• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick one

• PS1

Votes: 1,710 59.8%
  • N64

Votes: 1,151 40.2%

• Total voters

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
PS1 games looked so much better back then and thats even more true today. Its almost crazy to me that people would prefer the low res textures and vaseline like graphics of the N64. I honestly think PS1 like graphics are very much viable even today because how unique they look and Im actually craving for them. Indies are missing out for not emulating the look of PS1 games more.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
People ask why N64 games used so much blur. This is what's underneath the blur when you remove it using the UltraHDMI mod on a real N64 (my lossless captures at 3x integer scaling with deblur active):

ootintro7gk4a.png

ootkokiriva5k49.png

So much dithering, but check out how sharp the mini map is.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
For some reason, I don't play the 64 much at all these days (and I play the PS1 even less). However, I recently put in some time with F-Zero X, Space Station Silicon Valley, Mischief Makers, and Wave Race - and man, the N64 really is an excellent system.

What are the PS1 games that hold up best, especially in comparison to N64 games?
The PS1 had a huge catalogue of awesome 2D games that still hold up extremely well. There are a few N64 games that hold up well too but there waaaay more on the PS1 because of all the 2D games. The fighting games and shmups are best on the Saturn but PS1 is still a lot stronger than N64 in this regard. The JRPGs, Survival Horror, Puzzle games are also still great.

diondiondion

Apr 2, 2020
Voted PS1, but the best looking N64 games did often look nice in ways that wouldn't have been possible to achieve on the PS1.

About the PS1's pixelated textures, is it just my memory playing tricks on me or did Crash Team Racing actually have filtered textures on the console back in the day? Iirc, that game's track and environmental textures had a sort of smooth, non-pixelated look to them. Does anyone know of any articles or videos about how this was achieved? (Unless I'm mistaken.)

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
About the PS1's pixelated textures, is it just my memory playing tricks on me or did Crash Team Racing actually have filtered textures on the console back in the day? Iirc, that game's track and environmental textures had a sort of smooth, non-pixelated look to them. Does anyone know of any articles or videos about how this was achieved? (Unless I'm mistaken.)

I know exactly what you mean, it's just clever texture design. I remember when I used to play it on PS2 sometimes I'd have trouble noticing whether I'd turned bilinear filtering on or not.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS1 because despite all of it's faults it could do incredibly fast 3d for the time.

The N64 with it's incredibly limited memory for textures and convoluted architecture meant only the absolute best devs could get a reasonable frame rate out of it. I returned to the system recently and it just chugs compared to most PS1 titles.
It was less the hardware itself and more the sdk/tools (which were good on PSX and pretty awful on N64 iirc). N64 games that used their own custom microcode like those from Rare, Factor 5 or Boss Studios were really a league above the rest and also beyond anything on PSX. Games like Conker or the unreleased Dinosaur Planet compare pretty favorably with Dreamcast stuff tbh.

Not that there weren't hardware issues too, and yeah the 4kb texture cache was a big one (2kb when you used the Z-buffer), but they could be worked around pretty effectively too if you did the profiling and optimization yourself rather than using SGI's standard tools. Gamecube's incredibly well balanced and unbottlenecked architecture and tools (Namco even prototyped PS2 exclusives using the GC SDK because it was so easy) were a direct outgrowth of their engineering hurdles on N64. And in turn 360's architecture was also heavily influenced by GC, after their own severe bottlenecks on Xbox.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
It was less the hardware itself and more the sdk/tools (which were good on PSX and pretty awful on N64 iirc). N64 games that used their own custom microcode like those from Rare, Factor 5 or Boss Studios were really a league above the rest and also beyond anything on PSX. Games like Conker or the unreleased Dinosaur Planet compare pretty favorably with Dreamcast stuff tbh.

Yeah, agreed I was kind of paraphrasing the microcode thing. I still think the entire SGI design was an enormous mistake where Nintendo were chasing the bleeding edge while Sony just focused on fast cheap 3d and made clever compromises with the hardware.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
People ask why N64 games used so much blur. This is what's underneath the blur when you remove it using the UltraHDMI mod on a real N64 (my lossless captures at 3x integer scaling with deblur active):

ootintro7gk4a.png

ootkokiriva5k49.png

I don't think it works with OOT but if you have an AR you can even turn off the hardware anti-aliasing. My N64 is only RGB modded and while I don't think they look better with the hardware anti-aliasing off games like Mario 64 look wildly different.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
How about a couple screen shots of UltraHDMI in retro mode which is probably how people think their N64 games used to look even though using the best native option s-video never came close to this level of clarity:

2016-01-13_21-09-4435o2y.png

2016-01-13_21-09-58tzo9r.png

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N64 games sucked butt. Even then in the 90s. 13 year old me wondered why my SNES characters looked like characters and N64 characters looked like smeared blobs.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it works with OOT but if you have an AR you can even turn off the hardware anti-aliasing. My N64 is only RGB modded and while I don't think they look better with the hardware anti-aliasing off games like Mario 64 look wildly different.

