coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about getting this one. Idk. It just seems so much imo. And then MGs are usually $60-$100.

I was wondering if Amazon was marking them up, but if that's in line with what's normal then okay.
Some more on this, try this page for some shopping resources: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/wiki/shopping/

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Was definitely a fun build
IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5983.jpg
IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

So much panel lining

Good news is new job means more kit budget, so I'm probably going after some more bigger ones I really want. Bad news is less build time. But I'll just set up inside my bumper pool table so I can just pop it open when I want to build

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Acrylics work fine through an airbrush if you thin them enough. This kit was entirely painted with acrylic paints:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVzJI37sFVT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Another option that I've done with some success is spray painting silver and then brush painting over the top with Games Workshop contrast paints (Army painter now also has a similar line of paints). They are transparent paints by default so you can get a pretty cool candy color effect and they work even better if you hide the brush marks with weathering or chipping.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPcB8XRt9nS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh hm. Considering my circumstances and not wanting to at least immediately jump into the deep end makes the latter option of just spray painting everything silver and brush painting over that is a very intriguing option to try starting off with. Probably won't teach me everything but may be an easier bet to get started with, especially if my idea of getting started is wholesale repainting something lol.

Sounds good enough for spraying acrylics with a cheap spraybooth I think. I don't fully know how bad lacquers actually are for your health so take anything I say about those things with a grain of salt.

I also went through my YT history to find some of the channels I found helpful learning. It's mostly just people going through their build process rather than concrete tutorials, but those were always the most helpful for me because they show how "proper" painting should actually look like. A lot of it isn't actually gunpla, but the process of painting plastic is mostly the same regardless of whether the plastic is shaped like a tank or like a giant robot. Also mostly weathered stuff because that's the kind of thing I like.

Brush/detail painting:
Minipainting channels have a lot of useful stuff here. While some of the more advanced minipainting techniques don't carry over, the basics of thinning and applying paint do.

https://www.youtube.com/c/DuncanRhodesPaintingAcademy - well-made videos that guide you through brush-painting. Does a good job of showing how to thin and apply your paint, even if the more advanced techniques aren't 100% relevant to gunpla. For example:
Similar channels:

https://www.youtube.com/c/quickkits - A channel focused on quick and simple brushpainting aimed at beginners.

Airbrushing:
https://www.youtube.com/c/NightShiftScaleModels - Fantastic videos that showcase various advanced painting techniques, mostly focused on worn and weathered tanks, but applicable to a certain style of gunpla painting as well.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RickLawlerPropaganda - Fantastic military/diorama modeler showcasing the entire build process
https://www.youtube.com/c/lpjmodels - Well made videos showing the entire painting process on a variety of subjects
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaintonPlasticbyLincolnWright - Videos focused on gunpla and MaschinenKrieger with a unique style. Has a lot of interesting handpainting ideas that embrace the uneven texture you often get with it for some interesting looking results.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickmakwell - does some full builds without that much editing, which makes it easier to see the entire painting process.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RinaldiStudioPress - Extremely comprehensive videos on a variety of painting techniques. Not really aimed at beginners but has a lot of cool stuff on painting with oil paints specifically.
Thank you so much for all the links, will definitely take some time to go through them and see what I can put to use.

Also need to figure out what my exact process will be. My testbed here is some of the super sentai minipla, so we're talking about transforming components with rotating hinges etc, so there's going to be at least a fair degree of painting I'd want to do before any and/or full assembly.

Oct 25, 2017
Started working on this kit I got on Ebay a while back,
134100-10911-pristine.jpg

didn't even cross my mind until halfway through... thats a 51 year old model kit.

Decals are so freaking yellowed i'll need to find some alternatives. Kinda cool though it originally had Japanese and Swedish markings.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished my PG Unleashed RX-78-2. This thing took FOREVER, but now I can finally chip away at the rest of my backlog. This kit really is amazing, but I have some issues with some of the engineering with the panels. The panels on the sides of the legs especially are really finicky and were either way too loose or too tight. It's also baffling to me that Bandai didn't include a stand with this kit. It's hard to get dynamic poses without one and it's not even really clear if there is ANY stand that Bandai makes that will work with this model. The lights are a neat gimmick but I would have rather paid less money for the kit and have it be an upgrade option. The waterslides are from GRework--which I generally like. I did have one peel off on me while posing, but it looks fine without it. (The pictures are all from before the decal came off).

