Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did you see it at an AMC? I think that's something they do with select movies, get a quick interview with the directors or producers thanking people for seeing it at the cinema. Dying business and all that.

They had a similar thing for Moana with Musker and Clements.
It was a Cinemark theatre. I guess that makes sense, it was just weird to see something like that after the previews and short

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Did you see it at an AMC? I think that's something they do with select movies, get a quick interview with the directors or producers thanking people for seeing it at the cinema. Dying business and all that.

They had a similar thing for Moana with Musker and Clements.

Nah, seems like this is everywhere or least many places. Saw it at a Regency theater.

I am not really against the idea, but after the 20 min Frozen short, it just ended up being get on with it at that point for this.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll echo the Frozen feature-length-short negatives.

As for Coco, it was amazing. Even better, I saw it with my wife & her Cuban family. Pixar really nailed the negatives, positives, & endearing qualities of a Hispanic family.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do I need to watch this if I saw Book of Life already?

Really? FUCKING REALLY? What the hell happened to read the god damn OP?

tumblr_nynu9wNa6M1t75145o1_400.gif

SIkS6Ya.gif

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Are people hating on the Frozen feature because it's Frozen, or because it's too long? Because if it's the former, hating Frozen just because it's Frozen (or because of "Let It Go") got old a month after it released.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Are people hating on the Frozen feature because it's Frozen, or because it's too long? Because if it's the former, hating Frozen just because it's Frozen (or because of "Let It Go") got old a month after it released.

I didn't like it because it felt too long for a feature short. The songs make me feel like forever. The same thing I felt during Lava, the short before inside out.
I guess I should have know it when it first was planned to show on ABC.
It also felt like this is an idea they once had for Frozen 2 but realize not good enough/ too short for that. It isn't bad and I think it's good way to remind people of Frozen. The short also seems to have a high budget which I was surprised for a short. It's just that I didn't like Olaf in the original Frozen and the story was thin .

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they're going to bring the same voice over to Spain that's used in Latin America. Great. Wouldn't have made any sense watching a film set in Mexico and hearing Spaniard voices. It was the only thing I needed to know. I'll try to convince some friends to watch it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame, because as a special, Frozen worked really well. Nice story and energetic pacing. But to cram it before a feature film hurts both the film and the special. It had no place being there at that length, and very much reeked of Disney being worried that audiences wouldn't go see a film about brown people and needed Frozen to sell the film.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

I hated because it features Olaf, who was the worst thing about the movie next to the trolls. That, and no original Pixar short.

It's a shame, because as a special, Frozen worked really well. Nice story and energetic pacing. But to cram it before a feature film hurts both the film and the special. It had no place being there at that length, and very much reeked of Disney being worried that audiences wouldn't go see a film about brown people and needed Frozen to sell the film.

Doubt that. I didn't even know it was there until I saw a poster at the theater.

Nov 13, 2017
Saw it and I LOVED it! Cried during the ending. It was so beautiful. The CGI during the water cave scene was blowing my mind.

The Frozen film really needs to be removed though.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeap, I am with you. 100% this being the rationale behind the short inclusion.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now

The length. Didn't mind the songs, loved the traditions mentioned, and I thought it was nice...

But just didn't seem like it belonged there is all.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Disney be scared about aduiences not being willing to see a film about brown people right after Moana's success? If there was ever a time they'd be confident in a darker cast, it'd be now.

Nov 13, 2017
Why would Disney be scared about aduiences not being willing to see a film about brown people right after Moana's success? If there was ever a time they'd be confident in a darker cast, it'd be now.

Moana was supposed to be the next Frozen but it underperformed. Mexican-Americans are under constant, racially-charged fire from a lot of unkind Americans ever since the wall stuff started happening.

I see Disney's logic, but I wish they hadn't done it. The short added nothing.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this with my cousins and little sisters today. Great movie, another Pixar hit. Probably the most impressive visuals they've done to date.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Even though I saw some of those twists coming didn't stop me from having an emotional reaction in the end.

And the moments I didn't predict were great.
Regarding the villain
like how they make Ernesto's catch phrase a generic follow your dreams "seize your moment" that will inspire Miguel to move forward but instead it's a chilling statement of the degree of Ernestos scumminess.

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Moana was supposed to be the next Frozen but it underperformed. Mexican-Americans are under constant, racially-charged fire from a lot of unkind Americans ever since the wall stuff started happening.

The only flaw with this logic is that frozen was also shown in Mexico's theaters, so I'm giving Disney the benefit of the doubt.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think it under performed. Did as well as Big Hero, which they've turned into a marketing machine. It's just not a Frozen/Zootopia level hit is all. But 650mil on a 150mil budget is still a massive success. With Moana being highly marketable.

I feel Disney learned their lesson from Princess and the Frog, which was advertised poorly. I went into it not knowing much, since most of the advertisement and making of previews I saw focused on Disney's return to 2D animation and first black princess. While Moana and CoCo, I feel their advertising is much more akin to the rest of the catalogue where it's another Disney adventure, that just so happens to be using X as a setting.