Yeah, I also have a Tim Worththington RGB mod modded N64 with lagless deblur. On a CRT shutting of the blur is definitely a nice option to have.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got a crt and an n64 (and ps2, for ps1 games) hooked up. n64 hands down, its a way more technically impressive system. I love unfiltered textures though, thats a fun part of ps1 games that aged amazingly.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
How about a couple screen shots of UltraHDMI in retro mode which is probably how people think their N64 games used to look even though using the best native option s-video never came close to this level of clarity:

2016-01-13_21-09-4435o2y.png

2016-01-13_21-09-58tzo9r.png
I'll take that as a challenge lol. N64, S-video, 27" Trinitron, will take some photos tonight.

Oct 27, 2017
Crash could do things the N64 games weren't capable of like streaming data from disc to RAM. This meant that individual levels were not limited to the actual RAM size (2MB for the PS1). Andy Gavin of Naughty Dog was something of a pioneer in data streaming 25 years ago.
His recent Interview with Ars Technical is great.

Such a great video!
I always bring up when dummies try to downplay the ambition and thoughtfulness of the first Crash game.
Andy Gavin feels like a bit of an unsung great in the medium to me; he and Jason Rubin made a for an absolutely dynamite team.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I also have a Tim Worththington RGB mod modded N64 with lagless deblur. On a CRT shutting of the blur is definitely a nice option to have.

Yeah, that's my exact setup - I've got a switch on the side of my console to disable that blur. I don't think I've ever turned it off haha.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Both look terrible and I'm glad we're past that era of visuals.

Have we got any PS1 remasters recently in the vein of Doom 64? They cleaned up the textures and it made the game look 1 million times better. Basically everything Nintendo should've done with SM64

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Soul Reaver on PS1 came really close to N64 graphics

Soul%2BReaver%2B4.gif

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'll take that as a challenge lol. N64, S-video, 27" Trinitron, will take some photos tonight.

Please say you have a PS1 hooked up to that as well. These are the photos we really need lol.

If mine worked I would do that, but mine isn't as fancy as yours. I have a 27" JVC and I only have my RCA cables and no S-Video, but it looks wonderful on there as well.

This thread is going to end up costing me money lol.

Might go hook up the N64 and play some SM64 just to see the difference that S-Video cable makes when I see your photos.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
N64 easily, the ps1 always looked bad and the weird texture wavy wobbly look to everything always made me feel like things were in the verge of glitching out and the game crashing. The answer will be whatever you played more as a kid though.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
At their worst, I can't think of which I dislike less.

I like both idealised and modern reimagining of those visuals though. Between the best examples, I probably like stuff that evokes the positives of PS1 aesthetic more. Stuff like Mega Man Legends and that recent indie robot game with PS1-style visuals looks really cool to me.
Yeah, I think idealized PS1 looks pretty clean and stylish. The N64 style feels like it lacks detail.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Fair enough. Another thing though is not everyone playing N64 is seeing the same thing. Even without mods N64's S-Video output is a massive improvement over composite as far as sharpness, unless you have some of the later Funtastic console revisions that actually made changes to the composite output visual clarity. I would never play using the composite output if given the option for S-Video.

I'm playing Banjo Kazooie right now with S-Video on a 27" Sony Trinitron and it looks fantastic.

Banjo is a very good looking game, I'll agree to that.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

If you want dithering, even just the title screen of Star Fox 64 is just a million dots with deblur.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
The N64 seemed much more impressive at the time, but I think PS1 graphics are much nicer. At times they would look a bit like a middle step between old school pixel art and 3D.

That said I wouldn't change a thing about the N64. I like the fact that the image it outputs has such a distinct quality to it, and this is the main reason I don't like emulating this particular console.
It's like how certain movies are almost enhanced by the crumminess of the VHS format.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
Please say you have a PS1 hooked up to that as well. These are the photos we really need lol.

