Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
How are we feeling about the potential for an early 2023 State of Play? I feel like it's only a matter of time at this point considering the amount of unknowns in Sony's pipeline, perhaps a Horizon Burning Shores State of Play next month. It's the new year, so we should get some new announcements, right? I'm probably gonna make this kind of post about one a week before Sony gives the official word, so bear with me here lol

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
a39ca068eecb15dca57cad4995307ba63832bb9a.gifv

8964ad85db3836060a3540472dad407369d12475.gifv

012dca4b0e9207d1a07375692782159be59f7812.gifv

68c0ad8bfbb139ee82df150a7be95817a76a3849.gifv

5218495fe198f3c7333708f39ab5982d3640f701.gifv
Goddamn, it's so pretty!

Can't freaking wait!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How are we feeling about the potential for an early 2023 State of Play? I feel like it's only a matter of time at this point considering the amount of unknowns in Sony's pipeline, perhaps a Horizon Burning Shores State of Play next month. It's the new year, so we should get some new announcements, right? I'm probably gonna make this kind of post about one a week before Sony gives the official word, so bear with me here lol

I feel like we are getting some sort of State of Play in the next 30 days. As to what the main topic will be is anyone's guess, but I think we get one sooner than later.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

I think we will get something just before or after PSVR2 launch. I think they've just been holding out for that because they didn't want to highlight too many games that could get delayed out of the launch window. Once a few more of the PSVR2 and PS5 titles for the 2nd half of the year are on more solid ground I think we'll get a proper blowout.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I got my platinum on GOW:R. Now I feel like I have a lull without anything I'm really looking forward to until Burning Shores in April. I wish forspoken coulda filled that void for me.
Do what I'm doing, clean up in Horizon Forbidden West. New game + has new weapons, dyes, and face paint. I want to have everything I want prior to the DLC.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017

I think prime time was this week or next week. Anything after that seems too close to psvr2 launch. Maybe a early to mid March showing.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
The recent reception to a bunch of AAA games has me thinking we're going to some type of shift in the next few years. Saint's Row, Gotham Knights, and Forspoken were all very high budget games that flopped critically and certainly didn't reach their sales potential. I don't know what shift there will be, but I do sense one coming.
Hard to see it shifting much when the risk will remain the same no matter the budget.

Whether its New IPs vs Sequels, Remakes & Remasters or Linear Focused vs Open World or FPS vs TPS or Single Player vs GaaS, Co-Op, & MP, or $70 vs F2P & Subscriptions, Making any game will always be a risky gamble for any studio and publisher.

In SIE's case, I could possibly see more 3rd Party Devs willing to collaborate with SIE & XDEV to minimize development costs yet maximizing dev resources like insight and support from PS Studios, much like the deals with Team Ninja, Kojima Productions, Shift Up, Firewalk Studios, & Deviation Games recieved.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm team Early March! Right after VR2

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Of course this is old but it is always nice to look at the concept art, lighting, character art, etc... for these games.
www.iamag.co

The Art Of Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart - 145+ Artworks

Discover a selection of character designs, concept art, environnement created for Ratchet and Clank : Rift Apart, by Leroy Chen, Dave Guertin, Damon
magazine.artstation.com

Bluepoint Games Demon's Souls Art Blast - ArtStation Magazine

Demon’s Souls was released just a couple of weeks ago, and we here at Bluepoint are absolutely blown away from the wave of positive response that we’ve received. This game is a testament to the hard work and dedication that this talented team poured into this project. Remakes are inherently...
www.iamag.co

The Art of Destiny 2 The Witch Queen - 350+ Artworks

Discover the Art of Destiny 2 The Witch Queen, with a selection of 350+ artworks, including, Character Designs, Weapons, Props, Backgrounds and more, done

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
Hard to see it shifting much when the risk will remain the same no matter the budget.

Whether its New IPs vs Sequels, Remakes & Remasters or Linear Focused vs Open World or FPS vs TPS or Single Player vs GaaS, Co-Op, & MP, or $70 vs F2P & Subscriptions, Making any game will always be a risky gamble for any studio and publisher.

