• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
That doesn't seem to align with the language in the PS Blog post though.

"We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

They expect those 100 to be playable at launch. With more coming later. The lack of boost in the blog post I think eliminates the possibility of significant backwards compat at launch.

I think it's more like out of the 100 we tested (the 100 most played) almost all worked, the rest have not been tested but would be reasonable to assume a similar ratio of working/not working.

The cynical side of me believes this 'case by case' testing will ensure the ps4 versions of the last of us, cyberpunk and ghost of tsushima won't work and we'll have to buy the ps5 version.

If anything first party and/or big titles should be the ones with the highter chance of working and being better optimized for the new hardware.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I bought my PlayStation 2, my PlayStation 3 and my PlayStation 4 day one. I always planned to buy my PlayStation 5 day one. But now, I'm not sure anymore, because I want to clear my backlog. If all games in my backlog aren't available on PlayStation 5 day one, I will probably wait until I buy the console.

No way. I'm sure all major first party games will be available on PlayStation 5 day one, without any additionnal cost.

I hope so, because the majority of my games and preorders are digital.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I think a lot of people here didn't got what Cerny was trying to say. If I understand it correctly, there won't be "around 100 BC games from PS4 available at PS5". He just stated PS5 will have a sort-of "emulator" of PS4 and PS4 Pro, which technically makes all of PS4 games playable. They just only tested around hundred of them if its working properly. Most of them worked, some requires further patching from the developers themselves because code is unstable on a new hardware. There is a similar case with newer versions of OS in PC gaming. You can run every PC game, but some of the older ones might not work properly and requires patches to make them compatible on a newer hardware. So nothing to worry, probably more games will be playable and those unstable will end up patched.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
They read the same text as you from the OP. How do YOU interpret Sony's message?

Again, if all the PS4 games worked out of the box, why not straight out say it instead of talking about the top-100 games? I mean, sure, maybe they got the marketing wrong, but I am more inclined to thinking that that's what will be available.

Nov 14, 2017
Again, the details on how it works can be discussed, but the point is that if the PS5 is full BC with PS4, why didn't they flat-out say it? The crux of the matter is that it seems they'll need to tweak things around, and the current messaging is that they'll have around 100 ready at launch.
When MS first started doing BC it wasn't 100% either. They are just being honest about where they are at. And the current message isn't that 100 will be ready at launch. The current message is that they have tested 100 games and nearly all of them are fine. The current message is that 100 games is the current situation. They haven't said what the launch situation is.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Am I understanding it correctly that every game will work perfectly on legacy mode but some games won't be able to take advantage of the new hardware to run better on native? It's full BC but partial improvements?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more like out of the 100 we tested (the 100 most played) almost all worked, the rest have not been tested but would be reasonable to assume a similar ratio of working/not working.

If anything first party and/or big titles should be the ones with the highter chance of working and being better optimized for the new hardware.

I expect it to be like boost mode. They're starting off with conservative messaging but if 95% games work fine, they'll likely just let you play anything but with caveats you may have some titles with issues. And then work with publishers to patch as many as possible.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When MS first started doing BC it wasn't 100% either. They are just being honest about where they are at. And the current message isn't that 100 will be ready at launch. The current message is that they have tested 100 games and nearly all of them are fine. The current message is that 100 games is the current situation. They haven't said what the launch situation is.
Yeah, they have:

Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

They expect to have almost all of those 100 at launch and that's all. There is no full BC with enhanced BC for 100 games. It's 100 games at most.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Mhm, I think Sony made a big mistake by overestimating the listening comprehension of many people.
Message should be very clear to most of the audience, and sure it is not.

Anyone who did not watch the video, should do for this part. The meaning, word by word, is - due to boosted frequencies , and despite compatibility being DESIGNED in the chips (not the boost mode, boost frequencies meaning all chipsets operate at clocks that are different/higher than PS4 and Pro. Doesn't say anything else) some software may not work ok (now I presume he wanted/should say) as was not coded/tested for the new clocks/circumstances. But , as they tested top 100 games for compatibility issues, they got very promising results (which I am taking, little to no issues) and most of that software will work with no issues. But as can't be guaranteed for all, testing will need to be done case by case.

That's al that was said, anything else is assumptions and speculation. Which everybody is free to absorb, and this is where issue with Sony comms is,. They should make it very clear to everybody what they mean.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018

This is the message in the OP:

Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time..

I mean, talking about expanding coverage over time pretty much says it all.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Why don't Sony just clarify this simple point? Is it 100 ish at launch with more to come or most of the top 100 are already working so expect most games to work at launch and we will keep going with the rest.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Am I understanding it correctly that every game will work perfectly on legacy mode but some games won't be able to take advantage of the new hardware to run better on native? It's full BC but partial improvements?