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjo_6zyNkaw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I reached a point in my HG Barbatos build that stopped me dead. I'm having a hard time completing one of the arms but I need to get back on it soon.

in the meantime, I saw Amazon had the #191 RX-78-2 Gundam (Revive) HGUC for $8 so I ordered that. Any opinions on that one? I wanted the Origins one, but for the price I figured it would be some good practice.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I reached a point in my HG Barbatos build that stopped me dead. I'm having a hard time completing one of the arms but I need to get back on it soon.

in the meantime, I saw Amazon had the #191 RX-78-2 Gundam (Revive) HGUC for $8 so I ordered that. Any opinions on that one? I wanted the Origins one, but for the price I figured it would be some good practice.
It was my second kit after origin char Zaku. It's solid.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Origin Char Zaku was originally going to be my second one so that's good to hear. I was just worried because of how cheap the RX was, but if it's solid I'm happy. Thanks!
The RX-78 is the original Gundam so it's HG's are loss leaders cause they always sell, it's a timeless design and it's the origin of the series. That's also why it gets a version in every experimental kit project And line. It's also a clean design especially in the smaller scales where they aren't tagging on extra internal and paneling details.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
The RX-78 is the original Gundam so it's HG's are loss leaders cause they always sell, it's a timeless design and it's the origin of the series. That's also why it gets a version in every experimental kit project And line. It's also a clean design especially in the smaller scales where they aren't tagging on extra internal and paneling details.
Ah, that makes sense. I was mainly worried it would be more like an entry grade than an actual HG.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ah, that makes sense. I was mainly worried it would be more like an entry grade than an actual HG.
Nah the joints still take some work, the overall armor is just simple but remember HG is a huge range, there's a lot more complicated but grandpa is always a solid little kit. Heck for a bit of fun, these are all HG RX-78-02's
IMG_1773-scaled.jpg

The designs so beloved they've done this many different takes and reimaginings in HG alone. Origin just has more decals into not that much more complicated a built fyi

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
For a while, the RX-78-2 Revive was my pick for best intro HG. Well-proportioned, great engineering, plenty of accessories, poses like a dream. Needs very little panel lining to make everything pop.

Some better starter HGs have come along, but it's still in my top 5, maybe top 3.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
For a while, the RX-78-2 Revive was my pick for best intro HG. Well-proportioned, great engineering, plenty of accessories, poses like a dream. Needs very little panel lining to make everything pop.

Some better starter HGs have come along, but it's still in my top 5, maybe top 3.
I'm very excited to start on it. I'm gonna need an Aerial and Dilanza ASAP when they release. I'm loving all the designs from Witch from Mercury.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Yeahhh, definitely getting an Aerial as soon as I see one. I almost regret not preordering, but they'll be easy to get before too long.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to finishing the RG Sinanju custom build.
owW3xmD.jpg

The end result is a bit weird. I wanted to experiment with various oil weathering techniques people use on plane and tank models to make a (kind of) realistic, beat-up mobile suit. It kinda works, but a lot of the details simply aren't visible unless you look at the model super closely:
5ZjKXQW.jpg
wIwS2mk.jpg
928B76R.jpg

I like how some of the individual elements turned out (the fuel tanks especially) but it's kinda missing the wow-factor when looking at it from afar. Especially in pictures. I also think the back almost looks better than the front but the way I display it that's not even going to be visible.

I'm happy to finally be done with it though. The kit needed way more work than I thought and the poorly thought out engineering made working on it kinda frustrating. Posing it was a nightmare, but at least the Sinanju does have a pretty cool silhouette when you actually get it to stand up properly. The beam saber is also surprisingly disappointing. Transparent yellow seemed like a neat idea but it's basically invisible on a white background and in this pose the unique shape isn't even visible.

It was also the first time I tried making an actual base. The result is pretty janky but at least it helps to contextualize the unusual color paint scheme a bit.

Some more images here: https://imgur.com/a/TqQtc44

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone received HGAC Shenlong Gundam? Pre-ordered it months ago from usagundamstore and so far nothing beyond the initial confirmation e-mail. Other stores have said it releases Oct 2022 but no other dates given. It's the last one I need to finish my small collection of Wing suits so I'm really hoping it ships.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone received HGAC Shenlong Gundam? Pre-ordered it months ago from usagundamstore and so far nothing beyond the initial confirmation e-mail. Other stores have said it releases Oct 2022 but no other dates given. It's the last one I need to finish my small collection of Wing suits so I'm really hoping it ships.
I can't speak for the specific model or store, but often case is that these retailers are receiving their stock via container ship. So if a kit etc releases this month, they may not have it in their possession to ship it out to you until next month. There still may also be a small backup on getting ships into port that will make things take longer than normal.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
As is tradition, complaining about a thing means the thing happens. Just got a notification that Shenlong shipped lol. Excited to finally have the whole crew together.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Just started doing Gunpla. I've only built the Revive HG RX-78-2, and the entry grade version of the same suit. I know the Entry Grade is less advanced, but I found it a more satisfying figure/build in the end than the HG.

anyway, my backlog includes:

