thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
We don't have GoG thread yet?
Still here is good news for Dynamix adventure lovers

I'm stoked about Rise of the Dragon getting released on GOG. More cyberpunk is always good. This year has been one of the best for classic adventure games on GOG. Four of my most wanted got released this year. Now we just need to finish the year with the release of Curse of Monkey Island and the Discworld and Legend Entertainment games.

I just picked up Late Shift since it's on sale and I'm in the mood for FMV. I know the gameplay is pretty simple, but hopefully it's good.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Syberia is now available for free on gog.com for the next 43 hours (at the time of typing this) so until November 11th at, I think, 6pm UTC

Last edited:

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm stoked about Rise of the Dragon getting released on GOG. More cyberpunk is always good. This year has been one of the best for classic adventure games on GOG. Four of my most wanted got released this year. Now we just need to finish the year with the release of Curse of Monkey Island and the Discworld and Legend Entertainment games.

I just picked up Late Shift since it's on sale and I'm in the mood for FMV. I know the gameplay is pretty simple, but hopefully it's good.
I've been interested in Late Shift and almost grabbed it a couple of times, look forward to hearing your impressions.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I've been interested in Late Shift and almost grabbed it a couple of times, look forward to hearing your impressions.
I already played Late Shift but only got one ending. It's a good FMV with good performance. From what I gathered there are multiple endings depending on the choice you make, but if u see it in a bundle or for cheap do get it!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

There are a few interesting PnC games shown in the Day of the Devs preshow, including Chuchil which I am liking more and more now.

Nov 9, 2017
Kelvin & The Infamous Machine is a pretty underrated adventure game that I not only enjoyed, but thought it was pretty well-designed. The puzzles are pretty logical, the art is decent, it's not a long game, and the voice acting wasn't grating. The story isn't anything fantastic, but it has a lot of charm. The only real fault of the game is that every area feels kind of empty; I wish there had been more things to interact with or more NPCs or something.

It's on Steam but doesn't look like it's on GOG.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Kelvin & The Infamous Machine is a pretty underrated adventure game that I not only enjoyed, but thought it was pretty well-designed. The puzzles are pretty logical, the art is decent, it's not a long game, and the voice acting wasn't grating. The story isn't anything fantastic, but it has a lot of charm. The only real fault of the game is that every area feels kind of empty; I wish there had been more things to interact with or more NPCs or something.

It's on Steam but doesn't look like it's on GOG.
The game is on my wishlist. With Winter Seal coming soon I hope to see it in a bundle or go for sub $5.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I learned all too late that you can double click at exits will let you quick travel to the next screen.
Anyways, The Dig is as good as I remember it, but now I see it more of an adventure game that is centered on 'explore an alien world'.
The ending could've been better I think and the game really could go with a key or button that highlights interactable objects or items because there were a few that I missed out on and needed to do a little pixel hunting to find them, but otherwise, I still enjoyed it.
I'd give it....hmm 3.5 out of 5 I guess.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the voice acting (it's good work but not really suitable for the vibe of those games), but those patches are great, and the best way to play MI1/2 legally these days for people new to the genre without having to hunt on ebay. There are actually tools you can use to change dialogue yourself too. I tested re-adding the Atlas dialogue in MI1 a while back and it worked well.

Only thing we're missing is the EGA MI1 (with the different close ups and setting sun at the dock), which I really wish GOG had packed in as a bonus, and the extra sound effects for MI2 from the FM-TOWNS version (though that's fairly minor).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I don't really like the voice acting (it's good work but not really suitable for the vibe of those games), but those patches are great, and the best way to play MI1/2 legally these days for people new to the genre without having to hunt on ebay. There are actually tools you can use to change dialogue yourself too. I tested re-adding the Atlas dialogue in MI1 a while back and it worked well.

Only thing we're missing is the EGA MI1 (with the different close ups and setting sun at the dock), which I really wish GOG had packed in as a bonus, and the extra sound effects for MI2 from the FM-TOWNS version (though that's fairly minor).
I recall you linked to a site that showcased the difference between 2 versions of MI1 at least, but reading this, someone needs to make a big ass list of each MI1 and MI2 ver. and detail what it does and does not have cuz this is all confusing me lol.
As is MI1 EGA and MI2 FM-Towns are versions with unique elements to them based on your post.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I recall you linked to a site that showcased the difference between 2 versions of MI1 at least, but reading this, someone needs to make a big ass list of each MI1 and MI2 ver. and detail what it does and does not have cuz this is all confusing me lol.
As is MI1 EGA and MI2 FM-Towns are versions with unique elements to them based on your post.

