• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
No Legend of Dragoon, shame. Not liking the rest of the list much either but LoD would've made me buy.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
You were expecting an RPG-box with some side orders from other genres?

That was just never going to happen.

I would certainly not expect that. That list is just a selection of games of which they could have chosen at least ONE title from. The games they chose are mostly b-sides and I'm sticking to that.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. I really expected to see a higher proportion of well-trod titles. It's pretty unlikely I'll be willing to spend the money but I'm more here for it than expected. The JP version is especially tempting.

Fuck man, I even would be more excited if they put some cool obscure shit on there like No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!

But instead they go with a game like Rainbow Six. Because that should be fun to go in this day and age
Sony, it's not too late to rectify this mistake!

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty scummy of Sony to put out that initial list of five games to make this thing look promising, open pre-orders and then unleash this list of mediocrity at best.

What a crappy thing to do.
Oh you mean on something that you can cancelled anytime you want or still over a moth away like really?

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I'm still looking forward to this thing (I legit unironically love Revelations: Persona) but this list of included games is, uh, unconventional.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I said this...

It's very, very slim chance but...

I wanted this in one of the 20 games preloaded.

6089_front.jpg

Everyone could experience the horrendous loading times, first person dungeon crawling, slow battle speed, Americanized Japanese characters & setting, and pray no enemies Mudo your entire party while far from August Tree (save point), lol.

At least it has the original music.

This game has it charms.

I won the lottery somewhat.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cancelled my preorder, sadly. Not enough games I care about, as most of the ones I liked I already have on my Vita. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be cancelling an order on something like this. Hope the rest of you all enjoy it!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many casual fans are going to flip this box over looking for Tony Hawk...

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know man this list is kinda weak to me. All of 20 titles, these are probably game I'm actually going to play

• Battle Arena Toshinden™
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Mr. Driller
  • Rayman
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo®
  • Tekken 3
  • Wild Arms

Some of those games I also owned on PS3. I'm leaning toward canceling my order now.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's uhh... pretty iffy.

Definitely glad I didn't pre-order, that's just not $100 worth of games I'm interested in.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
No silent hill, Tomb Raider, or Crash!?

I didn't grow up with psx (I had n64), so I can't tell if this is a good list. I already own ff Vll and MGS on ps3, so I don't see much here that makes me want to buy at full price. I might buy on sale and mod it.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda sad it doesn't have Die Hard Trilogy on it either. I have fond memories of playing that with my dad; he would do the shooting levels and i'd do the driving levels.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
This is total bait-and-switch. Show a promising lineup and then completely under deliver after people put up pre-orders, some of which ask for money up front.

Totally lame.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
Cancelled my preorder, sadly. Not enough games I care about, as most of the ones I liked I already have on my Vita. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd be cancelling an order on something like this. Hope the rest of you all enjoy it!

That's how I feel too. Going to cancel my preorder as well and can just play some of these on my Vita if I wanted to.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Persona made the cut. Really surprised actually.

Other than that, kinda mediocre list.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese lineup is pretty great for me. Hopefully I can get an order in for one of those.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I think the thing for me is that I've seen or played pretty much all of those games you've listed before and I'm kinda done with them? In a way, the more obscure choices like Mr. Driller and Persona 1 are more interesting because I've never played, or even really seen, them before. If I wanted to play Crash again, I'd just get the new remakes.

Granted, it also helps that a lot of my PS1 nostalgia is for games like Oddworld, Rayman and FFVII

See and I think those 3 games are very representative of the system. I'm not saying this should be a popularity contest as I never even played Oddworld or Rayman but those games did well despite not being megaton hits (I mean, both series still exist today) and I feel like they were both pervasive in that you would always hear about them. They were critical darlings in an age where gaming magazines were still the dominant way to learn about games. Also, if you really want to play Persona 1 I would suggest trying to track down a way to play the PSP version or a fan translated version of the JP PS1 version as the US PS1 version is awful. During translation they took some major liberties with the script that were all for the worse and they cut out a substantial alternate storyline from the game.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
You were expecting an RPG-box with some side orders from other genres?

That was just never going to happen.
This. I'd love a mostly JRPG box but it was never happening. JRPGs got a nice amount of slots (even if I'd like one more in place of Rainbow Six, like Parasite Eve since it's in the Japanese one and it's pretty notable in the US, or Xenogears). I also agree, the original Tomb Raider is the main big surprise absence.

