• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Trying to get a friend a Suicune tonight before they rotate out. Hopefully people will still be raiding it.

Trying to learn about breakpoints. Shit is confusing.

Edit: seems most breakpoints are at lvl 30 and below. Is that correct?
What do you mean by breakpoints? I know those 30 and above see the same IV and CP Pokemon in the wild, if that's what you're referring to.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by breakpoints? I know those 30 and above see the same IV and CP Pokemon in the wild, if that's what you're referring to.
Breakpoints for raid bosses. Quick/special attacks will do one more damage if the Pokemon in question (calculated with IVs) hit a certain level. Useful if you want to maximize damage ball rewards as efficiently as possible.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Breakpoints for raid bosses. Quick/special attacks will do one more damage if the Pokemon in question (calculated with IVs) hit a certain level. Useful if you want to maximize damage ball rewards as efficiently as possible.
Gotcha.

I'm not surprised those edges exist. I just try to make my useful pokemon as powerful as possible so as to not need to know the science.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day none of that really matters unless you're trying to do something insane like 2-man a Tyranitar or solo a 3-star raid. I wouldn't worry about breakpoints if all you're after is normal raids. Those will get steamrolled most of the time anyway.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day none of that really matters unless you're trying to do something insane like 2-man a Tyranitar or solo a 3-star raid. I wouldn't worry about breakpoints if all you're after is normal raids. Those will get steamrolled most of the time anyway.
Funny story, that's actually a long term goal of myself and a friend of mine. I don't have the 'Champs needed yet, but I'm slowly working on them.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they eventually up the level cap or something. I'm only lv 38, but since I already can have maxed out lv 40 Pokemon, there is literally no advantage / point in trying to level up.

If they do increase the level cap, I kinda hope they something like you need X XP but also need to do others things to to make getting to 41, 42, etc more interesting.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point in raising the level cap unless they're going to decrease the XP required to level up, or do something to allow high level players to get more XP. I've been playing since launch and am still at 35......I don't expect to see 40 until at least next summer.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I would imagine the easiest thing is keep level xp needed at 5 million or so each time. Then add something extra so you can't just grind pidgeys.

I prob won't be lv 40 till next summer as well, heh.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
If you raid with spoofers or live in a big city, maybe. Even against Ho-Oh on the first day, I know people were in groups of six during working hours who failed to beat Solar Beam within the time.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you raid with spoofers or live in a big city, maybe. Even against Ho-Oh on the first day, I know people were in groups of six during working hours who failed to beat Solar Beam within the time.
It's probably less effort to just find a couple extra people than it is to get every raider in the group to push an entire team of Pokemon past their breakpoint.....especially since most breakpoints are above 30.

I recognize that it's maybe slim pickin's outside of urban areas though.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to downplay legit strategies to get an edge. The worst feeling is going to a raid and fail because your combined Pokemon are too shitty to take the boss down. Too many times I've seen people letting the auto selecter decide which Pokemon to bring (Lugia and Gyarados are popular choices), which is what ultimately decided everyone losing. Then either the timer ran out or people had to leave because not everyone has the time to stand in one place for half an hour.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Stop trying to downplay legit strategies to get an edge. The worst feeling is going to a raid and fail because your combined Pokemon are too shitty to take the boss down. Too many times I've seen people letting the auto selecter decide which Pokemon to bring (Lugia and Gyarados are popular choices), which is what ultimately decided everyone losing. Then either the timer ran out or people had to leave because not everyone has the time to stand in one place for half an hour.
That does actively piss me off, when people just let the autoselector do its thing. It's almost always wrong. However, helps me get a bigger damage bonus in big groups so it's not all bad.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they eventually up the level cap or something. I'm only lv 38, but since I already can have maxed out lv 40 Pokemon, there is literally no advantage / point in trying to level up.

If they do increase the level cap, I kinda hope they something like you need X XP but also need to do others things to to make getting to 41, 42, etc more interesting.

When Ingress raised its cap they made levels a combination of exp and medals. They would probably need to add platinum tier to the achievement medals.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Solo 3-star raid is life. My biggest motivation to play this game

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Solo 3-star raid is life. My biggest motivation to play this game

I was soloing a Machamp yesterday which I've done before, I would go through my first six, plenty of time left and without fail the game would crash when trying to go back in. I tried three times. So I pumped a bunch of rare candy into Lugia, powered it up to its breakpoint at 31.5 and brought 3 of my Alakazams up to their break point(34.5) just to avoid the crash #tier3sololife

A nice breakpoint list.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6r4tee/info_various_raid_counters_damage_breakpoints/

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got a 93% Ho-oh today, 4/4. Going hard tmw to make up as much ground as I can to hit 40. 2.5 mil to go!

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Ho-Oh and Suicune have been by far the highest catch percentage for me. Caught nearly every one of each and Suicune often with only a couple of premier balls. Moltres and Zapdos were my least lucky but I still got a few of each.

