• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Some angry fanboys seem to think that because they replaced wild battles with the Pokemon Go minigame that the rest of the game is going to be massively watered down despite the lack of any evidence to support that. I would assume that is what they mean by "Please trust us" to get the basics right.
There was a screen shot showing that you can"t fight brock unless you have grass pokemon. So, yeah, massively watered down.

They doubled down on the hand holdy bullshit from Sun/Moon.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why people are so upset. The game that they want is coming out next year. Everything isn't for everyone.
I think its because (aside from pokemon following you) these are changes nobody asked for. Pokemon is already one of the easiest and most begginer friendly series in gaming, this just takes it one step too far and aliented part of the fanbase.

Core game coming next year though, so it isnt a lot to worry about.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I trust you.
I don't understand people complaining when we already know a game for hardcore pokémon players will release in 2019 ?
Pokémon Let's Go is everything I've been waiting for like 10 years now. I'm tired of all those wild battles, I'm not anymore a Dragon Quest fan and I'm super excited for the Final Fantasy future as an action RPG. Classic JRPG are not for me anymore, so Let's Go is for me, and Game Freaks got y'all covered with gen 8 next gen. Please, stop the hate about this game. Let's just pretend it's a spin off if you want, that's not gen 8, that's Let's Go. That's it.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's already so much info about this game that I know two things for certain 1) I don't trust them 2) it'll make a lot of revenue.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What stands out to me the most about this is that they're at least somewhat self-aware. This "please trust us" nonsense implies that THEY KNOW that they're making a lot of choices that are frustrating their hardcore fanbase, but instead doing anything to correct this or giving players choices as to how they go about playing this game, they just don't give a fuck and doubled down on watering the games down as much as possible because they're desperate for that PoGo money.

It really does not bode well at all for the 2019 game.

Oct 25, 2017
These games are totally gonna blend it's way in some form to gen 8 isn't it. Knowing game Freak it won't be the good stuff

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Doubling down after receiving a warning
Lazy dev rhetorics ... I love these mods ...

Yup. I've been warned for calling this a lazy remake, which I stand by what I said. Calling a remake "lazy" doesn't mean devs are lazy. Just that the direction of the title is uninspired. They kept the same freaking level design and scale of a Gameboy game. They heavily reused Pokémon Go Assets. Sorry, it's a lazy remake.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Why do people keep claiming the devs are lying in an attempt to defend this game?

"They said that but they don't mean it" is already the weakest attack you can make, but as a defence it's baffling.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I trust you that you'll make the 2019 game even easier since that's literally the only way this game will work as a stepping stone title, so no, I won't trust you

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they had to go all in with making Brock a joke so that nobody who picks pikachu would struggle is hilarious.

Pikachu gets double kick now AND you need a grass/water type just to enter the gym.

Well, they probably want to avoid ill-prepares players from going head first to Brock just to be completely owned. You can still choose not to use double kick or use your grass/water Pokémon. I'm personally cool with changes like that.

I'm curious on what they will do with the more end-game stuff. What changes are they going to do to help the starter Pokémon stay useful throughout the game and the Metagame? What are they going to do with Pokémon with evolvutions outside of 151? GF has a lot to think about.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
When I was young, my mother told me "never trust a Stunfiskless Pokémon game". I've followed that advice to this day and it has never steered me wrong.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Such a shame they have to say this just because some people can't understand this is a little something for a different demographic, the 2019 game will still be what the mainline series has always been. I remember there was this poster who had a heavy and laughable persecution complex when Let's Go was first announced, fearing that's what the main titles will be like from now on. I wonder how they're feeling now after everything we've been told regarding the 2019 title, there was no reason at all to be worried.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So, when they see that the dumbing down and extra handholding is still not bringing the kids (that are busy playing complex open world games like Minecraft, or mechanically complicated stuff like Fortnite) into the series, what would be the next step due to misreading once again their potential audience? Gifting the player a Pokémon that can 0HKO everything inside a gym? On rails exploration? A game that plays itself with a literal "press A to win" so now little kids that can't even read can beat it too without help?

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I think your hyperbole is some of the most embarrassing I've ever seen from a gamer, equally quite a feat.

I'm not questioning your age, I'm questioning your mindset. In a world of GamerGate, THIS is the most embarrassing thing you've ever seen from gamers? Is this a joke?