In SIE's case, I could possibly see more 3rd Party Devs willing to collaborate with SIE & XDEV to minimize development costs yet maximizing dev resources like insight and support from PS Studios, much like the deals with Team Ninja, Kojima Productions, Shift Up, Firewalk Studios, & Deviation Games recieved.
I do find it odd how I generally trust AAA games either developed by Sony or have had a 2nd party like partnership with Sony as compared to other publishers. Don't get me wrong. I play other AAA games that have no relationship with Sony that I've loved as well, but in terms of general trust that it will at least be good, I have no problem preordering Sony games that are in my wheelhouse.

Rise of the Ronin is an obvious pickup (assuming it doesn't play like Nioh) for me and games like Stellar Blade or Death Stranding 2 are at least on my radar to get day 1 if they can sell me closer to release date (not necessarily my type of game but interested).

My guess is that Sony AAA titles are generally games that I expect will respect my time and money. They don't need to maximize profits from games like independent third party publishers do because of their console sales and micro transactions they get elsewhere. They can focus on making a game first rather than thinking about engagement. I appreciate how they make their games nowadays in that they make their game worlds feel alive. The amount of world building they spend on their IPs insane. You could even see it in their lower budget projects like Returnal.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I would expect a State of Play sometime within the next month or two, yeah, it's been longer than usual since we've had one

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
Do what I'm doing, clean up in Horizon Forbidden West. New game + has new weapons, dyes, and face paint. I want to have everything I want prior to the DLC.

That's a great idea, I think that's exactly what I might do. A nice and slow play through of new game + sounds like the move for me.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The recent reception to a bunch of AAA games has me thinking we're going to some type of shift in the next few years. Saint's Row, Gotham Knights, and Forspoken were all very high budget games that flopped critically and certainly didn't reach their sales potential. I don't know what shift there will be, but I do sense one coming.
The recent reception to some of these AAA games makes me appreciate Sony's bangers more. They are so good it makes me feel they're easy to do when it's the total opposite.
It's a miracle a game ships at all let alone a AAA banger in good shape.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if HBO now wishes it also had its hands on Sony's other properties that went elsewhere (i.e. Twisted Metal to Peacock, God of War to Amazon, and Horizon to Netflix).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly won't be heartbroken if Sony skips a PS5 Pro model and just runs with the PS5 for the 20's. The system has barely stretched it legs anyway and it is a much better technical experience than the PS4 was when it launched.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there starting to be rumors of a PS6? My god, just "started" the generation and it was rumored that there wouldn't be a ps6 until 2028 and yet it's already being rumored?
Iirc, they start developing the next gen console pretty early in the current gen life cycle. I really doubt we'll be getting a PS6 anytime soon given the slow start to this gen.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The shift is already happening: it's remakes and remasters. Expect more of them. I feel that people say they want new games, but they don't . I know that quality matters and some recent big new IPs failed in this regard. But games like Callisto Protocol and Forspoken seem like stuff people wanted more of (specially Callisto, that had the misfortune of having its inspiration come out as a remake a few months later) but then didn't give a proper chance. On the contrary, people were aggressively against these games. I feel that we were much more tolerant to new games/IPs and their shortcomings in the ps3 era. We could see beyond the product in front of us and value a franchise's potential and we expected the sequel to be better (and they were!). Uncharted and Assassin's creed come to mind. Now it feels that most new IPs come out to die.
But... I do want new games, not remakes and remasters. Thing is... some of the games mentioned on this past page were launched as buggy messes that charge top dollar to buy. Maybe a patch or three fix them in the future, maybe it stays a mess. Unfortunately that can hurt a game right out the gate to a point where it never recovers, but some games have pulled themselves out from under it all (No Man's Sky for sure, ditto FFXIV).

