• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also, terrible generation for Sony increase the price of their games. In the age of "value", raising the price of games (seemingly for no reason) was Sony's worst move of this generation so far.
Said this around the release of Returnal: Sony needs to at least consider releasing some games at lower price points, even if it's just 10 bucks lower. It makes absolutely no sense that huge block busters with huge budgets like God of War, Spider-Man and Naughty Dog games are priced the same as a game from a studio like Housemarque. There would be absolutely no shame in selling a game such as Returnal at a lower price than God of War Ragnarök.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the way they make games would ultimately change, both in budget and scope, but it's why I also believe they'd also have to keep expanding their studios to maintain their status as the best place to play single-player games. I just think that PlayStation has made enough great strides this last gen when it comes to their first-party games (and the reputation they brought) and have a good enough library of properties that they could continue to be successful on their own, even if they don't have IP's as strong as Call of Duty and stop being the market-leader/can no longer sell +100M consoles.

But I also think that Sony knows they need to diversify, and it's why they have quite a few multiplayer projects in the works. They only need one or two to catch fire.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think PlayStation will cease to exist because of this or other future acquisitions. But this will change PlayStation and how they operate, that I don't doubt.

All I hope is that I can continue to play the games that I enjoy.

They 100% will not cease to exist in the immediate or near future, but a LOT of things are going to change if they can't find a way to keep players from hemorrhaging off of their hardware.

Like people really need to understand HOW BAD OF A TIME IT IS for a buyout like this to happen, when most people haven't been able to get their hands on the console yet due to stock shortages. These people are now going to think long and hard on if it's even worth it to wait for a PS5 at all if the key third party games are disappearing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
You could apply that to Call of Duty, however, which will now be MS, and that certainly moved the needle. I'm sure Dark Souls is the same way. Would Sony want to lose Final Fantasy or Resident Evil or Dark Souls?

Splits in japanese games lean heavily on PS side, which doesn't happen with COD which also sells a ton on XB.

Sony losing SE or Capcom games would obviously be bad for them but I don't believe MS will buy any of those big japanese companies. Could be totally wrong ofc.

EA already said they're thinking of not using the FIFA brand on their football/soccer games anymore.

www.wired.com

EA Sports Might Lose ‘FIFA,’ and That’s Not So Bad

As the two sides negotiate over the price of the brand, “this is a time when you say goodbye to FIFA,” says one former EA exec.

When I said FIFA I was thinking in football licenses in general, since FIFA (game) always had most of those.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to jump too much into this, but do you remember what gaming was like as kid? I got one console every six or seven years and maybe one game every five or six months, with another on my birthday.

They'd have every right to be upset, honestly. I certainly wouldn't have learned a lesson about corporations, lol
True. lol

On the bright side, do you also remember the small number of games that were released back then yet alone quality ones? We are oversaturated in media in general, including games. So many games get released daily, weekly, monthly, and annually that it's great to be gamer no matter where you game at.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The only response I can see sony doing is buying bungie and the destiny ip. Nothing else can compete with Call of Duty.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Splits in japanese games lean heavily on PS side, which doesn't happen with COD which also sells a ton on XB.

Sony losing SE or Capcom games would obviously be bad for them but I don't believe MS will buy any of those big japanese companies. Could be totally wrong ofc.
Well If I was Sony I would be more worried that MS will just buy them. They would be peanuts compared to Activision.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I like this one.

Nahhhhhhh It's way too kneejerk with the current situation haha. I'd rather not have such a title, but it is somewhat fitting so considering TLOU Hbo series (and with the amount this reference/comparison has been made) :p

TheXboxPost

Banned
Oct 1, 2021
I have seen more mentions of MAG today in this this thread than in any previous PlayStation Studios OT's and it warms my heart.

220px-MAG_%28video_game%29.jpg

One of the best MP games of that gen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's condescending. Trying to guilt someone for being angry about something and defending it by 'facts and logic' is just being rude.
Guilt somebody? WTF are you talking about?

We are not entitled to any future games to release on our preferred platform. Period.

It doesn't matter if the previous game in that franchise was released on our preferred platform.

The sooner people accept that the sooner they quit incorrectly framing that some business deal "took" these games from them.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nahhhhhhh It's way too kneejerk with the current situation haha. I'd rather not have such a title, but it is fitting considering TLOU Hbo series :p
Well, this will likely end up being the biggest gaming news story of the year, so I think its okay to reference it haha.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Guys, no need to delude yourself into thinking that Take Two is an option for Sony. Yes, it's technically possible, but Sony is a huge conglomerate with many divisions. They will not put their entire financial might into a single division like that. Take Two was 20+B $ before their acquisition of Zynga, that's an astronomical amount of money for Sony. More than their entire 3-year budget for acquisitions across ALL divisions, for a single move. It's not happening. Maybe something to the size of Capcom. Maybe. But certainly not Take Two.

