Want a new Pokémon game now or later?

• Now

Votes: 196 42.1%
  • Later

Votes: 270 57.9%

• Total voters

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I want gen 4 remakes. I was really not a fan of D/P at launch. They felt incomplete. However, if the remakes focus on all the fixes that Platinum put in place, I would be soooo down!

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want them to take whatever time is needed to do Gen 4 justice. Realistically, they will manage to fuck something up.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
but BW2 completely shits on HGSS and came out after them 🤷‍♂️
Only one I didn't try because I didn't want to reward them with more money after how B/W was bad. Same with US/UM - why reward their trash model by buying the game twice? Other "sequel" games felt additive where BW2 and USUM seemed restorative or "oop sorry for the beta, here's the "definitive" versions...

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only one I didn't try because I didn't want to reward them with more money after how B/W was bad. Same with US/UM - why reward their trash model by buying the game twice? Other "sequel" games felt additive where BW2 and USUM seemed restorative or "oop sorry for the beta, here's the "definitive" versions...
BW2 is an actual sequel though. Nothing like USUM or any other third version.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but on the condition that they put way more dev time and care into it. So...actually, no. Because they won't.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Absolutely not. The lack of care that went into Sw/Sh's release made it so I don't want any more Pokemon titles from Game Freak until they get things in order and release a game whose quality is deserving of the console it's on. Not that I expect them to not crap out something to match anime/merch deadlines, but I can still hope...

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No not anymore. I can only imagine how they'd butcher Mt.Coronet. I'll wait for a new engine, or if they get help from others devs, I don't want to keep battling 4 ft tall Dialga and Palkia. Been doing that since 2013.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but on the condition that they put way more dev time and care into it. So...actually, no. Because they won't.
This.

I expect less if Gamefreak went this route. Let alone I expect less then the content in the original games if they go 1:1 remake.

With Gamefreak now I just expect less then what they accomplished before. They are like that teen who's parents don't expect anything from them because they became a disappointment.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Nope, Sinnoh maps were complex, especially around the mountains, current GF will destroy it with their terrible routes designs, straight line path full of nothing.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More dev time for Gen 9 please. I want a Sinnoh remake but I also want the next generation to be the best it can be.

I wish TPCi would put another studio in charge of side main games but I guess a new studio would completely highlight Game Freak's flaws.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they can somehow return to form circa B/W/2, then I'd be all for a Gen 4 remake or a new gen altogether. At this point though I'm absolutely done with mainline pokemon games, Gamefreak has handled everything from X/Y onward very poorly.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Gen IV, but I honestly don't feel like Game Freak can recapture the essence of what DPPt so amazing in the first place.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I don't think S&S are very good Pokemon games[like 5-6/10 mainly because of the wild area], but I did enjoy the ruby and sapphire remakes so if they do that again I'll be happy.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm playing through Pokémon white right now and I truly think the DS games are far and away more charming and aesthetically beautiful than the 3D games.

I don't want another half assed boring 3D game, I didn't like sword and ORAS is worse than emerald,
I think ultra sun and moon were ok but Game freak needs time to figure this shit out.

Persona 5 was basically a PS3 game and it probably has a tiny budget compared to Pokémon and the care and attention between P5 and SWSH is day and night, I'd be embarrassed to be Gamefreak.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
not at all

after sw/sh and oras i'm certain they'll fuck it up

my ds ain't going anywhere

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sw/Sh is the least I've ever enjoyed a mainline Pokemon game and D/P/Pl were among my favorites. I'd honestly rather that Gen 4 remakes come at a time when Game Freak can make faithful remakes that don't bring down the experience for me.

Jun 5, 2018
What I want from Pokemon isn't simple, I want the next advancement like botw was for Zelda, not to say I want everything we have completely undone or an open world experience mind you.

Sword and shield were more of the same in my eyes so I didn't gel with them a remake at least has nostalgia going for it though with gen 4 being what it is I don't think it would be as good as the original.

Tldr if I can't have my ideal Pokemon game I'd rather have a remake than a new gen with the same problems.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
What a flawed OP

There's no « national pokedex » fiasco outside of the bubble of some gamers and the vast majority of people owning the games seem to be prety satisfied

As much as « dexiters » wanted the game to fail in order to be vindicated, they've been proven to be nothing more than a vocal nuisance.

So yes, my gf and I would welcome a new game or a remake with eagerness.

That type of attitude is exactly why GF can get away with the type of sub par, rushed effort we got with SW/SH.

Wanting staples that the very series is based upon, graphics that look fitting for a AAA title, and sizeable content matching previous generations isn't whining and people asking for those things aren't a 'nuisance'. It's just expecting the quality product you're paying for (And more than we have ever had to in the past, at that) and that we know they're capable of making given the time and effort.

Hand waving valid concerns and constantly giving them a pass will actually just hurt the series in the long run. Just shutting up, smiling and buying whatever they put out, in whatever state, just tells GF and Nintendo that you'll buy the product, regardless of the quality. And that's when you'll really start to see a dip in quality/effort/content and it won't the fault of the people up that tried to bring these issues up earlier.