The other problem, you mention franchise potential and better sequels. This is true on paper (I love Mega Man and Yakuza - two series which had second games that blew the previous one out of the water in every way) but game dev time basically kills this... Gotham Knights? A sequel could fix most of the issues with the game but GK took years to release (and WB Montreal had several games canceled between Origins and GK) so it'd take them at least 3-4 years to get a sequel out, if the game under performed WB is almost certainly not gonna green light a sequel...
Its not like a couple of gens back where a good sequel comes a year or two after the first one (Mega Man 2 and Yakuza 2 both had around 12 month dev cycles, which is physically impossible these days...)
So you get some playing it safe with remakes of old games, or "safe" sequels to known properties. Not really knocking either, they sell. I didnt think TLOU (the show) would explode the way it did, but the knock on effect its having for the games is cool to see. While I prefer new games to remakes (I have Forespoken on its way right now!) Id be lying if I said I wasnt excited for Dead Space this week (replaying the original via Steam Deck right now!)

There's no great answer sadly... Id love to go back to the PS2/3 days of getting sequels quicker but that aint happening. Thankfully indie and VR stuff pad out my gaming library alongside the bigger games so I never have a shortage of games to play.

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
I don't normally dip into the PS thread, but I'm feeling pretty burnt out on my current rotation of games. I think I'm ready to dive into a more crafted, single player experience for a bit.

Problem is I cannot use a DualSense for more than a few minutes without my wrist feeling like crap. Could use a DualShock 4 with zero problems, but the DualSense just kills me.

Any recommendations on a good PS5-compatible controller with offset sticks?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I am aware that Jim Ryan isn't the most beloved figure among Playstation enthusiasts but I've been thinking about Playstation's current position and its prospect for the future and I have to say, while he does say some dumb stuff from time to time he seems like he is pretty capable. Playstation is growing, it seems to have successfully fended off a much more aggressive Microsoft, the Activision acquisition is facing a lot of scrutiny in part because of Ryan's efforts, first-party games are selling better than ever, the expansion to PC brought in more money and a new audience, all the various studios are pumping out quality content on a timely schedule and even the cross-media strategy seems to be a big hit with the Uncharted film and now The Last of Us series.

Now, obviously a lot of the above is the result of the employees themselves or the foundation laid by his predecessors but still, I feel that at the very least he isn't getting in the way of Playstation's success and at most he is contributing to it.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Just hit credits on Ragnarök, what a damn experience that game was. Really happy I didn't get spoiled for several months.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
But... I do want new games, not remakes and remasters. Thing is... some of the games mentioned on this past page were launched as buggy messes that charge top dollar to buy. Maybe a patch or three fix them in the future, maybe it stays a mess. Unfortunately that can hurt a game right out the gate to a point where it never recovers, but some games have pulled themselves out from under it all (No Man's Sky for sure, ditto FFXIV).

The other problem, you mention franchise potential and better sequels. This is true on paper (I love Mega Man and Yakuza - two series which had second games that blew the previous one out of the water in every way) but game dev time basically kills this... Gotham Knights? A sequel could fix most of the issues with the game but GK took years to release (and WB Montreal had several games canceled between Origins and GK) so it'd take them at least 3-4 years to get a sequel out, if the game under performed WB is almost certainly not gonna green light a sequel...
Its not like a couple of gens back where a good sequel comes a year or two after the first one (Mega Man 2 and Yakuza 2 both had around 12 month dev cycles, which is physically impossible these days...)
So you get some playing it safe with remakes of old games, or "safe" sequels to known properties. Not really knocking either, they sell. I didnt think TLOU (the show) would explode the way it did, but the knock on effect its having for the games is cool to see. While I prefer new games to remakes (I have Forespoken on its way right now!) Id be lying if I said I wasnt excited for Dead Space this week (replaying the original via Steam Deck right now!)

There's no great answer sadly... Id love to go back to the PS2/3 days of getting sequels quicker but that aint happening. Thankfully indie and VR stuff pad out my gaming library alongside the bigger games so I never have a shortage of games to play.

