• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried Syberia on the Switch? I see it was released a few days ago (Syberia 2 is released on Nov 30th (with the dire Syberia 3 in 2018)).

I love Syberia and still have the original boxed PC version from 2002 (but now have the GOG version installed on my PC). Syberia 2 isn't as good as the first but it's still worth playing. As for Syberia 3, I'd say it's best avoided at all costs - they really dropped the ball with that one.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Do you play on the Switch using a stylus? Or did they actually implement analog controls in the old games? Would be impressive.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, as it bugged me to be reposting this thread in October with many games having already released, I've updated the OP into "released games" and "upcoming games". Took me a long time to do, but everything should be done now (please let me know if I've put a game in the wrong category).
Should help me a lot for the 2018 thread, as a lot of them look like they're going to slip.

One thing I noticed is that there are a lot of P&C games that go under the radar. Steam have 10 pages of P&C's this year, many of them already released:

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en/Point & Click/#category[]=2&p=0&tab=NewReleases

Now, obviously some of these are going to be shovelware given Steam no longer curates, so I'm not going to just add them all to the OT as it would take an age to do, but I'm sure there are some gems that have gone largely unnoticed. If anyone has played and liked one of them that aren't already in the OT, please let me know and I'll update it (and probably buy it to try for myself :) ). Otherwise I might slowly go through them all over the next month or so and figure out what seems good.

BTW, the reason it took so long is because a lot of devs don't update their webpages, which is pretty silly, as it can make your project look dead. Some even have release dates that are already past (or in one case long since past *cough camp ravenwood cough*). If any devs/pubs are reading this, it's cool if you're updating on twitter or kickstarter or wherever instead, but at least link to that post on your official website. And never let your stated release date be earlier then today's date lol. If I went by the website I'd think Memoranda never came out (it came out in January!).

Last edited:

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Do you play on the Switch using a stylus? Or did they actually implement analog controls in the old games? Would be impressive.

From the (badly translated) reviews that I've read, the Switch version of Syberia is direct control of Kate but with stick selection of objects (but do check on that, I may have misunderstood the reviews).

There's also a video of the first 20-odd minutes of gameplay here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVnmYZSr10

I must say that I don't like the oversized dialog window/box jumping up and down like it does, it's supposed to fade in and out (as is the case on the original PC version). Also, on the Switch version (and some other ports) none of the characters move their lips when talking ............

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Whispers of a Machine
Glad that devs finally embraced something above 240p resolution, looks pretty good! :D

What's the best ver. of
CURSE OF ENCHANTIA? Amiga or Windows/DOS?
Windows version by far, Amiga version judging by longplays don't have music and color palette is heavily reduced.
Also don't forget to use munt for mt-32 music emulation.

vs

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I backed this unique-looking (I think) P&C game on Kickstarter recently, I'm afraid it won't reach its goal though. There's a demo available if you want to give it a try.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...2d-point-and-click-graphic-adve?ref=user_menu

7a87293bc43579dc6eac25aaea54a7d5_original.gif

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, when I was checking games, it reminded me of the existance of Icon Architect 1.0

Looks like it's still going:

https://twitter.com/IconArchitect10

Last screens are from April:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51693.msg636557536#msg636557536

wjIp14Z.gif

Pixel art and colour cycling (the rain effect) really hits the spot for me.

Great work sir_crocodile with updating the OP. I too was happy to see that Icon Architect was still alive when I saw the update. I thought for sure they would be dead.

I have a list myself of upcoming point and click games, but there is a user on GOG who keeps a great list of everything released so far this year. First half of 2017.
Second half of 2017.

He bolds the ones that he thinks are significant and I tend to agree with his opinions. Missing released ones that look good to me, but that I haven't had a chance to try yet are:
Detention (12 Jan, 2017)
Four Last Things (23 Feb, 2017)
Neofeud (25 Mar, 2017)
Late Shift (18 Apr, 2017)
What Remains Of Edith Finch (April 25, 2017)
Chronicle Of Innsmouth (6 May, 2017)
Rakuen (10 May, 2017)
The Dream Machine (11 May, 2017)
The Infectious Madness Of Doctor Dekker (19 May, 2017)
The Lion's Song Episode 4 - Closure (13 Jul, 2017)
The Low Road (26 Jul, 2017)
Code 7 (Episode1) (11 Aug, 2017)
Last Day Of June (31 Aug, 2017)
HIVESWAP: Act 1 (14 Sep, 2017
XING: The Land Beyond (21 Sep, 2017)
Thaumistry: In Charm's Way (09 Oct, 2017)

I included text adventures and walking simulators in there so I would also include Blackwood Crossing, Tacoma, The Darkside Detective, Life is Strange: Before the Storm and of course the GOTY The Journey Down: Part 3.