This is the page you're probably thinking of:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140125235519/http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/

(probably worth copying anything you're interested in as the page no longer exists so I had to use the wayback machine).

Here's the EGA/VGA MI1 differences:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140126034243/http://home.comcast.net:80/~ervind/mi1demo.html

MI2 differences are all audio. FM Towns version has sound effects for the carpenter's saw in Woodtick, the ship horn on Booty Island & spitting. Nothing major though.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Will do. I'm finishing up The Walking Dead this week, it's been enjoyable, but I miss the old Telltale games more. Then I'll get to Late Shift. Has anyone been watching the AdventureX Expo ? I didn't have time to check it out this weekend, but I'm going to try to watch some of the streams later. Was there anything cool announced?

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Will do. I'm finishing up The Walking Dead this week, it's been enjoyable, but I miss the old Telltale games more. Then I'll get to Late Shift. Has anyone been watching the AdventureX Expo ? I didn't have time to check it out this weekend, but I'm going to try to watch some of the streams later. Was there anything cool announced?

I too miss the older Telltale Games. Their Sam and Max and Monkey Island felt a lot more interactive than their newer games.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Right o lads and lasses. Time I let you in on a little secret:
I am writing a thread where I give my impressions on over 50 PnC Adventure games that I have played in the past 2 yaers (2016 & 2017).
I initially started with a Draft (ver. 0.5), and am now doing a proper writing of it which I hope to get ready by January, if not before or by the Steam Winter Seal. As is I'm going into ver. 0.8 or 0.9, and I wanted to share with you an early look at what the thread would look like.

ATM I've got the thread title as:
A Birdman's retrospective of 100 Point 'n' Click Adventure games & their derivatives

So please give it a read and let me know what are things I should make a note of. Any criticism is welcome, even if it towards my writing style or the way I am presenting each game (structure etc.).
=====================================================

A quick history about myself and the PnC genre

Let me take you back to a wondrous era: The Windows 98 era. Ah what a time; DOS, Win 3.1 and Windows 95 were still in use in some circles, and PC gaming was flourishing with many great hits coming out from various genres. Windows 98 may not have had that glorious tune, but its own start up theme was still lovely to hear.

My dad had gotten a laptop, I was around 10-12 years old at the time and I had not known that laptops were rather pricey for the time.
Among the games that were somehow attached to my memories of playing on the laptop were Dune 2000, a DK Multimedia disc and a promo disc from LucasArts featuring a demo of a game for this thing called Star Wars (whatever the heck that was) and FULL THROTTLE
FPPkbgv.jpg

Me and my brothers didn't care for this weird looking game where you couldn't even see your character, and put most of our hours into Full Throttle.
Man what a game, I know we beat it as kids, but the 'journey' for lack of a better word, was still a fun ride of figuring out what to do while trekking around like a boss as a badass black jacket wearing biker.
It's the simple things that mattered to a young'un like me at the time. From then on, well my scarce memory of playing any other PnC games include Sam and Max, Monkey Island 4 and Broken Sword 2.

The here and now (or rather 'so far')
Many years later I had managed saved up for a gaming lappy, and had stockpiled many PnC games over the years, and this past year I had played through this backlog, discovering many new titles, some entertaining experiences, others not so much, and I've made this thread to share my impressions of these games.
In addition to sharing my impressions, I hope this thread could introduce more people to the many titles in the genre (and its derivatives), and give some a starting point or list of titles they can themselves play and find some joy in those games.

I should note something in advance: I did not finish ALL the games listed here. Some I had dropped either halfway through or near the end of the game, and I'll mention such where applicable. Furthermore the numbering does not necessarily indicate the order at which I played them or any form of ranking. Just treat them as a 'counter' of sorts.

I also won't be writing TOO much about a game's plot or story so as to avoid spoilers, but will give the basic gist of the plot.
Furthermore, expect to see a few Visual Novels in here (thread title does say 'derivative'. While VNs aren't exactly seen as more proper PnC games, there are a few that'll get notable mention here. I would make another thread about VNs I own and played in the future.

The titles I've written about are divided into 3 sections:
1- Games I REALLY liked. These are titles that I enjoyed a lot either because of their design or simply due to their story, character or humor.
These titles are graced by that awesome GIF known as the 'Agent Cooper Tumbs up of Approval.GIF'
rvkfwxdpbkel.gif

2- Games I enjoyed, but had flaws that held them back that I personally disliked. Be it performance issues, irritating puzzles or sections etc.
For these titles, I award them the 'Raoh is pleased.jpeg'
yjhx2pudrjnj.jpg

3- Games that I played...but did not enjoy. These don't get any form of image and are the 3rd tier. They are likely to contain games that any of you have enjoyed, and that's fine. Which brings me to the next point in this thread.

