Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
What is the point of this machine if it doesn't integer scale? This is gonna look like ass on a 1080p screen, let alone 4K.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Playstation are currently streaming people playing Crash Team Racing at EGX on Twitch. They surely wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't going to be on the classic would they?

Unless..... PS4 Remake like the trilogy? Oof I think I need to go lie down.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
Playstation are currently streaming people playing Crash Team Racing at EGX on Twitch. They surely wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't going to be on the classic would they?

Unless..... PS4 Remake like the trilogy? Oof I think I need to go lie down.
I know which I'd prefer... and it sure as hell doesn't involve the new mini console haha.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Jumping Flash is a good game and it's pretty important for what it represents. It's the first ever 3D platformer. Makes total sense why it's on this.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I lot of love Jumping Flash. I've never played it. Thinking I should download it on my PS3 & give it a shot.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are 15 not 18, but could (and probably will) be on there. Silent Hill and MGS didn't even have certificates in Europe, so anyone could play them.
Almost all those games have PEGI 18 ratings for their releases on the PlayStation Classics range (RE1 and 2 are 18, MGS is 18, Silent Hill is 16).

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I lot of love Jumping Flash. I've never played it. Thinking I should download it on my PS3 & give it a shot.

If you plan on purchasing a PS Classic then you might as well wait. When you do play it, just be prepared for the control scheme, cos oooooh boy the game has not aged well in that regard.

Have to say though, for me personally, going from the previous gen of the SNES/Mega Drive to the fully 3D, first-person platforming of Jumping Flash! was a pretty magical experience all in all. Super jolly game.

Almost all those games have PEGI 18 ratings for their releases on the PlayStation Classics range (RE1 and 2 are 18, MGS is 18, Silent Hill is 16).

How is MGS 18 yet Silent Hill is 16 lol. Makes no sense.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't realise that, I thought the BBFC certs were more or less in tandem with PEGI despite obviously being different organisations.

Interesting that movies can get away with more these days certificate-wise, while games get away with less.

How is MGS 18 yet Silent Hill is 16 lol. Makes no sense.

Human beings getting shot as opposed to monsters would be my guess.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any mention of when they're likely to confirm the rest of the games on this or is it just "eh, whenever"?

I've been thinking that it was unlikely anything with licensed music was gonna make it on the list either, but wasn't some licensing bollocks the main reason Tekken 3 never got re-released on PS3/PSP? Yet there it is. I know it isn't the same thing and all, but it'd be really nice to get Wipeout 2 or 3 on there too.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is there any plan for revealing the other 15 games or is it still wait and see..?

Edit: lol I didn't read the post just above there whoops.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any mention of when they're likely to confirm the rest of the games on this or is it just "eh, whenever"?

I've been thinking that it was unlikely anything with licensed music was gonna make it on the list either, but wasn't some licensing bollocks the main reason Tekken 3 never got re-released on PS3/PSP? Yet there it is. I know it isn't the same thing and all, but it'd be really nice to get Wipeout 2 or 3 on there too.
"eh, whenever"

Apr 19, 2018
I remember being wowed by the sense of height and verticalIty the Jumping Flash games exhibited. It was pretty mindblowing stuff back in the day.

I really am curious if they hold up now.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The more I think about it, the less I think I need this. I'm utterly convinced that every single other game is going to be available to download on the psn. At that point in time you're just paying 100 bucks to use the old controller...

Maybe the nes/snes were a bit different, but maybe they weren't? I have no idea.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I would prefer RR1 or Revolution over RR4 as well. RR1 defined Playstation when it launched, its pretty much the original killer app.

Tekken 3 instead of Tekken 1 I would understand, 3 was a far bigger success anyway. One of the best selling PS1 games of all time.

I think a good list would be RR1, Tekken 3, Wipeout 2097, Tony Hawk 2, Parappa, Twisted Metal 2, Silent Hill, MGS1, Soul Reaver, Dino Crisis, Tomb Raider 2, Final Fantasy Tactics and some more lol. Not all have aged well but that shouldn't be the point here, you can't fill it with obscure 2D games either. Ofcourse they could do Rapid Reload, Raiden, Nekketsu Oyako, Parodius etc but those are extremely niche.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
So i was thinking. They state its 45% smaller than original. So if i split the console down the middle, thats effectively the size of it? So thats very similar to the psone? Thats not mini for me.....why so big??

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Will this have Felony 11-79?? That was one game i really wanted back in the day. Loved the demo of it. Never got it though

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about it, the less I think I need this. I'm utterly convinced that every single other game is going to be available to download on the psn. At that point in time you're just paying 100 bucks to use the old controller...

Maybe the nes/snes were a bit different, but maybe they weren't? I have no idea.
Yoshi's Island, Starfox and obviously Starfox 2 aren't available on Virtual Console.

