Will buy Final Fantasy XVI

• Yes (at launch)

Votes: 447 65.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

Votes: 102 14.8%
  • Maybe (waiting for reviews and impressions)

Votes: 59 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
I'm probably in the minority thinking 2-3 big first party games a year is enough. Gives them more time to breathe and have decent marketing cycles especially in a crowded enough release calendar. As long as they keep supplemeting their first party with SIE-published second party titles (i.e. Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin) and AAA-like indie titles (i.e. Kena) they'll be fine. IMO there's too many games to play out there

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I'm probably in the minority thinking 2-3 big first party games a year is enough. Gives them more time to breathe and have decent marketing cycles especially in a crowded enough release calendar. As long as they keep supplemeting their first party with SIE-published second party titles (i.e. Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin) and AAA-like indie titles (i.e. Kena) they'll be fine. IMO there's too many games to play out there
The thing is Sony isnt providing what you're saying either. This year is just SM2, and next year will probably be gaas focused. Maybe 1 big single player game if we're lucky.
This is not enough

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
They want to make AAA games. AA games like Concrete Genie, Matterfall or even Sackboy: A Big Adventure didn't sell. It's the reason why Sony and even Square-Enix moved towards AAA games. They don't need to make filler games for a subscription service.
It takes longer to make an AAA game these days. And not every studio wants multiple teams. So the solution is more studios. More acquisitions. 2023 looks dry and 2024 (at the moment) doesn't look much better.
You're right but this is too controversial. Good thing is it won't really become obvious until next generation.

Jul 2, 2021
I don't think Death Stranding 2 is certain for 2024. But it's crazy that we might be 9 to 13 months from actually seeing new games being announced. 😐
Even more when it feels they haven't announced much since 2021.
I know, right? And they want the PS5 to break records. Well good. Then release some big 1st party hits. The old Switch easily outsold the PS5 last quarter because they had Zelda.
The thing is Sony isnt providing what you're saying either. This year is just SM2, and next year will probably be gaas focused. Maybe 1 big single player game if we're lucky.
This is not enough
I couldn't agree more.
You're right but this is too controversial. Good thing is it won't really become obvious until next generation.
Imo it's already starting to become very obvious. And we're in PS5's 3rd year. Meanwhile the competition is buying publishers and gobbling up popular blockbuster IPs.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

He is right, but no one wants the industry to become even more consolidated. Well, I wouldnt say no one, but a lot wouldn't. It would solve all of playstations issues if they purchased a reasonably sized publisher, but I would almost prefer less games to that happening, personally.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know they claimed their scale of SP development didn't go down with the massive increase in live service development, but with the cost and length of developing going up, NOT increasing your core spend and proportional amount of staff/teams on single-player projects IS still a reduction by force.

The same amount of resources simply yields fewer results unless you continue to scale up with the trend. And that seems to be what we're seeing now - we aren't getting MORE SP announcements, and games are taking so insanely long to even reveal, much less make, that we're ending up in these massive, featureless dead zones.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It is. People will list a bunch of third party stuff but this doesn't look good
Out of all of their studios we only know one of them is supposed to release a game (Concord) if I'm not wrong. And we haven't seen anything meaningful of that game either. Considering the fact that its new ip, from a new studio, and a gaas title, most of us have nothing to look forward to 24 in terms of first party stuff.

And for someone like me that is not a fan of marvel games, this years was not good either in that regard.

I don't know what's the solution but this isn't good
The Sony funded third party games like Ronin and DS2 seem to be just as much first party in Sony's eyes, and I don't know why we should make a distinction between them either. They seem to have their next year's slate more or less announced, and I doubt they'd hurry to reveal more titles from first party studios just because an upcoming exclusive is made by a third party.

I'm 100% sure that they could reveal some games right now, but the period from announcement to release is getting smaller and smaller, and with so many quality games coming out and PS5 continuing to sell extremely well, there's hardly any reason to do early reveals. It wouldn't really help their business in any way and it's much easier to first grab the spotlight with a great reveal and then keep that momentum ongoing with the release date not too far in the future.

Toiletduck

Dec 10, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1689033750704005121

I find it sad to see so many views on a tweet like this. I can understand that someone may not see the type of games that he or she is expecting but to say that there are no games, the support has been good so far.