I remember that article about Sony's obsession with blockbuster games back when the news of the remake of TLOU broke and the more time goes on the more I realize that that was a two way street. It feels like games aren't allowed to JUST be okay or good anymore. Granted I understand gaming is expensive so people want the best of the best for their money, and game dev is costly as hell, but it's no wonder that companies are too afraid to deviate too much.

In the Forspoken thread people brought up a few Square games that were being considered as flops and I just spent a month off from work playing those very games and having a blast, jank and all. Callisto had issues but I really had fun with it too and it was refreshing playing this wide variety of games with varying quality after something like GoW. As someone who played games their entire life it reminded me so much of why I enjoy this hobby, getting to experience all sorts of different games.

Thank God for indies for sure but that middle ground for higher end games is crumbling and I'm not sure what the solution is. People say Gamepass and sure it'll allow for the occasional smaller game from studios but even that service has to put out major titles to drive up subs. So eh. I dunno. I'm not full doom and gloom at all, gaming is GOOD right now but I often lament the direction the industry is going.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that article about Sony's obsession with blockbuster games back when the news of the remake of TLOU broke and the more time goes on the more I realize that that was a two way street. It feels like games aren't allowed to JUST be okay or good anymore. Granted I understand gaming is expensive so people want the best of the best for their money, and game dev is costly as hell, but it's no wonder that companies are too afraid to deviate too much.

In the Forspoken thread people brought up a few Square games that were being considered as flops and I just spent a month off from work playing those very games and having a blast, jank and all. Callisto had issues but I really had fun with it too and it was refreshing playing this wide variety of games with varying quality after something like GoW. As someone who played games their entire life it reminded me so much of why I enjoy this hobby, getting to experience all sorts of different games.

Thank God for indies for sure but that middle ground for higher end games is crumbling and I'm not sure what the solution is. People say Gamepass and sure it'll allow for the occasional smaller game from studios but even that service has to put out major titles to drive up subs. So eh. I dunno. I'm not full doom and gloom at all, gaming is GOOD right now but I often lament the direction the industry is going.
I definitely felt a disconnect between my opinion of the Forespoken demo (for example) and others. I actually enjoyed it, and there was a thread not long after which highlighted a ton of combat moves that the game just didnt explain (well) so I know I'll still enjoy the game (once I turn down/off the dialogue). I have a higher tolerance for "ok" games, or jank, or whatever you call it... I see a game get a lower MC score and I'll still play it, probably enjoy it more than expected (for all its faults I actually enjoyed most of Agents of Mayhem)

I have Callisto to play. Funnily enough it was a harsher review that sold me on the game because I actually liked the sound of how the combat was handled lol. The One Piece game that just released is another I eagerly look forward to playing (I mean, for a OP game, it got great reviews, the demo seemed promising as well).

But yeah, there does feel like a gap in between the BIG AAA stuff and the AA/B games we got in abundance in gens past. The PS2 especially was amazing for that, so many oddities, one offs and smaller series... Capcom alone had me hooked with Killer 7, God Hand, Okami, Crimson Tears, Haunting Ground, Under the Skin etc. That sort of experimentation is lacking in this past gen, looking at Capcom's output, its safer stuff - Resident Evil, Monster Hunter etc. Amazing games (some of the best they've ever done), but yeah, not much variety. This year actually could change that if both Exoprimal and Pragmata pop up, seeing as those are actual new series, and in Exoprimal's case, is actually fun to play for the most part going by the beta.

But yeah, indies do lots of heavy lifting for me these days. Those smaller/different experiences? Those basically all come from indies now. We have Tchia and Season coming soon, Power Wash Sim is out next week and its honestly super fun in a relaxing sort of way, and heck we've actually had a decent number of 3D platformer games recently which is nice (a couple of great PS1 feeling ones as well!)

I do miss getting more than 1 Rockstar game a gen though... didnt know how good we had it back in those PS2 days!

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Can they really do that? Just ask PlayStation for what they have in the pipeline to help their case?

Surely PlayStation are entitled to some kind of privacy for the benefit of their business and plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.