to do these things which don't exist. Literally WrenchNinja said Game Freak is lying to people.

I'm not saying Gamefreak is apart of a conspiracy , but it being targeted to casuals and younger people kinda of makes no sense to me?

One, because why would the orginal 150 appeal to younger audiences, younger audiences are probably watching with not that , and maybe have played other games. And the older audience, I don't think a game that with a bunch of extra crap piled onto it would make them play this, I think a new version of fire read and leaf green would be enough. And if they are that casual, I don't see them leaving go for this .

Who is this game for? I'm not saying it needs to cater to the hardcore, I don't really care about that. I have been confused about this games messaging and its target demo from jump

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They said "we are targeting casual and younger audience that dont usually play video games". Some of you guys are basically expecting the game to be something it clearly isn't, and are rationalizing anger or criticism based on some presumed promise to do these things which doesn't exist. Literally WrenchNinja said Game Freak is lying to people.
What do you call saying one thing and saying something that contradicts that thing?

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Because difficulty or handholding isn't the only fucking problem. They reduced the mons back down to 150 for no fucking reason. No wild battles. Can't evolve original kanto mons that have new evos just because. Etc. They're just removing content for no reason at all and it's garbage. No other remake did this. Pokemon Go already has more than 150 so why is this one stuck like that? It's shit.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is saying the game needs to cater to the hardcore. Literally nobody. We just don't want to be shunned outright while still being expected to purchase the game.

You are mistaking things that aren't for your taste personally to be some sort of affront to you, or being shunned.

I am a hardcore Pokemon fan and I will enjoy this game and am looking forward to it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with you completely.

This is a design problem... nothing less, nothing more.

Yup.

I actually don't mind them experimenting with new systems and streamlined capture mechanics.

But if they think that's what drew people into go.... Ho boy are they wrong.

The game was successful because it was social, open, play it your way, and tied to a popular IP.

They got the IP part right. They're getting everything else WRONG. Pokemon go had basically ZERO tutorials and ZERO handholding.

It was show don't tell with intuitive design. Instead, they think casual players need restrictions.

To me it's unbelievable how many folks in game development get this completely wrong.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen a worse opinion about a series. Thank god you don't work at GF and thank god 2019 is coming and for sure not abandoning a series basic.

I Love Persona games but removing the Persona battles would be great. just let me effortlessly catch demons. great idea.

it would be more like fighting low level single shadows on the bottom floor of the big dungeon but forced into them via random encounters. Catching Pokemon, especially on routes was never a challenge and caves just warranted buying lots of repels. Since Persona doesn't use trainer battles and you're going to be fighting 99% standard shadows, that comparison doesn't really make sense.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
After handholding and Kanto pandering were already beginning to suffocate the 3DS games, they make a spin-off dressed up like a mainline game that cranks those aspects up to 11, with GO mechanics as icing on the cake, and they expect core fans to just trust them? Nah.

I'm giving them some benefit on the doubt right now because they seem to recognize that they've made something that core fans don't want, but trust is something they're going to have to re-earn.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The Treehouse showing looked abysmal. Even beyond no wild battles, it's much more simplified and hand-holdy than I originally thought, which is certainly an achievement for a Pokemon game of all things.

I mean, the game is aimed primarily at:

- Pokemon Go (a f2p phone game) players OR people who have never played Pokemon, who are willing to spend $360 on a Switch + the game to play it, but were unwilling to spend less on a 3DS and any number of Pokemon games to play those, because they were too complex.

I have no doubt that the game will sell well, mainly on the backs of people just wanting a new Switch game or some of the core players who want to give it a chance. But I feel the audience the game is actually aiming for is extremely tiny.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's the reason they knew to say that the core RPG is also coming next year, even though they didn't have a single shred of information to speak about or show.

Which also makes me wary. If, as they've already said, the 2019 game started design and development before Let's Go and in theory shouldn't be affected much by Let's Go design decisions why don't they show more of it, even if just a small glimpse? Why every reference they make to it reads like desperate preemptive damage control and pretty much fodder for the corporate apologists to try to shut down discussion about Let's Go? What guarantees do we have that one year and a half before release (enough to develop a whole new game from scratch) they're not already reworking and stripping whole chunks out of it due to the apparent success of Let's Go, the pre-order numbers and the "good" reception of holding Mew hostage behind a 50€ toy?

Oct 27, 2017
Except being focused towards a more casual audience and good game design aren't mutually exclusive. They could very well make a game that evolves the mechanics to make it more accessable without just watering down the gameplay.

