• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
$60 year? That's cheap.... too cheap. 🤔

They better have their tech at its best for all the folks that are about to join and stream away.

I wonder if they made the full migration to Microsoft's servers. That would make sense if they feel ready to handle much more streams, from this new deal.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Ok it's less competitive then , having first party + multiplats day one is a big deal ps now don't have this, which makes it the inferior service, even at price parity.

That is in the imaginary world where the exclusives between services have the same perceived value. This is highly personal but by and large you'd find it to be incorrect. PS Now also has streaming as part of the package, even to PC. Who knows what multiplatform deals will emerge.

Not less competitive. Different. Which is okay.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
How much money either service makes for either company is not my problem. What matters to me is what I am getting for my money.

Unless you own shares in Microsoft or Sony why would you care?
Why would someone who had shares in MS or Sony care about what 1 single consumer does. Sorry I had to 😝

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is a clear move against Stadia. At least PlayStation Now is finally a serious option for the masses with those prices now

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
A much better price. I don't own an Xbox One, but I've been envious of Game Pass.

Looking over the list of downloadable PS4 games I notice a number of Sony 1st party titles that I feel should be on there-
-Ratchet & Clank (2016)
-Uncharted 1-3 (PS4 versions)
-The Last of Us (PS4)
-The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4)
-Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 remake)
-Horizon: Zero Dawn (it's always on sale including this week- $15 for the complete version)
-Knack 2
-Everybody's Golf
-The Order 1886

Oct 25, 2017
This post is all kinds of wrong.

Microsoft isn't moving to an entirely sub model. Game Pass is an option, they're actually giving more choices to buy their games than ever before with Steam etc. And they will always want to sell third party games in their platform and ecosystem.

And Nintendo isn't a fully traditional model, given you get NES/SNES/Tetris 99 games only via their subscription service, and that's just the start.
It is beyond clear where their priority is with their releases.

Try again.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
This was inevitable that Sony will cave to market pressure. But even then its still not enough to give incentive to subscribe to the service.

If PSNow wants to retain subscribers they need be Far more aggressive like Microsoft is being. But course the economics for Sony is different with Microsoft since MS can sustain Game Pass much longer while in investment mode. I really don't understand the need to be profitable the moment things are released.

Sony's desperate need for profit on PSNow is what will limit PSNow.

Oct 25, 2017
This was inevitable that Sony will cave to market pressure. But even then its still not enough to give incentive to subscribe to the service.

If PSNow wants to retain subscribers they need be Far more aggressive like Microsoft is being. But course the economics for Sony is different with Microsoft since MS can sustain Game Pass much longer while in investment mode. I really don't understand the need to be profitable the moment things are released.

I mean, their games are selling several millions close to launch. You don't just throw all that money away.

They test the waters like they are now to see what they can add to the pile.

MS went full steam ahead because their releases weren't bringing in tons of revenue at launch.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kodera is in charge of PS Now right? Interesting to see these big changes right after Layden leaves but I guess its cause its the end of the quarter.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
When your games have this kind of pull, putting it on a service day one for peanuts is a little more than a fanboy's wet dream.
Except it wouldn't be "peanuts". Not counting the recent sales to get people into the service, the yearly cost of a Game Pass subscription was roughly the equivalent of two full MSRP priced games a year, which is likely more than the average person would buy.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Nice to see Sony trying to be a bit more competitive here. I'm tempted to subscribe, just to try out the service for a while.

It makes me wonder whether this is them trying to earn some PSNow goodwill, leading up to the PS5 launch. It could be a great move if they make some big announcements for the service next year (E3?).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The streaming aspect is still trash for the PS3 games and having major first party PS4 titles only available for a limited time means I'll pass.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Sony has a very clear vision. It's the same thing that movie theaters are doing tbh. Sure, you could put the movies on Netflix day one. But are those movies any good?

PlayStation games are like The Joker, Ad Astra, a Marvel movie etc. You know, big budget, expensive movies.

Sure, a lot of people are going to wait until on demand or a streaming services to watch those movies, but imagine if a marvel movie was put on a streaming service? Can't have that kind of devaluation for an IP that prestige. Board members would lose their minds.

