Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Medal of Honor or Medal of Honor: Underground could be an awesome addition to a PS Classic line-up.
I'd agree, if the controllers that came with it had analogue sticks. With the standard controllers, I don't think there's many FPS games on PlayStation that work well (maybe with exceptions for Doom and similar games that are okay with a 2D movement system to which the camera is tied).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If there was a "Starfox 2" of the PSOne, what do you guys think it would be? I can't think of a game that was completed (or nearly completed) and anticipated in that way. Thrill Kill lol?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been mentioned but I noticed today on the box art on Amazon UK it has a provisional PEGI 18 rating.

81smIngPswL._SL1500_.jpg

Obviously it's not final box art but it could point to games like MGS, Resident Evil, Silent Hill etc. being on there.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably been mentioned but I noticed today on the box art on Amazon UK it has a provisional PEGI 18 rating.

81smIngPswL._SL1500_.jpg

Obviously it's not final box art but it could point to games like MGS, Resident Evil, Silent Hill etc. being on there.

This has been known since the beginning. But thanks for bringing it up again. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was gonna buy one for my nephew. Aren't they limiting their market by doing this?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If there weren't any problem with the licenses and emulation then I would pick games from these franchises to make the most popular PS1 selection (in parenthesis the episode I would chose).

Third-Parties:
Ridge Racer Type 4, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil (2), Tomb Raider (1 or 2), Tekken (3), Metal Gear Solid, Crash Team Racing, Crash Bandicoot (1 or 2 or 3), Spyro, Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

Sony for International markets:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Jet Moto (1 or 2), Cool Boarders (3 or 2), Syphon Filter, MediEvil, Wipeout, Twisted Metal (2), Gran Turismo (1 or 2), maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG)

Sony for Japan:
Wild Arms, Jumping Flash, Everybody's Golf (1), Intelligent Qube, Arc the Lad, Parappa the Rapper, Devil Dice, Doko Demo Issyo, Gran Turismo, maybe Legend of Dargoon (if they want another RPG), Ape escape if it was possible (but alas no dualshock)

This has been known since the beginning. But thanks for bringing it up again. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I was gonna buy one for my nephew. Aren't they limiting their market by doing this?
Depend who is the audience they are targeting.
If it's the ones who were there when PS1 was still active then there is no risk.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'd dare to put Die Hard Trilogy or Project: Horned Owl on it. When I think first generation PSOne games those are the ones that inevitably come to mind.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My entire point are those "consistent titles" you mentioned. There are some games that were leagues more popular than the rest of the library.

Super Mario
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Contra
Mega Man
Punch Out
Castlevania

PlayStation's library is a bit more even keeled in the sales department. There were just... So many franchises and sequels on the original PlayStation.
You just listed 7 games for a top 5. 20 games if we include every one from each series. And that's leaving out properties like Ducktales, Ninja Gaiden, Final Fantasy, TMNT, Gradius and a wealth of other favorites. Go to Japan and you'll get more list toppers like Dragon Quest, Famitsta, Spelunker, etc.

I mean I could do the same with PSX, pick 7 top series (Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, GT, Crash, Tekken, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider) and that's pretty okay coverage like your NES list. I could list a bunch more here too, but again, not much different from every other mainstream console. This isn't as difficult as you're making it out for Sony, their only real disadvantage vs Nintendo, Sega, SNK, etc, is that they own far fewer of the historic or popular games on their platforms.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
To me this is cool collectors item, nothing more.

I'll stick with my original Playstation and the supperior dual shock controllers and all the original games I have if I wanna play some games.

For anyone, who sold all his stuff, this is pretty nice, though.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed for Omega Boost and Treasures of the Deep being on that list. Or were both of those games DualShock titles? Can't remember.

Xenoneo

Jan 31, 2018
For the same reason Nintendo picked up DKC1 instead of DKC2 for SNESC despite the latter being generally considered the best in the trilogy (DKC1 sold more than DKC2 and DKC3 combined).

I think there is a difference: FF games are different in story characters gameplay etc, but not DKC.
for example I like Crash 3 more than 2 and don't like first one at all. But if I were Sony and wanted to include just one platformer Crash, it would be the first one. But for a series which its titles are not connected to each other, I would go for the one that aged better.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017

81smIngPswL._SL1500_.jpg

Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are 15 not 18, but could (and probably will) be on there. Silent Hill and MGS didn't even have certificates in Europe, so anyone could play them.

There aren't actually that many 18-rated PSone games, and those that are feature strong language or excessive gore. GTA 1 or 2 would be my guess as to why PlayStation Classic has the 18 cert.

Hopefully the PAL release won't be full of PAL 50hz games...