Here's a few shots from my setup that has evolved over the years, these shots are a bit of a cheat as while they're taken from a Sony Trinitron consumer CRT (KVAR25M31) the set was modified to accept RGB and the N64 is RGB modded with deblur running (but the PS1 is of course stock).

9bcdb9b2fbfb069d57d972e203ec1c257c250999_2_667x499.jpeg

6da6468d7094cf71c74a0ed85cd5b655c5e31d0b_2_500x374.jpeg

c55fa5bf0c8aca7f0102c42039f4cef963e38e4d_2_499x375.jpeg

12517a15ced9c165d5eef913bffdfa23d8239609_2_500x374.jpeg

85ce95ed4c9cef448bd1d0eaecea67c170df738f_2_499x375.jpeg

210ab0a0838675e78e629f470cb894d2ef2667a9_2_374x500.jpeg

Now these shots are even more of a cheat as they're from a Sony PVM 20L2 broadcast monitor:

5a1010d8f76ac810495ec0c69b1fb10de4a6c4c4_2_666x500.jpeg

2a89295a3f20dd7e665bcef624108b6a9e3a16b9_2_375x500.jpeg

12e3e43ea8964bd6a85d53fd38abd7ff51e46f60_2_666x500.jpeg

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
^^^I said goddamn...!!! Looks so good.

If mine worked I would do that, but mine isn't as fancy as yours. I have a 27" JVC and I only have my RCA cables and no S-Video, but it looks wonderful on there as well.

This thread is going to end up costing me money lol.

Might go hook up the N64 and play some SM64 just to see the difference that S-Video cable makes when I see your photos.
I mean, there's a whole scanline screenshot thread here with better shots than I could take of every sort of retro console on hardcore PVMs but I'm just curious how my consumer CRT set (albeit a good one) stacks up lol

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
For the most skilled developers (esp. nintendo / rare) I prefer the n64 look, but when it comes to the average third party game, the PS1 look often is preferable, because most third parties did not really know how to work with n64 and so it became a blurry mess with bad framerates and fog everywhere. For the poll I picked n64, but the answer is a bit more complicated.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yup. You do the legwork and show me a PS1 game that the N64 couldn't graphically handle, if it didn't have cartridge memory limitations.

N64 could throw down some excellent 2D graphics - and I'm over seeing it getting derided as a weak 2D system.
Admittedly, I'm not sure if these are completely 2D or just look 2D:
Scroll through Mischief Makers bosses (not all are 2D)
Wonder Project J2 showing some nice sprite action.

Edit: More games
Say hello to Bangai-O (obviously graphically better on DC, but it's tough to decide which version is best)
NBA-A-A! HANGTIME! (on first glance, not much better than NBA Jam on PS1 - but side-by-side, it becomes obvious that NBA Jam has worse...everything, really)

I'm not even gonna throw in Yoshi's Story...

"Above what the playstation could do" was your initial verbiage.

still... what? i know you had to make a strange qualifier with the cartridge memory limitations but the 2D fighting games on the Playstation 1 alone basically shames the offerings on the N64 just by volume alone.

then you also have dating sims like Tokimeki Memorial 2 and (partially) Thousand Arms with beautiful anime sprite art.

Even on the Treasure game front, I definitely prefer the way Silhouette Mirage looks to Mischief Makers (even if I prefer the latter as a game).

I'm not "deriding it" as a weak 2D system because of its hardware, I'm deriding it because the library of 2D games on the system pales in comparison.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there's a whole scanline screenshot thread here with better shots than I could take of every sort of retro console on hardcore PVMs but I'm just curious how my consumer CRT set (albeit a good one) stacks up lol

If you missed it the first few shots in my post above were on a consumer CRT.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I always felt like 3D games N64 ran smoother than the PSOne on the whole, but maybe that's just my memory. I loved games on both systems, but I feel like the N64 is easier to look at today.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't stand ps1 graphics warping and popping everywhere. Is there a PS1 game that looks better than GoldenEye or Conker?

diondiondion

Apr 2, 2020
I know exactly what you mean, it's just clever texture design. I remember when I used to play it on PS2 sometimes I'd have trouble noticing whether I'd turned bilinear filtering on or not.
Thanks, that's interesting. At the time I was convinced Naughty Dog had done it again and found a solution to one the console's biggest graphical flaws. Will have to try and replay the original again to take a closer look at the textures.

I think the N64 had the "better graphics" technically, but it had a lack of variety in styles of games.

