SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo, any chance of them finally focusing on this Gen instead of cross Gen with these new numbers, or are we still a ways off?

Right now every game they have announced for the PS5 is PS5-only. Now Hermen's said that there will still be other cross-gen games, but it seems like by and large that the PS5 is now their focus. The fact that Horizon's DLC is PS5-only speaks volumes.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
3TMmNKC.gif

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been nice to see what ps5 could have achieved out the gate but unprecedented times occurred.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice.

So according to experts on Era, we should be around 5-6 more years away from them finally getting to that 100 mil mark so they can move away from cross-gen comfortably.

Let's go!

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Right now every game they have announced for the PS5 is PS5-only. Now Hermen's said that there will still be other cross-gen games, but it seems like by and large that the PS5 is now their focus. The fact that Horizon's DLC is PS5-only speaks volumes.

Agree. Especially what I under lined.

echomarin

Banned
Jan 3, 2023
Sooo, any chance of them finally focusing on this Gen instead of cross Gen with these new numbers, or are we still a ways off?

They have been focusing on this gen the whole time. Just because the games run on ps4 as well does not mean they aren't Ps5 games. They load faster, run better and look better on ps5. They are current gen games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Roughly aligned:

Wii: 44.96m (26 months, sell-in, 3 holidays)
PS4: 37.6m (26 months, sell-in, 3 holidays)
PS4: 35.9m (26 months, sell-through, 3 holidays)
DS: 35.61m (26 months, sell-in, 3 holidays)
NSW: 34.74m (25 months, sell-in, 2 holidays)
GBA: 33.71m (26 months, sell-in, 2 holidays)
3DS: 31.09m (26 months, sell-in, 2 holidays)
PS5: 30m (26 months, sell-through, 3 holidays)

edit: PS5 is #6 or #7

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Roughly aligned:

Is that 25 months a typo for NSW?? Just wondering if an extra month of data is needed

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Roughly aligned:

PS4 did it twice?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Keep in mind that if Tom Hendersons leak is true, Sony plans to produce another 30.5 million PS5's in just the upcoming FY23. Shit's gonna be crazy as they flood the market.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that if Tom Hendersons leak is true, Sony plans to produce another 30.5 million PS5's in just the upcoming FY23. Shit's gonna be crazy as they flood the market.
I'm skeptical. With this sellthrough it's unlikely they meet their 18m forecast for this FY so I'd rather wait to see what they target for next.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm skeptical. With this sellthrough it's unlikely they meet their 18m forecast for this FY so I'd rather wait to see what they target for next.

Sony increased their projection at their last quarterly report , saying they expect to exceed the 18 million figure. This is just a straight ramping up now as production just goes to insane levels.

Based on Sonys own statements, they're planning to surpass the PS4 sales curve this upcoming FY, which means they have to produce a bare minimum of 23 million units. We'll see how that 30.5 million figure holds up, but Tom's a reliable leaker.

Omnistalgic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Without pandemic PS5 could easily be at 40-50M right now. Hype was unbelievable at the start of gen and you still can't really find them in stores consistently.

If they truly ironed out the production issues, should be coasting to 50M by end of the year, and began outpacing PS4.

Hopefully everyone can get one now and cross gen is dead!!! Lol

vivftp yeah, I dunno if they hit 30M in a quarter but demand has definitely never been satisfied since the system launched. We still don't know what a true PS5 sell-in year looks like.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Without pandemic PS5 could easily be at 40-50M right now. Hype was unbelievable at the start of gen and you still can't really find them in stores consistently.

If they truly ironed out the production issues, should be coasting to 50M by end of the year, and began outpacing PS4.

Hopefully everyone can get one now and cross gen is dead!!! Lol

vivftp yeah, I dunno if they hit 30M in a quarter but demand has definitely never been satisfied since the system launched. We still don't know what a true PS5 sell-in year looks like.