This is what I took from it, but the message wasn't clear at all. In fact, I'm not even sure now how it works.

I'd be pissed if my whole PS4 digital library is not playable on PS5 from day one. Boost mode and come later, but I want to be able to play my more obscure titles like Kerbal Space Program, ultimate Chicken Horse etc etc and not jus the top 100.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland

I think it will work this way. You may run every game released on PS4. If it has Pro Mode, you can benefit from all of Pro features. But the solution they went with works more like a emulation than using exactly the same chipset, which won't give you a 100% guarantee this will run flawlessly without official support from developers. This may have an impact on a performance of some certain games (aka some may work too fast, crashes, etc). That's why he stated this will be tested by "case by case" basis.

Nov 14, 2017
This is the message in the OP:

I mean, talking about expanding coverage over time pretty much says it all.
Actually sorry, I got the Cerny quote wrong. The current message is that of the 100 top they expect almost all of them to be ready at launch, but that doesn't say anything beyond that 100.

The reasonable thing to assume is that BC will be proportional, so the majority of games will be fine. I do agree they need to clarify though.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Mhm, I think Sony made a big mistake by overestimating the listening comprehension of many people.
Message should be very clear to most of the audience, and sure it is not.

Anyone who did not watch the video, should do for this part. The meaning, word by word, is - due to boosted frequencies , and despite compatibility being DESIGNED in the chips (not the boost mode, boost frequencies meaning all chipsets operate at clocks that are different/higher than PS4 and Pro. Doesn't say anything else) some software may not work ok (now I presume he wanted/should say) as was not coded/tested for the new clocks/circumstances. But , as they tested top 100 games for compatibility issues, they got very promising results (which I am taking, little to no issues) and most of that software will work with no issues. But as can't be guaranteed for all, testing will need to be done case by case.

That's al that was said, anything else is assumptions and speculation. Which everybody is free to absorb, and this is where issue with Sony comms is,. They should make it very clear to everybody what they mean.

I mean, this seems pretty clear:

Lastly, we're excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time..

Gaming sites are reporting that 100 games will be playable at launch, and the talk about expanding coverage.I hope to be wrong, because ideally I wanted to trade my PS4Pro into PS5 at launch, but this seems crystal clear.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else think Sony are being deliberately vague about the BC because they don't want to hurt sales of upcoming exclusives on PS4?
I was actually going or wait till the PS5 was released before playing the likes of FFVII or TLOU2 but I'm certainly getting it now when they're released. I don't know if that was their intention but it certainly worked on me.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I took the comments to mean they have only tested ~100 games that will be ready at launch, more games to be added at later dates.

Otherwise I don't see the point mentioning 100 games in the first place

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This is what I took from it, but the message wasn't clear at all. In fact, I'm not even sure now how it works.

I'd be pissed if my whole PS4 digital library is not playable on PS5 from day one. Boost mode and come later, but I want to be able to play my more obscure titles like Kerbal Space Program, ultimate Chicken Horse etc etc and not jus the top 100.

I think it will work this way. You may run every game released on PS4. If it has Pro Mode, you can benefit from all of Pro features. But the solution they went with works more like a emulation than using exactly the same chipset, which won't give you a 100% guarantee this will run flawlessly without official support from developers. This may have an impact on a performance of some certain games (aka some may work too fast, crashes, etc). That's why he stated this will be tested by "case by case" basis.

Thanks! I hope Sony clarifies it soon since I already made plans to give my PS4 away to someone lol.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
All I ask is they have Bloodborne + Persona 5 Royal working. They can take their sweet ass time getting other games running for all I care.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Actually sorry, I got the Cerny quote wrong. The current message is that of the 100 top they expect almost all of them to be ready at launch, but that doesn't say anything beyond that 100.

The reasonable thing to assume is that BC will be proportional, so the majority of games will be fine. I do agree they need to clarify though.

We'll have to wait, but assuming that there are still more than six months until launch and their promise is to have 100 games ready at launch, I wouldn't necessarily assume that the majority of games will be fine. The messaging makes it sound like it will be like when MS started with X360 BC, with games periodically added. Now, they might "get good" at it and speed things up eventually.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
They need to clarify the discrepancy between Cerny's words and the blog post right now imo, unless the blog post is right I don't see why they wouldn't.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
One of the reasons to stay in this ecosystem is BC, but is such a mess actually that I'll stop buying multiplatform games for PS4 because it gives me zero confidence

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS4 Pro Legacy Mode is PS4 Pro software with instructions interpreted and the clocks running at native, then how is it different from PS5 Native Mode?

