spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The truth is that library of games is too large, and too varied, to only have twenty games on the system. It needed to come loaded with 40 games (and they would still only be scratching the surface).

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If Crash and Spyro aren't there despite their significance due to the remakes, I'll take the lack of Crash Racing as a sign that a remake is on the way.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Good list, a decent mix of genres with more focus on JRPGs than expected. Some big omissions on there, personally, but some make sense due to licensing (THPS, Gran Turismo, I think the later Wipeout games) or re-releases (Medievil, Crash, Spyro, SotN). Genuinely surprised to not see a single Tomb Raider game on there, unless Square Enix have got bigger plans for the classic games. Doubt it, though.

Nov 18, 2017
The real crime is the lack of any real Mario kart competitor.

I guess they cant do TCR if that's the next game getting remade after spyro

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing games, would be hard to get everything in there.

MGS
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Final Fantasy VII

DAMN

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We need decent journalists to ask Sony directly

"Umm Sony, this list is great and all but...umm...can you confirm the internal storage size and whether we can hack this thing to bits and rip our own PS1 games on there. You know... hypothetically"

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, real swing and miss here by Sony. I was on the fence as it is due to the price and the fact that I have a Vita and played a lot of the PS1 classics I wanted to over the years, but this doesn't move the needle for me.

Will be interesting if they can add games to it in the future w/ a USB drive or something, but if this is the final list, it's a major disappointment.

Also, as people are pointing out, MGS w/out a dual shock will be interesting to say the least.

I'm going to look at this from a positive view: this should be the first time the original Resident Evil has been re-released with the original music, right? (Other than the DS port.)

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the hate for the list, I think it's a pretty good list, could there be other games I want absolutely

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people are really in their bubble when it comes to this kind of stuff.

This releases in December - it's meant to be a semi stocking filler for the masses at Christmas. 'Hey, I remember you liked Playstation back in the day, here you go.' Those complaining about missing out on the Japanese titles, would someone on the street that has a passing nostalgia of Playstation in the US/ EU even know those titles? No.

They would however have the same questions we do of where is Tony Hawk, GT, Crash, Spyro, Tomb Raider, Wipeout - which is a shame, being immersed in this we can speculate business reasons but that's hard to explain to the general public. They are hitting some big ones with Abes Odyssey, Tekken 3, MGS, Resident Evil, Rayman, Syphon Filter and FFVII though. Rainbow 6 and Intelligent Qube are the real weird jokers though...

They have fucking Revelations:Persona and BAT.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Debating about canceling as well and using the money to get some Black Friday games instead.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good list, but I'm not sure I'll buy one. I just don't think I'd use it considering all the other games I have to play.

I'm happy that lots of people will get to experience Intelligent Qube for the first time.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After thinking, I've just cancelled my preorder. Apart from Tekken 3 I am not interested with any game on that list. There are so many big hitter games on PS that is not there.

Even if one of MediEvil, Spyro, Crash Team Racing or Kula World made it, I would have kept my preorder. There are other PS1 games I want on there, but they're all 3rd party and had no chance.

Oct 30, 2017
I personally think games that are remastered don't need to be on this. So things like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy 7 don't need to be part of this list.

Persona 1 was a good idea as that series is popular now it would be a good way to get people to check it out. In fact they should have released more games that would have got a 2nd look at due to the franchise being more popular. I would have gone with Xenogears due to Xenoblade being bigger.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I typed out the Japanese PlayStation list in alphabetical order with their English localized titles:
• Arc the Lad
• Arc the Lad II
• Armored Core
• Battle Arena Toshinden
• Devil Dice
• Final Fantasy VII
• G-Darius
• Gradius Gaiden
• I.Q.: Intelligent Qube
• Jumping Flash!
• Mr. Driller
• Metal Gear Solid
• Parasite Eve
• R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
• Resident Evil
• Revelations: Persona
• SaGa Frontier
• Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
• Tekken 3
• Wild Arms

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, MML1 and 2, Gran Turismo 2, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, RE 1, 2 and 3,Dino Crisis 2, SOTN, Tomba 1 and 2, Tomb Raider 1, Tekken 3, MGS1, Crash Bandicoot 2, and Crash Team Racing.

Make that Sony Classic.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's got the problem of Nintendo's classic systems in that they keep including the first game in the series over their superior sequels. Who's asking for Persona 1 over Persona 2? Or Twisted Metal 1 over Twisted Metal 2?
IMO the problem of this selection isn't what game in a sereis was picked but the absence of some of the most iconic franchises for PS1.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No Mega Man, Resident Evil 2, Grandia, Brave Fencer Musashi, Einhander, or a Breath of Fire?