Some of what they've presented is awesome, like visible wild pokemon, two player coop, and new capture mechanics. But then there's other aspects like reducing the number of trainer Pokemon, completely removing wild battles, and the experience point system for catching. Those all sound like a step back rather than forward. It's perfectly fair to criticise these drawbacks because they aren't even necessary to draw in new players.

This is a more fair point for sure.

Changes have been made that - lets call it "streamline" - the Pokémon experience to a certain level. Some of them already seem like really cool changes, some raise questions about depth and whatever. Again, I think that's fine and entirely reasonable to question. But lets be honest here, there are some (and again, this thread isn't an exception) who convey disappointment in such changes by just shouting about it because it doesn't meet their expectations, whatever those are, while showing absolutely zero attempt to understand who might benefit.

For context, my excitement for Pokémon Lets Go is twofold. I'm excited to play it because I'm a lapsed fan and a sucker for nostalgia, and it seems like a fun thing to toy around with to tickle my nostalgia for Red/Blue/Yellow. More than that though, I'm mostly excited because I have a child and step child who both really like Pokémon, and who will be 6 and 5 respectively by the time this comes out. This will be their first "proper" Pokémon experience, and I think that's really cool. As far as I can see, most of the changes in Lets Go from the "mainline" games are intended to directly serve that exact purpose. You're right to question how some of this stuff fits in with "good game design", but too many aren't doing enough to understand how and why these changes benefit the wider audience they're going for in this game.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Hey, I emphasize might because I don't really think they are willing to fully balance it out.

One of the biggest drawbacks in the entire series is how much of a cakewalk every single trainer battle turns out to be. Fighting 6v2 battles for dozens of hours is boring. Individual battles never become a challenge until the very end, or specific stuff like Flying battles.

I want to believe that if they are going to cut that core loop out, they plan to make it up somewhere else. Adjusting the challenge so that players spend more time in trainer battles makes the most sense. However, Game Freak never really develop according to logic so who knows...

OP
OP
Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Who is this game for? I'm not saying it needs to cater to the hardcore, I don't really care about that. I have been confused about this games messaging and its target demo from jump

I think they're fairly sure the regular Pokemon player will buy this as it's the first true Pokemon game on a new system.
+ They're aiming for the Pokemon Go Audience
+ They're aiming at people that used to play Pokemon 20 years ago and have some nostalgia for it.

It's actually quite a good broad aim I think and I can totally see how it would go down well in a board meeting Doesn't mean I have to like it. Games like this though I can understand what they're going for.
For example a game like that Command and Conquer mobile game EA showed off at E3 I'm absolutely clueless who they're aiming at.

Oct 26, 2017
People seem to think the restrictions on Pokemon in place for these titles were done to appeal to a certain crowd, but I'm not so certain.
I think that the decision to only include gen 1 Pokemon and Alolan forms was made first and foremost with workload and time constraints in mind for what should be a relatively small side title.
Appealing to any particular crowd is a secondary concern.

Is there anything in any of the released interviews that contradicts this?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nothing is for everyone.

Every Pokémon game is for everyone. Every generation of Pokémon creates new fans. So remind me why the kids introduced with Gen 7, a gen that's only a year and a half old, are being told they can't bring their Incineroar into this game.

DarthGoomba

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo of Europe sent me a huge questionnaire on the game yesterday that just looked like they are kinda worried about the reception of this. I don't understand why, but then again, I am still one of the people that is excited about it.

They had this bizarre question in which they made me read a whole ad to tell them if I liked it. seemed kinda weird, I mean, it's not like Nintendo never marketed a Pokemon game before.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

it would be more like fighting low level single shadows on the bottom floor of the big dungeon but forced into them via random encounters. Catching Pokemon, especially on routes was never a challenge and caves just warranted buying lots of repels. Since Persona doesn't use trainer battles and you're going to be fighting 99% standard shadows, that comparison doesn't really make sense.

As a long time Pokemon fan I'm not worried about not fighting wild pokemons. If they removed battles entirely I would be really pissed of.

But removing only the wild pokemon ones, and maintaining the rest of them seems like a smart decision. Lessens the grind.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing is for everyone.

Every Pokemon is for the new generation of Pokemon fans. This is because of Pokemon Go popularity and a brilliant idea of someone at Pokemon Go who don't understand that Pokemon Go popularity is because it's unique free social game and a twist of regular gaming with the idea of catching Pokemon in the real world. Pokemon Let's Go is just a regular Pokemon game with stripped features. great job Pokemon Co.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah i trust them.

Neither GF nor Pokemon CO have yet to sell me a game i didnt enjoy.

Besides, with how full of hate this forum is for these games, that just makes me more certain that i will like them, since most of the games i enjoy are hated by this forum.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please drop the "this game isn't for you" argument? It literally is a nonsensical statement, since Game Freak keeps trying to convince us we should buy this game anyway.