Hell, they even improved by blurring that line between their normal films and princess line, which was pretty stark in the 00's.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's too long, didn't fit with the movie at all, wasn't one of the cute 10 minute Pixar shorts before Pixar movies, and was purely a children's show rather than something both adults and kids can like (depsite having a couple jokes that only adults could get). I really liked the full Frozen movie, but this was one of those TV children's specials based on popular franchises, I've never liked those. A step below direct-to-DVD shows.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Some people left my theater to tell them they were showing the wrong movie, after the Frozen crap had been going on for 15 minutes. Definitely a bad idea to put that before the movie, especially since they never mentioned they were going to even put it there.

Nah, seems like this is everywhere or least many places. Saw it at a Regency theater.
I am not really against the idea, but after the 20 min Frozen short, it just ended up being get on with it at that point for this.
Not only that, but it spoiled one of the best visuals in the movie, right before showing the movie! After the Frozen thing, that bit just pissed me off.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never read the Hobbit so there ya go. Plus books don't equal films. I liked the Hobbit film. Wouldn't call it a kids movie. Nor would I let kids under like 12 watch it.

OK, I know this is days old but this is just ridiculous. You'd rather watch a flaming piece of shit like The Battle of the Five Armies instead of a legitimately good movie because... one passes your minimum standards of """"""""""""""""""""maturity"""""""""""""""""""" and the other doesn't?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The Frozen short went on way too long, and the songs were clearly not written by Kristen and Robert Lopez so they stuck out like a sore thumb. I wasn't shocked at all when I saw the "original songs by" credits.

Coco was phenomenal, though. Incredibly visually impressive to watch, fun story, entertaining elements, and an ending that managed to be both incredibly predictable and powerfully moving. You know a movie is doing its job right when it takes the most predictable ending possible and still shatters your heart into a million pieces in the process.

Oct 26, 2017
Took the kids to see this one. Loooooved it. Beautifully sad in moments. The scenes of Coco with her dad were very sweet.

And as for the Frozen short, my littlest one loved it, but Frozen is her movie. The oldest however leaned over and asked how long it was, echoing people here, as it started to drag. It would be been fine if shorter, but at that length it should've just been on TV.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I got to say, the last time we got animation films this good was back in Pixar's Heyday with Incredibles, followed by Rat, Up, Wall-E, etc.

In the past 2 years, we got Inside Out, Moana, Zootopia, and CoCo. All dealing with adult themes, while having great characters and story. I mean a film about depression, followed by racism, followed by death.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
What a fantastic movie and a real tear jerker. It's very rare a movie gets to me but damn if I didn't have to fight back the tears.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think it's pretty funny and ironic that they got the Lopezes to hang out a song for Coco when I didn't see their names anywhere in the credits for the Frozen short.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! How well does Coco tackles death? I want to take my 4 year old daughter and I don't mind exposing her to the topic depending on how it's managed.

She's pretty aware and pays a lot of attention, and she tends to get pretty sad when she watches sad moments in movies... For example, she got sad and pretty curious when the grandma died in Trolls, and that movie isn't about the Day of the Dead. I just want her to enjoy the movie and not get hung up on the death theme.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! How well does Coco tackles death? I want to take my 4 year old daughter and I don't mind exposing her to the topic depending on how it's managed.

She's pretty aware and pays a lot of attention, and she tends to get pretty sad when she watches sad moments in movies... For example, she got sad and pretty curious when the grandma died in Trolls, and that movie isn't about the day of the death. I just want her to enjoy the movie and not get hung up on the death theme.

I didn't see it with any kids, but I thought it handled death very well. The movie dresses the concept of death up about as well as it can without trivializing the whole thing, which is impressive for a movie that spends almost its entire runtime in the afterlife.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see it with any kids, but I thought it handled death very well. The movie dresses the concept of death up about as well as it can without trivializing the whole thing, which is impressive for a movie that spends almost its entire runtime in the afterlife.

Thanks! I really want to take her so that's reassuring.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

She's pretty aware and pays a lot of attention, and she tends to get pretty sad when she watches sad moments in movies... For example, she got sad and pretty curious when the grandma died in Trolls, and that movie isn't about the Day of the Dead. I just want her to enjoy the movie and not get hung up on the death theme.

In the OP we added a bit of what the tradition of Dia de Muertos is and a link to the OT of the same for a more in-depth look at it. Give it a look. I guarantee you will enjoy it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every actor in mexican television is white-skinned, be it novelas or just ads, they're white. The US probably has more "brown" mexican actors than Mexico. It's fun.
Is part of this that a lot of US "Mexicans" aren't actually Mexican? (and by this I mean ignorant americans categorizing all latin american immigrants as "Mexicans", to be clear.)

TuturuJones

Oct 30, 2017
Is part of this that a lot of US "Mexicans" aren't actually Mexican? (and by this I mean ignorant americans categorizing all latin american immigrants as "Mexicans", to be clear.)

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. But what I meant was that most actors in mexican TV aren't even mexican. (See: http://www.20minutos.com.mx/noticia...res-argentinos-invaden-telenovelas-mexicanas/) The thing about mexican actors in the US over Mexico was meant as a joke.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just watched it with my 6yr old. She loved it.

That 40 minute Frozen bullshit almost gave me an aneurysm though.