I think they will continue buying independent studios the size of Insomniac at most. They can still build up their first party catalog that way without completely breaking the bank.

One take-away from this though: Stop wasting money with timed-exclusives. They will help literally NOTHING long-term. It's a waste of money. Better to bolster their inhouse line-up with that money, instead of building up external franchises that can leave their ecosystem at a moments notice.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
- People saying Sony should buy Square or Capcom, most of the sales from those companies franchises are already happening on PS (when compared to XB) so it wouldn't exactly move the needle that much

These moves by MS makes it clear the limitations of that strategy. When your competitor can, at any time, swoop in and buy the supplier of your third party content, relying on timed deals and exclusive DLC becomes risky and leaves you open to being shut out completely. This happened twice now to Sony. They will be fools to think it can't happen a third or fourth time.

XB1NH0

Dec 7, 2017
People, please stop defining niche as "small". It doesn't mean small, it means specialized.
Specialized but also small. we cannot say that 100 million people in a universe of 200 million is niche.
"According to Philip Kotler, a niche market is a group with a more narrow (that market segment) definition. Usually it's a small market whose needs are not being well served. Complementing this definition, the niche market (unlike the market segments that are larger and easily identifiable groups), is one group reduced (from individuals, companies or organizations), with needs and/or specific wishes, willingness to meet them and economic capacity to make the purchase or acquisition."
Nintendo might be in a market segment but not in a niche segment.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
So even with Activision, Xbox total revenue still just makes them the third largest publisher, with PlayStation still number one.

Are we sure Sony needs to do anything dramatic to respond to this even?

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Gotta say I agree with everything PlanetSmasher and St. Elmo's Fire are saying. Big purchases are the only thing that will keep Sony competitive in the future. They need to ditch the conservative thinking and spend. Unfortunately, I don't think Yoshida and the dudes at the top of Sony think the same way. Things are looking grim

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
This. Rockstar releasing one game ever 7 years isn't it.

Square Enix, Capcom and WB games. Along with some smaller developers like Larian, Kojima, Haven, Deviation, Probably Monsters, People Can Fly and Arrowhead.

Probably talking 20Bn or so and would set up Sony decently to compete.
This can't be it..I don't want a world where no third party exists. I hope this shit can't go through.... Not optimistic and already planning on building a PC for the inevitability of PS games coming within 12 months of launch.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
PlayStation doesnt sell 100 Million consoles because they are making game of the year tier games, they are selling 100 Million consoles because of Call of Duty, GTA and Fifa, and now they are going to lose one of those sources.
Sony are left with 3 options on the matter:

Acquire Take Two to make sure GTA is on their platform and not their competitors, use Zynga to kickstart their mobile initiative and have another huge active sports franchise (albeit that one wont be exclusive), this is following MS's loss leading strategy and is a very risky move but a necessary one if they want to remain highly competitive in the same space as MS.
Acquire Square Enix and/or Capcom and go in the way of the Nintendo, cater to a 30 Million niche fanbase at high margins even at the cost of MS potentially keeping on buying in the west and suffocate out the rest of the 70 Million console base.
Staying with their own lineup only wont be enough, the size of that fanbase is too small to self sustain their console, so the third option is to just let MS have Game Pass on PlayStation and get the MS FP games through that.
Yes. These options would also be possible, especially the T2 route. Still, if they buy the latter they should keep releasing their games on PC to recover the investment. GTA only on PS would be a good way to keep users on the platform. In addition, Sony, fortunately, has many multiplayer projects right now that can satiate COD players.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Man, think about how excited/happy Xbox fans are right now. MS has SO MANY STUDIOS now it's insane. Xbox is becoming a better and better place to play games.

I just wish I had waited and bought a Series X instead of the Series S. It's a good little system, don't get me wrong. But it's not great for a 4K TV. I figure I'll buy a Series X though within a couple of years.

The big thing is, in like two years, MS will probably be releasing 20+ first party games a year. Sony isn't capable of that. I hope they get to that point. The IPs Sony is losing access to in this deal are important, but having a lot of good quality games are arguably just as important.

Well for this buy the get a COD every year fast .
Still one side of the company does take a long while to bring out games .