I'm guessing you're really young, and weren't around for the Bayonetta 2 announcement. This is the internet, my dude, people tend to overly express themselves.

Dat self awareness

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this game supposed to be a stepping stone for people, who played Pokemon Go? It even has "Go" in the name. While at the same time they already promise a normal sequel for 2019?
I am confused, why people are angry about this game, which clearly is targeted at a non-hardcore target group.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
"And because of that we really wanted to expand on that kind of idea of what a Pokémon RPG could be, something that's broader, for everyone, and that's why we work on these games."

You keep cleverly ignoring every instance where they specify that this is also for a new, younger audience, that enjoyed Pokemon Go, though?

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
This game is the bedrock for the next versions and I trust then because they kept a change from Sun and Moon and added a change I've wanted for a while.
  • No HMs
  • No random encounters
These are the two changes that I wanted and they've both come to fruition. No more HM slaves and a lived-in world are awesome additions. All they need to do is add battles to the wild Pokémon encounters and it will feel complete. Though, I'd like for them to keep the circle telling you the difficulty of the catch and a bonus with good timing of throws since Pokémon catching is literally an algorithm anyway.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not questioning your age, I'm questioning your mindset. In a world of GamerGate, THIS is the most embarrassing thing you've ever seen from gamers? Is this a joke?

I never had to interact with those people so it wasn't something being compared. The forums basically devolved into schoolyard level for a few days, and theres still remnants of it every time these games are mentioned as though they somehow took away their Pokemon games. It was bad enough that I had an anxiety attack and requested my account closed but the mods were pretty level headed.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Everything that they've shown tells me not to trust them.

Mew hidden behind a $50 hunk of plastic.
Ugly as hell character designs.
Forced to use shitty gyro/waggle to catch Pokemon.
Turning one of the few good rivals on the series into a lame "friend".
Making an even more simplified game when the series is already insanely simple if you aren't some hardcore competive player. So simple my niece got halfway through moon and quit because it was too easy when she was only 8 years old. Kids aren't that dumb, they are playing a fuck ton of fortnite and Minecraft which are way more complicated than the last few Pokemon games, this dumbing down just seems targeted at middle aged Pokemon go players who haven't played a non phone game in 15 years I guess?

For people who are excited good for you, I hope you enjoy it. I just expect let's go and the 2019 to be shit since x/y and sun/moon were the worst flagship games in the history of the series. Sad as hell to follow up the brilliant white/black and white/black2 games with this slop.

I'm probably just going to be playing shitty fan games for my Pokemon fix going forward and that's sad.

doragon

Oct 27, 2017
What they're doing makes perfect sense. Draw in the GO players who have had no interest in the RPGs by giving them GO plus actual good gameplay and a story and a nice hit of nostalgia. And when next year rolls around they dive into Pokemon proper.

I'm not so sure about that.

We'll see exactly how right they were about it when we see the performance of the game. But from the beginning, it sounds like siren calls to me.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I never had to interact with those people so it wasn't something being compared. The forums basically devolved into schoolyard level for a few days, and theres still remnants of it every time these games are mentioned as though they somehow took away their Pokemon games.
I think this is a misconception, at least from my perspective. Nobody (or almost nobody) cares about having to attempt to bring in Go players into the mainline games. People are disappointed by the method. Rather than bring inclusive, Game Freak is being outright exclusionary towards long time fans, a first for them. Why should people be okay with that? "Its not for me" is bullshit, since they want you to buy it, too.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Such a shame they have to say this just because some people can't understand this is a little something for a different demographic, the 2019 game will still be what the mainline series has always been. I remember there was this poster who had a heavy and laughable persecution complex when Let's Go was first announced, fearing that's what the main titles will be like from now on. I wonder how they're feeling now after everything we've been told regarding the 2019 title, there was no reason at all to be worried.
You act like the 2019 game is guarenteed to be free of the bullshit that ruined this one, when there's zero proof of that.

If anything, next year's game will be even more likely to be loaded with shitty tutorials and handholding, because they'll want to cater to the people who apparently needed it in Let's Go.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just like you keep ignoring that this is for everyone.

you can make the inference from the way it was marketed. It could be even more changed or simplistic and they still wont call it a spinoff for obvious reasons.

