Neapolitan vs NY

• Neapolitan

Votes: 369 60.3%
  • NY

Votes: 243 39.7%

• Total voters

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There's this place in NY called Prince Street Pizza that has some amazing pizza. Dat pepperoni.

o.jpg
Cup and char pepperoni is so goddamn delicious.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love both, but Neapolitan (the OG) takes it for me.

One of my favourite pizza places is Homeslice which essentially blends the two together:

homeslice-14.jpg

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was really disappointed by the pizza in the US. We have tons of Italians in Paris so real pizza is everywhere. The NY is good but it isn't real pizza

Grzi

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People have this weird prejudice about pizza in New York either based on them having a negative experience with American food, or with them eating a shitty slice somewhere. Pizza in NY is mostly made by Italians, or people with Italian heritage, there's a lot of skill and love involved. AFAIK there's over 2,500 pizza spots in NY, of course there's bad ones, that's why you have to know where to look.

Here's a good, fairly recent article on good NY pizza:

www.seriouseats.com

The Best Pizza Slices in New York City

The New York pizza slice has entered a new golden age, and these are the 26 slices that prove it.

Although there have been some great spots recently opened, like Sauce and Upside Pizza.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of those two pics, definitely the Neapolitan one. But most of the time I prefer the NY one if it has more toppings, because the one in the OP doesn't look like it has a lot to go for it.

These type of slices are usually my jam. Here are some random pics, but it always includes different kinds of red meat:

BBQ_Meat_Lovers-1787.png

Mama_Meatlovers-5788.png

_cms1563353464_meat-lovers.png

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
New York style from place is great, but a perfect classic pizza is just next level.

These discussions are pointless tho coz everyone is already committed before even thinking about it let alone trying the various options.

never been to Naples either so there's still room to grow on that front.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Neapolitan looks tasty so that one. The other looks like what you'd find at any kebab shop on a night out. Useful when drunk and it's 2am but not a preference otherwise.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Real Pizza vs Imitation Pizza.

Neapolitan looks tasty so that one. The other looks like what you'd find at any kebab shop on a night out. Useful when drunk and it's 2am but not a preference otherwise.
Funnily enough the same argument can be made for Kebap.

Genuine moist meaty finely cut Turkish Yaprak (Leaf-Cut) Döner Kebap from a reputable respected Turkish restaurant. The equivalent of "Neapolitan".

Fast food chunky dry fatty bread mixed "Kebap" from fast food takeaway shops in Europe. The equivalent of "New York".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Funnily enough the same argument can be made for Kebap.

Genuine moist meaty finely cut Turkish Yaprak (Leaf-Cut) Döner Kebap from a reputable respected Turkish restaurant. The equivalent of "Neapolitan".

Fast food chunky dry fatty bread mixed "Kebap" from fast food takeaway shops in Europe. The equivalent of "New York".
Shamefully I haven't had anything other than the cheap kebabs from takeaway shops, so I should definitely keep an eye out for a good Turkish restaurant when this is all over to get a sense of what it should be like!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Neopolitan is gatekeeping my access to the cheese :U
NY slice for instant cheese gratification.

Dec 31, 2017
So neapolitan is most likely the better Pizza 9 times out of 10, especially if you're in Napoli.

But I will say, the New York Slice serves a purpose as well. It's more diverse and versatile. Especially for on the go quick eating.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I just don't get it, there's no 'e' in Napoli, and there's no 'e' in the first Naples syllable. Where does it come from?
I'm not sure they're to blame, but feel free to shake your fist at the German speakers of the world:
de.wikipedia.org

Neapel – Wikipedia

But jokes aside:
"From Latin neāpolītānus, from Neāpolis, from Ancient Greek Νεάπολις (Neápolis, literally "new city"), a Greek city in modern Naples."
So basically, the "e" was there, but it was dropped from Napoli and Naples.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Thanks. Still feels kind of random, but I get it now.
That's how language (in Europe, but probably everywhere) be.
If I recall correctly, the word "peata" is used in Irish Gaelic to refer to pet animals, taken from the English "pet".
But the English word "pet" is taken from the Irish Gaelic word "peata" meaning "darling" or something along those lines.
So yeah, don't expect anything regarding language to make too much sense, haha
it's been a while since I took Gaelic classes to take my story with a grain of salt

The best pizza is from the chilled section at M and S.
You probably eat it chilled too

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
While I do love a great neapolitan pizza I usually try to try out whatever pizza is usually served in the country I'm visiting. At least once. Street food in most countries are usually great.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Naples, no question. Mind you: they might tell you that it's Neapolitan pizza, it may look (a bit) like Neapolitan pizza, but more often than not it's not. Also for me, pizza has to be cooked in a brick wood oven, basically BBQ for baking.
NY pizza is something you'd find in a good bakery in Italy. Good for a quick lunch/dinner, but too flat for anything else, I'd rather eat Chicago thin crust or deep dish even just for the novelty factor. Also lol @ all the Americans insisting that their pizza is better.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Naples, no question. Mind you: they might tell you that it's Neapolitan pizza, it may look (a bit) like Neapolitan pizza, but more often than not it's not. Also for me, pizza has to be cooked in a brick wood oven, basically BBQ for baking.
So what are the precise factors for true Neapolitan pizza, to you?

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
The answer is Neapolitan. NY is still very good but a real neapolitan cooked on a fire is one of the best things I've ever eaten

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've never been to New York, but I've been to Naples and ate a Neapolitan pizza. Didn't look like much, but it was without a doubt the greatest pizza I've ever had. I would go to Naples just to experience their pizza again. It was that good.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
So what are the precise factors for true Neapolitan pizza, to you?
The crust has to be soft and slightly elastic, almost at the point to be considered slightly chewy but not quite.
You must be able to pull it apart with a fork when piping hot.
You must be able to fold it without any tears, even to the crust.
The long rising process must leave a slight aftertaste in your mouth that I can only describe as slightly resembling toasted oats.

Then you can go crazy with the condiments, as long as they don't overwhelm the taste of the dough.
US is probably one of the places where you can achieve the same or very similar results: high-gluten flour is not that common in other parts of the world, and your locally-made European cheeses are pretty good. However, the only time I tried a Neapolitan-style pizza there it looked like one but it wasn't that good, should have found a better restaurant probably.

I think adaptability is the basis of cooking and I'm pretty open minded about pizza (I must be the only Italian who thinks that pinapple is an acceptable topping if it's not too sweet and it's properly cooked), if we're talking about the best though the simplicity and subtlety of the Neapolitan pizza is the most satisfying that I ever tasted, but even when it was available everywhere around me it's not like I only ate that. I miss that terrific place run by people who lived in Chicago for decades and made a killer thin-crust :(