Tekken 3 isn't available on PSN.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018

Man, I actually starting to think like that to you know. I'll wait until all games all revealed and see.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with a PS Classic is that the games aren's as timeless as 16-bit 2D. Tekken 3 for example was a great fighter, but its a competitive fighter and offline only. Mario World, Super Metroid and Zelda LttP are all time classics, excellent single player experiences that haven't really been bested.

FFVII fits that bill, but it aged terribly compared to Zelda or even FFVI. Wild Arms would fit that bill if it wasn't for those terrible 3D battles. Ofcourse, Wild Arms is no FFVI or SoM either.

I've looked at the list of PS1 best sellers and its pretty much Gran Turismo, FF, Tekken, Tomb Raider, MGS1, Crash. I wouldn't play any of those in original PS form tbh (yes thank you I hate Twin Snakes as well).

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I just saw that the Japanese one had reservations available on 9/20... for PS Plus members only... and it was a drawing to see who could get a reservation... :/

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 1-2 sounds like a licensing nightmare. Cars and music wise. I hope one of them is on there. Also didn't the Jet Moto games have mtn Dew advertising?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yoshi's Island, Starfox and obviously Starfox 2 aren't available on Virtual Console.

Tekken 3 isn't available on PSN.
I dunno man. Like, the way the ps1 games used to write inside the disc drive.. I don't know if I'd be willing to risk my pros drive on ps1 games. Especially ps1 games where one scratch could hold up an entire 100 hour rpg. Nah... its strictly digital for ps1 games and hopefully I can mod it to put all my games on it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with a PS Classic is that the games aren's as timeless as 16-bit 2D. Tekken 3 for example was a great fighter, but its a competitive fighter and offline only. Mario World, Super Metroid and Zelda LttP are all time classics, excellent single player experiences that haven't really been bested.

FFVII fits that bill, but it aged terribly compared to Zelda or even FFVI. Wild Arms would fit that bill if it wasn't for those terrible 3D battles. Ofcourse, Wild Arms is no FFVI or SoM either.

I've looked at the list of PS1 best sellers and its pretty much Gran Turismo, FF, Tekken, Tomb Raider, MGS1, Crash. I wouldn't play any of those in original PS form tbh (yes thank you I hate Twin Snakes as well).
This is true to some extent but I don't think the audience will care tbh. People were rejoicing over Starfox 1-2 in SNES Classic and they probably aged way worse than anything that gets included here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Gran Turismo 1-2 sounds like a licensing nightmare. Cars and music wise. I hope one of them is on there. Also didn't the Jet Moto games have mtn Dew advertising?
It is but it's sort of a "needs to be there" property imo. Like Goldeneye would be for a N64 Classic. They're worth doing the impossible for.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

There are absolutely loads of timeless games on PlayStation that hold up brilliantly. They just likely won't be on this Mini system. :-/

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is the double edged sword with these novelty consoles, so many highlights, but who do you choose for the highlight reel? SNES, NES, PS1 have too many great games.
It's trickier with PS1. Many of the "big" games don't hold up that well while games that were somewhat overlooked at the time fare much better.

It'll be curious to see which side of the coin they come down on! I suspect it'll be games that were big during that era first and foremost.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked if a Gran Turismo appears on it. There's only 15 slots left and they already announced Ridge Racer Type 4.
There's no way it's going to be only one racing title in the lineup. Racing games were big back then and they should recreate that. Besides even if Gran Turismo 1 or 2 can't appear due to licensing issues there's so many other wonderful games to choose from like Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colin McRae Rally, Driver or Crash Team Racing.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Licensing issues probably kill the chances for Tony Hawk, Gran Turismo, Jet Moto and Twisted Metal.

Can someone explain in detail about licensing issues? I guess this mainly comes down to these classic consoles emulating the HW? Or will licensing always be needed even if say PS5 is customised such that PS4 games just work (i.e. no PS4 APU in the box)?

I just can't see how a PlayStation classic can release in the UK without GT.....That's like a Nintendo without Mario.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain in detail about licensing issues? I guess this mainly comes down to these classic consoles emulating the HW? Or will licensing always be needed even if say PS5 is customised such that PS4 games just work (i.e. no PS4 APU in the box)?

I just can't see how a PlayStation classic can release in the UK without GT.....That's like a Nintendo without Mario.

Licensing the music. Those games were full of licensed music from bands. Those licenses expire or are sometimes just for the original release. A new release of the game (as a remaster or on a new platform like this) would probably require new deals to be done.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
How they're going to narrow this down to 20 games is beyond me.

Almost like it would be a better idea to put these damn games on the PS4.

Oh, but wait, people don't care for backwards compatibility, right Sony? So let's announce a PS1 classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.