• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How can I play on an airplane? On the subway? While traveling pretty much anywhere? Hotels have shit internet generally. Streaming is garbo. If other people want it then go right ahead but I'll stick with a dedicated game device as long as they keep making them.
5G is coming, mobile networks are ever expanding. might not be an option at launch but in the longer run I can def see people being able to continue their game on those places via mobile networks

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Game streaming will offer an alternative to traditional console gaming, not replace it. Admittedly, playing a graphically-intensive game on a potato laptop or a smartphone is quite alluring. Maybe some people would opt for streaming instead of consoles, but there will continue to be a market for traditional consoles for the foreseeable future, just as there is still a market for physical Blu-rays, for even vinyls.

Good points.

And for all the talk of how streaming tech will evolve into something incredible, eventually, we can (and should) look forward to how physical consoles will evolve like how awesome gaming PC's have become.

-Solid state drives
-4K/60 with the lowest possible input lag

Really like the promise of stadia but then I see we're already living with incredible experiences at excellent value...1X hardware, PSVR + Sony first party, Nintendo innovation + portable indies. Gaming life is good and is getting better!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even get the price argument, honestly. This console generation will probably last, in the end, roughly 6-7 years depending. I wasn't an early adopter of this generation, so I got my PS4 for about 200 dollars a year or so down the line. If I spent that much time subscribed to Stadia, assuming it only charges Netflix prices, the console comes out ahead pretty quickly even considering purchasing games and provides a more stable, "premium" experience with less latency. I would think this would be especially true for the casual crowd Google is supposedly courting with this product who only play a few games and would not spend as much as me on new titles.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Excluding Nintendo, I could see streaming totally replacing digital, and then about 33% physical for enthusiasts. That's about 10 years away imo.

Nintendo's different as they have a big enthusiast collector audience who love physical media, and I don't think Nintendo will embrace streaming unless the tide turns really quickly.

I wonder if Nintendo would have the most to gain by embracing a controlled version of streaming. Controlled, meaning, no competing streamed software if the same game is offered natively on their console (like most indies).

Their strong IP and first party keeps us tied to their hardware but streaming would allow people access to more technically advanced software that couldn't run natively on their hardware.

Nintendo hardware could then truly offer the best of both worlds.

But then that would take eyes off of their games (and third parties who paid licensing fees to be on their console), so I probably haven't fully thought this through.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Except that CD sales have fallen 80% in the last decade, while vinyl sales still only account for 13.7% of all physical sales, as in 86.3% of physical music sales are CDs. And what's more is that streaming now accounts for 75% of all music industry revenue, whereas in 2002, CD sales made up 95.5% of the music industry's revenue.

So despite "stronger than ever" vinyl sales (which obviously isn't true anyway, as the strongest vinyl sales were during the pre-CD era, when it was the consumer audio format of choice), vinyl still only accounts for less than 1% of all music industry revenue.

Basically, you chose the absolute worst possible example to argue that video game streaming will not displace consoles. Physical video game media will undoubtedly continue to exist in some form, as a hobbyist format, just like vinyl. But for the majority of consumers? It's clearly a streaming-only future.

Screen_Shot_2018_09_20_at_2.51.26_PM.png
that's revenue. Streaming is barely profitable.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
I question the notion that there is a market of billions of people waiting to play video games but haven't because of the inconvenience of traditional console gaming. Whatever this form of streaming becomes in the future i think it will be targeted at very much to the same audience console gaming is today. What they showed looks interesting but if your not that into gaming which most of society is not, the idea of spending more money to subscribe to something you may never or rarely use is a no go. I dont think the mobile gaming audience is at all like the console gaming audience.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Stadia will be a compliment. Hard to say how big a compliment. Phil Harrison is shitty at messaging though.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo would have the most to gain by embracing a controlled version of streaming. Controlled, meaning, no competing streamed software if the same game is offered natively on their console (like most indies).

Their strong IP and first party keeps us tied to their hardware but streaming would allow people access to more technically advanced software that couldn't run natively on their hardware.

Nintendo hardware could then truly offer the best of both worlds.

But then that would take eyes off of their games (and third parties who paid licensing fees to be on their console), so I probably haven't fully thought this through.
Yeah so that's the kind of hybrid solution I could see happening. That's kind of what I meant by Nintendo not embracing it fully. They'll allow it for certain third party games, but the tech will be kind of crappy and their own games will be local only.

Feb 21, 2019
They want this so bad.....To be able to sell you a license and not a game....More control...they want it so bad they can taste it.

Mix in that with the rest of the licensing stuff (and what you give up to use it), might as well invite a corporate representative to hang out in your living room all day.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean when one side has zero market share and the other side has 100%, then any shift has to be one way.

