N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who want gaming to be platform agnostic like every other form of media out there aren't fanboys.

On the contrary, people pushing for proprietary boxes to play games are usually the ones who then have a favourite that they're normally very vocal about.
The same could be said for streaming. I've seen fans of xcloud bashing Stadia.

Instead of console fanboys you will now have stream fanboys calling doom to the other streaming services.

Desless1

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Consider 85% of Google's revenue come from ads, and they basically exist because of our data, it'd good to expand into new areas.

My main concern will rather be if it's not that successful, then what. Like Jason asked, and got an awful answer to.

On the technical side, it will probably be very effective and cutting edge, but they do push it off if it's not giving them enough ROI.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
People don't want rumble
Playstation Home is the future of social media
etc etc.

I like Phil, but I wish he wouldn't feel the need to make silly proclamations like this.
Yes, let's just replay Harrison's "greatest hits" so we can conveniently ignore the fact that he isn't remotely the first person to make this proclamation and that people with a lot more clout than he has in the industry have been proclaiming the same thing for years now.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same could be said for streaming. I've seen fans of xcloud bashing Stadia.

Instead of console fanboys you will now have stream fanboys calling doom to the other streaming services.
Platform warrioring already exists beyond consoles. People form emotional attachments to brands and services, not just hardware.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no world where this is dead on arrival. If I'm Johnny Parent who doesn't know anything about games, but knows my kids want to play that new jam, this is my go to instead of a $400 box that becomes obsolete in a few years.
You've obviously never had kids, unless your kid specifically wants the google box, they aren't getting a google box. Especially with modern parents who grew up on Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo and probably play games themselves or used to.

It's a first step in that direction, but it will take a long time for that to happen.

More like the 4th step.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You've obviously never had kids, unless your kid specifically wants the google box, they aren't getting a google box. Especially with modern parents who grew up on Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo and probably play games themselves or used to.

I have 3 kids, but thanks. I'm talking about people who aren't as savvy about games who just happen to ask their parents for "video games". We've cleared this up already.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Umm, modern parents have kids who watch YouTube and Google is saying you'll easily be linked to it from YouTube. How many kids are playing Fortnite on mobile devices instead of a console too?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anything how scared so many ERA users are of streaming makes me think this will be a massive success.
It's always "all or nothing" for some people.
Always remember, it's 2019 and wie still have thousands of DVDs in electronic markets.
Shhhh this logic has will destroy the strawmen so many streaming opponents have continuously made

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Choice is great but I'll continue to buy a console for as long as they keep producing them. Streaming will no doubt become the leader in game distribution at some stage but not for a while yet.
Not saying I wont give streaming a chance, I just don't want to be tied to a service when its delivery method is still so uncertain/unreliable.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Shhhh this logic has will destroy the strawmen so many streaming opponents have continuously made

So we ignore how companies have shift the number of releases that happen on DVD and Blu ray now? Streaming has most definitely impacted physical distribution. To say it hasn't is being ignorant.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Choice is great but I'll continue to buy a console for as long as they keep producing them. Streaming will no doubt become the leader in game distribution at some stage but not for a while yet.
Not saying I wont give streaming a chance, I just don't want to be tied to a service when its delivery method is still so uncertain/unreliable.

I think this is a sane way to look at it. Publishers, at least no small amount of them, would prefer that we don't have ownership of their IP, just the license to play it. Nintendo has been doing that for a long time.

Stadia/XCloud are necessary steps to getting it there, and quality/reliability will have to catch up.

We're just at a new version of console wars now is all.

Oct 27, 2017
Are publishers going to fight this in the long term? As long as streaming and console coexist I don't see a huge problem for them; but if we really start to approach a streaming only future what purpose does a publisher serve? Market the game? No, Google/MS can do that. Print physical copies? There are no physical copies. Fund development? If the streaming model is profitable for Google/MS they'll be moneyhatting everything.

The big ones like EA/Activision would need to start planning their own separate services (likely paying Amazon for datacenters) in the medium term.

That's kind of the REAL nightmare future that you're already seeing the seeds of right now with everyone and their Grandma coming out on PC with their own storefront and all the exclusivity BS there. EA has already been rumored to be working on some sort of cloud/streaming service and I'm sure you'll have other publishers jumping on with their own streaming services. So if we want to go full dystopian nightmare, you have every major published with their own streaming/subscription service that you have to subscribe to and then probably on top of that you'll have your ISP force you into some special Game Streaming tier of service so they can further charge you for streaming games.