Desperate for Mewtwo now because of the space all these Rare Candies are taking up in my bag. I've been forced to discard potions or pokeballs constantly because my bag is at capacity. Very annoying.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Ho-Oh and Suicune have been by far the highest catch percentage for me. Caught nearly every one of each and Suicune often with only a couple of premier balls. Moltres and Zapdos were my least lucky but I still got a few of each.

Desperate for Mewtwo now because of the space all these Rare Candies are taking up in my bag. I've been forced to discard potions or pokeballs constantly because my bag is at capacity. Very annoying.
Are you me? Getting tired of having to horde rare candies.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
A 67% IV Non Shiny Sableye from a 10k egg.. What a waste of an Incubator and 50 coins. WTH Niantic.

And the second one an equally crappy Miltank.

Last edited:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Espeon/Umbreon evolving trick not work anymore or is is bugged? I had a 100% Eevee, I walked it 10km as my buddy, and then evolved it during the daytime yet it turned into a Jolteon instead of Espeon. Wtf?

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Caught a decent Ho-oh, up to 248 caught. Still missing Mewtwo, but yeah whatever, maybe it'll happen one day, maybe not.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Espeon/Umbreon evolving trick not work anymore or is is bugged? I had a 100% Eevee, I walked it 10km as my buddy, and then evolved it during the daytime yet it turned into a Jolteon instead of Espeon. Wtf?
Was it still your buddy when you evolved?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just did the trick less than a week ago so it was working then. Maybe the update broke it.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just did the trick less than a week ago so it was working then. Maybe the update broke it.

There have always been stories on the silph road Reddit of the evolve trick being wonky during events but it was usually related to shorter candy walking distance. I've seen people mention to make sure you have a strong internet connection while doing it. Some say to walk beyond 10k.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
A friend literally just got a push notification for the catch event. A little late there?

4th Ho-Oh was the charm. The CP is about as low as possible.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Map changed. All houses where I live disappeared. One road that is supposed to be a threeway is now cut off in one direction. I can see a few more roads now, but otherwise this is such a downgrade.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well it happened, I ran out of pokeballs lol, fucking hell now I'll have to farm some, I'd hate to run into a rare Pokémon while having barely any pokeballs. Also 3/3 on Ho-Oh :D

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Did my first two Ho-Oh today, and I caught both of them. Lugia was absolute hell for me in comparison, so this good luck is welcomed.

The second Ho-Oh raid was wild. I was down to my last ball and didn't think I would get it, but the throw turned into a critical capture! One has Fire Blast and the other has Brave Bird. I'll certainly hold off on powering up the second Ho-Oh, but I do think that Extrasensory/Brave Bird Ho-Oh would be very good against Machamp at least.

I have 89% and 86% rating for them, so I also got lucky with stats. I'm officially done with legendary Raids.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, what the fucking fuck. Seriously. ELEVEN legendary raids in a row, no catches. I missed Entei entirely over it (0 for 10), and now I just threw 9 curveballs at Ho-Oh, all Nice, Great, or Excellent - and still no catch. What the fuck? Is my account just cursed or what?

At first it was like oh wow bad luck haha but now I'm ready to go burn Niantic down over this shit LOL

Somebody hold me...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, what the fucking fuck. Seriously. ELEVEN legendary raids in a row, no catches. I missed Entei entirely over it (0 for 10), and now I just threw 9 curveballs at Ho-Oh, all Nice, Great, or Excellent - and still no catch. What the fuck? Is my account just cursed or what?
I tend to be of the opinion that Niantic made the Legendary creatures harder to catch so they could sell more Raid Passes. The first set of birds were pretty easy but once we got to dogs suddenly it became a slog.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017

At first it was like oh wow bad luck haha but now I'm ready to go burn Niantic down over this shit LOL

Somebody hold me...
You have to let go of all desire to catch them. That's when you'll catch them.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
I tend to be of the opinion that Niantic made the Legendary creatures harder to catch so they could sell more Raid Passes. The first set of birds were pretty easy but once we got to dogs suddenly it became a slog.
LOL you crazy. Most people I've heard from say the birds were way harder than the beast and ho-oh and I 100% agree.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe john is only getting 6-7 balls to catch each time, because he's on a underrepresented team. I'm on Instinct, and it can be hard at times. I generally had an easier time with Gen 2 Legendaries. Suicune gave me trouble, but I had high quality on them. I'll never power it up, regardless.

This is my legendary tally:
Articuno: 1/6
Moltres: 2/3
Zapdos: 2/6
Mewtwo: 1/2
Lugia: 2/8
Raikou: 4/5
Entei: 6/10
Suicune: 2/6
Ho-Oh: 2/2

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Birds were harder because then not many people were used to throwing curveballs properly and timing their throws and stuff, now people know better and go for their curveballs with either great or excellent throws. I've been getting good results and would recommend everyone to look for videos that explain how to throw balls when catching a raid boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.