Also, I think, we're getting these views because Sony is too quiet this generation. They skip big shows, they have a disappointing showcase after a two-year hiatus, their State of Plays are too scattered and often too focused on third party content, etc.

They are too comfrtoable and quiet, in my opinion. I hope this changes soon. They are obviously doing great and will be fine, but I think they could do even better.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I know they claimed their scale of SP development didn't go down with the massive increase in live service development, but with the cost and length of developing going up, NOT increasing your core spend and proportional amount of staff/teams on single-player projects IS still a reduction by force.

The same amount of resources simply yields fewer results unless you continue to scale up with the trend. And that seems to be what we're seeing now - we aren't getting MORE SP announcements, and games are taking so insanely long to even reveal, much less make, that we're ending up in these massive, featureless dead zones.
Yeah its baffling to me how people are convinced Sony's approach to gaas area wouldn't affect their traditional games

Jul 2, 2021

That's true. And the solution is pretty clear. They need more studios for more games.

Last edited:

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

I find it sad to see so many views on a tweet like this. I can understand that someone may not see the type of games that he or she is expecting but to say that there are no games, the support has been good so far.

That's a dusty house. Or they're bad at cleaning. Or they've actually cleaned everything but the PSVR. For internet likes or something.

However personally I'd agree. I very nearly bought one on offer the other day but went off the idea as there's little I want to play. It's been out nearly a year and it lacks a real must have I care for. And while the Showcase was overall pretty poor, the confidence I had in VR after it went off a cliff. Which is a shame as I really liked the original headset and really wanted this when they announced it but I'm still waiting on something special. Hopefully when (if) they announce an Astrobot sequel they'll be a relaunch of sorts with some really good announcements. But I'm not holding my breath right now.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
2-3 big games a year from Sony would actually be great compared to what we have now
If they didn't money hat FFXVI as an exclusive this year would be roblox_oof.mp3

Jul 2, 2021
It is. People will list a bunch of third party stuff but this doesn't look good
Out of all of their studios we only know one of them is supposed to release a game (Concord) if I'm not wrong. And we haven't seen anything meaningful of that game either. Considering the fact that its new ip, from a new studio, and a gaas title, most of us have nothing to look forward to 24 in terms of first party stuff.

And for someone like me that is not a fan of marvel games, this years was not good either in that regard.

I don't know what's the solution but this isn't good
We're in the same boat then. I don't play multiplayer games and I don't play Marvel/DC games.
I bought the PS5 for Sony's singleplayer games. And right now my PS5 is a "Wait for Death Stranding 2" machine. It's boring right now. Thank god Larian hit a home run with Baldur's Gate 3 on PC. One of the best RPGs of all time.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm sorry but I find this a bit funny lol

2021- sony's obsession with blockbusters is stirring unrest within PlayStation empire

2023 - sony's obsession with GaaS is stirring unrest within playstation empire

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think, we're getting these views because Sony is too quiet this generation. They skip big shows, they have a disappointing showcase after a two-year hiatus, their State of Plays are too scattered and often too focused on third party content, etc.

They are too comfrtoable and quiet, in my opinion. I hope this changes soon. They are obviously doing great and will be fine, but I think they could do even better.

Yeah, Sony needs to start communicating more about their PSVR2 software plans, I don't really blame anybody thinking this is pretty much it for them in the foreseeable future.

Sony is at fault here.

Edit: Personally I'm happy with the games we got and what's coming in the next couple of weeks/months, but that's mostly because I don't own a Quest or PCVR.

Jul 2, 2021

I get it though. When I look at PS VR2 all I'm seeing is Horizon Call of the Mountain. And I'm not paying 600€ for one game.
Sony has already problems to make enough 1st party games for the PS5. They clearly don't have enough 1st party studios to support two platforms. Or even three platforms with PS5, PS VR2 and Mobile.
Yeah, Sony needs to start communicating more about their PSVR2 software plans, I don't really blame anybody thinking this is pretty much it for them in the foreseeable future.

