Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'd always been on the fence about starting with gunpla but a trip to Japan and subsequent tour of countless model kit shops finally broke me. Well, that and the fact that they are doing stuff like RG GaoGaiGar and Super Robot Wars kits. I'm 3 in now, my first two of course had to be Alteisen and Cybuster:

0UI9VKn.jpeg

0czyITi.jpeg

Cybuster was my first experiment with topcoating and I fucked up one piece. Had to give it an alcohol bath, which ate the colour correcting stickers, but they looked like shit anyways so I just painted them back on with markers.

Gonna have to preorder HG Weissritter when I can, but sounds like that's not out for a few months at least.

Just started learning how to weather with sponge. It's quite fun, but hopefully I didn't go overboard with this.
0rA6njK.png

Wow, that looks great. I actually just finished the MG Gouf Custom and was thinking of doing the MG Ez-8 eventually. I mean, it's old, but so was the Gouf and it can't possibly be more of a pain in the ass than the 60+ beads I had to sand down for its 'hoses'. Its topcoat is still drying but I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow. I should probably take better pictures than just standing them in my work area, too.

Next up is MG Barbatos, which I've heard nothing but praise for. I haven't started putting it together but I'm already messing with it a bit, for example I like the colour of a gold gundam marker for its head crest and fins but I couldn't physically fit the nib in between the fins. Tried pooling a glob of the marker paint and smearing it in there with a small paintbrush, which worked shockingly well. So, off to a good start.

Building these has definitely brought out the Macguyver in me. I'm slowly amassing a set of tools but I'm trying to do it as cheaply/imaginatively as possible - lots of trips to the dollar store. I assume at some point I'm going to turn into an Airbrush Guy but maybe not quite yet.

May 24, 2019
SDCS Tornado with some gunmetal EX marker touch ups.
SD frame w/ cartoon eyes:
tcT1VJb.jpeg
8FvWzm6.jpeg

CS frame with 'serious' robot eyes.
YGjZs4n.jpeg

CS with cartoon eyes, which is definitely what I'm sticking with. I need that personality.
DZr0JYD.jpeg

I forgot to try the 'serious' eyes with SD frame, and I'm not swapping that out again, lol.

edit: Anyone else think they should try including toon eye options with the MGSD kits? Like they're all cool and detailed, but the SD goofiness is still in there!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well I gave it a shot and improvised a sprue holder for my last two builds and it's been working great

ALVcaXe_d.webp

Surprising how well 2 Ice trays and the right size box works. I have one or two bigger kits that might not but it does for most of my backlog. As for my most recent builds, decided to knock out my SRWOG's that have been sitting in my backlog for ages. Don't have a good place in my space for the photo box so messy pics

qOfqCCx_d.webp

96jtc9K_d.webp

Wbnf2fR_d.webp

Plus my current display shelf
mPmZbVy_d.webp

Could probably make a bit more space if I used some action bases but haven't been in the mood yet.

I was gonna wait till I got to the episode in the anime but the dub for Gundam seed on Netflix is missing some character tracks. So I might go ahead and build the Hg Lagowe. That or I'll just watch the episode then build it XD. Leaning towards maybe building Full Mechanics Amaim soon. We'll see after the Lagowe probably

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Metal Gear hype from 3's remake is really getting me now, god I wish Kotobukiya would do more Metal Gear.
Their Rex, Ray and Sahelanthropus models are literally 3 of my favorite bits of merchandise I own.

So many they could do
OsYggBf.jpg
gQvJVlc.jpg
s-l1200.jpg

Or just the other Rays from MGS2 and Revengence they cancelled back in 2015
5ZjA8if.jpeg

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this old fella, my first MG:

qoipH8i.png

It was a huge pain in the ass but I learned a lot in the process. So much sanding...

And a much nicer picture of that Cybuster:

DHL1h2q.jpeg

Well I gave it a shot and improvised a sprue holder for my last two builds and it's been working great

Surprising how well 2 Ice trays and the right size box works. I have one or two bigger kits that might not but it does for most of my backlog. As for my most recent builds, decided to knock out my SRWOG's that have been sitting in my backlog for ages. Don't have a good place in my space for the photo box so messy pics

If I could find the Alt Nacht for a reasonable price I'd consider building it even though I've already done the regular version. Maybe down the line so I can see how much I've improved over time, I definitely made some fuckups on mine since it was my first real kit, but they are small enough to ignore I guess..

For now, mainly just waiting on Weissritter to release before I get more SRW (Trombe is cool though). Though if they put out a transforming Aussenseiter that Daizengar can ride that'd be kinda sick (and expensive for me).

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just finished this old fella, my first MG:

qoipH8i.png

It was a huge pain in the ass but I learned a lot in the process. So much sanding...