I'll just return/cancel mine if it is.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
If tekken 3 is in there, it means we aren't just limited to the first couple years of Playstation, which were good, but also have an older feel than that latter half.

I'm pretty excited. It's been a long time since I've revisited the PSone. I know it's quite aged at this point, but I can't wait to play these shitty games again.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Man checking YouTube opinions on this, why are so many meh or negative on ridge racer 4. :(

It's one of the titles that excites me the most so far (even though I have it on my vita/psp from psn)

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
First time I've ever pre-ordered something, but I had to use Best Buy since Amazon was sold out. Had some really bad experiences with Best Buy in the past . Hope they don't fuck me over and cancel my pre-order.

May 5, 2018
Here's a potential game to think about for this list, but what do people think Medal of Honor's chances are getting onto this console (Maybe as a western regional exclusive for the PS Classic). Certainly the PS1 had plenty of classic games, but I don't think many can think of many iconic FPS' for the system. The N64 had Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Turok, the PC had the Quake series and Rainbow Six, and PS1 had...Jumping Flash (which is on the classic) and a bunch of ports of some of those PC games. Medal of Honor however felt like the first truly great FPS that you could have only on the Playstation 1 according to reviews. I'd say that deserves some recognition to give the console an FPS, but we'll see if it cracks the console's roster.

Also does anyone else fear that the PS Classic could have lots of driving games on it. Not that its an entirely bad thing since it had lots of well regarded racers and driving games, but that genre could eat some space for a mini console with 20 pre-loaded games. I could see 4 to 5 of these driving games making it onto the console:
  • Ridge Racer R4 (Already there)
  • Gran Turismo 1 or 2
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Wipeout 2097
  • Driver
  • Jet Moto (Any of them)

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jumping Flash is indeed really cool. I'd love to see a new one in the series. Make it VR. That would be horrifying and exhilarating. lol
I actually experienced vertigo the first time I played this back in '96. It seems silly in hindsight, but coming straight from SNES and Genesis, there really was nothing to prepare me for Jumping Flash. I'd like to see it in VR, but one of the PSVR demo games had similar mechanics, and it made me feel pretty sick in short order.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jumping Flash is big in japan, right? Can't believe that crap got in in a selected 20 games list. What's next? Magic Carpet?
You are joking, right? I played through this a few years ago after not having touched it since 1995. It's fantastic. I immediately bought the sequel, which is also fun. It's the definition of "classic".

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely rather have Ridge Racer 1 over R4. I mean, how can you have a PlayStation nostalgia machine without it? It's literally the first ever PlayStation game, SLPS 00001.

Man checking YouTube opinions on this, why are so many meh or negative on ridge racer 4. :(

Speaking as a hardcore RR fan, I consider the emphasis on story and unlocking endless tiers of cars to be detrimental to the concept of an arcade racer. R4 is a great game, but it doesn't give me what I want, at least not the way I want it. I want to be driving fast, as soon as possible after I put in the disc, not dick around with engine parts and decals, or grind my way through zero-challenge low spec races, or listen to my pit crew dish out their life story. R4 doesn't feel like Ridge Racer, it feels like a RPG on wheels. I remember a quote from R4's team saying how much they were inspired by Gran Turismo, and that R4 was a deliberate attempt to upstage it, and I think a little too much of GT's style rubbed off on it in the process. Ridge Racer to me is instant, flashy, camera-tilting, commentator-babbling, techno-pounding, roller coaster-ride satisfaction.

But still, like I said, R4 is a great game nonetheless, and very good at what it does uniquely. But it's not really Ridge Racer.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I dunno but for sheer nostalgia I'd rather have had rage racer.

Having replayed through the series on ps1 ealier this year, nah you probably don't. Probably won't happen but if they give us both game disc the 2nd disc did have part of the first ridge racer included (including the prototype 60fps version).

But still, like I said, R4 is a great game nonetheless, and very good at what it does uniquely. But it's not really Ridge Racer.

I know you don't care for the story aspect of r4 but how can you not consider it a ridge racer when the driving and drifting of later games take more from r4 then previous games. I mean the game isn't R: racing evolved. :)

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
I know you don't care for the story aspect of r4 but how can you not consider it a ridge racer when the driving and drifting of later games take more from r4 then previous games.

The 'purest' RR games would be Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer 2, Rave Racer, and Ridge Racer Revolution. They're what defines Ridge Racer for me, and why I love the series. That's why I was ready to kill for a PlayStation when I saw Namco's mindblowing port running on affordable home hardware. Subsequent Ridge Racer games dispensed with the simple front end and concise car selection, and weren't necessarily better for it imo. R4 is clearly part of the franchise, arguably more so than Evolved or Unbounded, but it's still a very big departure from its arcade roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.