• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick one

• PS1

Votes: 1,710 59.8%
  • N64

Votes: 1,151 40.2%

• Total voters

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
From the secret, unreleased N64 port:

7511-BAB4-9657-4693-A7-D9-29562593-C7-E1.jpg

lol

PS1 for sure

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think on average I prefer the ps1 look but the best looking N64 games ie Mario 64 were untouched for that gen

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Anything rare or Nintendo made looked better than anything I've seen on PS1 but that said those are also the only games I played on N64 aside from maybe turok, and there was nothing like turok on ps1 either...

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
I'mma say N64 on this one. PS1's jaggy jittery 3D looks really rough blown up on a modern flat-screen TV. It's bearable for games where most of the screen consists of 2D pre-rendered art, but anything purely 3D is a mess. N64 holds up a lot better these days.

RPG in N64:

egy8vgnl1jcaf6xrmg9y.png

RPG in PSX:

Just LMAO, give me the PSX (and I love the 64).

Thread about 3D.

*picks game with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds*

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Also going to shamefully admit I enjoyed Quest 64. Probably beat that game a half dozen times lol.

I remember thinking Guilty looked so cool.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
absolutley love the unfiltered pixel texture look so giving it to the ps1 here, although some 64 games just looked great

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I don't care that probably 90% of these gifs are from emulators. Both of these systems ought to be appreciated more because people tend to shit on the visuals of this whole era all the time.

🚨GIF WARNING🚨

[N64]

tumblr_pycteg9yWe1xkhvtbo1_400.gifv

tumblr_nt6dn9cy611qf56wto1_400.gifv

tumblr_pfuckyaZQt1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_p4ueyiLnJB1s3uawvo2_400.gifv

tumblr_p5hy3oBmR91s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pb4yuxUUS41si9ssqo1_400.gifv

tumblr_per8ojRV1v1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pnkftqPw9t1s3uawvo2_r1_400.gifv

[PS1]

DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gif

tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

z2beGlC.gif

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I don't care that probably 90% of these gifs are from emulators. Both of these systems ought to be appreciated more because people tend to shit on the visuals of this whole era all the time.

🚨GIF WARNING🚨

[N64]

tumblr_pycteg9yWe1xkhvtbo1_400.gifv

tumblr_p6f7voSvrd1rrftcdo1_400.gifv

tumblr_nt6dn9cy611qf56wto1_400.gifv

tumblr_pfuckyaZQt1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_p4ueyiLnJB1s3uawvo2_400.gifv

tumblr_p5hy3oBmR91s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pb4yuxUUS41si9ssqo1_400.gifv

tumblr_per8ojRV1v1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_pnkftqPw9t1s3uawvo2_r1_400.gifv

[PS1]

DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gif

tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

z2beGlC.gif

Possibly my favorite era of gaming. You picked great titles to showcase.

I remember going into the status screen in Chrono Cross just to stare at the character models.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Possibly my favorite era of gaming. You picked great titles to showcase.

I remember going into the status screen in Chrono Cross just to stare at the character models.
Chrono Cross did an absolutely incredible job of seamlessly mixing well animated realtime character models with pre-rendered backgrounds. Probably the best example of that that I can think of. It's often breathtaking.

42ab9831ea82c8283689e8e8a192170523717e5d.gifv

Deleted member 5189

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked N64... but in my heart, i love both. Both consoles have a unique look that i really like. It stabs a dagger into my heart, everytime i hear/see someone complain about the beautiful look of both low poly styles on the N64/PSX.

I am looking forward for more indie games that try and succed with low poly graphics and art style.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
What about it looks worse? Just the blur filter? They have ways of removing that now...

The frame rate isn't ideal though...
No way to fix that on the console.

JRPGsand simulation racing games, yes, the PS1 definitely smokes the N64. And PS1 definitely has the misc. genre on lock.

In other popular genres, N64 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Obviously platformers are its bread and butter, but arcade racers and FPS games are very strong. And whatever Sin and Punishment is.

Graphic-wise, there's nothing that's changed between then and now. N64 still has stronger graphics, overall.

Yeah, I probably messed up my quoted posts there...ugh. Sorry
The misc. genre is a bit unfair to the PS1 lol. Do fighting and shmups come under misc? The library is just overwhelmingly stronger imo. I could think of a lot more game types that the PS1 easily comes out on top.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
For horror stuff I much prefer the psx style look, but I would never want something like M64 or 007 to look like that. Granted this is heavily influenced by nostalgia but nonetheless the cleaner texture look on N64 made an overall larger impact on me at the time. That said I always did think Ocarina's ground textures were garbage even at the time. The game is amazing but was way too ambitious for the overworld traversal comparative to the limitations of the system. Obviously still glad it was a thing and a very important milestone in gaming 👍

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
N64 easily. PS1visuals look like a continuation of SuperFX and early 3D cabinet visuals; N64 was the first step into the visuals of the Dreamcast, PS2 and beyond.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I always hated the jittering of psx games. Even when I was a kid, me and my friend were wondering why everything seemed to be moving. Loved the more "solid" look of N64 games. And while pre-rendered background looked insane on Psx, no game seemed as beautiful as OoT or M'sM. The feeling of big open world was sooo good.

I'm also not a fan of the super pixelated textures, but they can have some charm.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
While this room looks cool, I would not categorize it like "There is no comparison".

I had both the PS1 and N64 and I definitely played the PS1 more. But that is clearly a step below the graphics in OOT.

Each console had its strengths but if the entire game was rendered in polygons the PS1 was not on the same level.