The tech in all of this is neat, but the bigger picture of it all and having to trust Google or whatever other big corporation does their own Streaming thing just makes me so uninterested in so much of it. Digital purchases and streaming and so on with gaming are predicated on a certain level of trust that these companies will do right by their consumers and not just bail on a whim one day and for Google especially, they have a pretty bad track record of just ditching products/services pretty abruptly. That alone would give me pause for getting invested in Stadia.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's always "all or nothing" for some people.
Always remember, it's 2019 and wie still have thousands of DVDs in electronic markets.
So we ignore how companies have shift the number of releases that happen on DVD and Blu ray now? Streaming has most definitely impacted physical distribution. To say it hasn't is being ignorant.
Yes but there is still a thriving blu-ray and cd market despite streaming services taking over. Not the "developers wont even make physical games anymore :( " and "game preservation will be over :(" future that I have seen people bring up here. You can have a large streaming presence AND still have a physical presence. Yeah it wont be exactly the same as before streaming but things change ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Probably be like Chrome vs Firefox, Opera and IE. Almost everyone flocked to Chrome even though we had a good one in Firefox. Despite all the warnings back then everyone was double quick to hand Google the keys.

What's odd is how pro google chrome so many here are or was and now google is the bad guy. Little did they know they were helping dig the consoles grave.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but there is still a thriving blu-ray and cd market despite streaming services taking over. Not the "developers wont even make physical games anymore :( " and "game preservation will be over :(" future that I have seen people bring up here. You can have a large streaming presence AND still have a physical presence. Yeah it wont be exactly the same as before streaming but things change ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But this stuff doesn't happen overnight. It happens over time and over time it erodes away. Every year physical media declines in sales and every year digital sales increase. That's because people move away from it in favor of convenience. We even just had Samsung pulling out of the market for creating players for physical media. That doesn't scream like a healthy thriving market at all. It will be even worse with dedicated hardware because at some point the market could shift enough to the point where it's no longer financially feasible to sell that type of hardware because the number of people who want their physical games isn't there anymore. It's weird to me how we've seen things shift and change over the years, but people still can't see that things change and markets go away. The best thing doesn't always exist or win.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Dead on arrival, and their intent to move gaming away from consoles makes google a vile company and to me public enemy number 1. Amazing how overnight I lost all respect for google.
This is what it took? I mean don't get me wrong, Stadia is ridiculous, but with everything else they've done before this, Stadia was the one thing?

Nov 8, 2017
Consoles will always exist (it's how companies make money).
This streaming thing can exist (it's how Google/ISPs/devs/etc. will make money).

Why not both dot gif?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Phil, the hero, lived long enough to become the "villain."
Oh it's so funny looking back in time:
philharrison.jpg

Oh but it happened alright.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But this stuff doesn't happen overnight. It happens over time and over time it erodes away. Every year physical media declines in sales and every year digital sales increase. That's because people move away from it in favor of convenience. We even just had Samsung pulling out of the market for creating players for physical media. That doesn't scream like a healthy thriving market at all. It will be even worse with dedicated hardware because at some point the market could shift enough to the point where it's no longer financially feasible to sell that type of hardware because the number of people who want their physical games isn't there anymore. It's weird to me how we've seen things shift and change over the years, but people still can't see that things change and markets go away. The best thing doesn't always exist or win.
Yes once again things will not be the same as before a new paradigm comes to the market. There will be less people making the hardware for physical as there are less people using physical but you can still buy physical movies and media for most major releases. Yes in the future you may not be able to buy actual Playstations, Xboxes, or Nintendo consoles but its not like PC's are going to go extinct.
As soon as im told im not allowed to play new games on native hardware anymore is when i stop buying new games
This is not going to happen, and the hyperbole I am speaking about

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If your business model is predicated on competing methods of content delivery completely failing, you're already dead.

If you're disparaging your competitors to make your own product look better, you appear weak and desperate.

Good luck.

yet early playstation's marketing was based exactly around that, and look at what they accomplished

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, let's just replay Harrison's "greatest hits" so we can conveniently ignore the fact that he isn't remotely the first person to make this proclamation and that people with a lot more clout than he has in the industry have been proclaiming the same thing for years now.

It's definitely a possible future, that's not what I'm saying. My point is I personally would avoid making controversial proclamations like this when I have such a solid history of being wrong.

You don't think your post is a little defensive for a tech you haven't used yet?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you understand the difference between owning digital game and game from streaming.

