Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
No doom-posting for me. I've accepted where naughty dog has been going for a while now. I'll still more or less play most of their games they release from here on out though. Looking forward to see what announcements Sony makes for the rest of the year.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
AXppvWl.gif

Sony show any day now...

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I'm expecting this week is Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut. Hope the expansion is good.

Oct 28, 2017
If your actually curious and not looking to jump on me lol, I'm still not happy about what happened to Amy Hennig. After seeing the OT title of directors cut I'm reminded of how I felt when all that played out. I'm also reminded of bits and pieces that were leaked from her script that I read at the time. Personally, I really wish Amy had gotten the opportunity to finish the (apparently) final Nathan Drake adventure herself.

why is that? I am not going to sit here and say Amy is a better writer than Neil Druckman. I'm not going to put people against each other like that. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I will say that I personally prefer Amy's writing style over Neil's writing style. I like uncharted 4 a lot but that's because I accepted what it is and not what it was never going to be.

I'm on my phone so I'll just end this here. Naughty Dog still makes some of the best games in the industry and that hasn't changed at all. And I know factions/and last of us part 3 are going to happen but I'd rather they do something new. For example, Savage Starlight?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking from experience, I can't agree more with this.

The pandemic has made our jobs soooooo much harder, and there is only so much you can adapt to. We aren't machines. We're human beings. We have lives and responsibilities outside of making video games, and the pandemic has affected a lot of us in many unforeseen and unexpected ways, both personally and professionally.

I've lost family to this pandemic. I know coworkers who have lost family and friends to this pandemic as well. That stress, on top of the practicalities of trying to make video games from home has had an effect on game development that you guys don't get to see.

And don't even get me started on the technical issues we often face. From VPN and network connection issues that make downloading and uploading large files a nightmare, to trying to accommodate different time zones because some of us are in either another state, and even another country, etc, etc.

Some of you say, "yeah, we know game development is hard, BUT…"

That just speaks to me that no, I'm sorry, you don't know how hard game development is. It's hard during the most ideal circumstances. Navigating that difficulty during a global pandemic has exacerbated it tenfold.

As a professional game designer, I feel other studio's pain in trying to do the best they can to produce fun games for us to play during a crisis.

As a gamer, I'm just grateful that we've even gotten the games we've gotten is year at all. I can't give enough kudos and congrats to the various studios in the industry that managed to ship their games this year so far.

Am I disappointed that some of my most anticipated titles of the year have been pushed back or delayed until next year? Yeah, a tiny little bit, but I can't say I'm upset or angry about it, because, well, I still have a shit ton of games and other things to occupy my time while I wait. I don't need an influx of new announcements to momentarily give me an endorphin and dopamine hit, or to keep my hype going.

Maybe I'm biased, but I just get irked when I see people brushing off the impact that this pandemic has had on the gaming industry. Like, I get it, people want to get hyped about shiny new shit 24/7, but we're only human, and we're all doing the best we can to get these games out the door in the best state they can be in for players to enjoy. It's just been significantly harder than normal, and processes that used to be taken for granted have had to be reevaluated and adapted to fit this new "normal." Tasks that would take, say, moments in the office, can take hours or more when performing them WFH, for example.
Yep so many people don't get it at times I've had some terrible moments at home esp with data caps too I have some data that downloads like at least a 2GB every refresh I do. And that's just one file I work on in my line of work it all adds up on top of speed issues, internet going out etc.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

The pandemic has made our jobs soooooo much harder, and there is only so much you can adapt to. We aren't machines. We're human beings. We have lives and responsibilities outside of making video games, and the pandemic has affected a lot of us in many unforeseen and unexpected ways, both personally and professionally.

I've lost family to this pandemic. I know coworkers who have lost family and friends to this pandemic as well. That stress, on top of the practicalities of trying to make video games from home has had an effect on game development that you guys don't get to see.

And don't even get me started on the technical issues we often face. From VPN and network connection issues that make downloading and uploading large files a nightmare, to trying to accommodate different time zones because some of us are in either another state, and even another country, etc, etc.

That just speaks to me that no, I'm sorry, you don't know how hard game development is. It's hard during the most ideal circumstances. Navigating that difficulty during a global pandemic has exacerbated it tenfold.