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I agree with everything PlanetSmasher and St. Elmo's Fire are saying. Big purchases are the only thing that will keep Sony competitive in the future. They need to ditch the conservative thinking and spend. Unfortunately, I don't think Yoshida and the dudes at the top of Sony think the same way. Things are looking grim
I'm just here reading takes, I don't think they are at all correct. Just because a publisher is in "third-place" doesn't mean they're failing.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
I needed to see this thread just to clean my eyes out from the news today. Recently got Demon Souls remaster and holy MOLY does to look gorgeous. Best visuals I have seen in a game in my entire life. Great time to be alive.

Jul 2, 2021
They 100% will not cease to exist in the immediate or near future, but a LOT of things are going to change if they can't find a way to keep players from hemorrhaging off of their hardware.

Like people really need to understand HOW BAD OF A TIME IT IS for a buyout like this to happen, when most people haven't been able to get their hands on the console yet due to stock shortages. These people are now going to think long and hard on if it's even worth it to wait for a PS5 at all if the key third party games are disappearing.
And people/kids think: Hey I can get all these monster games for a few dollars on Game Pass. All Microsoft IPs, all Bethesda IPs, all Activision Blizzard IPs. Call of Duty, Halo, Doom, Wolfenstein, Minecraft, Starfield Elder Scrolls, Overwatch, Gears, Forza, Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Crash Badicoot, Fallout and the list goes on and on. On Xbox. On Game Pass.
At this console generation just started. People are still deciding what to get because of the chip shortage.
Brutal.

Sony has a handful of big IPs (~10 to 20 million sellers), only 17 first-party studios, no sub service like Game Pass (yet) and $70 first-party game prices.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The only way to counter cod is by buying Bungie. To counter the whole ActivisionBlizzard acquisition they gotta go for Take Two which is possible for Sony.
I don't think Japanese companies will sell to MS.

Is Take Two possible? I have to imagine it would cost as much as the Activision/Blizzard purchase Microsoft just made if not more.

Sony could acquire Bungie and CDPR both for probably under $15 billion. If I were Jim those two would honestly be the top two targets for me. One gives you big service style FPS titles with some of the best gameplay in the industry - the other gives you huge open world single player AAA titles.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
So even with Activision, Xbox total revenue still just makes them the third largest publisher, with PlayStation still number one.

They will because being #1 is most certainly not set in stone YoY. I expect it to change if Sony doesn't act. I'm not saying go out and buy Take 2, but they will need to push into the PC space more aggressively because I fully expect MSFT to take that #1 spot if they lock up CoD. Day and date release on Steam will help too.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I set up a racing cockpit setup for my father-in-law yesterday with an LG C1 OLED, Thrustmaster T-GT II, and a really high-quality cockpit. The thing is, I didn't want to have him spend like $800+ for a PS5, so I told him we'll just use my PS4 until PS5 is more readily available. The thing is, I forgot how low resolution games are on base PS4 and especially how hard cross-gen hit it.

For instance, the best looking game we've played so far is GT Sport. It doesn't look amazing, but much better than the rest. It also is incredible with the wheel and cockpit setup, and has fantastic HDR. Driveclub is not too bad but the IQ is really rough.

On the other end of the spectrum, Dirt 5 is unbelievably bad. I thought it had disappointing visuals on PS5, but you literally can barely see anything on the PS4 version when you're up close to the display like that in a cockpit. I had to stop after five minutes because of it. It also had bad load times. WRC9 looked better, but it had literally the longest load times I ever remember. It took literal minutes to load up the race.

Needless to say, for such a [relatively] high-end setup, the PS4 in 2022 does not do it justice, lol.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
What if Sony should form a strategic partnership with a megacorp like Google, Disney, Apple, or Amazon?
I think Sony is going to focus alot on new studios, we've seen a few partnerships announced already and who knows what's been put in contracts and stuff like that. Game releases is a success and buy it before MS gets the chance.... Who knows, today is crazy.

Jul 25, 2020
Not to jump too much into this, but do you remember what gaming was like as kid? I got one console every six or seven years and maybe one game every five or six months, with another on my birthday.

They'd have every right to be upset, honestly. I certainly wouldn't have learned a lesson about corporations, lol

This, this, this and this.

My childhood was PlayStation through and through. Because it's all my parents could afford. It went down in price well enough, there was always something within budget.

As an adult I have far too many things to pay for. I'm not made of money and I've had to work for every damn thing I own. Nobody has helped me. Not because they didn't want too but because they couldn't.

I have a mortgage to pay for. All the bills that come with it. Pet insurance. A child that grows and eats me out of house and home. A family car on finance because of course, we don't have £10,000+ spare for a car. The costs of running said car.