HG Battlogue Gundam Helios
HG Battlogue Gundam Livelance Heaven
HG Battlogue Gouf Crimson Custom
HG Build Divers Try Age Magnum
HG Gundam IBO Barbatos Lupus
HG UC Char's Zaku
HG UC Gouf Custom

I'm one of the three people in the world who really likes AGE designs so I plan to track down a lot of those, though I also really love stuff from the Build shows. But I wanna collect/build a bit of everything.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just started doing Gunpla. I've only built the Revive HG RX-78-2, and the entry grade version of the same suit. I know the Entry Grade is less advanced, but I found it a more satisfying figure/build in the end than the HG.

anyway, my backlog includes:

HG Battlogue Gundam Helios
HG Battlogue Gundam Livelance Heaven
HG Battlogue Gouf Crimson Custom
HG Build Divers Try Age Magnum
HG Gundam IBO Barbatos Lupus
HG UC Char's Zaku
HG UC Gouf Custom

I'm one of the three people in the world who really likes AGE designs so I plan to track down a lot of those, though I also really love stuff from the Build shows. But I wanna collect/build a bit of everything.
Heads up, P Bandai USA had some Age stuff in the current batch(if it's still available) if you're USA. Use the Vifam link in my previous post

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I just got an email from USA Gundam Store...There's a Megazord Model Kit for pre-order.

I may need to grab this.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Don't start with Perfect Grade. It's the top line and most expensive of all gunpla excluding certain licensed stuff, partly cause it's huge but super intricate. High grade is the easiest and cheapest but also the smallest. Real grade is the same size as HG but 10 times or more intricate. Master is bigger but similar detail to RG(a touch easier to a RG of the same due to the larger scale).
Other than that be careful of early RG being gernade's cause they didn't figure out the balance yet. But otherwise HG/RG/MG are fine places to start.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Don't start with Perfect Grade. It's the top line and most expensive of all gunpla excluding certain licensed stuff, partly cause it's huge but super intricate. High grade is the easiest and cheapest but also the smallest. Real grade is the same size as HG but 10 times or more intricate. Master is bigger but similar detail to RG(a touch easier to a RG of the same due to the larger scale).
Other than that be careful of early RG being gernade's cause they didn't figure out the balance yet. But otherwise HG/RG/MG are fine places to start.
Ok I'll start with one of the RG I posted when I get the courage lol. or maybe a MG.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I just got an email from USA Gundam Store...There's a Megazord Model Kit for pre-order.

I may need to grab this.
Hm, I wonder how that kit's going to stack up against the Daizyujin super minipla. It looks like it's going for a bit of a glossier/fancier look but doesn't seem as accurate. The only knock against the super minipla is that it's one of the older kits in the line so it's not as amazing as the newer ones.

But I'd take a look if you're curious. Both the Daizyujin/Megazord and Dragon Caesar/Dragonzord kits both just got a reprint and should be available at reasonable prices.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed. Gunpla retailers are the best bets. Newtype is my favorite, but usagundamstore and gundamplanet are good too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Current danger: I'm wanting the whole HG Gundam Witch line… ugh how much damage is that gonna cause

Lovin' the show. Chuchu the best

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Regarding new Gunpla fans. I personally would never recommend HG but rather go to MG. Personally feeling HG and RG might give people the wrong impression how "flexible" they are and how detailled.
With that said, gotta buy HG Aerial soon, mostly because the full mechanic isnt out till next year.

Noticed that in the last few years unofficial and unlicenced models here in China became really good. There are some manufacturers that seem to make actually really good models. I compared the Zero Wing MG to the chinese one (that also costs double as much as the official Bandai one) and man. Its such a huge difference. Unfortunately no clue where to actually get them as it was a present from a friend and it doesnt seem available on the bigger plattforms.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm relatively newish to gunpla insofar that I only picked it up this year but I've built 11 kits so far. As a complete noob if I could change the order I built them I'd have started with the new HG RX-78-2. It was dirt cheap ($10 here) readily available, and the instructions had english and japanese as well as explainers for the various icons they use. It was super easy to build with only 2 or 3 stickers and it was a quick build with no complicated gimmicks.

It was a great build experience and I'd think the perfect first build to see if the hobby is up your alley. The low upfront cost means if you don't like it you're not out the $50+ for an MG, and if you do like it every collection needs a RX-78-2 so you're already set.

I've had terrible luck with MGs but apparently that's because the ones I picked up were less than ideal builds. I'd check reviews carefully before snagging any MGs to make sure the build and final fit isn't super fragile.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
Anyone know what tools I can use? I'm new to this and want to get my first Gunpla soonish. And I see mixed things. I saw people say they can just use Godhand nippers without needing sandpaper and a hobby knife. or Some who use sandpaper, a hobby knife, and 2 different nippers. What is the cheapest way? I'm fine with just getting the Godhand nipper and sandpaper. Any tips?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what tools I can use? I'm new to this and want to get my first Gunpla soonish. And I see mixed things. I saw people say they can just use Godhand nippers without needing sandpaper and a hobby knife. or Some who use sandpaper, a hobby knife, and 2 different nippers. What is the cheapest way? I'm fine with just getting the Godhand nipper and sandpaper. Any tips?
I used these and they were fine for the level I was at. 20 bucks and has everything you need:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

If you're just getting into it?