As a professional game designer, I feel other studio's pain in trying to do the best they can to produce fun games for us to play during a crisis.

As a gamer, I'm just grateful that we've even gotten the games we've gotten is year at all. I can't give enough kudos and congrats to the various studios in the industry that managed to ship their games this year so far.

Am I disappointed that some of my most anticipated titles of the year have been pushed back or delayed until next year? Yeah, a tiny little bit, but I can't say I'm upset or angry about it, because, well, I still have a shit ton of games and other things to occupy my time while I wait. I don't need an influx of new announcements to momentarily give me an endorphin and dopamine hit, or to keep my hype going.

Maybe I'm biased, but I just get irked when I see people brushing off the impact that this pandemic has had on the gaming industry. Like, I get it, people want to get hyped about shiny new shit 24/7, but we're only human, and we're all doing the best we can to get these games out the door in the best state they can be in for players to enjoy. It's just been significantly harder than normal, and processes that used to be taken for granted have had to be reevaluated and adapted to fit this new "normal." Tasks that would take, say, moments in the office, can take hours or more when performing them WFH, for example.

Thanks for laying this out for everyone, and continuing to push through. Most of us do appreciate it, I think.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Its insane to me that people in 2021 still try to downplay the massive effect COVID has had on game development. I mean devs have being saying this from day one.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Its insane to me that people in 2021 still try to downplay the massive effect COVID has had on game development. I mean devs have being saying this from day one.
Yup. People whining about slower game development just remind me of the folks going to restaurants right now and throwing fits because the service isn't as streamlined as usual. What world are you living in?

Also, like, we're still getting lots of new game releases and the consoles are backwards compatible with thousands of titles. You really need a game to play and you can't find something to tide yourself over til a particular new blockbuster? You're not looking hard enough.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Returnal whew

I'm thinking of going with something more…light hearted. I'm thinking Rift Apart, anybody have impressions on that game? Never played a game in that series

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
Will something big happen like last time a new thread was created? ;3

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Good news! I loaded up Bloodborne again after a several month break and this time I nearly managed to kill the very first enemy encountered in the game! I figure another 2 or 3 tries and I'll finally get it. My Demon's Souls Remake experience is paying off 😁

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
car.jpg

"This OT is just like the one before but with a Sony Showcase announcement and a clever title."

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yep so many people don't get it at times I've had some terrible moments at home esp with data caps too I have some data that downloads like at least a 2GB every refresh I do. And that's just one file I work on in my line of work it all adds up on top of speed issues, internet going out etc.

Seriously! I can't tell you how many times I've had network issues while working from home the past 18 months, and that's just network issues, not including the usual roadblocks and hiccups we face normally!

thank god I don't have data caps with my ISP, or I'd be so, so fucked.

Thanks for laying this out for everyone, and continuing to push through. Most of us do appreciate it, I think.

Thank you for the kind words, and taking the time to read my posts! I really appreciate it!

It really is ridiculous to me. Making video games isn't like pressing a button and suddenly shit works. There are so many moving parts, from so many different departments, and it's difficult enough managing those moving parts when you're all in the same building! Having to do it remotely is another beast entirely!

And yeah, the effect Covid has had on game development can't be stressed enough. Like I've mentioned before, it's amazing to me that we got brand new console hardware from Sony and Microsoft last holiday, let alone hundreds of new games releasing across multiple platforms.

And I don't think the various studios get nearly enough credit and appreciation for pulling that all off during a global pandemic in which millions of people have lost their lives.

Many of us have had to put in extra extra effort and work to make sure these games get out when they get out, and the physical, mental, and emotional cost of that isn't anything to scoff at or downplay.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Reached the final dungeon of Skyward Sword so I'm definitely gonna finish in time to play the new Tsushima when it drops

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is double storage required still a thing on ps5?
I feel like I've had mixed experience with it.

A user commented on one of my videos that he's having trouble installing Mafia 3 (digital version) but seems to have adequate space.

"I Try to install it (this also happens with apex, Battlefront 2, battlefield and warzone) and set it to install to external ssd (currently have 96gb) and it always says no storage in the external storage delete apps but 50% of the time it brings me to the console storage menu. And the weird thing is that it says there's no space but before the download error occurs it takes the storage amount needed for the game. "

I know modern warfare won't install as that exceeds 96gb, but can't explain why Mafia 3 doesn't. (pretty sure it's 60gb)

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Seriously! I can't tell you how many times I've had network issues while working from home the past 18 months, and that's just network issues, not including the usual roadblocks and hiccups we face normally!

thank god I don't have data caps with my ISP, or I'd be so, so fucked.