Why are you trolling so hard in this thread? Your sarcasm is not even that funny. Can't believe people are taking you seriously. Guess they haven't seen you post before.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Unless you dont have a PS4, the only thing you would really need to stream would be PS3 games and the vast majority of those are 720p or thereabouts

Don't have any consoles, was looking into giving the Uncharted series a try, but if I can't stream those in 1080p, I kind of don't care to bother as I've enough games as it is. :D

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this in their FAQ about PS Now streaming when I was confirming that it was indeed limited to 720p as noted here, and man this would really make some folks upset that try this service for the streaming and encounter this:

Why is there a queue for the game I want to play?
Streaming users may be required to wait to gain access to certain titles during periods of high traffic.
If you're ever in a queue on PS4, you can press the PS button to go back to the main menu and use any PlayStation 4 functions while you wait. You will be notified when you reach the front of the queue.
Alternatively, start downloading a PS4 game to your console immediately.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Kodera is in charge of PS Now right? Interesting to see these big changes right after Layden leaves but I guess its cause its the end of the quarter.
Kodera works on digital transformation and PSN
I think that the acquisition stuff and PS Now push are from Jim Ryan, since he announced those during IR Day in May 2019 (and probably the continuation of the work of Shawn and Kodera when he was CEO of SIE during one year)

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you've tried PSNow you know it's not that great.

I've had PS Now most of the year. It works great.

PSNow is more attractive than Game Pass because of temporary first party when you don't know when it's going to be added. Sure, ok.

Better games are better games. It doesn't matter if the MS games are their day one if you'd rather play the PS Now games.

More seriously, you're comparing game sales to players which is meaningless. The point is to get 10s of millions of people paying you each month. That vastly outweighs any single game's sales. It's preferable to have 0 day one sales and 30 million subs, in terms of making more money. And I hate to break it to you, but these companies only have one purpose in the long term...

This is incredibly ignorant. All the revenue from a subscription service doesn't go into a single title in the library.

I subscribed when Amazon had the freak sale in March, and I wasn't going to resubscribe for the normal price, but I might jump at the new price. The service is pretty good now. I've been streaming Katamari Forever and I can't tell the difference between playing on a real PS3.

Yeah, I jumped on that deal and it's been awesome. A real steal. The lag has been a non-issue and the stream quality is shockingly good even in games like Metal Gear Revengeance.

While Crackdown 3 has a multiplayer, it's sure as hell not "a multiplayer game".

The multiplayer was the only mode with the vaunted total destructibility. Having multiplayer that is a throwaway side mode wasn't exactly plan A for the title. The only reason it's not GAAS out the ass is because the project was such a bust overall.

Yeah its an odd thing to see.

Wanting your hobby and favorite creators to have a financially sustainable future isn't odd.

Umm Disney Plus (Streaming service) is giving Marvel Shows the same budget as their movies...

And yet the movies are still theatrical releases with streaming coming only after they've made that money.

We know it likely cost MS $19 million to get DMC5 and that's a huge marquee title. So what do you think their monthly licensing budget is? Maybe $30 million or so? That's peanuts compared to the potential subscriber revenue.

The budget isn't fixed. The more subs they have the more they have to pay in licensing. It's probably a large percentage of their revenue. I'd imagine it's over 70%. There are hundreds of developers and publishers getting a piece.

You still have to have either a PS4 or a Windows PC, right? Wonder why I can't do this on an iPad or Apple TV?

That's a question for Apple. They have their own subscription games service now, so it's not hard to imagine why they might be reluctant to approve apps that directly compete with that. Same goes for Google.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I mean, their games are selling several millions close to launch. You don't just throw all that money away.

They test the waters like they are now to see what they can add to the pile.

MS went full steam ahead because their releases weren't bringing in tons of revenue at launch.

That logic doesn't work since GP is brining in less revenue.

Xbox is simply following the whole MS business model. But they are doing it in a way to gain big subscribers and market share and competing in a way that they know no gaming company can compete with.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
new games just appeared on the PC client. lets see how this runs on a fiber connection...

