Votes: 369 60.3%
  • NY

Votes: 243 39.7%

• Total voters

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
They're magnificent, if you're ever in Glasgow I recommend it!
I wish I had known about that place when I stayed in Glasgow for a week 2 years ago, the only pizza I had there was real C-tier stuff, but then again, I was quite drunk and just tagging along a group of Scots I had met during the WEST brewery tour.
I did have a great time eating some KFC trash and reading The Witcher while suuuuper hungover the next day, though. Gotta love your heathenistic opening times. Buying a book on Sunday, a sinful joy.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The good thing about the NY metro area is that you can have both.
This is something people seem to fail to understand. Lot of the new wave of artisanal pizza in NYC are all Neapolitan styles. One of my favorites is Saraghina:

178032-201611181334.jpg

6c52a22d-1242-4d93-b838-aebb6f557b4d.jpg

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, Neopolitan for sure. NY/NJ pizza isn't the best pizza, it's just better than most popular regional pizza styles (like Chicago).

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I love Neapolitan pizza but it doesn't travel very well in my experience so I only ever have it if I'm sitting down at a restaurant.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Neapolitan looks overpriced and snobby. I'll take me some down to earth NY style every time.

Maybe in NY, but Neapolitan is really the basic version of a cheap meal in Italy. I was there a month ago, and had my true and excellent Neapolitan Pizza for what, 8 EUR (Full pizza)? And it was in northern Italy at Riva de Guardia, not exactly cheapest area in Italy (I'd bet in Naples, I would have it for 5-6 EUR). And the one place where I go in Belgium has them for 10 EUR.

Never tasted an NY Style pizza that could compare in quality to a Neapolitan. The dough, the cooking, the perfect mix of simple and tasty ingredient.

I am not dissing on NY style of course, it is great, but I could easily spend my life without it if Neapolitan pizza is the only thing I can have.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I've posted an article about some of the best New York slice places (this is slices only, when you start talking full pies there's even more amazing spots), and it has pics for all of them, but here it is, once more:

www.seriouseats.com

The Best Pizza Slices in New York City

The New York pizza slice has entered a new golden age, and these are the 26 slices that prove it.
People should really read this article. I also posted in the other pizza thread last night. I think non NYC-ers don't understand the pizza environment in NYC at all.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
haven't had either one. i'm most excited to try nyc pizza because of how annoying people are about it. neapolitan looks great, too.

i can see myself liking nyc more because i've been raised on american pizza, which nyc looks like the final boss of.

Last edited:

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Well, I'm sorry for you if you had a soupy Neapolitan, but normally, the cheese is not runny, and neither is the sauce if dosed properly.

Or do you base yourself on the picture assuming that flattened mozza slices are liquid?
Nope, I'm basing it in the majority of Neapolitan pizzas I've had. It's possible I've just never had a good Neapolitan pizza, but OTOH I've never had a bad NY slice!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I've had a good amount of Neapolitan in both Italy and the US. I've also had a good amount of NY pizza.

NY is king for me.

Pizza is subjective though. A pizza skin is a canvas and pizza itself is art. Pizza is edible freedom. Saying any particular style is objectively best is objectively wrong.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Said it in the other pizza thread and I'll say it here - go with New Haven style pizza. It and Detroit style stand above everything else.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
NY no question

Folding that neopolitan will make a huge mess. You cant eat that while walking

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The pizza I've had in NYC was good, not great, but not awful either. A solid 7. I voted for Neapolitan in the poll though, because it's simply a better pizza.

Where NYC wins though is the fact that the slices are dirt cheap, hot, fresh, and ready for you at basically any time of day. Something that other cities can't really claim or provide. That is the real magic of a NYC slice IMO.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Something about curled pepperoni is revolting to me. looks like little pimples or like a trypophobia frog.