I don't have the luxury of affording several consoles and if it wasn't for incredible friends and family for my 30th in 2020, I would never have been able to afford a PS5. Not till it come down another hundred to a hundred and fifty pounds.

Honestly it's just a dick move from Microsoft. This industry is heading towards consolidation and it's sad, depressing and unfavorable all round. Very anti consumer. And yeah Sony have bought some developers, but they haven't bought two publishers, a large amount of studios and IP and they certainly aren't looking to take IP that's been multiplatform for years, in some cases, decades and remove it from competing platforms. Honestly, dick move.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

Those placements will shift quickly once COD is no longer providing revenue to SIE in the form of lost game sales and PS+ subs.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. If they are looking towards Japan, it's SE, Capcom, or SEGA. I feel like the former is the most likely but who knows. I have a bad feeling that the people at the top of Sony don't want to spend the kind of money to stay on top so they're doing these cheap half measures like timed exclusives but that won't really do anything
They were doing these timed exclusives regardless of what has happened since those deals were inked, so these would have been full measures as far as Sony was concerned. They may have started assessing the state of different publishers long ago for all we know, these kinds of deals take a long time to happen. Even if they announce more timed exclusive deals including the next Rockstar game (it's feasible), those wouldn't be some small thing.

Nahhhhhhh It's way too kneejerk with the current situation haha. I'd rather not have such a title, but it is somewhat fitting so considering TLOU Hbo series (and with the amount this reference/comparison has been made) :p
That's kind of what I thought you meant by it anyway.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
The only response I can see sony doing is buying bungie and the destiny ip. Nothing else can compete with Call of Duty.
It appears they want to stay independent. And even if they wouldn't, they are really close with Xbox right now, and Phil Spencer loves them. Not to mention that they would be insanely expensive for a singular developer. Would be one of the biggest Sony acquisitions to date. It's not happening.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
PlayStation doesnt sell 100 Million consoles because they are making game of the year tier games, they are selling 100 Million consoles because of Call of Duty, GTA and Fifa, and now they are going to lose one of those sources.
Sony are left with 3 options on the matter:

Acquire Take Two to make sure GTA is on their platform and not their competitors, use Zynga to kickstart their mobile initiative and have another huge active sports franchise (albeit that one wont be exclusive), this is following MS's loss leading strategy and is a very risky move but a necessary one if they want to remain highly competitive in the same space as MS.
Acquire Square Enix and/or Capcom and go in the way of the Nintendo, cater to a 30 Million niche fanbase at high margins even at the cost of MS potentially keeping on buying in the west and suffocate out the rest of the 70 Million console base.
Staying with their own lineup only wont be enough, the size of that fanbase is too small to self sustain their console, so the third option is to just let MS have Game Pass on PlayStation and get the MS FP games through that.
This…is dire. Like none of those options are good. And Take2 could arguably cost more than Acti or close to it because of GTA alone. Their stock is at like $152 a share currently. Sony legit cannot afford that. Not for PlayStation. Square is more realistic or Capcom. But currently the best strategy is to buy marketing and timed exclusives. That's all they can do. Buying a successful publisher that makes probably 40% of their revenue from Xbox platforms isn't the play.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I needed to see this thread just to clean my eyes out from the news today. Recently got Demon Souls remaster and holy MOLY does to look gorgeous. Best visuals I have seen in a game in my entire life. Great time to be alive.
Great remake. I'm just about two thirds of the way through Ghost of Tsushima on PS5, can't believe how good it looks at times considering it was made for PS4.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This, this, this and this.

My childhood was PlayStation through and through. Because it's all my parents could afford. It went down in price well enough, there was always something within budget.

As an adult I have far too many things to pay for. I'm not made of money and I've had to work for every damn thing I own. Nobody has helped me. Not because they didn't want too but because they couldn't.

I have a mortgage to pay for. All the bills that come with it. Pet insurance. A child that grows and eats me out of house and home. A family car on finance because of course, we don't have £10,000+ spare for a car. The costs of running said car.

I don't have the luxury of affording several consoles and if it wasn't for incredible friends and family for my 30th in 2020, I would never have been able to afford a PS5. Not till it come down another hundred to a hundred and fifty pounds.

Honestly it's just a dick move from Microsoft. This industry is heading towards consolidation and it's sad, depressing and unfavorable all round. Very anti consumer. And yeah Sony have bought some developers, but they haven't bought two publishers, a large amount of studios and IP and they certainly aren't looking to take IP that's been multiplatform for years, in some cases, decades and remove it from competing platforms. Honestly, dick move.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.