PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Interested to see what everyone at XGS is working on, seems like we won't need to wait too much longer.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
In order of importance for me for game announcements that I hope happens and they show actual gameplay is:

1.) Turn 10 - Forza Motorsports 8
2.) Playground Games - RPG Game (Most likely Fable, but could not be Fable but a RPG)
3.) 343i - Halo Infinite
4.) New IP
5.) New IP

I really want to see something new and fresh with a AAA budget.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's going to be interesting seeing how next gen games are shown off. My impression is that a lot of people watch low res streams. So in order to actually demonstrate the power of the new machines, I wonder if Microsoft (and Sony eventually) do a standard reveal to reach the biggest audience but emphasize that you can see the better versions of the trailer (or a piece of the trailer) via your 4k capable console or an app on a 4k tv. Like really hammer the point that if you're watching this over wifi on your phone you aren't getting the real picture.
An app with better video and pictures for their games and products would be awesome. Really like your idea.
Man I relaly hope they don't mess up the new Fable. There's potential for it to be something special but so much precedent with previous Fable games and Microsoft's recent releases for them to mess it up that I'm quite warry

Playground Games

Read what Playground Games had to say at Metacritic.com

Forza horizon - 85
Forza horizon 2 - 86
Forza Horizon 3 - 91/86 (Xbox/PC)
Forza Horizon 4 - 92/88

Playground games hired insane talent for the second studio and their FH team did go from strength to strength. They haven't failed yet and i don't expect them to, even though the RPG will be the second team first game. I don't think we have to worry about anything with PG.

Let's see if he goes by his own words, he always says something like this and fails to deliver.
Proof it.
There's been fairly well-sourced rumours that the Series X UI is going to just be an evolution of the Xbox One UI, and that is part of the impetus behind all of the structural changes they are making to it the past few updates, to make it simpler and quicker.

As far as games go, I'd take a few minutes of raw footage of just about anything right now, haha. Christ, give me Madden footage if you must.
This is exciting for me, because i think the new UI is decent and i like the idea of us consumers not having to wait a few years for folders. Having a good base in terms of features is amazing.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Tuesday May 12, let's go!

Very curious to see how Forza 8's multiplayer is improved after the excellent Forza Horizon 4 (which we still play every thursday night two years later). Brian Fargo's team will probs unveil their next project after Wasteland 3. Playground's open world project... Psychonauts 2 deep dive... Et cetera. Should be a great show!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
An app with better video and pictures for their games and products would be awesome. Really like your idea.

Playground Games

Read what Playground Games had to say at Metacritic.com

Forza horizon - 85
Forza horizon 2 - 86
Forza Horizon 3 - 91/86 (Xbox/PC)
Forza Horizon 4 - 92/88

Playground games hired insane talent for the second studio and their FH team did go from strength to strength. They haven't failed yet and i don't expect them to, even though the RPG will be the second team first game. I don't think we have to worry about anything with PG.

Proof it.
This is exciting for me, because i think the new UI is decent and i like the idea of us consumers not having to wait a few years for folders. Having a good base in terms of features is amazing.

I'd like to consider Playground Games as XGS's Guerilla, a studio that is experienced in creating games in one genre slowly transitioning to a new generation with a new genre to expand their creative freedom. and I loved Horizon, cant wait to see what Playground can do with an Open-World RPG like Fable

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'd like to consider Playground Games as XGS's Guerilla, a studio that is experienced in creating games in one genre slowly transitioning to a new generation with a new genre to expand their creative freedom. and I loved Horizon, cant wait to see what Playground can do with an Open-World RPG like Fable