Wow. I'm shocked how much I dislike the final list. I can't believe this is the full list and it didn't include Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy VIII, Parasite Eve(US), Tomb Raider, etc.
It'd be great, but I don't think FF8 was ever happening. At this point it seems clear that S-E likely wants to make that release more of an event like when they announced FF7 PS1 for PS4 on Sony's stage. And all three would be deserving but then, unlike for the Japanese version of this, people would also complain JRPGs have like 5 out of 20 slots instead of 3 lol.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by how the reaction to this thing seems mostly positive. I realize that everyone's tastes are different but this lineup of games is in my view... mediocre at best. I get that Toshinden is an important for PlayStation but... it's an absolutely rotten video game. Then there's stuff where they absolutely should include a game from the series but they chose the wrong one like Persona, Twisted Metal GTA, etc. Then there's games that are great games but kind of oddball choices in terms of games that represent the PlayStation like Rainbow Six, Super Puzzle Fighter, Mr Driller, etc. Then I look at stuff like Revelations: Persona and think not only is that not the Persona game you want but based on that name I'm going to guess that it's the original US version of the game which was a terrible version of that game. This collection just begs the question of where's Bushido Blade, Wipeout, SOTN, Crash, Spyro, Parappa, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Soul Blade, Street Fighter Alpha 3, THPS and I don't even love all of those games but those are more representative of the PlayStation than a large chunk of the games on this thing. I hope the people who buy this enjoy it because obviously for some people this thing is representative of the PlayStation but I don't think this is for me which is a shame because I was pretty excited for it. This feels more like the NES Classic than the SNES classic where it's a list of games that kind of represents the system but mostly is a list built out of convenience
Because alto of people know tis impossible to satisfied everyone and the many issues that comes with much older games.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I think the biggest issue with this is that after the Snes mini the expectation can be a little bit high (because it included only completely classic games with maybe the exception of Kirby's Dream Course), while here there is some filler (Toshinden, Rainbow Six), weird inclusions that don't make sense (Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby 1 instead of a sequel), games that are not that relevant even if they are good (Mr Driller, Jumping Flash, Cool Boarders 2, Rayman) and some games that are really well remembered and popular are missing (Tomb Raider, SOTN, Driver, Medal of Honor, Wipeout 2/3, a second Square RPG, etc). All of that excluding licence issues or Activision.
Hey I played the heck out of Cool Boarders 2 and considering it had so many sequels I'm thinking it's not that irrelevant.

Oct 28, 2017
No Tomb Raider. No Spyro. No Crash. No Wipeout. No Silent Hill. No Driver. No a lot of things. It's fucking disgusting that we can't play PS1 games on PS4 so that Sony can sell this trash.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised by how the reaction to this thing seems mostly positive. I realize that everyone's tastes are different but this lineup of games is in my view... mediocre at best. I get that Toshinden is an important for PlayStation but... it's an absolutely rotten video game. Then there's stuff where they absolutely should include a game from the series but they chose the wrong one like Persona, Twisted Metal GTA, etc. Then there's games that are great games but kind of oddball choices in terms of games that represent the PlayStation like Rainbow Six, Super Puzzle Fighter, Mr Driller, etc. Then I look at stuff like Revelations: Persona and think not only is that not the Persona game you want but based on that name I'm going to guess that it's the original US version of the game which was a terrible version of that game. This collection just begs the question of where's Bushido Blade, Wipeout, SOTN, Crash, Spyro, Parappa, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Soul Blade, Street Fighter Alpha 3, THPS and I don't even love all of those games but those are more representative of the PlayStation than a large chunk of the games on this thing. I hope the people who buy this enjoy it because obviously for some people this thing is representative of the PlayStation but I don't think this is for me which is a shame because I was pretty excited for it. This feels more like the NES Classic than the SNES classic where it's a list of games that kind of represents the system but mostly is a list built out of convenience

What were they going to do ? Not include Persona because it isn't the best version ? FF7 also isn't the best version on PS1.

Persona has cemented itself as a classic on the Playstation, I think it's entirely warranted that it deserves a spot on the line-up. If people don't like it, that's fine, but this is clearly a game from a series that a lot of people would be interested to discover.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
And I totally forgot that it's $99!

$99?! For this?! You're crazy, Sony.

You can just buy the four worthwhile games for $4.99 a pop on PSN.

This is a joke.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Given how many classics are there on ps1, I'm happy with the list. And in due time I'm sure we will be able yo add more games purchased from psn (like transfer from vita or smthng).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Director's Cut instead of RE2/3 is dumb too.

That's not dumb at all. The original RE is still considered a must-play classic. It's also never been re-released outside of a DS port with the correct music, while RE2 has been playable on PSP, PS3 and Vita.

It was also expected that there would only be one game per series. And they would obviously never put RE3 over 1 or 2.

RE1 was the correct choice.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre lineup, but if this thing is hackeable I'll buy one so I can replay Musashi, Chrono Cross and MM Legends for the 100th time.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
As someone who mostly just played fighting games and RPGs on my PS1 this is a disappointing list, only 5 games i'm interested here, very uninspiring.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Its missing way to many

Tomb Raider 2
Silent Hill
Tony Hawk's
Soul Reaver
Ape Escape
PaRappa the Rapper
Driver
G Police
Mega Man Legends

and to many RPG missing

i know they remakes but still be welcome

Spyro the Dragon
Crash

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ITT People don't understand licensing

This is total bait-and-switch. Show a promising lineup and then completely under deliver after people put up pre-orders, some of which ask for money up front.

Totally lame.

You...you do know you can cancel a preorder, even if they asked for all of it up-front, right?

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, not the classics I would look for in a machine like this.

Will keep an eye on the tech breakdown of this unit post launch to see what can be hacked into the machine and how much space it has.

A bit disappointed though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
As someone who mostly just played fighting games and RPGs on my PS1 this is a disappointing list, only 5 games i'm interested here, very uninspiring.

I mean, if you only played two genres then yeah. There was no way to not disappoint you in a way that wasn't illogical for Sony. The list is disappointing but they have likely the two biggest games from the genres you mentioned.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
It's surprising to see no Tomb Raiders.
I thought it was one of the most iconic games during PS1 era.