Thank you for the kind words, and taking the time to read my posts! I really appreciate it!

Honestly, I left the last thread too soon and wouldn't have even seen it if platocplx hadn't quoted it. We both have him to thank.

It really is ridiculous to me. Making video games isn't like pressing a button and suddenly shit works. There are so many moving parts, from so many different departments, and it's difficult enough managing those moving parts when you're all in the same building! Having to do it remotely is another beast entirely!

And yeah, the effect Covid has had on game development can't be stressed enough. Like I've mentioned before, it's amazing to me that we got brand new console hardware from Sony and Microsoft last holiday, let alone hundreds of new games releasing across multiple platforms.

And I don't think the various studios get nearly enough credit and appreciation for pulling that all off during a global pandemic in which millions of people have lost their lives.

Many of us have had to put in extra extra effort and work to make sure these games get out when they get out, and the physical, mental, and emotional cost of that isn't anything to scoff at or downplay.

So game dev can be summarised as:

"Will this break someth-"
"Yes."
"But it's onl-"
"Yes."
"But what if w-"
"Yes."

One thing I did want to know - in your opinion, will the ability to work solely on SSDs do much to make game development easier? I was talking with another developer on Twitter a while back who said the trying to get the game art to fit through the narrow pipe of HDD bandwidth is a very labour-intensive, trial-and-error process that takes up a solid 50% off the art team's time and just makes everything harder. Has that been the case in your experience?

Jul 2, 2021
Can't we talk about how good Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is?
After getting the platinum I went back and downloaded the Ratchet & Clank 2016 game. And even though I still have fun... man is Rift Apart a huge jump in quality.
Rift Apart is so good and so much fun.
GIF-08-06-2021-16-50-17.gif

0711506ee002839b1da2ca40c51711d3f007eb3d.gifv

d00a8e248419fb8ce13710b10a18327b25e8d4fb.gif

More please!

Last edited:

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
Can't we talk about how good Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart it?
After getting the platinum I went back and downloaded the Ratchet & Clank 2016 game. And even though I still have fun... man is Rift Apart a huge jump in quality.
Rift Apart is so good and so much fun.
GIF-08-06-2021-16-50-17.gif

0711506ee002839b1da2ca40c51711d3f007eb3d.gifv

d00a8e248419fb8ce13710b10a18327b25e8d4fb.gif

More please!
Yes I felt the same. I liked in the 2016 one but it really felt quite cynical. Butchered the original story and character development to merge it with a CG movie no one liked (although I haven't seen). This is a return to form and I hope we get another one!

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am starting to get problems with the last few bosses on hard mode in FF7R. Almost out of mp and I have 3 boss fights back to back. Time for a chillout and play some ace attorney.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I have to admit it's kind of weird to see a company as big as From. working on a new IP that will most likely be owned by Sony.

From is much more famous/respected these days than it was back in the days of Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol... Elden Ring and Sekiro look completely different in gameplay. And Elden Ring feels closer to Souls. This non rumor/leak makes no sense.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Has anyone else mentioned the FromSoft rumor apart from Nick and the other guy? Normally you get other insiders going yeah we totally heard it too on something like this.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I have to admit it's kind of weird to see a company as big as From. working on a new IP that will most likely be owned by Sony.

From is much more famous/respected these days than it was back in the days of Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

Their relationship has always been great and Sony owns part of their parent company right? Not much but still... there's investment from their part.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
New thread baby!

Here's to some news happening eventually at some point in our time-space continuum from Herman and Jim! :)

But in the meantime, let's enjoy some great games. Still need to play Spiderman and God Of War.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Their relationship has always been great

Yeah, especially when they absolutely ditched FromSoftware during the release of Demon's Souls outside of Japan and let Atlus and Bandai save them. Shuhei calling the game bad close to release. Sony crawling back to get Bloodborne when they saw that Souls games are taking off. Such a great relationship 😂 But hey, they probably pay a lot now so the financial relationship is pretty good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.