Games like these to me looked cleaner/better than most of what the N64 had. Most also ran at a better/smoother FPS which helps them in motion:

Yeah, frame rate certainly is the achilles heel of the N64. Well, that and the memory limitations of the cartridge.
I don't think this topic would've been made if the N64 had CD-ROM sized games. Would've been crazy.

I'll address the games issue below

PS1 games looked so much better back then and thats even more true today. Its almost crazy to me that people would prefer the low res textures and vaseline like graphics of the N64. I honestly think PS1 like graphics are very much viable even today because how unique they look and Im actually craving for them. Indies are missing out for not emulating the look of PS1 games more.

If anything, they kind of look worse than we probably remember. I certainly wouldn't call PS1 textures high res.
I think I get what you mean - the PS1 had more detailed instances of textures. That probably also comes down to the N64 memory limitations and the filter.

And I think the N64 looks better than what people remember.

PS1 has an absurd amount of dithering on 3D models - but composite + CRT hides it well.
Playing in RGB, the dithering pops out.

It's not entirely fair to compare what the N64 looks like without blur filter on - that is, after all, what the games were designed for.
I imagine textures could've been designed better if there was never any blur filter.

The PS1 had a huge catalogue of awesome 2D games that still hold up extremely well. There are a few N64 games that hold up well too but there waaaay more on the PS1 because of all the 2D games. The fighting games and shmups are best on the Saturn but PS1 is still a lot stronger than N64 in this regard. The JRPGs, Survival Horror, Puzzle games are also still great.

Meh - I still lean more towards N64's exclusives over PS1, but I can easily see how it could've gone the other way, if I would've liked JRPGs.
PS1 had a massive library of games to its advantage, to be sure.

Regardless, there are more than just a "few" games that "hold up well" on 64 - which is a term that's finally getting the pushback it deserves. I think it gets echoed so much on the internet that people just start accepting it as truth.
The great games on the 64 are still as great as ever, and I'm getting pretty tired of some weird train of thought that says the N64 has like 5 good games on it.

Likewise, this needs to be said: there are fewer games on the PS1 that "hold up" than people think.
I imagine few people are really going to sit down and play a bloated PS1 JRPG these days with so much else on offer.
Or Spiderman PS1 - or Medal of Honor - or sit down and actually beat any Gran Turismo game.

The PS1 gets outdone in the arcade genre by Saturn pretty handedly that I don't really count that genre as one of the console's strengths.
It was probably nice to have those arcade ports as a supplement for other PS1 games on the system, though.

It comes down to this - for ALL retro consoles - the vast majority of kids only had money for 10-20 games per generation. I certainly didn't know any friend with over 15-20 games for one system. So, we ended up buying a mix of the best games on the system and a handful of other random supporting games.

Looking at some of the highest rated games on each system, would you rather have rolled with:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Wave Race
Banjo - Kazooie series (pick one)
Star Wars: Rouge Squadron
F-Zero X
Pokemon Stadium (or Snap)
Paper Mario
Golden Eye (or Perfect Dark (or both))
Mario Party series
Diddy Kong Racing (or Mario Kart 64)

Or

Final Fantasy 7
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo series
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Bandicoot series
Spyro
Castlevania: SOTN
Wipeout 3 (or earlier)
Vagrant Story
Parappa the Rappa
Ape Escape
Einhander
Ridge Racer series
Klanoa
Tomba
+other JRPGs

Obviously, this choice will be completely subjective and a good case can be made for either system here. I personally enjoyed the N64 output and can't be bothered to play almost any old PS1 RPG anymore. Too much time, too much else that has come out since.

Anyways, none of this has to do with the graphics, so uhm...sorry for getting too off-topic here.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Here's a few shots from my setup that has evolved over the years, these shots are a bit of a cheat as while they're taken from a Sony Trinitron consumer CRT (KVAR25M31) the set was modified to accept RGB and the N64 is RGB modded with deblur running (but the PS1 is of course stock).

9bcdb9b2fbfb069d57d972e203ec1c257c250999_2_667x499.jpeg

6da6468d7094cf71c74a0ed85cd5b655c5e31d0b_2_500x374.jpeg

c55fa5bf0c8aca7f0102c42039f4cef963e38e4d_2_499x375.jpeg

12517a15ced9c165d5eef913bffdfa23d8239609_2_500x374.jpeg

85ce95ed4c9cef448bd1d0eaecea67c170df738f_2_499x375.jpeg

210ab0a0838675e78e629f470cb894d2ef2667a9_2_374x500.jpeg

Now these shots are even more of a cheat as they're from a Sony PVM 20L2 broadcast monitor:

5a1010d8f76ac810495ec0c69b1fb10de4a6c4c4_2_666x500.jpeg

2a89295a3f20dd7e665bcef624108b6a9e3a16b9_2_375x500.jpeg

12e3e43ea8964bd6a85d53fd38abd7ff51e46f60_2_666x500.jpeg

Cheat or not those are absolutely beautiful.