For upcoming games I would like to suggest:
Football Game: December 2017
Finding Paradise
Black Mirror - November 28, 2017
Gorogoa

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yo, sir_crocodile, I'd appreciate your impressions on what I wrote in the previous page if you don't mind :X

For that matter, man it's been a great year for PnCs and the next year is gonna keep getting better. I really look forward to all these upcoming releases.
BTW if you hadn't added them I linked to a few games here
https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...ead-2017-pixels-walk-with-me.1364/#post-82187
I'll try to do a few write ups for you to add later on too, when I'm free.

Right now I've got Valiant Hearts which I aim to finish tomorrow. I'll take a short break as I finish up AER then I'm gonna play Rogue Quest which I just bought :P After that it is back to my Steam PnC backlog and I think I'll just eff it and play through The Dig, no need to keep putting that for later, I mean how bad can this be huh?!
19394-the-dig-dos-screenshot-the-famous-bones-puzzle-possibly-the.gif

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
Hello PnC-ERA! This is, by far, one of my absolute favorite genres. I used to follow this thread on the other site, but I'm making an effort to post more and not be so heinous of a lurker.

I love the classics and the new guard as well. Most recently I've been playing through Deponia, but boy, is the main character an asshole. I'm liking the puzzle design and the graphics, but he's really, really off-putting.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After many, many years, I have finally played - and completed - Full Throttle.

It... was not worth it - and this is coming from a pretty big Lucasarts fan. It doesn't have enough of anything - except, perhaps, the clunky motorbike fights. The quasi-scifi setting feels odd and tonally inconsistent; many of its puzzles are bizarrely dissatisfying; there are few characters of note or interest.

Maybe if I was more into biker culture or something like that I'd have enjoyed it more, but this really didn't do much for me at all.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yo,
Right now I've got Valiant Hearts which I aim to finish tomorrow. I'll take a short break as I finish up AER then I'm gonna play Rogue Quest which I just bought :P After that it is back to my Steam PnC backlog and I think I'll just eff it and play through The Dig, no need to keep putting that for later, I mean how bad can this be huh?!
The worst puzzle in an otherwise incredible adventure game. I loved the Dig, one of the few non-comedic Lucasarts games, sad they didn't do more in this vein of sci-fi adventures.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Cheers LTJ. I'll go through that this weekend and update the OP.

Yo, sir_crocodile, I'd appreciate your impressions on what I wrote in the previous page if you don't mind :X

The one about Kyrandia 3 and Lily? Unfortunately I never played K3 because I hated K1. Had awful inventory management that necessitated massive amounts of backtracking if you discarded the wrong item. One of those "classics" that to me was never good even at the time.

Lily is still in my "to play" mountain. I bought it ages ago but haven't found the time.

For that matter, man it's been a great year for PnCs and the next year is gonna keep getting better. I really look forward to all these upcoming releases.
BTW if you hadn't added them I linked to a few games here
https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...ead-2017-pixels-walk-with-me.1364/#post-82187
I'll try to do a few write ups for you to add later on too, when I'm free.

I'll check out Rogue Quest & Darkside Detective this weekend, cheers.

The Dig is a fantastic experience, the atmosphere is incredible. I think with a few more months to tweak some things it could have been an all time great.

After many, many years, I have finally played - and completed - Full Throttle.

It... was not worth it - and this is coming from a pretty big Lucasarts fan. It doesn't have enough of anything - except, perhaps, the clunky motorbike fights. The quasi-scifi setting feels odd and tonally inconsistent; many of its puzzles are bizarrely dissatisfying; there are few characters of note or interest.

Maybe if I was more into biker culture or something like that I'd have enjoyed it more, but this really didn't do much for me at all.

FT generally sucks. It looks nice (and looked fantastic way back then), and has a good story, but it was very obviously cut short from what was originally envisaged and the puzzles are the drizzling shits. Schafer is just not very good at designing them. I felt this very strongly on replaying when the remaster came out. So many of his puzzles require you to be in exactly the right place and do exactly the right thing with little or no hint - even if you're on the right track you may never know it.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I also really love The Dig and have played through it several times. Well I think I like pretty much every LucasArts adventure game from Loom onward, well I guess I can't say for sure that I still like Escape From Monkey Island since that is the only one I haven't replayed since it was first released.

Anyone else still backing adventure kickstarters? I had taken a break for a little while, but since two of the kickstarters I backed (Thimbleweed Park and The Journey Down: Chapter 3) released this year, I am now down to only two in the pipeline (Gibbous, which I am very confident is going to turn out fantastic and Starr Mazer, which I am not very confident will even be released). So I thought it time to back some new kickstarters. I decided to back K'NOSSOS, since I'd been interested in it for a few years ever since I read about it on the adventuregamers forum. It should get funded since the goal is pretty small, but it would be nice to hit some stretch goals.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I also really love The Dig and have played through it several times. Well I think I like pretty much every LucasArts adventure game from Loom onward, well I guess I can't say for sure that I still like Escape From Monkey Island since that is the only one I haven't replayed since it was first released.

Anyone else still backing adventure kickstarters? I had taken a break for a little while, but since two of the kickstarters I backed (Thimbleweed Park and The Journey Down: Chapter 3) released this year, I am now down to only two in the pipeline (Gibbous, which I am very confident is going to turn out fantastic and Starr Mazer, which I am not very confident will even be released). So I thought it time to back some new kickstarters. I decided to back K'NOSSOS, since I'd been interested in it for a few years ever since I read about it on the adventuregamers forum. It should get funded since the goal is pretty small, but it would be nice to hit some stretch goals.
Just played through The Dig last year & thought it held up very well.
As for kickstarters I'm keeping an eye on Trüberbrook which is coming to Kickstarter in a couple weeks.
http://trueberbrook.com

LaneMartain

Oct 27, 2017
Thimbleweed Park was great and made me a happy old SCUMM fan. The Lion's Song came out this year and might suit you if you're looking for something a bit artsy.

I have to believe that another Dreamfall game will happen... one day.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
Just played through The Dig last year & thought it held up very well.
As for kickstarters I'm keeping an eye on Trüberbrook which is coming to Kickstarter in a couple weeks.
http://trueberbrook.com
Thanks for this, looks promising. I'll also check it out when it goes up.

I back pnc kickstarters from time to time

Atill waiting for my detective di key tho :v
Yeah, It seems like it is still far away.

Thimbleweed Park was great and made me a happy old SCUMM fan. The Lion's Song came out this year and might suit you if you're looking for something a bit artsy.

I have to believe that another Dreamfall game will happen... one day.
I know, Ragnar just give me The Longest Journey Home already! I'm going to replay Chapters someday if I ever get the rest of my digital rewards that I'm waiting for. I think the Director's Cut made some improvements, but it was still a disappointment the first time around.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing through the kickstarter dissapointment poster child known as Broken Age (according to the internet, I will not express any opinion on the game until I finish it). On the positive side, I found out that the package xwiimote makes the use of the wii u pro controller plug n play on Linux, which is great for my DIY steam link.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
It feels like I have been waiting 10+ years now for the perfect point and click game...

I just want another murder-conspiracy-mystery-thriller set in current times (if possible with beautiful hand drawn backgrounds), like Broken Sword 1&2 or even Still life.

Is it ever coming?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It feels like I have been waiting 10+ years now for the perfect point and click game...

I just want another murder-conspiracy-mystery-thriller set in current times (if possible with beautiful hand drawn backgrounds), like Broken Sword 1&2 or even Still life.

Is it ever coming?
Have you played Contradiction?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Will play Runaway A Twist of Fate - i hope its good! I need a break from huge ass pixel graphics in The Last Door lol

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Have you played Contradiction?

Yep, and I liked it. But its different from what I'm longing for.

Has there been made even one murder mystery-thriller P&C during the last say 5 years? (I am not that interested in the 8bit pixel style that Timbleweed Park has)

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
One of my all-time favorite genres when I was growing up. I've since lost my way with playing these but I am slowly but surely returning.

I recently picked up The Pillars of the Earth which I'm having a good time with, and l dig the art style too.

3275219-ss_4e0ba5739bc74312056a765365b4719ab9248ec2.1920x1080.jpg

I still recall the days of Broken Sword, Monkey Island and the Indiana Jones series. 100% subbed to this.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017

Has there been made even one murder mystery-thriller P&C during the last say 5 years? (I am not that interested in the 8bit pixel style that Timbleweed Park has)
I really liked Cognition, which is set in the present day, but has a supernatural element.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Oh Waxworks is an First person dungeon crawrler-like. I thought it was an Adventure game lol.