2AFzGdS.jpg

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not sure we can say they're desperate for profit when they've just cut monthly prices in half.

But if we're talking about the model of 3-month windows of access to 'marquee' games, I think it might be the opposite - not a limit, but actually breaking down a barrier to certain games becoming available on subscription.

Sony WWS is probably not the only publisher hesitant to put certain games readily on subscription - maybe this model is aimed at all 'hesitant' publishers, and the games they might not have previously considered for a service like this.

If this model unlocks dozens of such games on subscription over a year, dozens of 'big' prestige games not available on other services, then I think that would be removing a limit in the space. And would make PSNow distinctively 'good' in its own right among the subscription options - unless and until others adopt a similar model anyway.

Let's see what happens, but I think it's an interesting, different approach that might lead to different kind of offering for us, if Sony executes on it properly, and attracts such content.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's because their output has been shite for years. Gears 5 is an exception. They won't have any games of that caliber anytime
That's because their output has been shite for years. Gears 5 is an exception. They won't have any games of that caliber anytime soon.

I definitely won't fault anyone not feeling MS's output this gen. But Halo is next year and apparently Fable after that and that's of what we know.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you trolling so hard in this thread? Your sarcasm is not even that funny. Can't believe people are taking you seriously. Guess they haven't seen you post before.

Sad part is, hes mostly right. Would Avengers Endgame or Spider-Man FFH have launched day 1 on Disney+ if that service was already going? Of course not, they want that billion dollars (or more) off the top, and then they can push home releases a few months later along with the sub, both of which are much closer in cost than with a videogame retail release and a month of subscription.

The difference with Disney+ and PSNow is that video games dont have a theatrical run, so they rely completely on the retail release (in effect, the "theatrical run" and home release are combined for video games). Throw games on the subscription platform at the same time as the retail release? Those 3-5 million week one sales would crater almost instantly because there is a much cheaper, easier way to get the EXACT SAME experience. MS can take this gamble because their platform is less than half the size of the competition and their FP software doesnt seem to be expanding their audience/base as much as it does for Sony (less hype, lower metacritics, lower sales). There is absolutely no way that MS would be going this route if their first party software was pushing 3 million copies in their first week, anyone who suggested they do that would be chased out of the board room.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if that is legit that it is only 720p streaming then I guess I am out on caring too.
Don't have any consoles, was looking into giving the Uncharted series a try, but if I can't stream those in 1080p, I kind of don't care to bother as I've enough games as it is. :D

FYI, xCloud was demo'd 720p streaming at this past E3. I believe, like Sony, they are trying to get their streaming services to 1080p and above in the future. You can only do remote play at 1080p streaming which means a PS4 is required.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Mark my words, we're going to see a PS Ultimate service that's PS+ and PS Now wrapped into one package come PS5.

You dont need PS+ to play online multiplayer for games in PSNow. They will likely keep them separate, unless there is a massive shakeup planned for both services.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
You dont need PS+ to play online multiplayer for games in PSNow. They will likely keep them separate.

I'm not saying you need PS+ to play online games in PS Now. I'm saying that Sony is going to bundle them together as a "premium tier" subscription service at a discounted rate (i.e. $100/yr).

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That logic doesn't work since GP is brining in less revenue.

Xbox is simply following the whole MS business model. But they are doing it in a way to gain big subscribers and market share and competing in a way that they know no gaming company can compete with.

You can see that this is clearly not true as almost every major game publisher is pursuing a game streaming service currently: GamePass, PS Now, EA Access, U-Play+, etc.

Xbox revenue being down is a sign of how much Microsoft is investing in GamePass, not a reflection of it being less profitable. As many are quick to point out when there is positive news about GamePass' subscriber count, 'They are practically giving it away for free!'

These subscription services just get more profitable as they become more and more popular. These services are being designed to expand the gaming market to those without dedicated hardware. We will start to see the fruits of these subscription services as game streaming becomes more prominent.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The service is now way cheaper than GP lol

$60 for a year! GP is $180