I am surprised this is a controversial statement because to me at least there is no comparison. Doesn't mean the PS1 is trash, I loved the console. But that was not it's strength.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
That second one is impressive when you see how her eyes move as well.

Vagrant Story was such an impressive feat on the PS1. Even more so when you think how the team that made it I believe I the same team from Tactics and I believe many of the members never worked on 3D before.

They used their experience from high quality 2D pixel art and applied it to 3D. The smooth facial animation is done on the textures using the same de-facto motion blurring techniques that were used to get smooth looking animation on low resolution sprites.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't even own a PS1 at the time but I really prefer the look of PS1 games. I like how everything looks sharper (the PS1 lacks the N64's unnecessary blur and antialiasing), I really like how the textures are pixilated, I genuinely love the look of the dithering, and even the non-perspective correct textures.

For 3D retro games the PS1 (and to a lesser extent the Saturn) look is both more distinctive and nicer to look at.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
I think the best looking n64 games completely decimate the best looking ps1 games ... but on average, ps1 games looked a lot better overall.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
They used their experience from high quality 2D pixel art and applied it to 3D. The smooth facial animation is done on the textures using the same de-facto motion blurring techniques that were used to get smooth looking animation on low resolution sprites.

Yeah, they were very talented.

Makes me want to play that game again. I wonder what it would look like if I busted out the game and got it loaded onto my PS1 Classic and played it on the CRT I have downstairs.

Hooked up via a HMDI to RCA adapter. Sadly my actual PS1 is long dead.

Oct 27, 2017
I had both back in the day and always preferred the clean N64 look. The PS1 felt too visually noisy and harder to parse at a glance because of that

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
There's obviously some exceptions, but overall I definitely prefer the cleaner, more stable look of N64 games.

The flicker and pixelation of PS1 games can often be annoyingly distracting.

No problem.

Reading other posts I'm also not sure if this thread is asking what we prefer now or what we preferred back when we played them on the original hardware and CRT TVs because some of the things mentioned for PS1 I'm not sure I noticed, granted it was also when I was like 15.

I feel like maybe some of the PS1 issues were covered up a bit with CRT TVs and some of the N64 issues were maybe made worse? Might have to hook them both up again.

For some reason, I don't play the 64 much at all these days (and I play the PS1 even less). However, I recently put in some time with F-Zero X, Space Station Silicon Valley, Mischief Makers, and Wave Race - and man, the N64 really is an excellent system.

PS1 no contest for me. Very few N64 games hold up today.

What are the PS1 games that hold up best, especially in comparison to N64 games?

Yup. You do the legwork and show me a PS1 game that the N64 couldn't graphically handle, if it didn't have cartridge memory limitations.

N64 could throw down some excellent 2D graphics - and I'm over seeing it getting derided as a weak 2D system.
Admittedly, I'm not sure if these are completely 2D or just look 2D:
Scroll through Mischief Makers bosses (not all are 2D)
Wonder Project J2 showing some nice sprite action.

Edit: More games
Say hello to Bangai-O (obviously graphically better on DC, but it's tough to decide which version is best)
NBA-A-A! HANGTIME! (on first glance, not much better than NBA Jam on PS1 - but side-by-side, it becomes obvious that NBA Jam has worse...everything, really)

I'm not even gonna throw in Yoshi's Story...

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Mischief Makers is such an underrated gem on the N64.
I'd love that forgotten game to come back in some form.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
MGS is one of the exceptions for me, they did a great job given the limitations of the hardware. Same with titles like Crash Bandicoot.
Crash could do things the N64 games weren't capable of like streaming data from disc to RAM. This meant that individual levels were not limited to the actual RAM size (2MB for the PS1). Andy Gavin of Naughty Dog was something of a pioneer in data streaming 25 years ago.
His recent Interview with Ars Technical is great.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
PS1 because despite all of it's faults it could do incredibly fast 3d for the time.

The N64 with it's incredibly limited memory for textures and convoluted architecture meant only the absolute best devs could get a reasonable frame rate out of it. I returned to the system recently and it just chugs compared to most PS1 titles.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
For some reason, I don't play the 64 much at all these days (and I play the PS1 even less). However, I recently put in some time with F-Zero X, Space Station Silicon Valley, Mischief Makers, and Wave Race - and man, the N64 really is an excellent system.

What are the PS1 games that hold up best, especially in comparison to N64 games?

Yup. Show me a PS1 game that the N64 couldn't graphically handle, if it didn't have cartridge memory limitations.

N64 could throw down some excellent 2D graphics.
Admittedly, I'm not sure if these are completely 2D or just look 2D:
Scroll through Mischief Makers bosses (not all are 2D)
Wonder Project J2 showing some crazy sprite action.
I think the N64 had the "better graphics" technically, but it had a lack of variety in styles of games.

Games like these to me looked cleaner/better than most of what the N64 had. Most also ran at a better/smoother FPS which helps them in motion:

Omega Boost
Threads of Fate
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Wipeout 3

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

N64 was incredible. I remember thinking the water in Wave Race 64 couldn't get much better. I was amazed when I first saw it.

Both consoles were. It was an amazing generation of gaming to grow up in.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think the N64 had the "better graphics" technically

It's fun to go back now and look at the N64 at launch where it had much bigger more open environments than the PS1 and realise that the only reason it did is because it could do it with fewer polygons. On PS1 because of affine texture warping they had to subdivide and use more polygons for terrain to stop it looking like shit, whereas N64 they could just use the bare minimum.