The Ooya was a one way shift towards android based home consoles.

It's the size of the shift that matters.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree, but it's a very long road for that.

The only time I've ever had The need for the sort of thing Stadia does is when I travel. But as I always travel by plane, Stadia can't really help me, can it?

The real solution for this issue is and will remain for a long time, the Switch, and or smartphone + Bluetooth controller.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
They want this so bad.....To be able to sell you a license and not a game....More control...they want it so bad they can taste it.

Mix in that with the rest of the licensing stuff (and what you give up to use it), might as well invite a corporate representative to hang out in your living room all day.

Licensing is one of the staples of their core business and ironically enough, the other one is Azure. This is not a coincidence. They're already making massive strides with their Azure VDIs so taking Xbox there is the natural next step. I'm not saying this is a good thing, quite the opposite actually, but MS will combine their two core business practices into one for gaming sometime in the future. Not in the next year or two mind you, but probably 5-7 years from now.

With regards to how hilariously confusing their licensing is, I sat in on an hour long meeting with my company's partner that does our MS EA licensing. It's so confusing I made an off hand comment that managed to knock like, 20 grand off the price. I had no idea until my boss told me. You can literally buy office one of 40 different ways. It's absurd.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I don't disagree that consoles will disappear. Every developer would much rather have consoleless streaming if they could. Consoles and PCs severely wall off a lot of potential customers with their price of entry, so it makes sense that everyone in the industry (besides Nintendo and Sony, I guess) would support and encourage streaming.

The main problem with it is this;

Prices for games will have to be drastically reduced. Right now, a AAA game has access to around 250-300 million people. With streaming, it looks like that will open up a potential market of close to 2 billion. If gaming is to become a streaming service, and with no guarantee that you will have the games you paid for permanently, charging $60 will not fly.......at all. Dedicated gamers with scoff at the price due to a lack of ownership, and casuals and new players will be pushed away by its high cost. The only way forward in a streaming world, is if publishers charge around $20 per game. With a potential market that is close to 8 times the size of the existing one, the risk of making a large budgeted game is mitigated by a much, much larger user base.

But will companies want to make expensive games that players will only need to play once, and be done with it? Probably not. I see a industry dominated with GaaS in the future when streaming becomes the reality, and that bums me out.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I can't play my ps4 on a plane or subway either but it's doing pretty ok

Isn't the point of this streaming stuff that you can do it anywhere on any device?

Also it's doing fine yes but the reason I don't have one yet is because I don't want a static machine that sits at home under a tv. I realize I'm not typical in that way. Again I'm pretty sure streaming is supposed to be different unless I'm missing something.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I love purchasing digitally and as long as I can do that AND stream I am fine with this. As tech becomes more and more energy efficient buying hardcopy games is so wasteful.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the point of this streaming stuff that you can do it anywhere on any device?

Also it's doing fine yes but the reason I don't have one yet is because I don't want a static machine that sits at home under a tv. I realize I'm not typical in that way. Again I'm pretty sure streaming is supposed to be different unless I'm missing something.

Anywhere on any device connected to a very solid internet connection.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5G is coming, mobile networks are ever expanding. might not be an option at launch but in the longer run I can def see people being able to continue their game on those places via mobile networks

Have you seen how much wifi costs on a plane? Or how many tunnels there are whenever you ride a train? I mean sure connectivity will improve with time but I'd rather have a game on a device personally than just hope I can play something when I'm stuck in a tin can for 15 hours.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Anywhere on any device connected to a very solid internet connection.
So major cities and lucky countries with forward thinking public investments.

I don't think it's even over 100 million people.

Mobile isn't nearly enough. 5G is not going to be popular for half a decade. Not even 4G is very much a thing yet. And you will burn your data plan in a couple hours by playing with Stadia - I know because I played a bit with streaming over 4G and it would burn all my 40 GBs in 2 hours at Stadia quality so I run it like they're 240p on YouTube, the shittiest experience. And I live in one of the countries with the cheapest GBs.

Public WiFi? I'll die laughing if they actually say that's the solution.

Access to fiber? You probably are middle class already who can own a console and get an actually good experience.

Edit: oh once 5G gets popular, forget about it being reliable and fast for everyone.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
The big winners with stadia are the AAA game developers.

Christ, I cant imagine how much copies of Madden and FIFA EA could sell if they literally could just sell it through your chrome browser.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's like molyneux. He likes to exaggerate for dramatic affect, regardless of whether the things he's saying holds any actual truth or not.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I really get the feeling this was technology specifically built to further their store and YouTube integration. Gaming feels almost add on. How are they launching a platform this year when the head of the group ( Phil Harrison ) was hired last year and their 1st party studio and head of studio (Jade Raymond) seemingly all came together two weeks ago? I just dont get a good feeling from them from a gamer perspective.