Feel free to discuss and give your own impressions about any of the titles in this thread. While I wanted this thread to showcase the many titles I experienced, I welcome an open discussion even if you heavily disagree with some of my impressions of some titles. More talk about PnC and Adventure games is never a bad thing!

So with all the prefaces out of the way, here are the 50+ titles I played in 2017, along with others I played in the previous year.

"Diane, make a note of these fine Graphic Adventure Games, they add an exquisite sensation to my coffee any time of the day."
rvkfwxdpbkel.gif

1- The Journey Down series
O65HVLj.png

Release in: Ch. 1 in 2012, Ch. 2 in 2014, Ch. 3 in 2017
Developer: Skygoblin
Platforms: iOS, Android, PC

Synopsis
Bwana and Kito run a gas station in Kingsport Bay at the outskirts of St. Armando. One day after they cause a blackout to the entire city after fiddling with a fuse box, they are approached by Lina whom the duo agree to offer the services of their run down plane to help her fly to the Underland and find out why the St. Armando Electric Company is very vehement about keeping everyone in the dark about its existence.

The game has an interesting presentation, drawing insperation from Afro-Carribean culture, and I really like the voice acting esp. Bwana and Kito's. The overall presentation is really nice, as Skygoblin opted for a noir-themed setting.

Gameply wise you mainly control Bwana as he explores areas and interacts with objects. Interactables can be highlighted when playing which makes it easier to find objects or items needed in order to progress. There will be times when you find yourself exhausting every item in your inventory with objects until you find one that works, like the one time I needed to use a plunger to open a window. Yeah it's one of those kind of games.
Still the puzzles and gameplay were never a detterent to me and I very much enjoyed the humor in the game and there are some wily characters to meet over the course of the 3 games.

The overall music in the games are good, and I found them quite relaxing with some Jazz themed tracks here and there. The first 2 chapter's music were performed by Simon D'souza, who sadly passed away a few years ago. Purchases of The Journey Down soundtracks on Bandcamp will have proceeds given towards The Brain Tumour Charity. This also includes Ch. 3's soundtrack which was performed by Jamie Salisbury.

2- Day of the Tentacle
header.jpg

Release in:
Developer:
Platforms:

Synopsis
A purple tentacle, Purple Tentacle, drinks toxic wastes and undergoes a terrifying mutation: HE GROWS TINY PENGUIN-LIKE ARMS. With his newly formed apendages he decides to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.
To stop him, Dr. Fred Edison decides to send Bernard and his 2 friends, Laverne and Hoagie, BACK TO THE DAY BEFORE, in order to prevent Purple Tentacle's mutation and stop his plans for world dominance.
Things don't go exactly as planned, [strike]partially[/strike] due to Dr. Fred's use of imitation diamonds that the chron-o-johns need, which sends Hoagie to the past, and Laverne to a Bad Future where Tentacles rule the earth. With Bernard still stuck in the present, he must work together with his friends to bring them back and then they can set off to stopping Purple Tentacle's mad schemes.

Having played this game for the first time recently via the re-release, I can confidently say that Day of the Tentacle aged pretty well far as the genre is concerned, and is well deserving of its praise.
I found the puzzles pretty good and liked how you can switch between the trio to get items and solve them, and the humor was pretty light and servicable.
The re-release also has the original PC ver. of the Maniac Mansion game, which is a game I ought to play in the near future.

3- Contradiction
431821188.jpg

Released in:
Developer:
Platforms:

Synopsis
Contradiction follows Detective Inspector Jenks, the man of many reactions, as he investigates the death Kate Vine, and conclude whether her death was a suicide or a murder. His investagion takes him to the small village of Edenton, where you must interview or interrogate the various citizens related to the case in order to uncover the truth behind Kate's death.

Contradiction's gameplay is pretty simple and straight forward: Explore areas and find items to use during interregations. You would need to speak and find contradicting statements in order to progress, which is indicated when the game shows a clock stating that an hour has passed. If you're lost at what you need to do next, the game has a Hint system to help out.

The actors' performance is pretty good and the scenes are all well acted, but Rupert Booth steals the show with his performance as Jenks.
tumblr_nro1enskFP1qeuiqyo2_500.gif

The game becomes much shorter once you figure out what to do, but it's an entertaining experience and one I can come back to from time to time. Just wish we'd get a successor or sequel, even if it is a separate story from this one. I need more Jenks reactions in my life.