I meant both Forza Horizon and Horizon Zero Dawn

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
There's literally no down-side for adding a gyro sensor. It won't increase the price for us, it wouldn't impact the battery. It'd just add another option for those who want it. You don't like it, turn it off.
While you might be right we honestly don't know how it would affect battery life. And we saw with ds4 how poor battery life can be very frustrating and lead to the classic "just buy an extra controller" , for me battery life and other features not yet present take lead over any want for a gyro.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Having played FH3 and FH4, I'm sure their output will be quality. They are now a premier studio for MS. No better way to transition to a new genre than with a new generation.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it in my cajones that Xbox has partnered with a Japanese company for an exclusive title

Curious though, is this really viable for a Japanese dev to say yes to? I know it happened a few times during the 360 era, but that idea has been basically rock bottom since the XBO came out. The only thing I can think of that would of fit this bill during the XBO cycle was Scalebound but that got canned.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Curious though, is this really viable for a Japanese dev to say yes to? I know it happened a few times during the 360 era, but that idea has been basically rock bottom since the XBO came out. The only thing I can think of that would of fit this bill during the XBO cycle was Scalebound but that got canned.
It depends on how they market the game and what the japanese devs are being paid to create it. If it's made with the expectation that this will be a title that primarily sells in the west than the budget will reflect it and if the Japanese devs are compensated then I'm sure it's viable.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I hope we see less third party exclusives for both fronts this gen, I'm ok with first party since they give their own flavor to each system and most of the time are given a wider creative freedom.

Marketing partnerships should be the way forward (a la Cyberpunk 2077 with Xbox) but less complete or timed exclusives.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While you might be right we honestly don't know how it would affect battery life. And we saw with ds4 how poor battery life can be very frustrating and lead to the classic "just buy an extra controller" , for me battery life and other features not yet present take lead over any want for a gyro.
The DS4's battery issues have more to do with the light bar than anything else. The Switch Pro Controller has gyro & has the longest battery life of any of the current batch of controllers.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The DS4's battery issues have more to do with the light bar than anything else. The Switch Pro Controller has gyro & has the longest battery life of any of the current batch of controllers.

Yeah, and it makes it especially infuriating that you can't just turn ofd the light bar.

The DS5 seemingly has a larger light so I hope the battery has been improved.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and it makes it especially infuriating that you can't just turn ofd the light bar.

The DS5 seemingly has a larger light so I hope the battery has been improved.

Hopefully they let you turn it off and also, haptic feedback is probably way less power intensive than full on rumble motors like the DS4. I think if the new XSX controller went to haptic feedback that it would also save more battery life there as well. But yeah, gyro really takes up no power to controllers.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

saladine1

Oct 27, 2017
I really am looking forward to seeing what Turn 10 have done this time around especially with the extra development time.
I'm also curious as to what a 'different experience than what you're used to' really means.
My body is ready..(is that still a thing?)

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If XSX and PS5 launch at the same price and we get a XSS for 299.... and switch 2 eventually on the horizon. Fun times ahead boys!!!!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Maybe something lower key like a fighting game. And yeah it's appealing if the right price for the devs. Exposure would be even easier to give the dev. Remember MS is not only paying for the dev but for maybe 5 million copies (random guess) sold too because it's on game pass.

I just look at game pass finally being in Japan and I don't think they're doing that because they want Japanese people to play mostly American games on game pass.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I just realized something. Does anyone else think Phil saying transparency is a shot at Sony giving the maximum speeds for their variable clocks on gpu and cpu?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
DocH1X1
No. He is talking about their strategy and not doing console wars imo.

I was all for new controller features in the past, but being an owner of all consoles showed me every generation that most developers couldn't care less about these features.

How many games used the Wii U gamepad in a Innovative way like Zombi U? How many games use the HD rumble on the Switch? How many games use the Xbox rumble triggers? How many games used the ps4 touchpad for more than another button?

I am a bit frustrated when it comes to controllers and at this point, even though developers should be free to do what they like imo, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft should either demand the use of the controller features or come together and set a baseline come next next gen for controller features, which are the same across Switch 2, PS6 and Xbox so more developers want to use them.

I am not able to make threads yet sadly, but i think having a discussion about controller features and how the industry could fix issues regarding usage of them, could be interesting.