Oct 28, 2017
Bold claim that has been debunked so many times. The infrastructure is just not there, yet, for such services to replace the home systems

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Stadia will be a compliment. Hard to say how big a compliment. Phil Harrison is shitty at messaging though.

"I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that. Having said that, there will be specific game function controllers, potentially like steering wheels that do include vibration or feedback function -- not from us but from third parties."

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the follow up question I would ask (anyone, not just you) is "Ok, but how does this shift correlate with the revenue to those in the music industry in the same period?" . If more people are streaming than ever, but musicians are on balance making even less despite the reach of the platform, then I'm going to say that streaming isn't healthy for the industry despite its pros.

Yep, I totally agree. I'm not pro games streaming at all, I just:

A) hate the fact that so many people on here are just flat out denying games streaming will ever take off, despite all the evidence to the contrary, and

B) hate the 'consumer rights' approach to streaming, which I literally couldn't give a shit about.

In music, streaming has been incredibly, incredibly bad for smaller artists, as streaming services make deals with major labels who get a larger share of royalties, and other labels and artists will get basically nothing.

The exact same thing will happen with indie developers and smaller publishers when video game streaming takes off. That's why it's important to stop pretending streaming won't happen, and to stop thinking about ourselves and how we 'won't own games anymore' or whatever, and instead start a campaign alongside the newly formed video game worker's unions to push for appropiate revenue shares and rights for smaller devs in any future 'Netflix for games'.

Streaming services sit alongside stuff like Uber and Air B&B as part of a neoliberal race to the bottom which pushes down wages and introduces increasingly precarious conditions for workers. We can't stop it happening entirely (that needs to get place at a governmental, policy-making level), but we can shape those conditions by starting the conversation now, instead of ignoring it with denials or "gamerrrrzzzz rise up" pseudo-discourse.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I find the demonisation of the box under the TV to be really weird

It's a box you set up under the TV then leave alone for more than half a decade, and this 20 mins of work every 7 years is now a huge inconvenience?

$400 every 7 years is worse than what I assume will be $20 a month forever?

$20 x 12 = $240, and $240 a year x 7 is $1,680

That's preferable to a $400 box? I mean, even if it's $10 a month for Stadia that's still $800

I'll take the box, lack of input lag and ownership every day of the week

Well said. Nothing wrong with paying for stadia if you're away from home, but monthly bills are the enemy, not our friends.

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
So the follow up question I would ask (anyone, not just you) is "Ok, but how does this shift correlate with the revenue to those in the music industry in the same period?" . If more people are streaming than ever, but musicians are on balance making even less despite the reach of the platform, then I'm going to say that streaming isn't healthy for the industry despite its pros.
Now this is a valid point and I agree, once you stop selling games at an artificial 70 a pop on launch day you are receiving only the lowest fee what the customer is willing to pay. so again the only way that is not happening is if streaming platforms will charge the consumer enough to even out the pay to developers/publishers, also I can see some form of advertisement (not per say the way it happens on mobile) be an extra way for developers to earn money to balance out the low costs.

75% of the revenue the music industry made last year is more than 100% of the revenue made each year between 2010 and 2015. https://www.riaa.com/u-s-sales-database/

that's revenue. Streaming is barely profitable.

...for distributors, yes, because of the royalty fees they are paying to publishers and creators.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I think calling this an inevitable move to streaming is just short sighted and wishful thinking for those that wish to control the market even more.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Well said. Nothing wrong with paying for stadia if you're away from home, but monthly bills are the enemy, not our friends.
You say that, but Game Pass is the happiest I have found myself in a while. (The standard of provided content for money, in my eyes).

Then there's paying to pay online, which I disdain.

There's room for both extending past your blanket statement.

Feb 21, 2019
Licensing is one of the staples of their core business and ironically enough, the other one is Azure. This is not a coincidence. They're already making massive strides with their Azure VDIs so taking Xbox there is the natural next step. I'm not saying this is a good thing, quite the opposite actually, but MS will combine their two core business practices into one for gaming sometime in the future. Not in the next year or two mind you, but probably 5-7 years from now.

With regards to how hilariously confusing their licensing is, I sat in on an hour long meeting with my company's partner that does our MS EA licensing. It's so confusing I made an off hand comment that managed to knock like, 20 grand off the price. I had no idea until my boss told me. You can literally buy office one of 40 different ways. It's absurd.
Ha! Thats nuts!

But yeah, I don't think Google cares one iota about "games" (and to an extent neither does Microsoft). It always been a battle for the living room. More ways to monitize you.