4- Late Shift
header.jpg

Released in: 2017
Developer: CtrlMovie, Published by Wales Interactive
Platforms:

Synopsis
"After being forced into the robbery of a lucrative auction house, mathematics student Matt is left proving his innocence in the brutal London heist. Your choices will have consequences from the very start, right through to the very end. One small decision could change the entire outcome in a choose-your-own-adventure style gameplay that can lead to one of seven conclusions."

I've only seen one possible ending in the game, and will replay it in the future to see what other possible outcomes could happen, even if it is a different route that leads to a similar ending sequence.
The overall performance by the actors is good and the story has is pretty gripping. I don't think there is more I can say that wouldn't spoil the plot, but the video quality is very good. If you found Telltale's 'create your story' theme in their past half a dozen or so games leaving you humdrum, Late Shift might offer you a better experience. For one thing there wouldn't be any jank!

======================================================

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Late Shift is great but I wouldn't call it a point & click adventure game. ;) The entire game is about choosing between 2-3 options at certain points so that the movie can continue. About 4/5 of it is roughly the same, but the game (movie ;)) can end in a few VERY different ways.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Late Shift is great but I wouldn't call it a point & click adventure game. ;) The entire game is about choosing between 2-3 options at certain points so that the movie can continue. About 4/5 of it is roughly the same, but the game (movie ;)) can end in a few VERY different ways.
Fair enough but way I see it, It's an FMV, which was a deriviative of the PnC genre, so in my twisted, masked luchador, spanish obscenities yelling mind, it falls under the category ;P

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Nice write up so far Tizoc. I agree more threads about PnC games is never a bad thing, it's crazy how we have only one thread to discuss the entire genre when there are so many amazing games deserving of their own thread. I'm also liking Late shift too and agree that you should include FMV games here since they don't really have their own thread anyway. I am still on the first play through but I think I should finish one play through tonight. It's definitely making me want to play through it again, unlike other choice based games.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved contradiction. Completely changed my view on FMV games which I had given up on in the 90s. Went through a slew of them afterwards and even finally finished Gabriel Knight 2

That said, is late shift any good ? Obviously I read the review above hence why I am asking but just interested in more thoughts as comparing it to TellTale doesn't instill a lot of confidence these days

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks for the feedback, it'll take a couple of days to get all the titles I want written up, but keep in mind 3 things
1- My english writing skills are mostly shot to hell so at times what I write may not fully or properly convey my impressions of the title I am writing about
2- I may end up writing short entries for some titles, this is mainly due to the first point I mentioned.
3- I am writing from what I can remember of these games, some whcih I had played months ago, but I'll try to note down anything significant I can remember from my playthroughs.

At any rate, I just beat this game
header.jpg

...and it was short. I got it for like $5ish on Steam and the main plot is simply about escaping an underground compound, after finding some treasure.
A very SMALL underground compound, I might add. I use the word 'compound' but's really just a bunch of like half a dozen or so interconnected rooms inside a cave.
There is only 1 major puzzle in the game, and the rest is simply interacting with items or objects and using the right item at the right object in order to progress.
The game can be beaten in an hour, and while the music and pixel art are OK. I wouldn't recommend this game unless it's very very very cheap or in a bundle :X
I'll give them a B for effort at least.
The game is made in Italy and the English translation is serviceable but leaves a lot to be desired.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Progress Report!
First list is about halfway through.
100 Titles are expected to be in the final write up, with a 10-15 games margin of error.

EDIT1: Certain titles were in my list that fall more on the Adventure side than 'Point n Click'. Such titles will get an 'honorable mention' section mainly to increase interest in them.

For example I'd expect Ayo to be a PnC but it is more of an Adventure Platformer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/667220/Ayo_A_Rain_Tale/

As is I'm mostly keeping note of the titles I played this year in order to fill out the first tier, then I'll work on the 2nd and 3rd ones.

Do note certain titles may not appear in this list such as Monkey Island 1 and 2. The list primarily consists of games I played in the past year. Any other titles that didn't make it in will be represented in a 'sequel' thread

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So I'm playing Else Heart Break aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
How is this game 13 hours long again? I only just started but my NVidia card can't seem to run the game properly early on. Also it's pretty odd game.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gave late shift a shot and ended up playing through it a few times to see all the major changes. Thought it was pretty decent. Production values were surprisingly high and your choices actually have significant impact. The story was good but nothing special and a bit barebones