This pretty much, Masuda outright stated that they were trying to appeal to both party.

GF specifically said this is a core series.

Game Freak have said some nonsense statement in the past and them trying to fool everyone by claiming that Let's Go is a core series when it's so clearly a spin off.

Game Freak is trying to have their cake and eat it.

I honestly think that removing wild battles might be the best idea they've had in years.

Traveling was always a chore thanks to fighting nonsense battles with no real tension or challenge. It just amplified the level of attrition you have to deal with over the whole game. Constant 6v1 battles never served to make it more challenging in an interesting way. It just made it more of a grind with more item usage or center trips. Especially if you were just hunting a specific mon to catch.

When you say removing Wild battle are you referring to battling wild Pokémon or random wild encounter because there's a big different between the two.

Removing random wild encounter in favour of having them spawn on the field is actually not a that bad of an ideal but removing wild battle in favour of a mini game that's not only time consuming but is going to get old very fast is just downright dumb when wild battle is actually quicker to deal with.

Guys game freak said this game is for regular fans so i expect it to be super hardcore and difficult LMAO

Good one, that actually made me laugh.

I hope gen wunners are enjoying their Monkeys paw wish here too. Only Kanto, 151 Pokemon etc.

I don't think they are seeing this as a bad thing though, if anything this is their dream game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
As a long time Pokemon fan I'm not worried about not fighting wild pokemons. If they removed battles entirely I would be really pissed of.

But removing only the wild pokemon ones, and maintaining the rest of them seems like a smart decision. Lessens the grind.

I wasnt disagreeing. I cant stand jrpg grind and Persona 5 was an absolute chore to finish.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

How does it lessen the grind when they just changed the grind to having to do a minigame and catch Pokémon instead?

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Just want to chime in, because I see this point being made a lot and it really doesn't make any sense whatsoever: The real games already being announced does not absolve these games of all criticism. Stop saying this like it is reasonable in any way, people can, very, very rightly, dump on these games for what they've been presented to be. If you don't like it, tough, shouting down the negativity doesn't do anything for anyone besides get start pointless arguments over semantics. You don't need to defend Gamefreak and their decisions, shit happens, they're a company, they'll be fine.

Y'all like to pretend that these threads are bad because people aren't happy about the games, well guess what? It takes two to tango. If you can't discuss the games without down playing the things that are wrong with them whenever they're brought up, or without calling people babies for not being as excited as you are, that's 100% a "you" problem.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's no backlash in Japan at all.

Even here it's just a circlejerk in places like this forum. The reality is that most people are happy with the games and the trailer is quickly becoming the most viewed trailer ever from a core Pokémon game.

I need to see proof of this. I mean backlash is a strong word but I have seen misgiving and concerns in Japanese communities, they're just not as anal and annoying about it as some English ones.

"the dev said something so it must be true"
Well yes, the developers are who decide if a game is main series or not.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I thought the gen 4 games when i was a kid were excessive with the handholding, I don't know what I'd have made of some of the stuff in this one. this is baby's first Pokemon when the games were already easy enough for actual children

I'm not really sure who all the handholding is aimed at honestly. Minecraft is one of the most popular games with kids ever and that definitely didn't have handholding

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

If they actually adjust the game to have tougher trainer battles in order to balance the change, I think it would be a great direction.

I don't really have confidence they have thought it out that far, but I can hope...
Maybe but imo removing random encounters would be enough. I'm ok though if there's still plenty of trainer fighting and if trainers.

OP
OP
Mcjmetroid

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland

I'm concerned about the lack of Wild Battles and the Exp Share(Is this optional?)

I mean I'm not sure why they could have still had the Pokemon roaming around the overworld( Which I love) but Keep the wild battles. Instead of simplifying the game they have now created 2 completely different gameplay styles. One where you physically motion your controllers based on a ring on the screen and another where you cycle through menus for attacks without motion. I think this has made it more complicated and fans that are coming back to the series after so long are going to be confused by this.

I mean who doesn't already know you gotta weaken the Pokemon first and then throw your ball?

Pokemon Go fans accepted this because it was a free mobile game but as a full priced console/handheld game I believe people are gonna be weirded out by the changes.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Gamefreak is apart of a conspiracy , but it being targeted to casuals and younger people kinda of makes no sense to me?

One, because why would the orginal 150 appeal to younger audiences, younger audiences are probably watching with not that , and maybe have played other games. And the older audience, I don't think a game that with a bunch of extra crap piled onto it would make them play this, I think a new version of fire read and leaf green would be enough. And if they are that casual, I don't see them leaving go for this .