If the PS4 Legacy Mode is PS4 software with instructions interpreted and the clocks running at native, then how is it different from PS5 Native Mode?

Because it can actually run PS4 software. Clocks may be slowed but the machine will still have 7 years of efficiencies that can't be disabled.

Edit: Saw your edit with NotLiquid's post. I still don't think it makes sense, because if that was the case then the Legacy Modes wouldn't really serve a purpose. You're essentially making the claim that neither the Legacy Modes nor the Boost Mode are 100% compatible, but have different levels of sub-100% compatibility, and this is never suggested anywhere.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, together those instruction interpreters and faster processing have sub 100% compatibility with PS4 games. Which is why Cerny and the PlayStation blog talk about 100 games that they expect to be playable at launch. Not that there will be 100 enhancements for launch, just "playable" to account for that compatibility.

I admire both your commitments to seeing this from another angle, but I just can't square this circle myself. I would love to be wrong and be able to swap out my Pro to the 5 come launch, but I don't see it with the materials we've been provided.

Last edited:

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this is still an issue.

Video is marked at the time Cerny talks about backwards compatibility and where the confusion comes from regarding PS5's boost mode.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the news just that they tested the top 100 games and found almost all of them playable? No comment on how many more will be confirmed playable before release.

no. They are saying that they are expecting almost 100 games to be playable at launch on PS5.

In another words, they took these 100 games, did a cursory check on all of them and determined that they can make most of them work flawlessly during console launch. After that they will move on to testing and patching other games beyond these titles.

Last edited:

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Because it can actually run PS4 software. Clocks may be slowed but the machine will still have 7 years of efficiencies that can't be disabled.

Yes, that's what I'm saying, together those instruction interpreters and faster processing have sub 100% compatibility with PS4 games. Which is why Cerny and the PlayStation blog talk about 100 games that they expect to be playable at launch. Not they there will be 100 enhancements for launch, just "playable" to account for that compatibility.

I admire both your commitments to seeing this from another angle, but I just can't square this circle myself. I would love to be wrong and be able to swap out my Pro to the 5 come launch, but I don't see it with the materials we've been provided.

Pretty much. It seems to me people is making some pretty convoluted arguments as to what Cerny actually meant, whereas if BC simply worked out of the box with all PS4 titles at launch they would state it very clearly.

Oct 28, 2017
Sony picked the worst generation to not fully embrace BC. There are so many important games on PS4 unlike the previous consoles. The industry has changed and people continue to play many games for years on end. I understand that allot of those games will be in that "top 100" but you gotta remember how many obscure PS4 games there are, and how that sort of defined what is probably the greatest console of all time.

I wonder if developers have a say so in their games being part of that list. If not, then its a real middle finger to those people and the player base.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think not all games.
But at least its better than nothing.
But it sounds like it's going to be much better than the gimped PS3 or xbox360 BC. I'm talking the PAL PS3 here where they took it out and it was software only.
Also I hope they somehow get a PS2/PS3 emulator working. Would love to play my old disc games. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. A 10TF machine should handle emulation easily.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Not good enough. They should have prioritized full backcompat day 1.

These days people expect digital purchases etc to work on newer hardware.

But, at least it's some games.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok here is the word for word transcript from the presentation;

So my interpretation of that is yes, in legacy mode, the PS5 will play all PS4 games in the same way a PS4 currently plays those games.

And here is the bit about the 100 games

The 100 games are only for the Boosted Mode/Enchanced/ whatever you want to call them. So yes, most likely, Bloodborne is included and is being tested at running at enhanced boosted mode on the PS5 (aka better frame rates and better load times).

I'm hoping this is correct because only 100 titles being BC at launch would suck

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Also something I didn't think about before they've already talked about PSVR working on PS5 but if the games that are going to be backwards compatible at launch are only some of the 100 most played games on PS4 I can't see any of them being VR titles.

Yep, supporting PSVR hardware is kinda pointless if the games are not working.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
What Cerny said was pretty clear

They tested only the top 100 and most were fine. Likely the ratio of games that will be fine across the entire library will be roughly the same as that ratio for the top 100

In other words, the vast majority of games will work well at launch and some of those that don't can be sorted out via patches down the line

edit: hm, listening again, maybe i'm wrong

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just once again dissapointed that there was no mention of BC beyond ps4. Will we have to buy those titles again on ps5?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We just don't know currently, we just hope. My biggest complain is load times and I hope that Sony lifts the limit from the operating system so disks can be read as fast as possible.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe this is still an issue.

Video is marked at the time Cerny talks about backwards compatibility and where the confusion comes from regarding PS5's boost mode.

I'm gonna be the one that's dumb enough to ask: Boost mode is what he is talking about with the top 100 games, but the rest will still work, just not enhanced?