Love scan lines lol. Now those later shots, that monitor is 800 or so lines compared to the 600 on my JVC I assume. I never owned one of those sets.

Yeah the consumer set shots are what I love to see. I believe that thread you are talking about has a lot of modded console shots or come from those Trinitron monitors that many of us would never experienced these games on as a kid.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
Love scan lines lol. Now those later shots, that monitor is 800 or so lines compared to the 600 on my JVC I assume. I never owned one of those sets.

Same! the 20L2 is actually only 600TVL but I've got it pretty well dialed in so it's punching well above it's weight. I think 600 is actually the sweet spot as it's evocative of that classic consumer CRT look, but much clearer. 800 and above looks amazing but definitely is a different look.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Likewise, this needs to be said: there are fewer games on the PS1 that "hold up" than people think.
I imagine few people are really going to sit down and play a bloated PS1 JRPG these days with so much else on offer.
Or Spiderman PS1 - or Medal of Honor -

I've been playing a lot of PS1 lately thanks to a PS1Digital mod and it's the opposite for me. Way more of these games strike me as great looking than I really even thought of.

Listai

Oct 27, 2017
There needs to be a third option for Saturn 3d. Which I find difficult to describe - the way it handles it with quads gives the games this really odd look.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Meh - I still lean more towards N64's exclusives over PS1, but I can easily see how it could've gone the other way, if I would've liked JRPGs.
PS1 had a massive library of games to its advantage, to be sure.

Regardless, there are more than just a "few" games that "hold up well" on 64 - which is a term that's finally getting the pushback it deserves. I think it gets echoed so much on the internet that people just start accepting it as truth.
The great games on the 64 are still as great as ever, and I'm getting pretty tired of some weird train of thought that says the N64 has like 5 good games on it.

Or Spiderman PS1 - or Medal of Honor - or sit down and actually beat any Gran Turismo game.

The PS1 gets outdone in the arcade genre by Saturn pretty handedly that I don't really count that genre as one of the console's strengths.
It was probably nice to have those arcade ports as a supplement for other PS1 games on the system, though.

It comes down to this - for ALL retro consoles - the vast majority of kids only had money for 10-20 games per generation. I certainly didn't know any friend with over 15-20 games for one system. So, we ended up buying a mix of the best games on the system and a handful of other random supporting games.

Looking at some of the highest rate games on each system would you rather have rolled with:
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64
Star Fox 64
Wave Race
Banjo - Kazooie series (pick one)
Star Wars: Rouge Squadron
F-Zero X
Pokemon Stadium (or Snap)
Paper Mario
Golden Eye (or Perfect Dark (or both))
Mario Party series
Diddy Kong Racing (or Mario Kart 64)

Or

Final Fantasy 7
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo series
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Bandicoot series
Spyro
Castlevania: SOTN
Wipeout 3 (or earlier)
Vagrant Story
Parappa the Rappa
Ape Escape
Einhander
Ridge Racer series
Klanoa
Tomba
+other JRPGs

Obviously, this choice will be completely subjective and a good case can be made for either system here. I personally enjoyed the N64 output and can't be bothered to play almost any old PS1 RPG anymore. Too much time, too much else that has come out since.

Anyways, none of this has to do with the graphics, so uhm...sorry for getting too off-topic here.
Lists so many games on N64 that are among my favourite games of all time....*runs away*

P.S. I definitely preferred the N64 at the time but the games you listed for the PS1 are mostly good yet thats literally 5% or so of good games on the system whereas with your list of N64 games it's more like 40%. It's not really that fair to dismiss the PS1 as an arcade console because the shmup library is considerably different than that of the Saturns. The PS1 is the GOAT system for quirky games and I would list them but I honestly can not be bothered right now, sorry. <3

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I had the Saturn first so pixel shimmer was already my jam. Much preferred SS/PS jagged sharpness and composite video was low-tech anti-aliasing anyway. N64 was way too blurry. Not to mention the obnoxious levels of fog used in several big titles.

yrcmlived

Jan 29, 2020

what is this game?