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Anyone here played this point and click gem from 2005 called Still Life? If you can stomach some pretty average graphics by today's standards and a cheap cliffhanger ending, give it a look. One of the better traditional adventure games I played that revolves around a murder. (Don't go anywhere near the sequel though). Here's a low res video of what you can expect from the title:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Anyone here played this point and click gem from 2005 called Still Life? If you can stomach some pretty average graphics by today's standards and a cheap cliffhanger ending, give it a look. One of the better traditional adventure games I played that revolves around a murder. (Don't go anywhere near the sequel though). Here's a low res video of what you can expect from the title:
I played and beat Still Life.
My one issue with it was that it was slow, but its graphics are fine. The ending being a cheap cliffhanger is something you may want to rethink about.
Esp. after watching Ross' Game Dungeon's review of it

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
I played and beat Still Life.
My one issue with it was that it was slow, but its graphics are fine. The ending being a cheap cliffhanger is something you may want to rethink about.
Esp. after watching Ross' Game Dungeon's review of it

It was quite slow, the recipe puzzle in the kitchen was one of the few puzzles I needed a guide for among all the adventure games I played. I'll check out the video you shared, would be interesting to look at the ending from a different point of view over a decade after its release.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It was quite slow, the recipe puzzle in the kitchen was one of the few puzzles I needed a guide for among all the adventure games I played. I'll check out the video you shared, would be interesting to look at the ending from a different point of view over a decade after its release.
Ross also did reviews (for lack of a better word) on other Adventure games taht released over the past decades, so check out his channel for them.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Ross also did reviews (for lack of a better word) on other Adventure games taht released over the past decades, so check out his channel for them.
Thanks Tizoc, will have a look after work. Curious about his thoughts on the ending of Still Life as well as what he may have to say about the greats of the 90s too.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks Tizoc, will have a look after work. Curious about his thoughts on the ending of Still Life as well as what he may have to say about the greats of the 90s too.
Ah I should mention that the Game Dungeon mainly focus on ultra obscure titles such as Rama and Maabus. He offers entertaining commentary and impressions though IMO.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just about to embark on re-playing Syberia for the first time in a few years, can anyone here name some similarly peaceful, relaxing and atmospheric point & click adventure games that you particularly enjoy?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm just about to embark on re-playing Syberia for the first time in a few years, can anyone here name some similarly peaceful, relaxing and atmospheric point & click adventure games that you particularly enjoy?
Old Man's Journey
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/581270/Old_Mans_Journey/

OneShot
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420530/OneShot/

This is more of an adventure game than a puzzle game.
Actually this isn't so much relaxing os much that it is cute and charming. I do think it's kinda atmospheric given the setting it takes place in... I'm just trying to spread the wor don it :V

The Journey Down series
header_586x192.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/4676/The_Journey_Down_Trilogy/

Hey man I find Jamaican accents relaxing and soothing!

Lilly looking through
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250030/Lilly_Looking_Through/

Lovely little adventure game with some beautifully drawn backgrounds

The Dig
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6040/The_Dig/

This one is more atmospheric since you are exploring an alien world.

The Lion's Song
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/437160/The_Lions_Song_Episode_1__Silence/

4 stories and the game is prestned in a monochrome brown style. It takes place in Austria during the early 19th century and has some interesting themes in it.

...and of course Doki Doki Literature Club!
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

Which is the total opposite of what you want but has some pretty interesting themes in it. That 'Overwhelming Positive' review rank is no joke, and it's label warning is 100% true.

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Life is Strange with my gf and she wants more adventure games! She likes story and puzzles, and isn't that great with a controller...

I have a Switch and a PS4... what should be my picks? Dunno if this is the right thread for it but for some reason I don't have posting privileges yet.

I've been out of the adventure loop for like ten years or so.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
i started a replay of Syberia earlier this week and ended up uninstalling it. some of the puzzle stuff is just... a lot to deal with

Really? I'm not the best puzzler in the world but I managed them all okay on my first playthrough way back in 2002. If you want tough and annoying puzzles, try Syberia 2 .........

Edit: I tell a lie, I struggled a little with the last main puzzle towards the end of Syberia.

Last edited:

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
I too miss the older Telltale Games. Their Sam and Max and Monkey Island felt a lot more interactive than their newer games.

Same here.. I did enjoy Tales from Borderlands and Wolf Anong Us but there is literally no puzzles or challange to their games anymore. Despite being pretty low budget compared to later Telltale works, Tales from Monkey Island is still the best thing they've ever made Imo, some good puzzle design and writing and I feel they hit the tone of the series pretty well..
It did suffer from a lot of recycled assets and overdoing the "maze" puzzles. Probably better than Escape from Monkey Island overall though not coming close to the godly first 2 games in the series.