And a much nicer picture of that Cybuster:

DHL1h2q.jpeg

If I could find the Alt Nacht for a reasonable price I'd consider building it even though I've already done the regular version. Maybe down the line so I can see how much I've improved over time, I definitely made some fuckups on mine since it was my first real kit, but they are small enough to ignore I guess..

For now, mainly just waiting on Weissritter to release before I get more SRW (Trombe is cool though). Though if they put out a transforming Aussenseiter that Daizengar can ride that'd be kinda sick (and expensive for me).
I still need them to do the dang Valsione and Grungust! Also yeah the line is great, I also have Cybuster, Gespenst and DyGenGuar. Getting a bit tired of Huckebein variants tho(I mean they still haven't done the one I wanted, the original lake blue one tho)

Oct 25, 2017
May 24, 2019
Picked up some random stuff today.
2BFltrp.jpeg
MErQQdC.jpeg

Got the MG Guncannon from a Facebook Marketplace trade. It's red logo with the card insert. I don't know if that means it's from the original 2001 run, but it sure isn't a modern reprint. If the plastic is about 25 years old, hopefully it doesn't just crumble!
But I started out with the Mobile Haro. I used Gunmetal EX Gundam Marker on the body and eyes. It's obviously not very even with the marker, but I think it looks cool a bit rough like he's been out scrapping. Too bad the Haro's from before they got the mouth opening.
00T2fuI.jpeg
SeGKCZc.jpeg
Jt2bxRw.jpeg

And by the look of that torso, the Phantom's gonna be tiny!

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
Here's the crazy Phantom Gundam. I'd rather have the Ghost Gundam, but for the price difference I'll settle for green 😆
mjd8Xm6.jpeg
Pz2Cql8.jpeg

This flight form is so stupid, I love it.
s2kPgYI.jpeg

This is the EMS-TC02 from the Gundam Crossbone Ghost manga, which I haven't read. I looked up the TC01 out of curiosity...
83R2rzZ.png

The Crossbone Manga series' are full of the nuttiest designs. They've made two for this guy (cause it transforms into left and right hands), but I need more.

Oct 26, 2017
Pic of the new Weissritter kit from the hobby show. Been a decade since I've built the kotobukiya kit so I had forgotten how cartoony the details on this look. Or maybe it stands out more due to having more "realistic" proportions than the old chunkier one that evoked the design from the games. Lot of oversized black lines and flat empty space that would be good candidates for panel scribing.

Qg14n13.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pic of the new Weissritter kit from the hobby show. Been a decade since I've built the kotobukiya kit so I had forgotten how cartoony the details on this look. Or maybe it stands out more due to having more "realistic" proportions than the old chunkier one that evoked the design from the games. Lot of oversized black lines and flat empty space that would be good candidates for panel scribing.

Qg14n13.jpg
It's based off the anime version fyi. Definitely glad I have it preordered…

but somehow they've managed to do all the Huckebein's but the one I want the original lake blue one. Also when's the Grungust and Valsione Bandai!

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!

Qg14n13.jpg

Kotobukiya? That's a Bandai kit. If you want I can upload pic I took yesterday but its nearly same angle (they did have more sign boards up when I took it though)

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I think they meant the koto kit they built a decade ago

Ahhhhhhh I misread that then!

There was nothing terribly too exciting at the show yesterday outside that RG Shining. Most of what was there we had seen before at Shizuoka. Sad the Bandai Banzai tree kit looks like it will be P-Bandai only (and 30,000 yen to boot!). Its open for order now with March release date which I'm debating to get because it did look quite nice not to mention unique.

The most exciting thing for me at the show was without a doubt the announcement that Beemax is going to be making a full on 1/12th scale Mazda 787

View: https://x.com/hobbylink_scale/status/1844590698101867007

Also the new Liberty Walk modified Lamborghini kit from Aoshima

View: https://x.com/hobbylink_scale/status/1844610795755405548

Also for Aoshima they are doing the VW beetle in their 1/32 line of snap car kits and previous gen Supra will be coming in their 1/24 line of snap kits will have to buy both of those.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Had a fun time with this, some cool techniques considering it's pre the current overhauls but no Polycaps. Separation is close to the limit of the scale too. Just love how unique the design is, one of the few truly new designs out of Seed. Did a bit of paint touch ups

9TFD1fS_d.webp

mXzq3np_d.webp

zStz83E_d.webp

YHnZ7Ih_d.webp

Put on the list of I'd love a MG but unlikely to ever happen.

Sigh dealing with some shipping hell on my BBtS pile of loot order(time was up despite there still being a bunch of reprint preorders I'm waiting to show up) second day in a row FedEx has ghosted me despite things being open and me being here.