I like the new DualSense features, but i can understand Microsoft, because usually developers as sad as it is couldn't care less. As an result their focus seems to be adding features everyone will enjoy without developers needing to do anything like low latency or the share button.

I really am looking forward to seeing what Turn 10 have done this time around especially with the extra development time.
I'm also curious as to what a 'different experience than what you're used to' really means.
My body is ready..(is that still a thing?)
GDC released an Forza Motorsport/Turn10 talk on YouTube with interesting information. Obviously nothing concrete for FM8, because the game isn't announced yet. But they talk about their mistakes, small tidbits about the future and their art.

youtu.be

Art Direct for 100 MPH: Balancing Visuals with Performance for Forza Motorsport

In this 2020 GDC Virtual Talk, Microsoft-Turn 10's Matt Collins discusses the process of creating art assets for a game that needs to run at 60FPS while play...

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
DocH1X1

I was all for new controller features in the past, but being an owner of all consoles showed me every generation that most developers couldn't care less about these features.

How many games used the Wii U gamepad in a Innovative way like Zombi U? How many games use the HD rumble on the Switch? How many games use the Xbox rumble triggers? How many games used the ps4 touchpad for more than another button?

I am a bit frustrated when it comes to controllers and at this point, even though developers should be free to do what they like imo, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft should either demand the use of the controller features or come together and set a baseline come next next gen for controller features, which are the same across Switch 2, PS6 and Xbox so more developers want to use them.

I am not able to make threads yet sadly, but i think having a discussion about controller features and how the industry could fix issues regarding usage of them, could be interesting.

I like the new DualSense features, but i can understand Microsoft, because usually developers as sad as it is couldn't care less. As an result their focus seems to be adding features everyone will enjoy without developers needing to do anything like low latency or the share button.

GDC released an Forza Motorsport/Turn10 talk on YouTube with interesting information. Obviously nothing concrete for FM8, because the game isn't announced yet. But they talk about their mistakes, small tidbits about the future and their art.

youtu.be

In this 2020 GDC Virtual Talk, Microsoft-Turn 10's Matt Collins discusses the process of creating art assets for a game that needs to run at 60FPS while play...

To say that the devs couldn't care less isn't true. Here are a list of games that support gyro aiming on the Switch:

Alien Isolation
Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection
Assassins Creed III
Breath of the Wild
Daemon X Machina
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Doom (2016)
Doom 64
Enter the Gungeon
Fortnite
Immortal Redneck
LA Noire
Morphie's Law
Mulaka
Overwatch
Paladins
Realm Royale
Red Faction: Remarstered
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Risk of Rain 2
Saint's Row 3 (upcoming)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (upcoming)
Super Mario Odyssey
Skyrim
Splatoon 2
Sniper Elite V2
Sniper Elite 3
Superhot
Sub Level Zero Redux
Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet
Turok
Turok 2
Warframe
Wolfenstein Youngblood
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Ziggurat

Sorry for getting this entirely off topic in this thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me and the Mrs might pass out when we see fable. Its the only ganes she has loved in the last 12 years. She's not a huge gamer but for some reason fable 2 just got her. She normally just plays things like the sims.

I hope fable is amazing!
That sounds like my story. I've never understood it but my wife loves Fable. I didn't tell her yet about next gen, though.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Getting both nextgen consoles is the way to go this gen. Don't want to miss out on any heat.

although I'm a PlayStation guy myself. I miss the general friendly yet competitive rivalry that XBOX 360 and PS3 had. I'm waiting for that to kick back in. so excited for the output of the new Xbox Studios.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
DocH1X1

youtu.be

This is super interesting.
They are addressing the exact things that have been an issue in FM visual presentation especially with regards to gamma corrected lighting, BUT I don't understand how much of that has been their workflow for the last few games (in which case they weren't always 100% successful) rather than their workflow going forward (which would make me super excited for FM8)