Sony is at fault here.
That's true. Sony's lack of communication is already a well known problem though.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
The Sony funded third party games like Ronin and DS2 seem to be just as much first party in Sony's eyes, and I don't know why we should make a distinction between them either. They seem to have their next year's slate more or less announced, and I doubt they'd hurry to reveal more titles from first party studios just because an upcoming exclusive is made by a third party.

I'm 100% sure that they could reveal some games right now, but the period from announcement to release is getting smaller and smaller, and with so many quality games coming out and PS5 continuing to sell extremely well, there's hardly any reason to do early reveals. It wouldn't really help their business in any way and it's much easier to first grab the spotlight with a great reveal and then keep that momentum ongoing with the release date not too far in the future.
There is a difference between first party and third party exclusive games
Honestly out of all the upcoming third party exclusive games, DS2 is the only one that make me excited. And guess what? We don't know of we get to play it next year or not either.

I'm just saying having only SM2 for this year is not good enough
And next year is not looking too good either. I don't care if they sell crazy numbers. I want more quality first party games than this.

At this point my problem is not "not revealing new stuff"
My problem is maybe there won't be enough content for next year from their first party games
Like this year
That's 2 years in a row. And this will happen again if they don't find a solution

nolifebr

Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
If they don't have any announcement within the next month, this is what PlayStation's 1st/2nd party announced in the last 24 months.

The Last Of Us Part I
Firewall Ultra
Horizon Call Of The Mountain
Horizon Burning Shores
Death Stranding 2
Fairgame Dollar
Helldivers 2
Concord

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from watching Gran Turismo.

It's fine, not really much to say for or against it in my opinion other than it being so average as a film.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
We're in the same boat then. I don't play multiplayer games and I don't play Marvel/DC games.
I bought the PS5 for Sony's singleplayer games. And right now my PS5 is a "Wait for Death Stranding 2" machine. It's boring right now. Thank god Larian hit a home run with Baldur's Gate 3 on PC. One of the best RPGs of all time.
Yeah it's not looking good when there is nothing exciting to play on your console. I haven't used my PS5 in a long time. Can't wait to play BG3 on my PC tho

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. And I'm not even touching Kojima's latest "let me see how far I can jam my arm up my own asshole" ego trip. I could not possibly care less about a Death Stranding sequel, so it's just...dead. The future is completely dead.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
All I can think about is Armored Core & Baldur's Gate.

Ghost is easing the pain but boy howdy is that a double whammy close together.

Jul 2, 2021
If they don't have any announcement within the next month, this is what PlayStation's 1st/2nd party announced in the last 24 months.

The Last Of Us Part I
Firewall Ultra
Horizon Burning Shores
Death Stranding 2
Fairgame Dollar
Helldivers 2
Concord
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

Yeah it's not looking good when there is nothing exciting to play on your console. I haven't used my PS5 in a long time. Can't wait to play BG3 on my PC tho
Yeah it's not looking good for my PS5 at the moment.
And oh man you're in for a treat. BG3 is amazing.

View: https://twitter.com/noneconomical/status/1689234440105406464

View: https://twitter.com/ashmonsterftw/status/1688130335543046144
🤭

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022

Toiletduck

Dec 10, 2017

The Last Of Us Part I
Firewall Ultra
Horizon Burning Shores
Death Stranding 2
Fairgame Dollar
Helldivers 2
Concord

Very dry. Thankfully the platform does so well with third party software.

But yeah, despite them doing amazing with selling consoles this is dry and disappointing. Let's hope they announce stuff soon.

Joo

May 25, 2018
There is a difference between first party and third party exclusive games
Honestly out of all the upcoming third party exclusive games, DS2 is the only one that make me excited. And guess what? We don't know of we get to play it next year or not either.

I'm just saying having only SM2 for this year is not good enough
And next year is not looking too good either. I don't care if they sell crazy numbers. I want more quality first party games than this.

At this point my problem is not "not revealing new stuff"
My problem is maybe there won't be enough content for next year from their first party games
Like this year
That's 2 years in a row. And this will happen again if they don't find a solution
What's the difference? If Ronin, DS2 and / or Rebirth won't come out in 2024, then we have a problem, but there's zero difference to us whether any of these would come from Sony owned studios or not. Short term there's your quality first party games likely to release next year, because the difference is only in semantics. Maybe Sony acquires KojiPro or Team Ninja after they've released the games, or maybe they handle the situation differently.