May 24, 2019
Trying out weathering on an MG Guncannon with a Tamiya compact set. Mostly just dusting away the plastic shine and caking up dirt around the feet. I think I still have to work on that. The 20+ year old rub-on decals broke up by themselves, but that suits the slightly grungy look.
dIQY22U.jpeg
6m4GXGC.jpeg

RhVBWH5.jpeg

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Had a fun time with this, some cool techniques considering it's pre the current overhauls but no Polycaps. Separation is close to the limit of the scale too. Just love how unique the design is, one of the few truly new designs out of Seed. Did a bit of paint touch ups

9TFD1fS_d.webp

mXzq3np_d.webp

zStz83E_d.webp

YHnZ7Ih_d.webp

Put on the list of I'd love a MG but unlikely to ever happen.

Sigh dealing with some shipping hell on my BBtS pile of loot order(time was up despite there still being a bunch of reprint preorders I'm waiting to show up) second day in a row FedEx has ghosted me despite things being open and me being here.
Is that a straight up Alteisen Nacht kit or did you paint it?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is that a straight up Alteisen Nacht kit or did you paint it?
They did Nacht as a P-Bandai recolor with a sword and I bit. Sadly I already bit on base Gespenst on a deal before the blue PB recolor went up and I didn't have the budget for that one. Excluding DyGenGuar, just about every HGSRWOG so far has gotten a P-Bandai variant(finish, color/sub-variant or a more major variant)

Also my fresh pics of the build are like the fourth entry on this page XD.

I'm building Ultraman suit Taro next. Curious to see the action version articulation improvements as I've only built Ace(light ver) so far from the line

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
They did Nacht as a P-Bandai recolor with a sword and I bit. Sadly I already bit on base Gespenst on a deal before the blue PB recolor went up and I didn't have the budget for that one. Excluding DyGenGuar, just about every HGSRWOG so far has gotten a P-Bandai variant(finish, color/sub-variant or a more major variant)

Also my fresh pics of the build are like the fourth entry on this page XD.

I'm building Ultraman suit Taro next. Curious to see the action version articulation improvements as I've only built Ace(light ver) so far from the line
Oh, very nice. I might try to see if I get some more rare SRWOG kits when I go to Japan next time. Ordering P-Bandai is just too expensive here.

I bit on a Cybuster kit as I've been on a bit of SRW classic binge lately and boy is Cybuster always fun.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh, very nice. I might try to see if I get some more rare SRWOG kits when I go to Japan next time. Ordering P-Bandai is just too expensive here.

I bit on a Cybuster kit as I've been on a bit of SRW classic binge lately and boy is Cybuster always fun.
Yeah I've got the whole line excluding some Huckebein variants(and its vehicle), it's been great! I'm just not a big Huckebein fan outside the mk1 in lake blue. Got the next 2 preordered too. Really hope the next announced is Grungust(plus they could do so many of its variants) or Valsione tho, those 2 are my faves outside of Cybuster. I'd also take the other elemental gods from Cybuster for that matter.

Tho as for right now builds after Taro, either FM Amaim or moderoid Vilkiss I think

AristoCat

Oct 27, 2017
Started this hobby 1 month ago ; so I wanted to make a quick recap of my 4 HG Build so far, quite enjoyed it, but taking pictures is really the icing of the cake.

(my 5y.o got me this one for my bday)

and I'm currently building my first MG; I took the RX-78-2 version 3.0.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Tonight(10/16) US P-Bandai drop has a bunch of surprises, including something I'm not sure how duckroll Is excited about or not cause I'm not sure if it's a random reprint or part of a random print but hey. 1/48 Layzner!
[TOMORROW] #GUNDAM #DUBINE #LAYZNER #LGAIM #XABUNGLE
The latest Hobby drop will be available 10/16 @ 9:00 PM EDT!

- MG 1/100 VICTORY TWO ASSAULT BUSTER GUNDAM Ver.Ka
- MG 1/100 EXPANSION EFFECT UNIT "WINGS OF LIGHT" for VICTORY TWO GUNDAM Ver.Ka
- HG 1/72 TOKAMAK DUNBINE
- AURA BATTLER DUNBINE SET1
- 1/48 LAYZNER
- HG 1/144 L-GAIM [SPECIAL COATING]
- 1/100 L-GAIM MK-2
- 1/100 WALKER GALLIA

Check out these kits and more below!

Hobby Online Shop

Official mail order site of Japanese toy maker [BANDAI]. We sell limited figures and plastic models of popular animations such as Gundam, Sailor Moon, Digital Monsters.
See you there!

I'm super tempted but the Layzner and the Gallia but anybody have any idea what lines their part of or if they're reprints if they're any good?
N1145076001001_006.jpg

N2001378001001_001.jpg

Pics seems like they have modern separation at least. Not something I meant to spend on right now but I've been waiting for a Layzner and that Gallia seems solid too

Edit: seems Layzner is an R3 line reprint, a mid 00's non-Gundam MGish line. So are Gallia and L-Gaim mk2

Last edited: