Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Pixar classic.

Was not expecting much because of the previews, but this movie is so fucking good.

Everything about this movie is just... So well done.

Its at the top of my list next to Ratatouille and Toy Story 3.

Everyone, go watch this.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
My best friend growing up is Hispanic. I often went to his house and his mom would be delighted to feed me. She didn't speak a word of English, but she knew "no" after I get stuffed from all the food she would feed me and she wants to serve me more. Just like the grandma in this movie, she would get pissed that I would dare say such a thing, and then when I reluctantly agreed to have more food, she would smile and fill up my plate again. Loved that scene so much.

OP
OP
Realeza

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking records already in China. 1 billion worldwide shouldn't be out of the question imo.

What, really? That's awesome!

I was concerned, because I saw the movie on opening night and my room was half-empty. I guess that was because of the unusual time and date.

Looking at the same theater right now, most of the screenings seem to be full, so I guess word of mouth is spreading.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Breaking records already in China. 1 billion worldwide shouldn't be out of the question imo.

What, really? That's awesome!

I was concerned, because I saw the movie on opening night and my room was half-empty. I guess that was because of the unusual time and date.

Looking at the same theater right now, most of the screenings seem to be full, so I guess word of mouth is spreading.

China Is Cuckoo For 'Coco' (So Far) With $2M Friday And Promising Weekend Pre-Orders

With its latest animated release, Coco, Pixar may finally have a shot at breaking the curse that has relegated it to a distant last place among US animation studios releasing their features in China.

The Mexico-set tale of a boy who defies his family to pursue his dream of a musician's life is off to a rapid start in the U.S. and overseas, and hopes are high that the picture will finally get Pixar its first hit in the Middle Kingdom. On Friday, though the film's results were relatively modest with a $2.0 million debut, exceptionally strong word-of-mouth and robust pre-sales for the rest of the weekend may signal a good future for the toon.

MORE @: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...nd-promising-weekend-pre-orders/#26c066ef3926

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I grew up with Vicente Fernandez being everywhere - just like De La Cruz. To see his analog dragged hit pretty close. I'm also pretty surprised at the amount of Spanish is spoken in the US release, especially with some slang. I looked at gf when Miguel said "no manches". Needed a "guey" to be TRULY authentic.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Yeah, the little behind-the-scenes thing was totally unnecessary and ruined the Land of the Dead reveal, I was annoyed by that too.
I just closed my eyes. So I wasn't visually spoiled at least. I get why they're doing it; they want to help the audience appreciate the work the designers put into the film rather than just having it wash over them, but there has to be a way of doing it without spoiling some of the most impressive visual beats of the movie before you see the movie.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Ima have to go back and watch it in Spanish. Definitely in my top 3 Pixar movies
i pointed out cantiflas to my gf because she doesn't like him. That whole bit was great.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I just closed my eyes. So I wasn't visually spoiled at least. I get why they're doing it; they want to help the audience appreciate the work the designers put into the film rather than just having it wash over them, but there has to be a way of doing it without spoiling some of the most impressive visual beats of the movie before you see the movie.

I'm guessing in this day and age they just excpect everybody has watched all 3 trailers and the 10 minite preview piece.

I always try to limit my exposure to trailers/promotionals so I'm at least a bit suprised so yea it sucks. Especially for Coco which seems to be getting a good bit of word of mouth so many people who show up might not know much about it. Our theatre on opening day had 200 people max. Now its at full capacity for almost every showing (420 seats) so I have good hopes for it.

We also don't have the Frozen short sounds like we dodged a bullet.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
So happy to see this movie being so well received among the public and the critics. Kinda proud too since I'm mexican. When the Pixar crew were doing their research job for the movie, they came to visit my hometown, Guanajuato! I believe that video is somewhere on YouTube and I fanboyed so hard when I saw some footage of the Universidad de Guanajuato shown in there and watching Lee Unkrich, the director, walk between the streets of the city. Damn too bad I never knew when they came I could have taken a pic with the film crew!

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see this movie being so well received among the public and the critics. Kinda proud too since I'm mexican. When the Pixar crew were doing their research job for the movie, they came to visit my hometown, Guanajuato! I believe that video is somewhere on YouTube and I fanboyed so hard when I saw some footage of the Universidad de Guanajuato shown in there and watching Lee Unkrich, the director, walk between the streets of the city. Damn too bad I never knew when they came I could have taken a pic with the film crew!

They were there? Wonder if they took the idea of a shoemaker family from my city Leon hahahaha

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
The credits state which states were visited for researching purposes. Can't recall them all, however.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The credits state which states were visited for researching purposes. Can't recall them all, however.

1. San Andrés Mixquic, Ciudad de México
2. Pátzcuaro, Michoacán (Obviamente)
3. Pirámides de Teotihuacán / Templo Mayor
4. Plaza del Ropero, Guanajuato
5. San Juan Parangaricutiro, Michoacan
6. Panteon Jardín / Tumba de Pedro Infante, Ciudad de México
7. Las calles de Guanajuato (Doble, obviamente)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/20...mexico-que-inspiraron-la-pelicula_a_23262485/

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching Coco and I absolutely loved it. Coco has definitely become one of my favorite Pixar movies <3

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's something curious about the afterlife population: you don't see a lot of "old" people there. It's interesting and sad as well :(
Well it makes sense... because only the ones who are still remembered on earth are "alive" in the world of the dead. So if everyone who remembered them on earth dies/forgets then they disappear from the world of the dead too... i think?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Well it makes sense... because only the ones who are still remembered on earth are "alive" in the world of the dead. So if everyone who remembered them on earth dies/forgets then they disappear from the world of the dead too... i think?
My understanding is putting the picture up gives them life too, even if no one is alive to remember them.

Coco - the last living person to remember Hector - dies before the next Dia de los Muertos, but she remembered Hector long enough to put his photo up, and he's still seen with the other ghosts next year.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My understanding is putting the picture up gives them life too, even if no one is alive to remember them.

Coco - the last living person to remember Hector - dies before the next Dia de los Muertos, but she remembered Hector long enough to put his photo up, and he's still seen with the other ghosts next year.
Well... Miguel.

Oct 25, 2017

My understanding: picture = can cross over on Dia de los muertos, but doesn't inherently mean someone isn't forgotten. For that, you need someone alive who remembers you or people remember the stories told about that person.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hit in China?!

I thought it would be shunned on it being so drenched in Mexican culture or are they more fascinated by the lore than I gave them credit for?

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
OK, I know this is days old but this is just ridiculous. You'd rather watch a flaming piece of shit like The Battle of the Five Armies instead of a legitimately good movie because... one passes your minimum standards of """"""""""""""""""""maturity"""""""""""""""""""" and the other doesn't?

OPINIONS............People have them! And yes I would.

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Sure man; The Incredibles, Inside Out, Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Wall-E, Ratatouille and Up are practically all the same movie. They have zero creativity.
As a 31 year old with no children, i'm just not interested in going out to a theater to pay money to see this. Can I not wait until its on Netflix? Is that a problem? Yes the movies you listed all share similarities IMO. But I never said they weren't creative. Is it that crazy that some people don't like the same movies as others do, or to the same extent?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
There is a line about that in the movie that addresses the idea.

When Chicharrón disappears, Hector tells Miguel it eventually happens to everyone, so I think the implication is that eventually all the people who remembered you in life will eventually die themselves. It is also why people like Hector and Chicharrón despite them all not having family to put up their picture and visit since there must be people who still remember them somewhere to keep their memory alive.

Last edited:

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
Wife and I saw it today. We both loved it. We both love Pixar, but she is half Peruvian so she really also enjoyed seeing a mainly Hispanic cast as well.

Oct 25, 2017
And lmao at possibly the most adult joke I've ever heard in a PG movie

When Hector is singing the song to his friend in the hammock, "and her... tetas/tits ....knuckles, they drag on the floor"
"Those aren't the words!"
"(there are children present..!!)"

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a line about that in the movie that addresses the idea.

When Chicharrón disappears, Hector tells Miguel it eventually happens to everyone, so I think the implication is that eventually all the people who remembered you in life will eventually die themselves. It is also why people like Hector and Chicharrón despite them all not having family to put up their picture and visit since there must be people who still remember them somewhere to keep their memory alive.
Yup, that's the original point i was trying to make. But i am not good with words lol.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a hit in China?!

I thought it would be shunned on it being so drenched in Mexican culture or are they more fascinated by the lore than I gave them credit for?
Why do we assume that a Chinese kid can grow up watching Hollywood movies about high school proms set in Nebraska or anime about ninjas or a girl getting lost in Wonderland on acid (Spirited Away) but not about Mexico's Día de muertos? If it's good it's good and it can resonate worldwide.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My understanding: picture = can cross over on Dia de los muertos, but doesn't inherently mean someone isn't forgotten. For that, you need someone alive who remembers you or people remember the stories told about that person.
Do they mention that stories passed along the generations also work to keep someone alive? If they did I missed it or just forgot.

They said that doesn't count - Miguel only met Hector in the afterlife. You have to be remembered as you lived.

Oct 25, 2017
Do they mention that stories passed along the generations also work to keep someone alive? If they did I missed it or just
I'm 90% sure that's the reason Hector's still "alive" after Coco dies. After she came back from her semi-coma, she finally told the family about Hector instead of disowning him.

jimmytutron

Oct 27, 2017
Do they mention that stories passed along the generations also work to keep someone alive? If they did I missed it or just forgot.

They said that doesn't count - Miguel only met Hector in the afterlife. You have to be remembered as you lived.

stories passed down do count. At the end when miguel sings to coco and she remembers, the whole family is there and she tells them stories about her papa used to sing her that song every night, so his story got passed down to everyone in the family. That's why Hector is still there in the afterlife even when coco passes.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What time can I see this when no kids will be at the theatre, lol? I like to watch movies in peace. :P

Either 10:45PM tonight or 9:45AM tomorrow I suppose

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 90% sure that's the reason Hector's still "alive" after Coco dies. After she came back from her semi-coma, she finally told the family about Hector instead of disowning him.
Hector also may still be "alive" because of the stories of him actually writing Ernesto de la Cruz's songs had people keep his memory alive in the same way it looked like Ernesto received all sorts of gifts in the afterlife due to his popularity among the living, or at least that is the way I took it, but I do think that since the emphasis of the movie is people being kept alive in the memories of family, it would make sense that passing down that memory of family is also what keeps them "alive".

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
That was really good, glad I saw this at the theaters instead of waiting for streaming. But man that Frozen holiday special almost had me puking I hated it at first got a few chuckles at the end but damn that short was too damn long.
Coco deserves better.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that threw me off the most about the Olaf "short" wasn't really that it was so long, it's just we didn't know that it was going to be that long. We all went in expecting the usual 4-5 minute Pixar short in front of the film, so when you're expecting to see something that's only a few minutes long, anything longer just seems to go on forever.

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the movie with my parents yesterday. I don't know anything about it. It was surprisingly good. Hated the Frozen special movie. It was too long. >_>