With Covid there was bound to be a dry year for Sony also, and 2023 has been it, which still had Forspoken, FFXVI and and Spider-Man 2. So what if e.g. FFXVI releases later on other platforms? The biggest thing imo is that Sony's first / Sony funded exclusives are almost guaranteed to be very high quality, big budget releases. That's way more important than whether some games release on Xbox a year or two after release. Like now we have Ronin and DS2 which are fully Sony owned IPs and 100% get the same care and budget than any Sony first party game. If you aren't personally interested in every single release, that's a bummer but way more likely to happen than every single game being right up your alley when even Sony needs to diversify their portfolio.

Jul 2, 2021
Very dry. Thankfully the platform does so well with third party software.

But yeah, despite them doing amazing with selling consoles this is dry and disappointing. Let's hope they announce stuff soon.
Yeah but I can play these 3rd party games on my PC or maybe even on my Switch.
Spider-Man 2 is bailing them out this holiday season. And then? They want to break hardware sales records this fiscal year? And they want to sell the PS5 Pro next year? With what? Another 3rd party game? GTA6? MLB The Show 2025? Like dude, the competition is going to murder you very soon with blockbuster 1st party content. Do something.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think for the PS5 gen everything is ok despite wishing releases were more frequent. The important thing moving forward will be the next gen and in a perfect world, Sony would have a major first party release every quarter. The thing is it will take time for all the reorganization of internal studios staffing up to be more like 2 teams to really see that effect this current gen. However, if ND, Santa Monica and GG can effectively become studios with 2 teams ideally once the PS6 gen starts we get releases every 2 years from each studio.

When you factor in Insomniac who is already a damn effective 2 team studio, and with Sucker Punch in the mix even if they remain a 1 team studio, I think you could have a situation where every year you are getting 2 AAA releases from one of ND, SSM, GG, Insomniac or Sucker Punch. Then ideally you get 2 more releases each year from one of Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firesprite, Asobi, Bend, Media Molecule, and whatever Xdev projects are in the pipeline.

Again we won't see this in the PS5 gen, but if SSM, Naughty Dog and GG are able to ramp up developers in the hopes of being consistent 2 team studios, which appears to be the case from everything we hear, I think this could be achievable. However, a few more studios for sure would help make this more likely to happen for the PS6 generation, and I'm positive over the next 2-3 years they acquire a few more studios to get there. Furthermore, if 1 or 2 of the GAAS games truly do hit and generate a consistent revenue stream, you hope some of the other studios that had their GAAS projects not hit ideally move back to supporting single player games.

Jul 2, 2021
What's the difference? If Ronin, DS2 and / or Rebirth won't come out in 2024, then we have a problem...
Like now we have Ronin and DS2 which are fully Sony owned IPs....
The difference is that the sequels might skip PlayStation if a competitor buys the studio or the publisher. See ZeniMax Media, Activision-Blizzard or studios like Ninja Theory with Hellblade 2.
Look at Rise of the Ronin for example. It's a 3rd party IP. Koei-Tecmo owns the IP. It is not a fully owned Sony IP. Neither are Stellar Blade or Lost Soul Aside.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil

August is the best month since the launch lol. There's even a big first party game.

VR Skate - August 4
Green Hell VR - August 15
Firewall Ultra - August 24
Crossfire Sierra Squad - August 29
Phasmophobia

That read like console wars tbh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, uh, I'm excited for Spider-Man 2

I mean the problem is, it's ONE game, and it's also a startlingly known quantity, being the third game of that framework from the same developer in the past six years. We're getting to a point where almost everything Sony has in the pipeline that isn't a multiplayer game is a sequel to a PS4 game or EXPECTED to be a sequel to a PS4 game, and that level of overfamiliarity isn't hugely healthy brand-wide.

SM2 will do fine, but this is about more than individual sales.

The difference is that the sequels might skip PlayStation if a competitor buys the studio or the publisher. See ZeniMax Media, Activision-Blizzard or studios like Ninja Theory with Hellblade 2.
Look at Rise of the Ronin for example. It's a 3rd party IP. Koei-Tecmo owns the IP. It is not a fully owned Sony IP. Neither are Stellar Blade or Lost Soul Aside.