This game is for people who played Pokemon Go, like they said, and an even younger more casual audience than usual...they know the original 150. Ask Serebii. and .... this is a new version of Fire Red and Leaf Green, isnt it?

What do you call saying one thing and saying something that contradicts that thing?

Well first of all you are completely excluding the very obvious possibility of a misunderstanding, on your part? Where is the contradiction? You think that because you don't like things about the game that its no longer "for everyone"? These people thought you would enjoy X and Y and Sun and Moon too, why not this? Their intent has been stated, if you are expecting this to NOT cater to a younger, more casual audience, then you are outright ignoring what they are saying, they didnt lie to you, they told you what to expect.

Because difficulty or handholding isn't the only fucking problem. They reduced the mons back down to 150 for no fucking reason. No wild battles. Can't evolve original kanto mons that have new evos just because. Etc. They're just removing content for no reason at all and it's garbage. No other remake did this. Pokemon Go already has more than 150 so why is this one stuck like that? It's shit.

Sure, I mean, this is just getting into criticisms about video games, which is fine to have? Lots of pokemon games have lots of shit decisions. This one is for an even younger, more casual audience than usual. We don't really know how future Pokemon integration/interaction with other gens or potential expansions will work. I'm not saying you can't have criticisms, Im making fun of the idea that this is supposed to be a traditional title, or that them saying its for everyone means we should expect Game Freak to make us happy, they arent even good at that on a regular day. The idea that this is a defense force, that im perverting a narrative, or other nonsense, is bullshit. Some people want to ignore what they are saying or say they are lying instead of trying to make sense of it or using their eyes and looking at the games.

Like I said, I was put off personally at reveal. Im now looking forward to it and hoping its a fun diversion and that the 2019 games blow us away....hoping...

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree completely. Battling Pokemon before catching them, isn't great and just a waste of time. Either busy work trying to find the Pokemon you want, getting the health down, just throw Pokeballs until it works and finally grinding. The only part, which is exciting, is trying to getting the health down and properly accidentally killing the Pokemon.

Game Freak should look into making catching Pokemon more exciting, faster and still keep the tension. Maybe the Pokemon GO mechanic is too simple, but there are could be better and multiple ways in catching them. Some Pokemon you can just catch, some do you need to beat in a battles, others are just hard to find, some need a completely different mini-game to beat, etc. There may be a lot of say of different Pokemons, in the way you need to catch them.

The heart of the game is in the end catching and training them. Not almost beating them into giving up.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

and a mini game of Pokeball throw is a good idea instead of improving the system?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This game is for people who played Pokemon Go, like they said, and an even younger more casual audience than usual...they know the original 150. Ask Serebii. and .... this is a new version of Fire Red and Leaf Green, isnt it?
How Young

My cousin is 5 and plays pokemon on 3ds, and watches the anime

They want toddlers, they want to stream Pokemon directly into the womb? Pokemon already has the youth market

Also I mena, with out the waggle stuff and the go, stuff and the pokeball thing. Just a 3d version of Fire Red and Leaf Green

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
and a mini game of Pokeball throw is a good idea instead of improving the system?

if only because its entirely optional which and when you engage with, yeah. Its probably going to wear just as thin but this type of player agency is certainly something new here.

With this logic, battling trainers in routes are a waste of time because they aren't Gym leaders.

In a perfect world, trainers would pose some challenge, give good xp and money. Wild Pokemon have always been less appealing than even the mindlessly easy trainer fights. Going through 50 random encounters to get Pikachu to appear isnt exactly fun either.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid wild battles as much as possible when I play so, I still wanna try it out, but Im hopeful. Catching as its own little thing could be cool but yeah im worried about exp share and how not having wild battles affects the game as a whole.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You also get xp from trainer battles.
I know. My point was that they weren't removing any kind of grind, they just changed it to another kind.

Well first of all you are completely excluding the very obvious possibility of a misunderstanding, on your part? Where is the contradiction? You think that because you don't like things about the game that its no longer "for everyone"? These people thought you would enjoy X and Y and Sun and Moon too, why not this? Their intent has been stated, if you are expecting this to NOT cater to a younger, more casual audience, then you are outright ignoring what they are saying, they didnt lie to you, they told you what to expect.
I did enjoy X and Y and Sun and Moon. These games are doing something those games didn't do though. Something that hasn't been done since Gen 3.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
How Young

My cousin is 5 and plays pokemon on 3ds, and watches the anime

They want toddlers, they want to stream Pokemon directly into the womb? Pokemon already has the youth market

Also I mena, with out the waggle stuff and the go, stuff and the pokeball thing. Just a 3d version of Fire Red and Leaf Green

They want the idea of your child in your head to already be a Pokemon fan