All-in-one starter kit

I wouldn't overthink it. Something simple like this is perfect. Eventually, you can upgrade to some expensive sprue cutters, specialty tools, etc. I mean, I pretty much use my Godhand sprue cutters + exacto knife. I barely sand anything anymore because I'm not making display kits. I just enjoy the scratch build process. Start with a basic kit to see what part of the hobby you enjoy, and flesh out your model supply kit as you progress.

The only change I might make to that kit I linked is that I bought a big cutting mat. But that's because I like to have everything spread out.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I used these and they were fine for the level I was at. 20 bucks and has everything you need:

If you're just getting into it?

All-in-one starter kit

I wouldn't overthink it. Something simple like this is perfect. Eventually, you can upgrade to some expensive sprue cutters, specialty tools, etc. I mean, I pretty much use my Godhand sprue cutters + exacto knife. I barely sand anything anymore because I'm not making display kits. I just enjoy the scratch build process. Start with a basic kit to see what part of the hobby you enjoy, and flesh out your model supply kit as you progress.

The only change I might make to that kit I linked is that I bought a big cutting mat. But that's because I like to have everything spread out.

Thank you! I do like the one that comes with the mat and the different sandpaper. Does this mean I don't need the Godhand cutters?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! I do like the one that comes with the mat and the different sandpaper. Does this mean I don't need the Godhand cutters?

If you're wanting to buy a solid pair up front, you can buy something like this:

GodHand from NewType

If you decide to spend $50+ on a pair, just get them from a reputable store. I wouldn't trust Amazon or eBay since a lot of Chinese knockoffs are out there.

Unless you're able to get a pair of godhands for very cheap, don't jump straight to godhands for your first kit. You don't even know if you'll like doing it.

I've built more than 50 kits and never used sandpaper. I prefer to use my hobby knife to carefully shave away nub marks. Some folks think it looks bad and prefer sanding and I can't blame them.

All you NEED is a pair of nippers and a hobby knife. Those starter sets linked above are perfect for that. You'll discover what methods work for you.

But also this.

Nippers/sprue cutter + hobby knife is all you need.

I would suggest a self healing cutting mat as a "not needed but STRONGLY recommended".

You can get the tools you need to start for $15-20, or you can spend $100+ for the same tools at higher quality. Just depends on your budget.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're able to get a pair of godhands for very cheap, don't jump straight to godhands for your first kit. You don't even know if you'll like doing it.

I've built more than 50 kits and never used sandpaper. I prefer to use my hobby knife to carefully shave away nub marks. Some folks think it looks bad and prefer sanding and I can't blame them.

All you NEED is a pair of nippers and a hobby knife. Those starter sets linked above are perfect for that. You'll discover what methods work for you.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
you don't need them but Godhand nippers are very convenient.
I use Godhand nippers and a hobby knife, no sandpaper.

but yeah as a beginner I'd just start with cheaper nippers

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly

Thank you! Your responses were a lot more helpful than Reddit It seems to get lost. I think I'll get one of those kits and start my journey!

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I just got my first Gundam model earlier this year (HG Barbados) and I just bought the $20 Amazon kit and a cutting mat. It works great TBH.
Current danger: I'm wanting the whole HG Gundam Witch line… ugh how much damage is that gonna cause

Lovin' the show. Chuchu the best
That whole line is going to kill me. I love everything about the designs and the show itself could end up being one of my favorite Gundam's. I need the Aerial and Dilanza for sure though.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly

Question. How do you use the Godhand nippers and the hobby knife? I thought the Hobby knife wasn't needed if you have the Godhand because its so close.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I just got my first Gundam model earlier this year (HG Barbados) and I just bought the $20 Amazon kit and a cutting mat. It works great TBH.

That whole line is going to kill me. I love everything about the designs and the show itself could end up being one of my favorite Gundam's. I need the Aerial and Dilanza for sure though.
I mean grunts are always fun so Chuchu's modded trainer is a must have

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Regarding new Gunpla fans. I personally would never recommend HG but rather go to MG. Personally feeling HG and RG might give people the wrong impression how "flexible" they are and how detailled.
If you have a house or a lot of space, sure. But I think HG/RG kits are ideal for people starting out and not wanting to immediately invest on a large kit that might cost a lot more. I wouldn't recommend a big RG kit like Sinanju, Eva, or Gaogaigar for a beginner either. But something like the new RG Wing isn't a bad pick, or any of the Origin HGs.