Sony owns Ronin the same way they own Death Stranding and Bloodborne. But yes, if Microsoft were to buy Team Ninja tomorrow, any future games LIKE Ronin from Team Ninja would never come to PS again.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
What's the difference? If Ronin, DS2 and / or Rebirth won't come out in 2024, then we have a problem, but there's zero difference to us whether any of these would come from Sony owned studios or not. Short term there's your quality first party games likely to release next year, because the difference is only in semantics. Maybe Sony acquires KojiPro or Team Ninja after they've released the games, or maybe they handle the situation differently.
Let's agree to disagree. Most third party deals that Sony make are so boring to me (specially in recent years). I buy their console for their first party games and they aren't providing enough of that.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Finally picked up a PS5. I need someone to explain to this to me like I'm an idiot because looking at the PS Store makes me feel like. I have the PS4 versions of FF7 Remake. If I want to play the Intergrade Yuffie story, how do I go about doing that? Can I just buy the upgrade? Do I need to buy the full PS5 version of FF VII Remake? Is the upgrade option only available for PS+ Extra? Just looking at the PS Store suggest the the answer is maybe for all of these options.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

The "no games" part is hilarious. I mean, ignoring the fact that its just factually wrong, one look in the VR2 thread here shows that we are getting games fairly frequently. The "problem" is that these will be seen as indie games - despite the fact many are excellent. Im guessing the poster is one of those silly people that expects huge AAA VR games to appear out of thin air by Naughty Dog or something... Which was never gonna happen.

As it stands, I have more VR games than I have time for right now. Im loving it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't. This OT is, lol. Most people don't play a ton of games a year. They also don't care who the publisher of the game is or if it's first, "second," or third party.

It's amazing to see people complaining about how many games there are to play, when this year has been absolutely packed to the gills. I wonder what places like this were like during the PS3 era…

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They don't. Sony owns the Bloodborne and Death Stranding IPs. They're 1st party IPs.
Koei-Tecmo owns the Rise of the Ronin IP.

I know what I said. Sony XDEV owns Rise of the Ronin. It's a different situation than Nioh. Nioh is the one where Sony let TN retain ownership of the IP and only published - Ronin is a far more substantial, Bloodborne-level collab.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we do hear more studio news over the coming year, especially to help expand the amount of games in different genres in the coming years so we get quality stuff at a steady clip. Maybe not at the rate Microsoft is aiming for but enough to keep finding something to go back to.

It's more challenging now that games take so much longer to develop, that it makes sequels for games that were successful feel like they have been drawn out for too long despite only having two entries. It makes producing new IP more risky unless it's at an indie budget, and sequels take forever to come out compared to the PS3 years. That's the main problem I feel, and it's a risk that's coming for the games industry at large.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021

Yeah for me its more then enough. (I understand its not the same for everyone)
The last first party released game that I have played is Tlou2 so I still have allot of catching up to do just on the first party front 😅

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we do hear more studio news over the coming year, especially to help expand the amount of games in different genres in the coming years so we get quality stuff at a steady clip. Maybe not at the rate Microsoft is aiming for but enough to keep finding something to go back to.

It's more challenging now that games take so much longer to develop, that it makes sequels for games that were successful feel like they have been drawn out for too long despite only having two entries. It makes producing new IP more risky unless it's at an indie budget, and sequels take forever to come out compared to the PS3 years. That's the main problem I feel, and it's a risk that's coming for the games industry at large.

It doesn't help that the AAA side of the industry is homogenizing so much that every single game feels like every other game. Even the second game in a shooter franchise doesn't change the fact that it's one of eleven billion "aim for the head, hit the kill button, repeat x1,000,000...but maybe with friends??????????????" games being developed in parallel with each other.

There's just nothing exciting to look forward to anymore. It's a pit of gray, overpriced sludge, and they're acting like we should be grateful to slop around in it like lazy pigs.

They last one I've played was the Horizon Forbidden West expansion Burning Shores. 💀 An awesome expansion, but... it's an expansion.

For me it was Miles Morales, which is itself...also an expansion. To a game that came out seven years ago. Woof.

Status
Not open for further replies.