• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 90-94

Votes: 48 7.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 203 29.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 266 39.1%
  • 75-79

Votes: 107 15.7%
  • 70-74

Votes: 27 4.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 23 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
As usual the Nintendolife review text doesn't match the score. Sounds like a pretty postcard of a model village. I'll wait for the updated game in 18 month and hopefully they've filled in the gaps (and no I'm not on about the Pokédex, over 700 Pokémon is intimedating for a casual player like me)

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
1518260505674.png

At least I still have SMT.
And it will release aaany day now.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Anyway, what it seems like in the end is that the games simply did not get the development time they needed to achieve everything they set out to, and there are cutbacks and compromises all around as a result. They have still turned out fine, due to the core Pokemon formula being strong, and an inspired decision in the Wild Area, but Game Freak is working on thin ice here, and probably needs to severely rethink its approach - and the time it takes - on future games.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
After skimming over a bunch of reviews, it seems they mostly agree the game is flawed but still very fun, which is what I'm looking for. People who were expecting more scale will be disappointed, people who expected more of the same will be pleased.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
IGN: "Raids are categorized with a one- to five-star difficulty rating (or more – five is the highest I've seen so far), and those four- and five-star Max Raid Battles can be genuinely challenging."

Eurogamer: "Dynamax raids themselves, a headline feature, pop up perpetually at "dens" all over the Wild Area, and are disappointingly simple. You tackle them 4v1 - with online friends or NPCs - but the battles themselves, after the initial awe, are underwhelming and really of little to no consequence. Lay the beat down on whatever giant baby's thrown out - a Bonsly or a Whooper, say - and in a couple of hits it's over."

Not sure who to believe here, but I hope IGN's take is more accurate as the co-op raids sounded like the most interesting part of the game to me.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Pokémon is the only franchise that can consistently drop major features, cut content, and do nothing to grow and evolve and still end up reviewing well.
On the other end I always felt like the better games in the series like B/W never received their due plaudits either. It always seemed like Pokemon games were largely treated like sports games by reviewers where they're not quite invested enough in the culture to feel confident in publishing a strong opinion.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Are you referring to the game? You no longer have to fight 50 zubats to get through a cave with a birds eye view as you navigate tiny areas. That's huge, you now roam expansive areas visually looking for who you want to capture. I think that's going to provide a more immersive experience.
Overworld Pokemon is nobody's problem with these games.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
On the other end I always felt like the better games in the series like B/W never received their due plaudits either. It always felt like Pokemon games were largely treated like sports games by reviewers where they're not quite invested enough in the culture to feel confident in publishing a strong opinion.
I think this is pretty accurate. There are outlying reviews on occasion, but the sports game treatment is apt.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
GameXplain - "The game is too streamlined for its own good".

I think if there's one thing Pokemon fans DON'T want, it's for things to be even more streamlined.

That comment and the Eurogamer comment on no dungeons really makes me worried about this being the easiest Pokemon game ever.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Streamlined version of the same game we've had for years isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Maybe next gen.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly lower than most Pokemon games, on average, was always going to be the case here. For people playing it casually, going through the main story, it's the same as any other Pokemon, just with less polish.

If you're playing games as an enthusiast for that particular genre, you can never really trust mainstream outlets. It's like for strategy games or fighting games or what have you - a vast majority just aren't capable of analyzing the minutiae.

Oct 25, 2017
The reviews that I've skimmed over basically amount to:

It's still Pokemon. Thanks for that, I guess. Good to know GF isn't capable of botching a tried and true formula completely.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
i'll mirror what I said in the leaks thread, it seems like if one never played a Pokemon game it's fine, long time fans not so much maybe?

like the cut pokemon for example mean nothing to me because I never played the games, nor would I ever capture the 400 or whatever it is the game has, let alone 900.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
' In fact, Pokémon Sword and Shield is entirely dungeonless. There is no route or cave or building or wood more complex than Red, Blue and Yellow's Viridian Forest, the tutorial pseudo-dungeon at the start of generation one. Nothing in the game comes close to even Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel, let alone the twelve floors of warp-pad mayhem in Silph Co. '
Sigh.

Honestly I found those parts in previous games tedious. I never found there to be much puzzle to those parts and it ended up feeling like wading through busywork.