The one about Kyrandia 3 and Lily? Unfortunately I never played K3 because I hated K1. Had awful inventory management that necessitated massive amounts of backtracking if you discarded the wrong item. One of those "classics" that to me was never good even at the time.

Lily is still in my "to play" mountain. I bought it ages ago but haven't found the time.
Do play it soon, Lilly is short enough to beat in a few hours.

FT generally sucks. It looks nice (and looked fantastic way back then), and has a good story, but it was very obviously cut short from what was originally envisaged and the puzzles are the drizzling shits. Schafer is just not very good at designing them. I felt this very strongly on replaying when the remaster came out. So many of his puzzles require you to be in exactly the right place and do exactly the right thing with little or no hint - even if you're on the right track you may never know it.
Full Throttle to me is a game that I recognize its flaws but I can still go about enjoying it for its simplicity and that it is a short game that can be beat in a few hours, so it doesn't outlive its welcome. I still enjoy playing it to this day.

I really liked Cognition, which is set in the present day, but has a supernatural element.
Cognition has great voice acting but the overall visuals and presentation feels outdated.

As for your query Jiro...umm non that come to mind I'm afraid. I'll need to consult my list @o@

BTW I finish Journey Down Ep. 3 this year as I was a backer and I gotta say that overall Journey Down is a lovely adventure series with nice humor and cool characters. However I do feel that
there were some stuff they didn't get around to do in the game like the journey towards the early start of the game. I think they could make a game from that if they had the opportunity

Last edited:

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017

Not quite what you're after, but the last couple of Sherlock Holmes games come to mind.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man instant sub thread.

How is Siberia on the Switch? Is it worth the money? I can get it much cheaper on any other platform and don't really know why it's so pricey on the Switch.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man instant sub thread.

How is Siberia on the Switch? Is it worth the money? I can get it much cheaper on any other platform and don't really know why it's so pricey on the Switch.
From what I've seen it seems to be a minimal-effort port with its fair share of issues and an overly high pricetag. As great as Siberia is, I can't justify picking up the Switch version.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

It's been a while. I did back Knights&Bikes, but I don't think it really qualifies for this genre.

My previous experiences have been mixed:

Broken Age - Very happy with that, best of the bunch, and favorite in the genre.
Thimbleweed Park - Did not care for the ending and resolution to the story, and I think the number of selectable characters worked against it. Otherwise it was pretty good.
Broken Age 5 - It was fine, but didn't really move the series forward at all, in terms of story or gameplay.
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect - Haven't actually tried it yet.
Moebius - Played it for five minutes, and then quit it. Couldn't take the dialogues.
Dreamfall: Chapters - Didn't back it, but bought it soon afterwards on GOG. Played the first chapter, but didn't really enjoy it.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
One of my all-time favorite genres when I was growing up. I've since lost my way with playing these but I am slowly but surely returning.

I recently picked up The Pillars of the Earth which I'm having a good time with, and l dig the art style too.

3275219-ss_4e0ba5739bc74312056a765365b4719ab9248ec2.1920x1080.jpg

I still recall the days of Broken Sword, Monkey Island and the Indiana Jones series. 100% subbed to this.

I am super interested this game. I have played nearly all the Daedelic games and I really like the artstyle in this game. I believe there are 3 chapters and the first one have been released so far. It's a bit expensive, so I'll probably pick it up when it's a bit cheaper.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's bad, but (based on my experience with the first episode), they tried to do to many things.
*There's the linear escape sequence, that has puzzles, that just aren't fun.
*There's the "walking simulator" dream sequence.
*Then there's an open world part, with puzzles.
*And in that part they add Telltale style dialogue choices.

It's not wrong to be ambitious, but since not one part of those different things felt especially strong, I feel that they should have chosen to take on less things when they designed the game. Their core strength was still the setting, art style and story.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like i'm the only person on earth who enjoyed dreamfall chapters
I loved the first chapter. I could hardly believe that I was playing a continuation of a series that I considered to be dead dead dead. It looked great, Europolis was one of my favorite cyberpunk locations ever, and the dialogue and voice acting were just as good as before.

..but Red Thread was clearly too ambitious and they couldn't actually afford a full game with those production values. The subsequent chapters just amplified the flaws from the first chapter and I eventually stopped playing. I should go back to finish but I'm a bit sad about the whole project.