I think this is a misconception, at least from my perspective. Nobody (or almost nobody) cares about having to attempt to bring in Go players into the mainline games. People are disappointed by the method. Rather than bring inclusive, Game Freak is being outright exclusionary towards long time fans, a first for them. Why should people be okay with that? "Its not for me" is bullshit, since they want you to buy it, too.

You can make that choice for yourself as someone with disposable income. The problem is how people seem to want to tell everyone else to not support it because it will somehow poison the untainted mainline games.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Golbat doesn't trust me, so I'm not in a super trusting mood these days. Just bring over the good ideas from this game and build on Sun/Moon with a bigger world.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
That's likely just the first tutorial gym and they take the training wheels off after that

Getting your ass handed on the first gym and consequently getting a good grasp of what did "super effective" and "not very effective" meant WAS the tutorial itself. Then it was up to player to decide if they wanted to power level, go back to Viridian Forest to see if they could find something useful (Buterfree for example) or explore a little further back and get a Mankey or Nidoran on the route west of Viridian City. Good game design encourages you to find a good solution to a roadblock, not literally telling you what to do for 100% frustration-free success

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Some angry fanboys seem to think that because they replaced wild battles with the Pokemon Go minigame that the rest of the game is going to be massively watered down despite the lack of any evidence to support that. I would assume that is what they mean by "Please trust us" to get the basics right.

"assume"
unknown.png

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, they're saying please trust us to the hardcore fans because they want us to buy the game too, so saying that they're just trying to go for a new demo really isn't super valid anymore.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am so damn pissed, Nintendo. All of this Gen 1 pandering is getting on my nerves and you expect us to just trust you???

Every single Mario game, every single fucking Mario game, I have to see Goombas, Bullet Bills, Koopas, Bowser, Lakitu, and Boos! UGHHHHHH. Where is the creativity? Why must every game pander to fans of Mario 1????

I'm done, Nintendo. Cancel this game or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Among those who have tried the game, some may feel that it has changed."

Drastic change.

we have been continuously changing the formula of the games since our inception, and in the end the players have accepted those changes.

Accepted or players have really no choice?

"We will not go wrong with the basics, so please, trust us."

But you did.

"we want this to be the game that people go to play after Pokémon GO"

But Pokemon Go abandoned the basics.

In Pokemon GO, you can take with you an associated Pokémon and walk with it, but if we return to its origin, we get to Yellow Pokémon. In Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! We wanted to expand this feature even more. Pikachu always follows Ash in the anime, while Eevee has become very popular because it can evolve in many different ways. And as I mentioned before , we want this to be the game that people go to play after Pokémon GO, since Pokémon Pokémon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow appear in Pokémon GO, so it seemed like a good decision. Based on these things, we decided that Yellow Pokémon would be the perfect choice.

Hmmmmmm

Oct 25, 2017
Getting your ass handed on the first gym and consequently getting a good grasp of what did "super effective" and "not very effective" meant WAS the tutorial itself.
Yea we were all kids getting trashed by Brock the hard way. That was the point of Brock I thought. He was the tutorial. I liked to think kids have gotten smarter as time went by. I know the ones I've met have

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm all for this experimentation. My fiance really enjoyed Pokemon Go for months before she got bored with it, and with the revamps and this stepping stone game, I hope she can enjoy the combination.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
That's likely just the first tutorial gym and they take the training wheels off after that

We don't know that. Regardless, it's still some super hand holdy and watered down shit compared to the original.

Getting your ass handed on the first gym and consequently getting a good grasp of what did "super effective" and "not very effective" meant WAS the tutorial itself.
And this.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
To put it bluntly, it's two problems I see keeping me from enjoying this:

1.) The game is outright missing evolutions. I absolutely fucking loathe this. Its 2018. Onix has evolved into Steelix, Scyther has evolved into Scizor, and Golbat has evolved into Crobat since 1999.

This! I've been saying this for weeks. Especially since whenever someone points out that there is only 151, I say that isn't true since there is a brand new Pokémon in this game. They've already set the standard, so why not finish evolution chains to give players more options and they add more of the newer types like steel that were under-represented, which is also why they are adding Alolan types because of the dark, ice, steel, and fairy additions. Also the extra dragon in Alolan Exeggcutor.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lazy dev rhetorics ... I love these mods ...
Me too. Already talked with shinobi about some related warning like 'low effort post', but I keep seeing some reseller/verafied posting much worse. This pokemon game have the most lack of feactures I ever see in my life.