As far as OP'S question goes, I'd only want these remakes now if they learned a lot from the criticisms they got with SW/SH. If it's going to suffer from similar issues, I'd rather just stick with the originals for now.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I could use a really long break from the Pokemon franchise after the last few games. I legitimately love a lot of the creature designs but the games have been subpar. I get that they are aimed for younger audiences but so is Mario and they still create amazing games with him. Like I know it will never happen but give me 3 years without a new game and see how I feel about it. Kinda how I feel about star wars too. I am fatigued.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I want them to modify and port Platinum as a single screen experience. And obviously speed things up and make it compatible with Home. Rather than make contentious remakes there ought to be a way for all generations to be playable on Switch and also be preserved as they were.

If they make a port, then maybe they can take the story of DPP and interpret it in a fresh way in a remake instead of being faithful.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I could use a really long break from the Pokemon franchise after the last few games. I legitimately love a lot of the creature designs but the games have been subpar. I get that they are aimed for younger audiences but so is Mario and they still create amazing games with him. Like I know it will never happen but give me 3 years without a new game and see how I feel about it. Kinda how I feel about star wars too. I am fatigued.
Mario isn't aimed at a younger audience. It's aimed at everyone

Oct 25, 2017
IMO, they simply aren't capable of making a remake worthy of Platinum. Creating caves/mountains/branching paths, etc. in 2D is one thing, but they have not demonstrated the ability to do that in a 3D space. No area in SwSh or any of the 3D Pokemon games is as complex as any of the dungeons in the series from Gen 5 and earlier. Except the remade areas in Let's Go P/E, but that game had so many other issues as well.

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what gets me in most of the remakes? They're too frequently 1:1 recreations of the original but with better graphics/mechanics plus new content. I wanna see remakes break free of their original's hardware/data limitations, not the exact same buildings and topology! Especially bad in LGPE with how bland Kanto is.

Modern day D/P remake -> "The Battle Zone project has started!"

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Absolutely not. Sword/Shield was the first set of Pokemon games that I actually sat down afterwards and thought, "...Did I enjoy any of that?" To which the answer is yes, I enjoyed the Pokemon designs! The rest of the game... Not so much.

I don't want them to make Gen 4 remakes after that. Frankly, I don't want Gen 4 remakes at all at this point. I just want Gen X, Gen X DLC, 2-3 years with no release, Gen Y, Gen Y DLC, so forth and so on. I know that won't happen, but... I'd like to see the games given more time.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
SW/SH wasn't a bad game at all but it is really underwhelming considering the popularity of the brand and for how long it has been going on. People are getting tired of it, doesn't have to appear in sales right now but it can affect the brand on the long term.

I think they kinda want to listen to fans again (pokemon snap, pokemon follows you in the DLC of SW/SH) and i think that's why they are hiring again for the sequel or gen 4 remakes.

Gen 4 could be a really big deal so i really hope they don't fk it up.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Hell no - and for two reasons:
  • Pokemon's like Paper Mario at this point where even a 7/10 game would be a pleasant surprise.
  • Just like Paper Mario, the series' current design philosophy is fundamentally opposed to what made the old games so good (decent challenge, exploration). Gen 4 is a particular sore spot is its defining strength (its exploration) is what Gamefreak is so intent in purging the series of, if the hallway simulators of Gens 7 and 8 are any indication.
Can Gamefreak pull something off like modern Fire Emblem and Three Houses and make something genuinely incredible out of the new formula? It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath - and I'm not going to risk the Gen 4 remakes for it.

Last edited:

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
Will it really cleanse your palate if it will be just as disappointing?
I was already very disappointed with ORAS even though that had many very promising features.
But then it fell short in so many other areas.
You could look at HGSS and say it's the definitve Johto experience, but you can't say the same about ORAS.

Eh, gen 4 is already my least favorite generation, so I can't imagine I'll be that disappointed. I also really like all of the remakes so far (although I will admit ORAS is weaker than both HGSS and FRLG).

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Haven't played Sword/Shield yet, but it looks pretty great, so remaking my favorite generation in the same spirit sounds good to me

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure what the poll has to do with the thread title
i'm all for a gen 4 remake as the next mainline games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through Pokémon white right now and I truly think the DS games are far and away more charming and aesthetically beautiful than the 3D games.
You say this like it's a controversial opinion lol

Can Gamefreak pull something off like modern Fire Emblem and Three Houses and make something genuinely incredible out of the new formula? It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath - and I'm not going to risk the Gen 4 remakes for it.
Nope. That would require them to not be deathly afraid of changing anything significant, which they've been since Gen 5
INB4 the SwSh "open world" bullshit

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sw/Sh has pretty much killed all passion I have for the franchise anymore, and I don't think a straight Sinnoh remake will rekindle it. It depends on what they do to it I guess.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I feel like we'll never be ready if we keep waiting.

Personally, I feel like they're decent, SwSh and I would be happy with a DP remake in that style, and we know they usually improve even if they're from the same generation anyways, so it can't be that bad.

It's just that I don't understand why Sinnoh remakes have to be the perfect, ultimate games. They can still improve more if they remake HGSS or BW or XY in the future.

Though, I was thinking that FRLG came out 8 years after original RG. HGSS, 10 years after GS. ORAS, 12 years after RS. LGPE, 14 years after FRLG. So maybe, if we follow that pattern, we won't get DP remakes until 16 years later, aka, 2022? I don't want to wait that long :(