It's like they went out of their way to not get any of the games I associate with the PSX except FF7 and MGS. Hard pass.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
decent list, but I think I will cancel my preorder, but a lot of those games I have in some sort of HD/remaster form.

I was waiting for freaking Silent hill

Exactly my thoughts. No Silent Hill or Die Hard Trilogy, no buy.

Edit: I'll be damned though, watching that trailer and seeing those graphics hit all the right nostalgia notes from when I played on my brothers PlayStation back in the day.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Cancelled my preorder. Was kind of on the fence anyway given the price and the small amount of time I actually used my NES and SNES mini. Already have ways to play the games on that list that I want.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
No Resident Evil 2 ?
No Final Fantasy IX ?
Pass.
I think Tactics had a better shot due to being a totally different type from FFVII, since FFVII is guaranteed a slot in this kind of thing.

A late gen gem from another series like Chrono Cross (or Xenogears) would have been pretty cool though. But JRPGs did already get a number of slots so that probably wasn't doable without complaints from US non-JRPG fans. There's so many I'd want lol.

Not a bad list, though I'm a bit surprised by the inclusion of Persona 1.
Yeah I kind of love it being one of the totally out of left field choices. I quite liked that game.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Japanese list most. And quite frankly I dont see why it's a huge contrast when a lot of the games there released here

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Exclusive to Japan:
• Arc the Lad
• Arc the Lad II
• Armored Core
• Devil Dice
• G-Darius
• Gradius Gaiden
• Parasite Eve
• SaGa Frontier

Exclusive to North America and Europe:
• Cool Boarders 2
• Destruction Derby
• Grand Theft Auto
• Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
• Rayman
• Syphon Filter
• Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
• Twisted Metal

Included in both versions of the PlayStation Classic:
• Battle Arena Toshinden
• Final Fantasy VII
• I.Q.: Intelligent Qube
• Jumping Flash!
• Mr. Driller
• Metal Gear Solid
• Persona (Revelations: Persona)
• R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
• Resident Evil
• Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
• Tekken 3
• Wild Arms

Last edited:

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think this is for me. I still have most of this stuff in perfect working order or as PSN downloads. Might look into importing the Japanese one.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Is cool boarders 2 any good? I was expecting Tony Hawk or 3xtreme.
And why not Twisted Metal 2?

From the EU list, there are like 7 games I'm interested in, so, not bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, thinking about it more, there's Crash Team Racing, WipeOut and Driver missing among others. Die Hard Trilogy was never realistic probably, but there's some shocking omissions imho. I do expect to pick it up though.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's going to he hard to have only 20 PlayStation games due to so many great PS1 games, but this is not a great list. Not having atleast one Crash game is like not having Mario 64 on the N64 classic.

During PS1 and PS2 era, Sony did not have a lot of great fully owned IPs which they invest significantly during PS3 era and flourished during PS4 gen. Third party licenses can be costly, which is why Nintendo can have more variety of great games for their NES Classic, SNES Classic and likely N64(Rare issue) classic due to owning most IPs on those systems.

Edit: Not one Tomb Raider game? There's more defining PS1 games they missed that were very popular on that system. I hope people who are new to the PS1 system(younger gamers mostly who might be interested in learning more Playstaion history) understands that PS1 has a much richer history than this.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I still get the feeling we'll see a PSOne Classic next year if this does well, with many of the missing games besides the ones that are obviously not here for licensing reasons

A PS2 Classic is probably some ways away if they want it to be affordable, so a stop-gap system makes sense, and they could throw in DualShocks too.

also for what it's worth, growing up in the UK these games were way more prevalent than a lot of the games that people are citing. I didn't even know Symphony of the Night existed until a decade after it came out.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
This list...

I'm gonna call a spade a spade, this list is pretty awful. The original PlayStation is one of my favorite consoles ever, so I guess I was bound to be disappointed by the final lineup.

No Xenogears, Symphony of the Night, WipeOut, Gran Turismo, Alundra, Final Fantasy IX, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, SaGa Frontier, Grandia, Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve, Dragon Quest VII, Front Mission 3, Vandal Hearts, Mega Man Legends?

The list can go on and on. I am surprised they managed Tekken 3, but this list frankly sucks. They should call it PlayStation B-Sides, not PlayStation Classic.