Yeah, what's crazy is that even in places where you can buy it (US, UK) it's still been sold in bundles for $60 (or 60 pounds) more than the standalone systems. I want to see what this thing can sell when it's just the standalone systems with the digital available too

Oct 27, 2017
Roughly aligned:

So basically if the Switch had launched a few months earlier, it'd probably be at 2/3?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Personally still haven't seen one out in the wild, on a shelf, ready to buy. My brother sent me a pic the other day of 3-4 behind the glass at a target, so it certainly looks like supply is getting better.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what's crazy is that even in places where you can buy it (US, UK) it's still been sold in bundles for $60 (or 60 pounds) more than the standalone systems. I want to see what this thing can sell when it's just the standalone systems with the digital available too
The DE standalone is available right now.... on PS Direct. 😩

Buy PlayStation® 5 Digital Edition Console | PlayStation® (US)

Latest console generation with no disc drive - simply Sign into your account for PlayStation Network and go to PlayStation®Store to buy and download games.

The big change will be when it's readily available somewhere like Amazon without needing to request an invitation.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Can't wrap my head around the console selling that much since there was an extreme shortage for years in the country I live in, and it has only just become available from Christmas onwards.

Mar 3, 2018
How's availability these days? I know I can check online but honestly I'm so traumatized by my experience trying to snag one during pandemic and the ensuing months of launch I gave up fully. Well that's a small lie, I tried briefly again during these last winter holiday but no luck.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
How's availability these days? I know I can check online but honestly I'm so traumatized by my experience trying to snag one during pandemic and the ensuing months of launch I gave up fully. Well that's a small lie, I tried briefly again during these last winter holiday but no luck.
Depending on where you live (I'm in the US) you can pretty much get a PS5 if you want one. They consistently been in stock on PS Direct. Hell I think the God of War Bundle still is.

Omnistalgic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yup…I finally found one for my nephew and had to get an extra controller and GOWR bundle…

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I a bad person for dreaming about the launch chaos if covid didn't hit? The PS4 launch was amazing.

PS: haven't bought a PS5 yet, I'll wait for TLOU3

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
My buddy was finally able to get his after two years lol. He wasn't trying terribly hard but just so happened to casually look and saw that one was in stock so nabbed it.

Oct 25, 2017
And plenty of people laughed at their statement of passing PS4 when they said supply issues were rapidly being fixed.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
And yet I can't find one in stores...

:(

Nov 21, 2017
2023 gonna be a monster year for sales with supply finally ramping up and the new model dropping

Absolutely
-PSVR2 launching
-Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will be SIE's biggest 1st party release in history
-GAAS as a service games like Factions possibly launching
-Lastly many big 3rd party games like Final Fantasy 16, Hogwarts, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, RE4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, Assassin's Creed Mirage, and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora will drive units as well.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sony increased their projection at their last quarterly report , saying they expect to exceed the 18 million figure. This is just a straight ramping up now as production just goes to insane levels.

Based on Sonys own statements, they're planning to surpass the PS4 sales curve this upcoming FY, which means they have to produce a bare minimum of 23 million units. We'll see how that 30.5 million figure holds up, but Tom's a reliable leaker.
30m sell-through only means probably like 31-32m sell-in given the current stock situation. That means they need ship 5-6m next quarter, which while not entirely impossible is a crazy high figure for FYQ4 (PS4 never did it) and if there's 1-2m supply already available coming off the holidays...

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
And a new version on the horizon too. I wonder how enticing would it be to make people double dip like in the PS4 Pro.

That is a lot granted how long it took for it to be easier to find.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this just Sony being pricks or stores being dumb? cause with stock being more available, I still don't get why stores can't just put em on shelves so you can walk in and buy one.

I think they are still selling out online most places especially when not in a site / store specific bundle. They're just staying in stock for several hours / a day instead of what it was before.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Stock in online stores here in Canada tends to last much longer than it used to. Upwards of days it can stay in stock.