Imagine one day publishers delist a game, guess which scenario you can still play your game?
I remember when people here told me I didn't own my games because I digitally downloaded them and if the Sony servers went down then I could never play my games again. And now digitally downloading games are owning them, how the goalposts move.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yes once again things will not be the same as before a new paradigm comes to the market. There will be less people making the hardware for physical as there are less people using physical but you can still buy physical movies and media for most major releases. Yes in the future you may not be able to buy actual Playstations, Xboxes, or Nintendo consoles but its not like PC's are going to go extinct.

Wait, you said the market was thriving for movies, now it's just limited to most, not all, most major releases. There's more to movies than summer blockbusters and there's a lot of TV shows that no longer get released physically at all. As someone who wants physical media for just the quality alone, they have now lost out on obtaining many movies and shows due to the impact of streaming.

Even worse, you killed your own argument by saying consoles may go away but PCs will still be around. With that, you've now killed physical games media because physical game media for the PC is practically non existent. Way to go for shooting down your own argument.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I don't see this being mutually beneficial to pubs/devs and Google and if you don't have software producers on board. It won't matter.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful it's anything that significant, but I do believe it'll take away a notable amount of sales

from PS and Xbox at least. Nobody's got shit on Nintendo

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, you said the market was thriving for movies, now it's just limited to most, not all, most major releases. There's more to movies than summer blockbusters and there's a lot of TV shows that no longer get released physically at all. As someone who wants physical media for just the quality alone, they have now lost out on obtaining many movies and shows due to the impact of streaming.

Even worse, you killed your own argument by saying consoles may go away but PCs will still be around. With that, you've now killed physical games media because physical game media for the PC is practically non existent. Way to go for shooting down your own argument.
A thriving market in the face of streaming, I've said many times that things wont be the same as before when a new paradigm comes through. Things dont stay the same when new things come up, there is still a thriving vinyl market where people make a profit but its NOT THE SAME as the vinyl market in the 70s.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
A thriving market in the face of streaming, I've said many times that things wont be the same as before when a new paradigm comes through. Things dont stay the same when new things come up, there is still a thriving vinyl market where people make a profit but its NOT THE SAME as the vinyl market in the 70s.

You have a weird definition of thriving when physical media continues to decline in sales year over year.

Vinyl is actually growing at the moment which is the opposite of physical movies.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes guys, it's just one more launcher on your PC. Even if it gets the next GTA as an exclusive or something, what's the big deal?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes guys, it's just one more launcher on your PC. Even if it gets the next GTA as an exclusive or something, what's the big deal?
...that's not the same thing at all.

Anyway, the thing is, Phil is right, and he's excited, because he's at the helm of it, and he probably either doesn't realize or doesn't care that said statement scares the FUCK out of anyone else who knows anything about this industry.

Like the saying goes... "You can't kill the metal!"

They don't want to kill the metal, they want to OWN the metal. All of it. Forever.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WE DONT HAVE THE INFRASTRUCTURE

the move will be like electric car adoption. While it might be inevitable, it's going to be decades before consoles are phased out.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
When Google gets bored in 2 years and dumps this project or gets hit by huge anti-trust action from EU, it will be interesting to see what Phil says.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Some people sure hate change.

It's fine to be pissed off, but don't bury your head in the sand and think that things haven't been or won't continue to move in this direction. Maybe Stadia fails, maybe it's too soon, but it lays the ground work. Movies, music, books, photos... all media is moving in this direction. At some point it will be cheaper and easier to stream any game to any screen and the battle will be won. I swore I'd keep my DVD and CD collection forever, but dammit, convenience wins.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people here told me I didn't own my games because I digitally downloaded them and if the Sony servers went down then I could never play my games again. And now digitally downloading games are owning them, how the goalposts move.
? You still don't own them. At least with digital download you can still play "your" game when the server is down.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
? You still don't own them. At least with digital download you can still play "your" game when the server is down.

My understanding of digital content is that it is technically more like a "long term rental agreement" than ownership :( If the company goes out of business, the rental contract ends, and you lose everything.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand why certain folks find giving up complete game ownership with google simply because "IT'S THE FUTURE!!!". It frankly sounds stupid and as anti-consumer as you can get. Let alone this sounds worse than Microsoft's original vision for the Xbox One with it's 24 hour online check-in and no used games pitch.

Great strawman you built there. Try again to better represent what other people say.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Phil Harrison will say anything to make the product look good and revolutionary. I'm not taking his words at face value.

I'm going wait and see when this actually goes out to the public and gauge reactions off that.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about Options?
Why does everything has to be THE future and everything is supposed to be dead?
Look at Music and Movies. We still can buy CDs and Blu-Rays